• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lamar Smith's revenge: The "Big Brother is watching" bill

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Well, that's your life.
LOL I like how you did that to my post! How do you know there is nothing good in my life? Honestly the only thing I don't have is wealth! That withstanding I have a great life! :D

:(No one cares that you were in the military.:( We get that you're old already.:p With that said, a person does not need to be in the military to know what the soldiers are over there for. I can't remember the last time off of the top of my head. It's probably WWII for the threat of it along with Pearl Harbor.
Which was the last time our freedom required protecting from our military. All the wars and police actions since have been under the guise of "National Security"!

No. Unless you have proof that they're already doing this then it isn't a valid argument.
And neither is your fear that they automatically will violate your privacy without cause. Sure it is likely to happen, but you are calling the fire department before the forest dries to tinder!

The government could if they wanted to for any reason. Did you read the first post?
And if the government was doing it now you wouldn't know about it. At least this way, you know they CAN be checking on you if they think there is a reason. Right now they don't have to notify you they have a court order to investigate you. So the difference would be they don't have to ask the court for permission, and your history will be accessible. A distinction to be sure, but for law enforcement, a very time (possible life) saving one! After all it is better to catch a criminal for what (s)he has done than to have to wait till/if they do it again! Or at least that's what the cops who taught my criminal justice classes felt! So if stopping a Jeffery Dahmer before he kills another victim can be helped by this kind of law, but it allows someone to find out you or I are secret My Lil Pony fanatics, I call that a win!

What does that have to do with people who don't do those things and value their own privacy? People like the Kardashians willingly put themselves on television to be followed because it makes them a ton of money.
Probably nothing. It may have been a bad example.

As I said, there's a difference between your partner and the government.
Yeah, you can get killed by your partner if they find something that really pisses them off! The government will just take your stuff and throw you in prison for a couple of decades... Possibly dead v Possibly a prisoner... The government is the safer bet!:)

It's the fact that the government can get this information by just asking for it. You read the first post right? Here, let me remind you:
Sounds a bit like being a parent to me! When a mom or dad suspects their child of doing something wrong, they can and should violate your privacy. Cause if we find drugs or evidence of other illicit behavior, it is our duty to you to intervene. After turning 18, and you're on our own... It's the government's turn to baby sit!

"Myth has it" is all that needs to be said about this point.
Yeah, but it's one that hasn't been busted! :p

Vernikova

Champion
LOL I like how you did that to my post! How do you know there is nothing good in my life? Honestly the only thing I don't have is wealth! That withstanding I have a great life! :D

Because you yourself said that you don't have anything good in your life. I was just repeating what you told me.

You said:
Because there really isn't anything good in my life

Which was the last time our freedom required protecting from our military. All the wars and police actions since have been under the guise of "National Security"!

So you agreed with what I said and just argued with me for no reason.

And neither is your fear that they automatically will violate your privacy without cause. Sure it is likely to happen, but you are calling the fire department before the forest dries to tinder!

It's a power that they can abuse in the future. That's what I'm arguing. Do you not understand the words that you read? You're even admitting that it's likely to happen. If you're going to play the devil's advocate then at least be good at it.

And if the government was doing it now you wouldn't know about it.

Are they doing it now? If your answer isn't "Yes" with actual facts to back it up then stop using that argument. It's a poor argument because you have no proof that it's true and you're using it to try and disprove my argument that this isn't a good idea because it can be abused.

At least this way, you know they CAN be checking on you if they think there is a reason. Right now they don't have to notify you they have a court order to investigate you. So the difference would be they don't have to ask the court for permission, and your history will be accessible.

I'd be so much more comfortable knowing that they have to go to a court first than knowing that they don't even have to do that.

A distinction to be sure, but for law enforcement, a very time (possible life) saving one! After all it is better to catch a criminal for what (s)he has done than to have to wait till/if they do it again! Or at least that's what the cops who taught my criminal justice classes felt! So if stopping a Jeffery Dahmer before he kills another victim can be helped by this kind of law, but it allows someone to find out you or I are secret My Lil Pony fanatics, I call that a win!

What? What? How would one's search history aid the police in finding a murderer? Are they going to look into every person who searches "Bob's murder", "opinions on bob's murder" or "how to obtain a gun" on the internet? That's ridiculous. What you're describing is much better served with more security cameras being placed in the streets and not being able to access people's search history.

Probably nothing. It may have been a bad example.

It was.

Yeah, you can get killed by your partner if they find something that really pisses them off! The government will just take your stuff and throw you in prison for a couple of decades... Possibly dead v Possibly a prisoner... The government is the safer bet

I have no words for this. This is an argument that has nothing to do with what I said.

Sounds a bit like being a parent to me! When a mom or dad suspects their child of doing something wrong, they can and should violate your privacy. Cause if we find drugs or evidence of other illicit behavior, it is our duty to you to intervene. After turning 18, and you're on our own... It's the government's turn to baby sit!

Except, you know, the government isn't our parent.

Yeah, but it's one that hasn't been busted! :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

I'm seriously working harder at pretending to take you seriously than answering your posts.

Anyway, you agreed with me that this is something that they can abuse and furthered that by saying it's likely to happen. There is nothing more that you can offer to this "discussion" when you yourself state that they can and probably will abuse this power and just ****ed your own argument about this being a good idea. Unless, of course, you are okay with the government abusing their power in which case there's nothing more that I can say to you. Judging from your other discussion in this thread though, it seems you're not okay with it since it goes against what you fought for in the military so yeah.

And neither is your fear that they automatically will violate your privacy without cause. Sure it is likely to happen

Last edited:

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
LOL I better proof read my posts better Rebecca! That wasn't what I meant to say but darn it, it is funny!