• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lana Hooks A Kyogre!? (1063)

DatsRight

This bothers me, because I feel like you would be fine with a random character swatting flies left and right, while presuming they are better than someone like Mallow, who really hasn't shown what she's capable of since she's never been in a serious battle like say Kiawe or Ash.

If a random person is allowed to have "unknown battle strengths" as an excuse for why they seem overpowered, I'm not sure why Mallow couldn't either.

I mean Lillie is one thing since she has actually battled, but of course I believe its confirmed she's training (if I'm not mistaken), didn't she say she was training (at some point) by battling James (Hobbes), even if it was very early in the series. But Lillie is the only one who I can agree with being actually "weaker" than her classmates, and it being unbelievable for her to be so strong (if not for I believe that she's training), but I can't imagine how you would be able to gauge someone like Mallow.

I mean it's not everything but a Pokemon's own skills/strengths should be taken into account here. Mallow might not have been able to do much with Bounsweet, and its always at the choice of the writers, so I think its unfair to say she wouldn't be able to hold her own. Especially with all the battles, strategies, tactics she's seen over the episodes.

Well a random character at least has the benefit of ambiguous experience rather than having their run completely charted to show they did next to nothing, so yes. Even then though an episode of curbstomps just gets boring for me with ANY character. I prefer Ash has been more focused on having an actual personality this series over loads of bad guy curbstomps like in XY for example, since even with the excuse that XY Ash was experienced, it got dull really fast. We get it. He's a badass. Anything else about him?

They want their character to look awesome put them in a proper even handed battle for once where they have to use genuine tactics.

It is a good thing. It is an action packed episode with villains, an evolution, very little humor/meme faces, etc. If this ep took place back in XY people would be cheering.

For one perspective, from another it's a faux action packed episode with jobbers, a plot armour boost, very little characterisation and pathos, etc.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Didn't lived up to my hype for this episode but I still found it quite enjoyable, though I would've expected more build up for Brionne evolving. Also Lana's as a character won me over in the last couple of episodes and she's definitely my personal favourite out of the SM girls now.

Kintaro

Banned
It's a mediocre thing.

SM succeeds when it does slice of life, but action packed eps like this are truly the highlight. As I said, if this was an XY episode it'd probably play out mostly the same (just with different characters of course), and be considered one of the best eps of the series. Notice how there was barely any humor or meme humor in this episode, Ash didn't act like a moron (ignoring his design, he felt like XY Ash in this episode), and so forth.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
There are no people named Mary Sue in Pokemon nor any characters in this show that are Mary Sues. No one is absolutely perfect in this anime, people of SPPf! That and I think some are just a bit salty that Lana is just that popular! I personally find Mallow best SM girl but you have to accept reality, son!

Actually, it's funny how some including me underestimated Lana from the beginning. We thought she would be this girl that would be a third-wheel character like Sophocles and Mallow but look where we are now!

Back to the episode, we got Torracat battling and Primarina on the cast so this episode is a good one to me for that!

Kintaro

Banned
I'm just glad we finally got to see a water pokemon trainer bond with a water pokemon legendary. I bet if Misty got to bond with Kyorge back in AG people would have went crazy over it. Lana has more impressive feats as a water pokemon trainer than Misty did if you compare their first 120 eps to each other. Lana may truly become a water pokemon master in time.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
She is the choosen one of this series even trumping ash, she is getting too many freebies without putting any efforts.
Freebies? Her Popplio deserved to evolve and Ash was given a Z-Crystal and Z-Ring by Tapu Koko, unlike Lana, who got her Z-Ring through finding it and she earned her first Z-Crystal. She was given her other Z-Crystal because she showed effort into training her Popplio to Ia. And Brionne evolved because it recently battled and went deep underwater, trying to help Lana by exerting itself. If she got a freebie out of her second Z-Crystal, then so did Ash from his first and maybe even from his first permanent Electrium Z, seeing as he wasn't mean to receive that one from Hala.

Kintaro

Banned
What do you think of Lillie?

She's fine, but I don't like the way they changed her story from the game into the anime. The way the anime handled the whole Lusamine story was a bit lackluster I thought compared to the game version. Besides that Lillie has some cute moments, but unfortunately she doesn't get as much screentime as she should, probably due to the huge cast. Her focus episodes also are too few and inbetween, she really should have gotten more focus and more than just 1 pokemon after 120+ episodes...

DatsRight

I just find myself so apathetic to Lana and Mallow. They just lack a weak spot, no properly limelighted flaws or hinderances, and they somehow got to such a level that the show acknowledges them as badass without EVER having to suffer a single KO. They have never been the underdog or a 'loser', which makes them feel far more stagnant, tending to bulk up by "falling upward" instead of directly improving on failures and weaknesses (plot armour makes this common with a lot of the anime's protagonists, but these two don't tend to have much else to them to balance it out).

The other four HAVE done such things, even in spite of similar moments of glorification and plot armour, they have a real depth of humility to them and I just sympathise with them more for it. Plus it leaves them with more plot potential, as mentioned Sophocles' plot last episode had more relevant agency and development while Mallow and Lana's tend to keep going back to beating up an antagonist that never really stood a chance, the show just tends to run out of a drive for them (again no flaws doesn't help) and so just empowers them in a shallow way.

Maybe it's just 'Flanders shaudenfreude'. I don't root for characters that are always dignified and given control, I root for underdogs that take beatings and struggles to get to where they are, that are allowed to be complete losers sometimes. Seeing moments Ash lands on his ass and Lana lands elegantly on her feet just leaves me rooting for Ash and disinterested in Lana because Ash is the fallible one (in fairness he wasn't last series and I was disinterested in him then, this isn't discriminate). I always thrive for that moment the super dignified and bestowed character "falls flat on their butt", even if I might feel bad about wanting that if it actually happens afterwards (hope I didn't curse Lana with financial woes :p).

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
hrm.... 5 / 10

I liked the first half of this episode. The fishing competition was fun to watch. the whole hunter part was actually pretty exciting with all of Ash's pokemon out and working together. Special mention to Pikachu 1 v 3ing some ground types in one scene. I noted it and chuckled a bit. I also like how Meltan didn't actually do any battling. It was noted in the kantonian gym episode that it didn't listen to orders so I was wondering if that would play into the fight at all but rather than it actually battling, It dismantled the Carvanha Submarine which is good. It's a glutton if nothing else so this was a way to have it contribute with something it enjoyed doing while keeping the whole disobeying thing in the back burner for a later date. Overall I have little to no complaints about the first half of this episode. No, it's after that which I'm not to keen on.

After the hunters go blasting off Team Rocket style *with absolutely none of their luck might I add* it was kinda all downhill from there. First off, throughout the whole time Lana was trying to catch Kyogre up until it was specifically stated that Kyogre was still angry, I'm wondering why Lana was still trying to catch Kyogre. At one point, she's sinking into the ocean at the speed of Kyogre not letting go of her rod even though there's absolutely no reason to put herself in danger like that. I don't even care that "Kyogre is still angry" she definitely woulda drowned if it weren't for the classic Deus ex Evolution we get sometimes. This whole scenario was to give Brionne an excuse to evolve and that was it. It's needlessly forced. Then there's the whole reeling in Kyogre. Future Connection starts playing, Lana hops on Primarina with a plan. This is supposed to be a hype moment. Then, repeating animations, holding on shots for way to long, and literally nothing happening for a good minute until Primarina starts singing. I'm not even mad that they ruined what was supposed to be such a perfect scene. I'm more insulted and a little bit impressed than anything else. "Lana hooks a Kyogre" How the actual heck could they ruin such a title? How indeed.

That's not to say this was a bad episode. Just a very poorly handled one. At least the later half of it anyway. I liked the beginning of it as previously stated.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Freebies? Her Popplio deserved to evolve and Ash was given a Z-Crystal and Z-Ring by Tapu Koko, unlike Lana, who got her Z-Ring through finding it and she earned her first Z-Crystal. She was given her other Z-Crystal because she showed effort into training her Popplio to Ia. And Brionne evolved because it recently battled and went deep underwater, trying to help Lana by exerting itself. If she got a freebie out of her second Z-Crystal, then so did Ash from his first and maybe even from his first permanent Electrium Z, seeing as he wasn't mean to receive that one from Hala.

Yes she got freebies, she didn't deserved one bit to get primanium z crystal just because she trained one full night and brionne's evolution is one of the worst and most forced evolutions in anime, there were many pokemon who battled more and had more training than it but still didn't evolve. Ash got free z ring and electrium z but atleast his first crstal broke away showing h needs to earn it i dont see lana's primanium z breaking it was also a freebee. It ridiculous how much people defend lana here. Also ash getting 5 pokemon is low point because by this time he always have full team.

Hanto

Water Addiction
brionne's evolution is one of the worst and most forced evolutions in anime
Charizard spent just 3 episodes as Charmeleon. And do not forget about Goomy evolution skiffle.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Charizard spent just 3 episodes as Charmeleon. And do not forget about Goomy evolution skiffle.

That's why I sid one of the worst, besides goomy's evolution was rushed because it had to leave the team midway and for charizard it was way back in OS when the show was more based on travelling and humour as compared to SM where training and battling are somewhat important (even if it is less as compared to previous series) so it should be excused, brionne's evlution is comparable to torchic's and fennikin's evolution who evolved without doing anything.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Yes she got freebies, she didn't deserved one bit to get primanium z crystal just because she trained one full night and brionne's evolution is one of the worst and most forced evolutions in anime, there were many pokemon who battled more and had more training than it but still didn't evolve. Ash got free z ring and electrium z but atleast his first crstal broke away showing h needs to earn it i dont see lana's primanium z breaking it was also a freebee. It ridiculous how much people defend lana here. Also ash getting 5 pokemon is low point because by this time he always have full team.

Ash had four in Kanto by this point because Charizard didn't listen... He has five now, but he's at the lowest point ever blablabla. Lana has two pokémon and gets all the freebies. Seriously, you're lacking counting skills.

Brionne trained plenty, every other scene in the background it was training with its balloons. It only didn't do anything if you ignore everything it did. Haters gonna hate and they're going to make up stuff and twist information just so they can continue hating this series.

DatsRight

Ash had four in Kanto by this point because Charizard didn't listen... He has five now, but he's at the lowest point ever blablabla. Lana has two pokémon and gets all the freebies. Seriously, you're lacking counting skills.

Brionne trained plenty, every other scene in the background it was training with its balloons. It only didn't do anything if you ignore everything it did. Haters gonna hate and they're going to make up stuff and twist information just so they can continue hating this series.

I think it's the fact that they skipped most of the key 'in-between' excess for Lana and Primarina.

Like you said Charizard may have evolved early, but it was disobedient because of it. Ash's training was still put into question for a long amount of time afterwards. And this was only for ONE member of his team.

Lana and Primarina don't really have any flaws or personal trials between them throughout the series, stuff to flesh them out and make them feel fallible, they've always cut straight to the positives and power boosts. Most of the time when they weren't doing that they were pretty underplayed, doing cutesy stuff in the background. Their bubble making agenda also hasn't really been developed enough at all to give them arc focus. There's not NEARLY as much of a character and arc to appreciate them reaching this far with, they're just 'the competent ones' of the group.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Lana and Primarina don't really have any flaws or personal woes between them throughout the series, stuff to flesh them out and make them feel fallible, they've always cut straight to the positives and 'badass' stuff. Their bubble making agenda also hasn't really been developed enough at all to give them arc focus. There's not NEARLY as much of a character and arc to appreciate them reaching this far with.
We've heard you the first hundred times that you don't think Lana is interesting. Whether her character is interesting or not wasn't what the conversation was about.