• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lana Hooks A Kyogre!? (1063)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1063.jpg

Lana Hooks A Kyogre!?

Ash & co. have gone to the seaside to fish for some Pokémon. However, while doing so, Ash and Lana get separated from the group in a whirlpool and stumble upon the Legendary Pokémon, Kyogre. Kyogre is under attack from some Pokémon hunters and ends up poisoned. It is up to Ash and Lana to help the Kyogre and save it from the hunters. Will they succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
And the most underwhelming evolution in over 10 years goes to.... -.-
Seriously undeserved
The hunters were cool though, unlike a certain bald rich guy

1.5/10

Sucks Kyogre got an entire episode before Rayquaza, the less focused of the weather trio in the anime...

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
I loved the fact that Sun and Moon series made us all question wether Lana was gonna catch Kyogre or not. If this was an episode of a past series we would have been 100% sure Lana wouldn't capture it. Still, I love the fact that Lana has a Primarina but on the other hand I would have liked to see more effort to acquire the evolution. And Primarina knows Sing now, even thought I was waiting for Sparkling Aria. Overall was a good episode with great animation, although I was waiting a little bit more action, not simply chasing Kyogre.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
I'm really happy Brionne evolved, sing was a surprise but not an unwelcome one, and this pretty much confirms it'll get more focus later to learn Sparkling Aria (unless it also learned that upon evolution but just hasn't used it yet). Either way the z move will be something to look forward to.

It was also cool that Ash got to use like, his entire team here a little bit. Who'd have thought a Lana episode could work in Ash's pokemon better than most Ash episodes. Plus Brionne and Eevee got to fight too.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
She is the choosen one of this series even trumping ash, she is getting too many freebies without putting any efforts.
Comments like these signal mostly haters to me. Lana has two pokémon and aside from Primarinium Z she never received a single freebie in this entire show, but somehow the writers are putting her ahead of Ash even though he has five pokémon with him, more Z-Crystals than the rest of the classroom combined, and tied with both Lana and Mallow at two evolutions in Sun and Moon (four if you count Nebby)

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
There wasn't a point to watching this episode, the 20 second preview told you everything you needed to know.

I can't say the same about the Vikavolt Race episode from last week which held a few cards close to the chest. That made it very enjoyable to watch, while this was not.

I'm pretty disappointed, since after last week I expected surprise, if not hoped to be surprised.

DatsRight

Comments like these signal mostly haters to me. Lana has two pokémon and aside from Primarinium Z she never received a single freebie in this entire show, but somehow the writers are putting her ahead of Ash even though he has five pokémon with him, more Z-Crystals than the rest of the classroom combined, and tied with both Lana and Mallow at two evolutions in Sun and Moon (four if you count Nebby)

I guess it's because Ash put more hard work and agency into those elements, while Lana tends to stream through without too much effort. Like, her and Primarina don't even have a single personality flaw between them, Ash and his team have TONS.

Plus the fact Lana is kind of a 'Mary Sue played for laughs', being inherently good and perfect in nearly everything the class does is a delicate premise, gag sports are harmless, but having her instantly better than Ash at battling and raising Pokemon with none of the labour or losses he suffered is a very undermining premise. Imagine her acing the league when it is pretty much her first official battle, her Pokemon have never even been KOed once.

I can't help but feel Lana would have worked better as an 'ensemble darkhorse' guest character than a protagonist.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I guess it's because Ash put more hard work and agency into those elements, while Lana tends to stream through without too much effort. Like, her and Primarina don't even have a single personality flaw between them, Ash and his team have TONS.

Plus the fact Lana is kind of a 'Mary Sue played for laughs', being inherently good and perfect in nearly everything the class does is a worrying concern, gag sports are harmless, but having her instantly better than Ash at battling and raising Pokemon with non of the labour or losses he suffered is a very undermining premise. I can't help but feel Lana would have worked better as an 'ensemble darkhorse' guest character than a protagonist.
Where do you even get the narrative from that she is portrayed better than Ash at battling and raising pokémon? It's not even implied anywhere.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
There wasn't a point to watching this episode, the 20 second preview told you everything you needed to know.

I can't say the same about the Vikavolt Race episode from last week which held a few cards close to the chest. That made it very enjoyable to watch, while this was not.

I'm pretty disappointed, since after last week I expected surprise, if not hoped to be surprised.
my gosh if anyone liked the sophocles episode and not this one, I am very worried about pokemon's future and their audience's wants.

DatsRight

Where do you even get the narrative from that she is portrayed better than Ash at battling and raising pokémon? It's not even implied anywhere.

It's the IF, since she is going to the league after all and they are seemingly building her up as more and more powerful without much trial and error. She could have a more humble role, but her character right now kinda plays against that.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It's the IF, since she is going to the league after all and they are seemingly building her up as more and more powerful without much trial and error.
Can't find any 'if' in your first post here... nor do I see that build up much. Sure she gets a bit stronger over time but seriously, going to the league doesn't mean she's stronger than Ash. You're missing a ton of logical steps in there, one does not even remotely imply the other especially since everybody can enter the league.

DatsRight

Can't find any 'if' in your first post here... nor do I see that build up much. Sure she gets a bit stronger over time but seriously, going to the league doesn't mean she's stronger than Ash. You're missing a ton of logical steps in there, one does not even remotely imply the other especially since everybody can enter the league.

As said the problem was there isn't as much transition, there weren't any obstacles for Lana that often to get to where she is now, while Ash there were TONS of them. I was going back to the point others made of her 'getting freebies' which you countered with Ash's larger quota. Ash's is larger but even with the same amount as Lana he had to work a lot more for it (well....besides the Z Ring of course).

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
my gosh if anyone liked the sophocles episode and not this one, I am very worried about pokemon's future and their audience's wants.

The primary difference between this week's episode, and last week's, was a tenseless battle with an evil fodder villain. A COTD like that who gets "blasted off" is no different from Team Rocket - he even had a mechanical Carvanha submarine, much like TR's old Magikarp subs.

To me, that seems like the wrong thing to be worried about.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Good episode for best girl. She deserves it.

The fishing concept plus Ash and Lana working together made this episode feel like a part 2 of the Wishiwashi episode back during the Akala arc. But this time it's more equal since Lana gets to battle while fishing instead of needing Ash to save her like with the Alomomola.

The song Primarina sang to calm Kyogre down was the same one she learned back in episode 106. Good use of continuity, and the Z-Move debut is saved for later (though I'm honestly not sure how Oceanic Operetta could've helped here).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Decent episode but the rushed evolution and lack of tension for most of the episode had me bored. Nice to see Torracat doing something again and the classmates in the begging were pretty funny