• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lanturn Discussion

Soperman

The One and Only
The Amazingness that is LANTURN
171.gif

STATS
HP: 125
ATTACK: 58
DEFENSE: 58
SPECIAL ATTACK: 76
SPECIAL DEFENSE: 76
SPEED: 67

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/171.shtml
Lanturn has a nice niche of being one of two pokemon that are Electric and Water type, and one of the two with Volt Absorb. Sadly, it has very mediovre stats, except for HP. Lanturn is a pokemon that, when used correctly, can do really well in RU. However, anything past that is unlikely thanks to his mediocre stats. Or is it?

OFFENSIVE MOVESET
Lanturn @ Life Orb
Volt Absorb
Timid
120 Hp / 252 Sp. Atk / 136 Spd
- Agility
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Surf/Scald
This is a set a recently came up with. Lanturns base speed is terrible, however, with Timid and one Agility, it becomes a respectable 448 Speed. With that out of the way, he can kick some butt. Boltbeam coverage lets him hit just about everybody in RU. Surf is for power, Scald is if you want the potential to burn. Either way, with LO, it can do pretty well.

Imma be a glowy Sponge!
Lanturn @ Leftovers
Volt Absorb
Bold
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spd
- Amnesia
- Toxic
- Protect / Aqua Ring
- Scald/Discharge
This set is to wall pokes, or just annoy them. Amnesia to boost Sp. Def to 376. Toxic and Protect for Toxicstall. However, Aqua Ring lets him heal 1/8 of his health every turn. Scald for burn, but Discharge could paralyze.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Bold, Volt Absorb
EVs: 220 HP/252 Def/36 SpA
- Stockpile
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

This is a more defensive set. Stockpile increases both Defenses by one stage, up to the max possible, three. With a couple of boosts, Lanturn can do quite well.
Scald and Thunderbolt are for dual STAB, and they have a chance to Paralyze or Burn the enemy. Ice Beam adds coverage and forms BoltBeam combo. Set courtesy of Haru Glory

Now, Lanturn has Water Absorb for DW, however, it is not out yet, so I haven't been using that. IMO, this ability isnt as great as Volt Absorb for three reasons:
1. Water does half damage anyway
2. More electric types in RU than water types
3. More pokemon can learn Thunderbolt
So I wont be covering it. Feel free to discuss its uses anyway.
Thanks for reading! Now discuss the amazingness that is Lanturn.

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria
lanturn is actually a pretty cool mon and a surprisingly good check to an abundant amount of rain teams. He can be used pretty well for a cool amount of things and with volt absorb it makes him a pretty good check to thundurus. Anyways thats all I have to say pretty cool mon with some pretty cool sets.

LinksOcarina

The true master
This is actually a good counter-balance with rain teams. Throw it on there gives you bulk in the rain, stab with water and then, if given thunder, huge damage bonus.

He is also a good recipient for stat boosts via baton pass; anything throwing speed up and passed on should watch out for Lanturn, the HP gives him a fair amount of bulk to work with, even though it is pretty frail otherwise.

I can see him going in some UU teams with some finagling...although OU is a bit of a stretch.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
Take off the offensive set. 76 SP.A is terrible for a sweeper, even in RU. Agility sets barely work for things like LUCARIO, why would you think an RU poke could pull it off?

Soperman

The One and Only
Take off the offensive set. 76 SP.A is terrible for a sweeper, even in RU. Agility sets barely work for things like LUCARIO, why would you think an RU poke could pull it off?

Cuz I used it. And Lucario cant pull it off because of so many common weaknesses (like Mach Punch)

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Why not trying a Defensive set with Stockpile? It increases both Defenses by one stage, very useful.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Bold, Volt Absorb
- Stockpile
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

As I've said above, Stockpile increases both Defenses by one stage, up to the max possible, three. With a couple of boosts, Lanturn can do quite well.
Scald and Thunderbolt are for dual STAB, and they have a chance to Paralyze or Burn the enemy. Ice Beam adds coverage and forms BoltBeam combo.

Soperman

The One and Only
Why not trying a Defensive set with Stockpile? It increases both Defenses by one stage, very useful.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Bold, Volt Absorb
- Stockpile
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

As I've said above, Stockpile increases both Defenses by one stage, up to the max possible, three. With a couple of boosts, Lanturn can do quite well.
Scald and Thunderbolt are for dual STAB, and they have a chance to Paralyze or Burn the enemy. Ice Beam adds coverage and forms BoltBeam combo.

I was thinking about that, but the maximum number of times you could use that was 3. Then again, that's x2.5 defenses. Alright, Ill add it.

LinksOcarina

The true master
Wouldn't it take way too long to set up a stockpile defense though? 3 turns is a lot and all that needs to come in is one super effective hit can pretty much rock it's world.

Also, is the OU Substitute set even still viable in the metagame now?

DragonXmicro

何これ?かえったね。
yes. Lanturn can have potential. if he gets the right combo of moves, maybe instead of using agility, use a pkmn in RU that can QDance + BP to it when neccessary.

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
Yeah, Lanturn's a great pokemon to use in RU, he served my RU team very well. I've heard a lot of teams struggle to deal with it in OU.

It's worth mentioning it has access to Heal Bell, so it can operate as a cleric.

destructo

Lanturn is one of the best mons in NU right now. It takes down fire,water, and electric threats that are common. It also has volt switch to scout. Too bad it probably is going up in RU now

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Lanturn is quite cool in RU. I use a cleric/stockpile set, and it does well tbh.

Then again, I've seen TheFlamingSpade use one in OU, and do ok with it.

destructo

Lantern is a great mon to use in nu and can be used in ru. The monstrous hp can be able to take resisted moves very well and then can volt switch out. It has a much better use in nu where klingklang dominates and can also wall magneton if it doesnt have hp grass or ground. But most of the time, lanturn is out classed by Slowking if you want to use it as a bulky wall becuase of regenerator. Lanturn cannot reliably heal itself so it'll be only useful in a few switch ins with hazards.