• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Last Mission! Get Regieleki & Regidrago!! (1202)

D

Deleted member 384931

I agree, the writing in this series is a disjointed, inconsistent mess; I really don't see myself caring about JN if not for nostalgia.
Like why should I care about Koharu for example? What does she offer that is fresh and makes me invested in her?
Same with Gou tbh. And I also dont like how Journeys removes everything that made the anime unique and replace them with game mechanics, like the Pokémon Eggs,Gous catching and Contests Spectacular.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Worst part of the episode was Ash saying "waku waku" in the beginning.

BobbbidyBob

I don’t hate goh, but I still don’t understand why he wants to catch mew, at first he said he wanted to catch Pokémon to understand mew so he can catch it as in...he wants to be his friend or fell in love with it when he was young or something and in this episode he wants to catch it to study the origins of Pokémon? that’s new....

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Seemed like he was carried by other non-Ash companions, though.

So much I'd give him a full name: Goh Carree Mi Pulease.
Goh didnt win alone.
Gary helped and assisted him through the whole episode
And the two forgotten rivals helped them both in the ends.
This boy just wins it all on the expanse of others

Soniman

Break the Limit
Imagine being such a privileged brat that you need to compare one man’s tenure to a children’s anime to the destruction of cultures carried out by a terrorist organization guilty of genocide.
Goh haters really are just a different breed, absolutely pathetic and gross lol.

Episode was good btw, Gary and Goh’s relationship was the highlight and I’m very glad for the writers finding new life for Gary’s character like this, the team ups between them were sick

Remix2

Goh haters really are just a different breed, absolutely pathetic and gross lol.

Episode was good btw, Gary and Goh’s relationship was the highlight and I’m very glad for the writers finding new life for Gary’s character like this, the team ups between them were sick

So this one random user who go over the top with his post is every goh hater to you guys? you do realize that there people who don’t like for valid reasons right?

D

Deleted member 384931

The problem with Gou is that we dont feel or know his development is deserved or not. He gets stuff or is suddenly an amazing battler without context or prior development.

DatsRight

I definitely understand the critique with Goh since, as with many companions, his goal and arc sometimes feel like they're made up on the fly thus not done that gratifyingly. I do think they have improved as they went along however. I'd argue Project Mew is a more developed tournament idea than something like the showcases for example.

The 'Goh never loses' critique I'd also question since the reasoning behind that is the token format of Project Mew (which I'd argue would have worked well with several other competitions to maintain rivals as a threat even when they can't stack in loads of wins for each character). Goh has arguably had stronger personal losses than several companions, in particular ones that have labelled a flaw that he has to resolve or cases of him simply just not being good enough, both of which the previous Project Mew challenge demonstrated.

His trainer experience is questionable, but it's less in effect of him consistently being an incompetent that's prevented from getting any actual challenges like Misty, May or Serena, but more it feels completely out of order. One episode he'll be logical power level and even get the crap kicked out of him, the other he'll be a powerhouse. It almost feels like one side of the writing team wanna rush things and the other are saying 'no'.

D

Deleted member 384931

The 'Goh never loses' critique I'd also question since the reasoning behind that is the token format of Project Mew (which I'd argue would have worked well with several other competitions to maintain rivals as a threat even when they can't stack in loads of wins for each character). Goh has arguably had stronger personal losses than several companions, in particular ones that have labelled a flaw that he has to resolve or cases of him simply just not being good enough, both of which the previous Project Mew challenge demonstrated.
Well depends, losing is normally a moment where the companion gets development. The only development he got in PM, was that he has to learn to work with others as a team. Which is ridiculous, cause he has demonstrated he can work has a team,even with Team Rocket.Also depends on what you understand under losing: failing the mission or becoming second.

Gingertail24

I definitely understand the critique with Goh since, as with many companions, his goal and arc sometimes feel like they're made up on the fly thus not done that gratifyingly. I do think they have improved as they went along however. I'd argue Project Mew is a more developed tournament idea than something like the showcases for example.

His trainer experience is questionable, but it's less in effect of him consistently being an incompetent that's prevented from getting any actual challenges like Misty, May or Serena, but more it feels completely out of order. One episode he'll be logical power level and even get the crap kicked out of him, the other he'll be a powerhouse. It almost feels like one side of the writing team wanna rush things and the other are saying 'no'.
Yeah it's more developed than showcase, but let's be honest that isn't much of a achievement. Not in a sense that PM is super awful or whatever. But more like that the show always had an issue developing non battling goals. Can't think of one rn that is handled well. Worst case we're mallow cooking goal and Serena showcase. That's probably why they pushed PM to the forefront and calmed down on his catches a lot

Honestly the battle in this episode with the Regis was that it felt really rsuhed. Those two rivals werebt utilized well so they just end up wasting time in this episode which leaves us with the Regis fight being rushed. Like I expected these things to be more of a powerhouse. It basically took them like 1 or 2 shots to go down. There is also the issue with lack of training screentime for not just goh, but especially ash

thor94

Well depends, losing is normally a moment where the companion gets development. The only development he got in PM, was that he has to learn to work with others as a team. Which is ridiculous, cause he has demonstrated he can work has a team,even with Team Rocket.Also depends on what you understand under losing: failing the mission or becoming second.
To Goh, a major loss was definitely ending 2nd or 3rd (so always on the podium) against a competent as motivated rival.
The complete opposite of Ash who always got a major losses (including some worldwide humiliating ones, that would make any normal people want to dig themselve in a hole for a while to be forgotten) to morons or the guy who joined the league at the last minute on a whim or a diabolus ex machina when it mattered.

Fanbase (especially old one), don't like Goh mainly because beside maybe the idealised author version thing, he basically ticks all the boxes of the mary sue test and easily given several thing what was (and even now is) always denied to ash. And winning a major worlwide known tournament will likely remain a denied achievement to ash even in journey.

D

Deleted member 384931

To Goh, a major loss was definitely ending 2nd or 3rd (so always on the podium) against a competent as motivated rival.
The complete opposite of Ash who always got a major losses (including some worldwide humiliating ones, that would make any normal people want to dig themselve in a hole for a while to be forgotten) to morons or the guy who joined the league at the last minute on a whim or a diabolus ex machina when it mattered.

Fanbase (especially old one), don't like Goh mainly because beside maybe the idealised author version thing, he basically ticks all the boxes of the mary sue test and easily given several thing what was (and even now is) always denied to ash. And winning a major worlwide known tournament will likely remain a denied achievement to ash even in journey.
And even if Gou has flaws or character background, it isnt explored enough to make an impact in the long run. Yes, it has been mentioned before he has trouble socializing due maybe Tokio in the past. But Tokio is also the proof he shouldnt be so untrusty towards others and he should trust others.

Also, they have been playing with Gou has trust issues and not alot of friends all over Journeys. But they never give clear indication where it exactly comes from. From being alone? Due Tokio?

Gingertail24

And even if Gou has flaws or character background, it isnt explored enough to make an impact in the long run. Yes, it has been mentioned before he has trouble socializing due maybe Tokio in the past. But Tokio is also the proof he shouldnt be so untrusty towards others and he should trust others.

Also, they have been playing with Gou has trust issues and not alot of friends all over Journeys. But they never give clear indication where it exactly comes from. From being alone? Due Tokio?
Pretty sure goh just had issues socializing just in general. There doesn't need to be a super tragic reason why some people are just like that. What made it worse is that his parents were always traveling, so Goh genuinely had no one to talk to, even his grandmother. Tokio thing just made it worse as outside of Chloe that was goh only friend. So when he felt betrayed , that made him want to isolate himself even more.

This leads to him not understanding others well, such as the whole scorebunny/raboot problem. The team work issue with Gary. The not fully understanding drizzle, the standoffish with Gary when meeting him , the fight with ash in the beginning of JN,.

I think my issue is that maybe they should of had him having trouble making friends with ash. Based on him not really knowing how to make friends outside of Pokemon. But ash character just wouldn't work for that conflict. I'm surprised someone like Chloe even became friends with Goh, but they don't really explore how it was possible. It honestly felt the whole Chloe and goh friendship was just used to introduce Chloe and nothing more

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I dont have any problem with Goh’s personality or complex issues. Personality wise I think his development was good
But his goal and the way It is handled and his captures.. r just terrible for me

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I really really liked this episode!! As usual people rush to judge the episode without even knowing the dialouges behind it or just hating it because "Goh caught a legendary, how dare he' when this time it made perfect sense for him to actually catch a legendary unlike Suicune. And of course you have the usual dumbass Goh hater comments like the infamous Zoruagible and ofc
Tomiyasu is like ISIS. He destroys everything about the anime.
This freaking dude. How deranged do you have to be to make this comment? Like wth? Heck why is this comment still up, when other petty criticisms of certain things get immediately removed. Seriously what the hell is up with the Modding?

Anyway the usual Goh controversy aside, I really think this was a well done episode, although as much as I appreciated the rival parts, I do wish those two didnt appear so we can get more time with the Regis. But then again, I liked their screentime so eh
Will post my proper review in a different post because I dont want to lump it with my post calling out a dumbass making freaking ISIS comparisons of a staff member!

DatsRight

I do think pacing and general power scaling are a key issue for Goh, but the thing is they have been for MULTIPLE characters in the anime since the show started. It's a very annoying flaw but not limited to him one bit.

Another key problem is that Goh was introduced just as the show was getting excited about breaking loads of old barriers which had been kept off bounds for TWO DECADES, and I really think writers are having trouble being patient and utilising them with subtlety. I think this was bound to happen to SOME level, that Ash had a long formulaic run where he couldn't break those for so long and now he and other newcomers suddenly can, but the excess they toy around with these makes it look ridiculous.

As soon as mythicals/legendaries being caught was on the table for example, we got a whole overhaul of unique captures. Ash, Mallow, Goh and the Aether family have all caught one or even two within a rather quick period of time. Goh's stick out more because they have the least story/character emphasis and are treated like another Pokemon to tick off his list due to his goal.