• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Last thought about the Kalos gym battles? *Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenUnfezant

welcome to the comedy zone
Why hate against Valerie?

The X-Scissor thing on Trick Room, the deactivation of Trick Room with Flame Charge...yeah, that sort of stuff. Ash used SUPER STRATEGY in that battle!

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Most were average and too repetitive; alot more repetitive than Showcases I might add.

How were they repetitive? At least they were more than simple attack spam that plagued some other Gyms, like the match against Elesa. *shudders*

As of me, I definitely think that all Gym battles in XY were definitely good. They all had nice strategies and match-ups, where every Pokemon not named Noivern pulled its weight in at least one Gym. Overall, Olympia is the best Gym match for me, while the worst was the one against Grant, with Fletchling being fodder being one of the match's cons.

However, all matches were pretty solid and I can say to be satisfied with how they were handled.

phanpycross

God-king
Pretty solid, felt Sinnoh/Unova had more diversity. overall, not as strong as Sinnoh/Hoenn, but Olympia was bae.

Tier-1: Olympia

Tier-2: Wulfric II ; Ramos

Tier-3: Viola II; Clemont; Valerie; Grant

Tier-4: Wulfric I; Viola I; Korrina
Mal, this tier-list obsession is unhealthy, and you know it.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I liked them all..... except Grant's and Viola's first battle, which the latter I admit is out of spite for how Pikachu lost to a lowly Surskit.

Top 3 would be
1. Wulfric 2.0
2. Korrina, she's still my favorite Gym Leader tho
3. Clemont

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I reckon the third and eight gym battles are the best since Ash took on mega evolutions which made things difficult.

Sidagam

Olympia was definitely the best. Strategy, teamwork, animation. You can't beat it. It really is one of the best battles in the entire series

Wulfric 2 is probably 2nd. Was just wicked seeing Ash Greninja finally working

Ramos, Viola and Korrina were all very solid. I can't really pick between them

Clemont's is difficult to like for me because at the time we knew Goodra was leaving and the final match was between it and Luxray who's only purpose was for this battle. It kind of took me out of it

Valerie and Grant were both fine but not great like the others. Still had some good strategies though

This is up there with the Sinnoh quest as the best badge quest, and if that's any indication the League should be great too. The battles have for the most part been fantastic this series

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
They were really good, people are overreacting because it's not their overrated fave season (DP) and others bash BW's too much when talking about XY's so they growing a little resentment towards the latter.

All said and done they were interesting, the gym leaders had amazing characterization (I can't believe Olympia was such a great character, she's even involved in the TF plot and Greninja arc, who'd ever thought the least interesting GL from the games would be this good in the anime?), the animation was top notch, and most battles were really good; there were no Infernapes and everyone got to star in a gym (bar Noivern, but that's justified I guess).

I'd rank it: Olympia > Wulfric V2 > Ramos > Wulfric V1 > Clemont > Viola V1 > Viola V2 > Grant > Korrina > Valerie

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
If I'm being honest, I only really liked Olympia, Wulfric, and parts of Ramos and Valerie. The rest were meh at beast.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
It's hard to rank them perfectly from 1-10.
I should make a tier-list of PAD regulars. Perhaps phanpy may yet break into the tier-2+.
As long as I'm rightfully Tier 1 or higher I have no objections.

riceant

1. Olympia - I think this is the general consensus here, epic battle, epic strategies, lots of both skill and power involved, including a ton of suspense throughout.
2. Korrina - a lot of people don't like this because of the apparent Mega Lucario nerf and the attack spam. Personally I loved it, as it showed Pikachu's true power (those previous losses to all those lucarios were bullsh*t and everyone knows it). Also I'm biased because Korrina is one of my favourite female pokemon characters
3. Clemont - I didn't like the Bide OP ending, was kind of anticlimactic. That's the only reason it's #3 and not #2 or #1.
4. Wulfric (1st match) - stayed true to the rules of the game with type advantages, defensive stats and pokemon abilities taking full effect - a genuine and absolutely realistic loss
5. Grant - I think people don't like this due to being 2v3, with Fletchling being the fall guy. But Froakie and Pikachu were amazing, there was a lot of strategy and Draco Meteor Climb is a classic that Ash will use over and over again - IMO, the XY equivalent of Countershield.
6. Viola (2nd match) - it was pretty good in its own right, great strategies, but being the first gym, there are so many limitations on poke power and epicness.
7. Wulfric (2nd match) - Bergmite? Seriously? No ice body? Only 2 moves for Talonflame? this would be dead last if it weren't for the epic Mega battle which sort of redeemed it
8. Ramos - pretty good battle in all honesty, but nothing stands out, and being sandwiched between Clemont and Korrina, this one is very forgettable. Also, Jumpluff was pathetic.
9. Valerie - This one breaks so many game rules it's ridiculous. Ash actually used "anti-strategy" to win lmao. Also the battles were forgettable.
10. Viola (1st match) - Nobody really remembers this match except for a reminder of how Ash gets reset at the beginning of every generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.