• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Leads in 5th Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RifleAvenger

See you starside
There are still some pokemon that prefer to be led with, but given team preview it's true that dedicated leads have hit hard times. 3 vs. 3 in particular has little or no want of leads, because doing so means you lose 1/3rd of your staying power and open yourself up to having your lead countered.

However, in Infrared battles (no team preview), having a real lead is still important.

Cryochronic

I run a lead and an anti-lead. Team Preview lets me figure out which to send out first.

Chandelure181

Wait, whut?
But wait. If u play random matchup singles u fight 3 of ur pokes against 3 of ur opponents. Doesnt that mean that a lead is practically useless. at least stealth rock is

leads still work. without stealth rock, dragonite takes in ice beam from life orb nidoking and survives.
taunt is still great for stopping set up.

on these notes, go fire monkey go...

Chandelure181

Wait, whut?
leads still work. without stealth rock, dragonite takes in ice beam from life orb nidoking and survives.
taunt is still great for stopping set up.

Why would nidoking use ice beam? no doubt he survives

I still use an entry hazard lead. You should just adept to the new feature of team preview and create your lead in such a way it is still capable of doing it's job, which isn't too hard.

However I dislike the team preview, it can be very useful in prediction.

Why would nidoking use ice beam? no doubt he survives

Get some knowledge please. Special is Nidokings only viable attack option, since his SpAtt is about the same as it's Att and it's special movepool is far greater.
Nidoking is a special attacker 99% of the times.

BlazingCold

For my OU team my lead is crustle. It's amazing. It's stayed in for-ever. I never see it, and I just look at it's movepool and stats and I go... ka-boom.

MasterLucario

No life till leather
My fav. leads in OU T-tar, gliscor, Swampert (still pretty good as a lead) or metagross. Sometimes Heatran.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
Leads, really, are not meant to lead all of the time, just whenever they can. I've heard of people changing leads when they see the opponent's team, for example leading with a Conkeldurr when u expect TTar.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
People still obviously use Pokemon that set up, but I don't really think anyone uses specific 'leads' anymore. You normally want to try predicting what your opponent is sending out so that you can send out something which can force your opponent to switch out. ^^

multi-scale

On my Sandstorm team, I usually run Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Mixed Tyranitar helps take down threats and is really bulky, as well as setting up sandstorm. Otherwose I run Hippowdon who starts sandstorm, throws up rocks (just realized how weird that sounds), and starts Toxic stalling.
I'm such a noob...

Kotone

Persian with fake out and u-turn with technician still seems viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.