• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

LeafGreen Team Advice

Hello all. This is my first post. I've played Pokemon before but this is the first time I've played seriously. I need advice on how I should build my team and how I should level my Pokemon.

I have a level 12 Squirtle with a docile nature and he has tackle, tail whip, bubble, and withdraw.

I also have a level 9 Pidgey with a calm nature and tackle, sand attack, and gust.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Duke

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Welcome to Serebii.net.

In general, build your team with a variety of types covered. For example, you have a Water and a Normal-Flying Type, which is a good start. You might want to diversify and catch an Electric type like Pikachu, a Fire type like Vulpix, a Rock type like Geodude, an Ice type like Lapras (which you get for free in the Silph Co.), a Dragon type like Dratini, or a Psychic type like Abra. Get my drift? You can model your team however you like, and there are lots of Pokemon to choose from that let you diversify. But you don't want to do this randomly. You have a Squirtle, which will hopefully become a Blastoise. He is weak to Grass types so although you could teach him Ice Beam, a Fire type would stand a much better chance against a Grass type like Blastoise would. You can also apply this to your Pidgey. It is weak against Electric types, so you may want to consider a Ground type to cover that weakness. But then, your Fire type is weak against Water types, and Blastoise won't have the best time against them either. So catch a Grass or Electric type to compensate. This is how you end up with a well balanced team.

Another guide I go by for in-game teams is to not have more than one STAB (Same-Type-Attack-Bonus) attack on one Pokemon, or have at most 2. For example, you might teach your Squirtle Surf. Since they're both the same type (Water), you might be happy with this and maybe go with an Ice attack to beat Grass types. What I'm trying to say here in a nutshell, is don't have too many of the same type of attack on your Pokemon. Your Pidgey would be happy with a Flying attack like Aerial Ace, and a Normal attack like Return, since they cover both of his types.

Another one important thing: use Pokemon that you have fun using, and are comfortable with. You don't have to listen solely to others' advice. Use what you like, and that way you can have the most fun playing. I hope this post helped.

Thanks very much Darth Sabreus, that was very informative. Is there a certain level I should be waiting for before I evolve either of those two pokemon?

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Up to you. Usually, lower stage Pokemon learn attacks faster i.e. at earlier levels, but they may be harder to train since the could be weaker. You can check Bulbapedia to see when each of your desired Pokemon learns the attacks you want. I personally evolve as soon as I can, since any attack it learns later on can be easily reached when training for a gym or the Elite Four.

Are there certain roles that fit a pokemon better due to its stats that I should be training them for (i.e Blastoise as a tank, Crobat as an annoyer/harasser.)

I also picked up a Zubat, it's level 13 with a Naive nature and it has Leech Life, Astonish, and Supersonic. Any suggestions for that?

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Zubat is a nice choice. Keep in mind that it won't evolve into Crobat since you are unable to obtain any Pokemon not native to Kanto i.e. you can only get Kanto Pokemon pre-Elite Four. Therefore, you will only get as far as Golbat pre-E4. And yes, Blastoise can work as an tank, and Golbat as an annoyer. Generally though, this doesn't matter as such for in-game teams. My suggestion would be just to play the game as is, and not worry too much about the roles of each Pokemon. I would only go as far as keeping Blastoise as a mixed attacker, Pidgeot as a Physical attacker as well as Golbat. The same applies for any other Pokemon you choose to use.

Golbat
Naive Nature
-Poison Fang
-Steel Wing
-Aerial Ace
-Confuse Ray

Poison Fang and Aerial Ace get STAB, and Poison Fang can poison opponents with the same effect as Toxic, so it's a decent move. Steel Wing let you hit Rock types effectively, and Confuse Ray is for confusing, of course.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Well they can be used for in-game teams, but you won't really need to go that deep into the "mechanics" of Pokemon battling when it comes to story mode. Like if you were to catch a Chansey and use it as a Heal Bell user with support like Thunder-Wave and Toxic, then yeah it would be okay for in-game, and even better for competitive. It's not really necessary for in-game though. Like I mentioned above though, it's purely up to you.