• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

League Mono-type Water team

X-Lucario

King of Losers
So long story short I became the water gym leader in a league and Ive done all I can think of to create a water team capable of standing a fighting chance. I am here asking for some help with this team in order to become the best water gym leader I can become. So please help and thank you for any advice whatsoever, I should mention that none of the following were bred for ivs:

Swampert@rocky helmet
Adamant
Evs: Hp 252, Atk 252
, def 4
Torrent
Stealth rocks
aqua tail
earthquake
avalanche

I chose swampert for my team because his type gives him an immunity to one of water types worst predators... by making him helpless against the other, but not all is lost because he can lay down stealth rocks, however I'm thinking of replacing him with a seismitoad because frankly it might do the job better.

Tentacruel@black sludge
Timid
Evs:hp 252, spdef 252, spe 4
clear body
toxic spikes
rapid spin
scald
protect

This one is pretty self explanatory, but i guess i will explain anyway. It both serves as a setter of an entry hazard and remover of all of the same. however I chose tentacruel for this because his typing gives me a fighting chance against grass pokemon. Also he serves as a special tank.

Cloyster@focus sash
Jolly
Evs:Atk 252, Spe 252, hp 4
skill link
Shell smash
Icicle spear
Rock blast
Ice shard

I actually really proud of my cloyster, with skill link it always deal 5 its with multi attack moves. Combine that with shell smash and a focus sash and the only thing I need fear is death itself! Quite literally actually, shell smash is an amazing move as it allows you to gain speed, attach and special attack all in one turn! On the downside you pay steeply with you def and spdef. This means that cloyster rides a narrow line between defeat and Victory. Also Its ice stab is great for destroying those pesky grass types.

Gyarados@megastone
Impish
Evs:Hp 252, Def 252, spdef 4
Intimidate/(mold breaker)
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Rest
Sleep talk

I was looking for a water/flying type to counter those fiendish grass types, and though i didn't want to to go with something so obvious I guess I had no choice... Anyway I plays more defensive than you'd think which is what made me choose this set. In additon rest is a reliable recovery option for both health and statuses. Sleep talk allows for a chance to act during the two turns sleep. Finally the addition of the megastone not only allows for a type change in the midst of battle, it also boosts its stats and gives it the mold breaker ability so there is literally no pokemon it cant hit.

Ludicolo@damp rock
Timid
Evs:Spatk 252, spe 252, hp 4
Swift swim
Rain dance
surf
ice beam
giga drain

When I first started training this team I originally passed on the idea of training one of these but later I decided the same but eventually I realized that his unique typing and weather based abilities could be a boon to my team. He sets up rain deals damage at incredible speeds and then checks out for night, leaving however a nice buff for the rest of my team.

Slowbro@eject button
Bold
Evs:Hp 252, def 252, spatk 4
regenerator
scald
flamethrower
calm mind
slack off

I originally put this on my team after I my entire team almost got swept by a shednja. It is critically acclaimed for being one of the chosen few water types that can learn a fire type move. With calm mind it can raise its spatk and spdef and even if some forces a switch he gets healed because of it, awesome right?

Ps: The league Im in doesnt allow legendaries(for gym leaders), more than three pokemon cant have the same move, the usual sleep clause but it does allow for up to four subs that weren't on your original team.
The team I auditioned with:
Kingdra
Azumarril
Cloyster
Swampert
Tentacruel
Clawizter

Boldis the ones Im using right now for quick reference.
If you want to see thier sets just ask.

I found some pokemon with interesting typing that may work,
Empoleon
Lanturn
Azumarill (sap sipper)
Also I figured I could put my swift swim Kingdra back in the team but if I did that I would probably need another a rain dancer or drizzler for reliability.

Last edited:

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
I figure I may as well make some suggestions, see if you'd be interested in using them on your team...

rotom-wash.gif

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs/Scarf
Levitate
Modest/Timid
252 HP, 252 SpAtt, 4 Def/SpDef/Speed
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball/Signal Beam/Trick

Rotom-Wash is pretty famous for being a bastard thanks to incredible bulk, great typing, and great SpAtt. This set is primarily offensive, using Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt as its main STAB attacks and Volt Switch for switch initiative. The fourth move could be Shadow Ball or Signal Beam for added coverage, or you could use Trick to pass your Choice item onto a defensive pokemon. You could possibly swap Thunderbolt out for Thunder if your team is heavy on Rain, but with weather being nerfed I wouldn't count on it too much.

alomomola.gif

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Regenerator
Impish
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Att/SpDef
- Wish
- Waterfall
- Toxic/Protect/Knock Off/Aqua Jet
- Toxic/Protect/Knock Off/Aqua Jet

Despite being in the RU tier, Alomomola is a great defensive pokemon. It's in fifth place for highest HP total, and unlike Wailord, has at least decent Defense to allow it to sponge up physical hits quite well. The typical set includes Toxic stalling with Toxic and Protect, but Knock Off can make for a surprising option, and Aqua Jet can suppliment its low Speed to let it KO something on the verge of dying. You'll probably want to make sure something that can eat up special attacks is on your team, though, since Alomomola is easily wiped by any special Grass or Electric moves (or you could also use this to your advantage by exploiting a Volt Absorb Lanturn, Sap Sipper Azumarill, Lightningrod Seaking, or just about any Ground type).

relicanth.gif

Relicanth @ Assault Vest/Wide Lens/Zoom Lens
Rock Head
Adamant
252 HP, 252 Att, 4 SpDef
- Head Smash
- Watefall/Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt/Bounce

This thing is just deadly. Even things that resist Rock generally won't be happy to take a Head Smash to the face, and the few that do will more than likely not appreciate Waterfall or Earthquake. Head Smash and Waterfall/Aqua Tail are STAB, Earthquake is coverage with Head Smash, and Zen Headbutt and Bounce offer additional coverage, with the former being far more reliable, but the latter giving him a chance against Grass types, which are probably his worst enemy. A bulkier variant with Assault Vest is what I use, which works great in that if you mispredict by switching him in on an Earth Power or Focus Blast, you may survive it to pull him back out or to counter with his own attack, or you can more easily switch him in on resisted Special attacks. However, Wide Lens improves his accuracy, since a lot of his moves aren't at 100%, allowing Head Smash and Bounce to hit at 93.5% accuracy and Aqua Tail at 99%. You could also run Zoom Lens and give him a Brave nature, which will give both of those moves perfect accuracy, but you may lose that boost against slower pokemon or in Trick Room.

X-Lucario

King of Losers
Actually I recently fought both a rotom-w and Alomomola on wifi, I managed to win but they put up quite a fight i look forward to training both of them. Also though I dont have any experiences with relicanth I look forward to changing that.

venom1950

Ace Trainer
i find slowking way better than slowbro because most electric types are specialy offensive. same for grass types. Also I think mega blastoise is way more useful than mega gyarados.
train sp att on blastoise to the max and make it learn aura sphere,water pulse,dragon pulse and dark pulse. with that moveset you covered many types.
on slowbro. train max sp def and 129 in hp and 100 in def and 26 in sp att. and flamethrower on slowbro is a must.
for sub you should consider adding special sweeping starmie with thunderbolt.
and that put assault vest on swampert and invest a bit more in sp defense than defense because as previously said there are more specialy offensive grass types than physical.
hope this helps

X-Lucario

King of Losers
Thank you for the help. I hadn't thought of any of that before. Seems kind obvious in retrospect lol

X-Lucario

King of Losers
So with the advent of ORAS, two new water type megas have been introduced I was wondering if i should change my team a little?

Slowbro is already consideered a formidable tank, but now Mega-Slowbro capitalizes on this by making it even harder to kill. Unfortunately he cant use leftovers for a slight recovery anymore but the debate is... with that much defense does he need it?

Swampert is really good at taking both physical and special hits, especially when he uses the assult vest. However Mega-Swampert may actually make this set useless because of its incredible defenses. Also with the ability Swift Swim Swampert's rather ordinary speed doubles! The question is how much can he do with the limited turns of rainfall?

Last edited: