• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Leap 'n' Climb: Stakataka! (1028)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1028.jpg

Leap 'n' Climb: Stakataka!

While at the Pokémon School with various athletic equipment, a Stakataka appears. The group immediately try to stop its rampage, but their Beast Balls won't hit it. As it's not moving, the group decide to leave it and regroup for the next day, but when they return it has started to move towards the city. Will Ash & Co. be able to stop it?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Wow this episode was just....bad. The amount of slapstick in this episode simply exceeded any plausible levels. Poor Ash.....why does all the slapstick always has to focus so much on him, why does he have to bear the brunt of the slapstick, being a buttmonkey all the time? This is one of the glaring flaws SM has always had throughout which sometimes makes it cringworthy. Seriously if there's a good amount of slapstick in an episode it should be well balanced between all the characters, and not only focus on a single person. And after all the slapstick and hilarious stuff of mostly Ash and everyone else getting thrown around throughout the episode, Stakataka all of a sudden calms down and let's himself being captured out of nowhere. That totally felt cheap. It also looked really bad how Bourgain, instead of the typing bad guy role he plays, which makes him look interesting, was totally an object of slapstick in this episode.

This episode is easily the worst among all the UB episodes so far. 1/10.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Bourgain didn't seem to be as villainous as before but he still triggered Stakataka's rampage by getting his workers to stick the statue to the top of it. It felt that Ash capturing Stakataka that way wasn't too interesting but then I also felt that there were more interesting ways to capture it. Overall the episode wasn't too interesting but it still left me wondering how Stakataka was able to move about, which it looked like that it formed 'legs' and walked to the construction site during the night and decided to rest there.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I thought this episode was pretty humorous. Some things I wanted to point out are:
-When Poipole drew Bourgain's face on the wall, later on when he's yelling at his workers, he makes the exact face!!
-Ash couldn't recognize who Bourgain was at first (but I think he had an inkling of who he was... just not good at names) until Bourgain called him "Royal Satoshi". I thought it was kind of cute on how he knew who he was by appearance (hence the noise he made at first glance) but couldn't remember his stupid name. Silly Ash!:p
-When the Stakataka moved itself to Bourgain's new hotel, Kiawe automatically got angry. I noticed him repeatedly saying "mera mera mera mera" which is kind of like saying rawr rawr rawr rawr!!! I thought that it was funny.
-Everytime someone gets hurt like their face, they hold their face for a while and we see the bruise mark. I love that attention to detail.
-Ash knew Bakugames' spikes would explode so I liked that everyone just laughed after getting hit by them in the end.

The opening updated with Amajo. We still have the Movie 21 footage as an ending... we'll probably have it for a while. I miss the PokeProblem segment. ^^ I enjoyed the parts where every tall thing Kiawe had to jump over or attempt to climb resembled the Wela Volcano in his mind. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. I also love seeing Action Girl Lana surpassing Kiawe without being a showoff and her jumping with excitement was super cute!! I also liked seeing Togedemaru saving Ash, good job girl! Lillie should've known the Pokeballs were gonna fly back towards them, it was no use!!

I noticed the reuse of stock footage (not that it's bad at all). I just wanna point out that this episode gets an automatic 9/10 for the scene where Kiawe throws the UltraBall, misses, and Scyther comes out with an immediate "STRIKE!":p Also no Team Rocket in sight so that's good. I think the only parts I didn't really like was Ash not jumping over the meter thing. (I forgot what it's called but it's for Physical Education) I also think Ash's buttmonkey moments were a bit too much this episode but nonetheless, I enjoyed the majority of them. Everyone got their share of it, including Lillie even if she didn't get hurt. Great episode! The Stakataka was kindof a threat. There was only so much the Ultra Guardians could do.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think the only parts I didn't really like was Ash not jumping over the meter thing. (I forgot what it's called but it's for Physical Education)
That thing is called a vaulting horse or a vaulting box and it is usually used in gymnastics. Someone runs up to some springboard and tries to jump over the vaulting horse. But I still liked Lana's amazing jump over it though.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Well, Ash was quite unlucky this week lol Overall, I would say it was an ok episode this week and found most of the slapstick moments fine. Favourite parts would be every Kiawe moment and Poipole drawing Bourgain's angry face. The last one especially made me rofl

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
As soon as I turned this episode on and saw Mallow about to perform on the vaulting horse, I mentally thought she'd do the best since she seemed like the most physically fit of the girls.

I was wrong. It's Lana whose the most fit. Of both girls and boys. I guess her obsession with muscles makes a lot more sense now.

Then again, she did fish up a School Form Wishiwashi with ease, so why am I even surprised?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
As soon as I turned this episode on and saw Mallow about to perform on the vaulting horse, I mentally thought she'd do the best since she seemed like the most physically fit of the girls.

I was wrong. It's Lana whose the most fit. Of both girls and boys. I guess her obsession with muscles makes a lot more sense now.

Then again, she did fish up a School Form Wishiwashi with ease, so why am I even surprised?
Well Tsareena did congratulate Mallow after her turn, so it seemed that she done well in the first place. After the amazingly bad attempts from Ash and Lillie and not including what happened after Stakataka arrived, Tsareena didn't do anything to the others, even with Ash and Lillie, so in that way it didn't quite make sense.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Rewatched the episode in better quality and I think it's the 2ns best UB episode right after Xurkitree & Blacephalon's. For one, Bourgain had me cracking up. Poor guy just wants money and he constantly gets himself in harm's way over a statue.

Kiawe stood out with his Wela Volcano reference and him having a sly grin when he got to save Bourgain by kicking him (Tsareena is rubbing off on him :p)

Ash having a hard time was also funng I'm not a fan of slapstick, but Ash's attempt to climb Stakataka were genuinely funny. His face while he was trying to stay still was gold.

But my favorite part was Stakataka. First off, imagine a big rock just flew out of a wormhole. Looking at the inside of a Stakataka is both cool and creepy. I love how it toyed with the UG without actually battling. I've said it before, but I love the enraged red eyes on it. It really reminded me of some surveillance drones. Its cry is cool too.

10/10 IMO

DatsRight

This wasn't a bad episode, a bit anti climatic but I liked the usual dynamics of the UG episodes. I liked the usual setups being used here (eg. Lillie and Sophocles as strategists, Ash and Kiawe being the go to action guy/powerhouses, though Lana and Mallow still just feel like an extra set of hands), and we also got to see a lot of Pokemon's abilities in action again, just it wasn't working out for them early on. Also give them credit that they did TRY to battle it this time round, but the episode made clear that wouldn't work.

The vaulting horse moment was kinda funny. Ash and Lillie expectedly fail miserably, though Sophocles gets thrown a bone in terms of physical moments, if thanks to Togedemaru. Lana seems to be that one that keeps having Kiawe's number and Mallow.....just does it normally as expected (though it was nice to see Tsareena be enthusiastic and 'happy eyes' about something again, showing she's not full time haughty and aloof since evolving, it goes back to remorselessly brutal to Kiawe though, sheesh, Mallow control your Pokemon :p).

As much as people don't like the anime using it's OC villains, I can't really hate the use of Bourgain. He's one of few villains that has a good dynamic with the twerps (loved Ash and Kiawe's rivalries being brought up in a funny way, something we seldom ever see with TR anymore) and they flowed him into this episode well as an extra hindrance.

The slapstick seemed pretty damn brutal for everyone this episode (besides maybe Lillie and Sophocles, though they did get the shrinking episode not long ago, and they still fell victim to the ending gag with Turtonator). Ash as usual was king butt monkey this episode though, and expectedly vindicated himself by stopping Stakataka ultimately, part due to competence and persistence, part to his badly timed jumps being a chekhov's skill and part due to being the one smart enough to just ask Stakataka nicely (those creepy eyes can turn puppy dog it seems XD).

I admit I'm rather surprised Lillie's crappy ball throwing skills didn't end up being put into use this episode.

Last edited:

satopi

Kiawe stood out with his Wela Volcano reference and him having a sly grin when he got to save Bourgain by kicking him (Tsareena is rubbing off on him :p)
Oh yeah, that was a moment I forgot to mention that was hilarious! See, we do get some man on man violence sometimes. First Ash tackling Faba and now Kiawe kicking Bourgain in the face.:p

I admit I'm rather surprised Lillie's crappy ball throwing skills didn't end up being put into use this episode.
She's been practicing so she must've improved off screen. Remember in the Alola formed Sandscrew episode? The after credits scene was Lillie practicing how to throw Pokeballs with Shiron and to be fair, I don't think she threw any this episode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DatsRight

Yeah, I miss times when the twerps were shown to be mischievous or vindictive around the bad guys instead of just 'stock righteous outrage' all the time.

She's been practicing so she must've improved off screen. Remember in the Alola formed Sandscrew episode? The after credits scene was Lillie practicing how to throw Pokeballs with Shiron and to be fair, I don't think she threw any this episode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't she still need Snowy's help aiming though? Even then this episode could have been showing her improving. Oh, well, maybe more hope left they're saving that gag for an actual capture.

Granted I can't complain too much, Ash and Kiawe were the butt monkeys this episode so it makes sense they got to redeem themselves and make the winning strategy. We seriously need an UG episode where Mallow and Lana are doing something noteworthy though.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Nowhere it was seen that Snowy ever tried to help Lillie with her throw of a Beast Ball, but she never threw one. It would have been a nice opportunity to use that gag creatively to catch Stakataka.

DatsRight

Nowhere it was seen that Snowy ever tried to help Lillie with her throw of a Beast Ball, but she never threw one. It would have been a nice opportunity to use that gag creatively to catch Stakataka.

I was talking about the Poke problem segment with her practicing a few episodes back.

satopi

Didn't she still need Snowy's help aiming though? Even then this episode could have been showing her improving. Oh, well, maybe more hope left they're saving that gag for an actual capture.
Yes, she was helping her aim. I'd like to see Lillie perfect her aim for her second capture. :)

Granted I can't complain too much, Ash and Kiawe were the butt monkeys this episode so it makes sense they got to redeem themselves and make the winning strategy. We seriously need an UG episode where Mallow and Lana are doing something noteworthy though.
Lana did capture one of the Ultra Beasts. Also, Mallow got a sick Flygon!:eek: I hope they get a noteworthy role too.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I was talking about the Poke problem segment with her practicing a few episodes back.
Even so there seemed to be no progress in Lillie improving her aim, so I assume she still needs Snowy's help. In some way they could have had Stakataka not expect a poor throw from Lillie to capture it.

DatsRight

Lana did capture one of the Ultra Beasts. Also, Mallow got a sick Flygon!:eek: I hope they get a noteworthy role too.

In terms of getting to do something crafty and influential the two tend to lose out however. Ash, Kiawe, Lillie and Sophocles have all played a big part in thinking up how they neutralised an Ultra Beast at least once or twice and have started to get a specific role among the UGs.

It's one of the reasons I like the UG episodes since they show a more methodical side to the twerps and unleash a bit of character agency, but Lana and Mallow are still struggling to emerge from the background, which is a shame because they're a great opportunity to show the non-battlers being useful in action scenes (something we do get with Lillie and Sophocles at least), and maybe shrewdly gain experience without it looking like a gip.

It's a shame because they did manage to think up the majority of problem solving in the Palossand episode, which in hindsight feels a lot like an UG 'test pilot' episode. :p

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Okay, first off the bat.
The introductory exercise segment especially with Lillie was too precious.
Lana was great during the first part, flawlessly making that jump and look like she was about to go for round 2 using Stakataka.
I honestly didn't mind the slap stick in this episode. Diglett showing up conveniently to make Ash trip... Stakataka avoiding the beast ball like a boss and having the ball bounce back to Kiawe after he made a base ball reference, (A Scyther come along to shout for a strike after that fail.)
The convenient times where Stakataka took every other move and avoided bonemerang. (A ground move!)
I also like how they turned what I thought what was going to be a villain of the week into a recurring villain. (Poor Stakataka being used as construction material.)
I like this episode a little less than the Blacephalon/ Xurkitree episode... but I give it a 7.9 out of ten. Way to make use of the U.B I had little hype for but making it enjoyable for me to watch.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Kiawe after he made a base ball reference, (A Scyther come along to shout for a strike after that fail.)
Well I just realised that was a pun on Scyther's Japanese name, which is Strike. Unfortunately that won't work too well in other languages. But anyway I liked Scyther showing up on screen randomly and I thought that was hilarious.