• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Learning To Play Video Game Music

Kabuto

little punks!
So I'm getting into music playing, and many of the songs that inspire me/are fun to play are songs from video games. Right now, I find myself mostly tinkering with music in GarageBand (keyboards), as a beginner who hasn't invested in any sort of instrument yet. I'm wondering- which kind of synths or keyboards can I play to get the right sound? (Think Sonic, Castlevania styled music) Also, would I be able to learn this solely through GarageBand or would investing in a real life instrument be in my favor?

Thanks all!

Rezzo

Occasionally
It depends on how accurately you want to replicate the sound. A normal keyboard would be suitable for learning the songs but it would be quite hard to accurately replicate the 8-bit or 16-bit sounds that I assume you are looking for. The best way you could go about replicating the sound accurately and even making your own music in this style would be investing in a Game Boy (or maybe a SNES) and learning a thing or two about the electronics and building an instrument out of it. I'm not too well-versed in how this is done, but there's a few guides on the internet that show you how to do this.

The easier and much simpler way of doing this is to download software which emulates the sound chips of the hardware that makes the music. It isn't perfectly accurate, but it does do the job. And to answer your question: I do believe it is possible to make chiptune-style music in GarageBand.

Have fun!