• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Least favorite character that became your top favorite

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
Are there any Pokémon characters that maybe you didn't really like whatsoever from the start but actually became one of your favorite characters later on? Maybe it was their character development or maybe their character just grew on you over time, or this character wasn't really all that bad.

For me, the characters that come to mind that I initially did not like whatsoever from the start were Jessie, Brock, and Gary. All three of them have become my top favorites now.

Jessie had quite a strong personality. Upon my first impression of her character, I saw her as a high tempered, stuck up, only cared about her self. It seemed to me that she had a short fuse compared to her Team Rocket partners and got frustrated with them quite easily. She had quite the attitude! As I got to know her character more, she actually became my top favorite female character. Surprise!

Jessie wasn’t just a conceited, loud mouthed, high tempered individual. She was also a strong, determined, and independent individual. She knew what she wanted and she was so focused on getting what ever that would be whether it was stealing Ash’s Pikachu (as always) or working hard to be top coordinator under the alias Jessilee. Sure, she would get frustrated with James and Meowth but she really did care about them. As a leader, she kept them in line when they wanted to give up on their Team Rocket missions. She was the most focused out of the three inspiring James and Meowth not to give up.

Behind her short fuse, and arrogant attitude lay a surprisingly caring individual. As I got to know her character more, it was apparent that she really did care about her Team Rocket partners, James and Meowth and her Pokémon. They were more than just members of the same organization. They were best friends. In my opinion, I’ve felt that the Team Rocket trio had one of the strongest friendships in the anime.

Brock. When I first watched Pokemon, I found Brock to be highly annoying. And since he was a main character, it was a bit difficult to watch Pokemon without seeing him. Of course, it wouldn’t be so bad if he didn’t fall for every single girl. Brock was notorious for falling in love with just about any girl he met. The original Kanto trio - Ash, Brock, and Misty could be focused on a mission of some sort and suddenly a girl would either walk by or come to help and Brock would be distracted by her looks.

It took me a little bit to warm up to Brock’s character. Brock was so much more than someone that fell in love a bit too easily. He was also one that was very knowledgeable about Pokemon. Brock was like a big brother figure to Ash and Misty. He would give them advice, cooked them delicious meals, and was always the one with the best sense of direction. Well, for the most part. I still find him to be a bit annoying but not like before. Surprisingly, aside from any annoyances, I felt that he was the best male traveling companion Ash ever had.

“Gary! Gary! He’s our man! If he can't do it, no one can!”

Out of the three on this list, Gary was actually my least least favorite. Upon first seeing him on the anime, I saw him as a snobby, rude, and arrogant individual. He was always rubbing it in that he was always one step ahead of Ash, and he didn’t take Ash, his rival, seriously at all at least not in Kanto. Plus, we can't forget about his crazy fan club.

Gradually, over time, Gary's character started to grow on me more. To me, Gary was more talk than action. He loved to brag about his accomplishments and how he was always one step ahead of Ash. However, he had to learn the hard way, through failure, that a trainer needs more than talent and an overconfident attitude to be a successful trainer.

Through the latter part of the original series, he slowly matured, became more humble and a lot friendlier. He still had some of his overconfident personality but he definitely wasn't as snobby as he was before.

It took failure and the realization that he had a lot to learn for him to have a complete change in character.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
225px-Magikarp_Salesman.png

The Magikarp Salesman! He should return to the show one day. Thought him to be a random character until he returns over and over again often tricking James and causing more trouble to Team Rocket than Ash & Co. could.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Paul, I initially hated him but after a few episodes my eyes opened and realized he is and always will be the best rival the series will have!

Magikarp Salesman too, I didn't like how he ripped off James but I grew to love the guy as he reappeared throughout the series and really wish he'd come back. Heck Alola would have been the perfect place, try and sell tourists 'Alola forms' while in reality it's just normal Pokemon painted much like his Hoppip and Magikarps. 10/10 would prefer him over Viren

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
Misty, not exactly my top favourite, but I hated her at first, slowly she grew on me, I don't hate her now, her shipping is probably the big reason why she is actually so loved to this day, the shipping is actually pretty good.
Still belongs at the bottom of Pokegirl list though.

Xuxuba

May. Mainly because the portuguese dub butchered her and made her sound like the most pathetic thing to ever walk on earth.
Plus when i first watched AG, we didn't have streaming services, so i had to rely on brazilian Cartoon Network and they were really behind the schedule and just kept showing fillers over and over again, making me just hate her series overall.

But then years later i decided to watch the sub before ORAS was released and i pretty much skipped all of the fillers. It was pretty damn amazing.
May became one of my favorite characters (she might aswell be on my top 5) and AG became one of my favorite series (fillers aside).

i didn't like may in the beginning cuz I didn't like how misty got replaced but after seeing may grow as a character in hoenn i began liking her more and she's my second favorite character now.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Mallow and Serena to be honest. I was indifferent towards Misty but rewatching episodes I enjoy her character a lot.

Fiorenna

Dawn was a pretty sucky replacement for May or so I originally thought then I changed my mind because her contests were much cooler than May's and I liked Dawn's sassiness. :)

Blastmaster

Paul. Disliked him as a kid because he was a jerk, but I grew to realize how amazing his rivalry with Ash was. No other character has even come close to pushing Ash as hard as Paul did. I also realized that the way he treats his Pokemon isn't much different than most people irl, lol (honestly, the older I get the more I notice how much I relate to cynical characters)

Dawn's Piplup. I used to find him super annoying, but rewatching the DP series I was able to forgive that for how he's also DP's #1 butt monkey. He's still very arrogant, but he just goes through SO much slapstick abuse in the series that I can't dislike him anymore.

Cilan. He's no Brock, but still funny in his own right. I've also slightly softened up on BW in general over the years.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Oh wait it said “top favorite”, I thought it was just disliked characters you no longer dislike.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I know I had characters and pokemon that I didn't like going into watching the series that I ended up loving. One I know was Barry. I found him really annoying in the Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum games, but he was a riot in the anime, he ended up being one of my favorite characters ever. I was the same way with Oshawott. It was easily my least favorite of the Unova starters before I started playing the games (now I find that the Snivy line's the worst), but I fell in love with the pokemon thanks to the anime. Ash's Oshawott could always put a big grin on my face. ^_^

I'm sure there's others, but those are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't like Kasumi when I first began watching the anime. She was rude and violent throughout most of Kanto, and I didn't see what she had to offer since she was mostly just there to fill the spot of the female traveling companion. However, I began to like her more during the Orange Archipelago saga since she got several development episodes there and she mellowed out a bit.

MockingJ

Banned
Barry I guess because I didn't think he was a noteworthy rival in the videogames and then he appeared in the middle of Sinnoh and bugged me from the start, but then I realized that he was a funny character.

Emelie

Bookworm
Mabye Mallow but I wouldn't call her my "top favorite". :p

I think her character was given more depth after her backstory with her late mother was revealed. Some scenes suddenly made more sense like the conflict between her and her dad and when Satoshi's mother came to visit and she seemed kind of sad.

Kiawe. I didn't like how he was portrayed in the first few episodes of SM but he quickly grown on me as the series went on and is now my top favorite out of Ash's male companions.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Sophocles , hate this guy when he first introduced, i though he will be another Clemont clone, but nope he grown as a character just fun to watch

DatsRight

Ash. I thought he'd become pretty emotive and bland by XY, though SM made him more of a lovable enigmatic weirdo (which I think connects all his traits together into one entity better) and also put way more emphasis on him having chemistries with his companions again. He also seems to have more agency outside the main formula, no longer being dull or without purpose if there isn't a battle to do or a bad guy to stop.

Mabye Mallow but I wouldn't call her my "top favorite". :p

I think her character was given more depth after her backstory with her late mother was revealed. Some scenes suddenly made more sense like the conflict between her and her dad and when Satoshi's mother came to visit and she seemed kind of sad.

I'm sort of similar. I was really unimpressed with Mallow's limelight in the first two seasons of SM. It felt like they didn't have anything for her to do besides 'classic formula' episodes and having her Pokemon evolve undeservedly, otherwise barely having any agency or even contributing much to the humour. Ultra Legends I wouldn't say 'fixes' her, but it feels like it's really TRYING to click something with her, giving her more creative limelight episodes and some blatant shred of fallibility. Also while it's only really been showcased properly once, I kinda like her having Shaymin. It's not really to the point they handle Mallow well, but at least now I WANT them to.