• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Least Favorite Characters in Pokemon Manga

JDogindy

This includes any variations (depending on the manga, and whether or not they were main or secondary), and I know that this type of thread may incorporate the wrong kind of posting, I still wanted to post it.

My least favorite character of all is Mitsumi from "Diamond and Pearl Adventures", and even though I said that she "sucks", allow me to explain in a civil manner.

She starts off by not being of any help, outside of telling Hareta what not to do in Pokemon battles and training, and then in Volume 3, the swerve happens: she was formerly Team Galactic's "Ultimate Fighting Machine", and I felt that was the tired old "Main Character Worked For the Bad Guys" theme for some characters. Worse yet, they did the inevitable: she rejoined Team Galactic, and in some ways, willingly (granted, an Eevee was used as a hostage for the ultimatim, but you just have to wonder), and her Galactic attire makes her look like a prick and a "woman of the night"...

Even if they didn't do any of that, she came off as bland and generic with the writing and in general, even after she leaves Galactic again.

Another character that I had issues with from the "Special" has to be Koga, and it's not that I don't like him, but there wasn't much effort placed in his part.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
As seen in later volumes, Mitsumi has issue with her loyalties. It's really reflected from the games, as in the postgame Saturn struggles with how to rectify what good the Galactics worked for with the evil they did to achieve it. And since they didn't go that route with Saturn, they went it with Mitsumi.

That said, I liked Ruby until he decided to be "macho" and prevent Sapphire from helping out. Come on Ruby, being a real man means not being a jerk.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I found Brock to be bland and generic in Pokemon Special (I guess he's like his anime counterpart) but I would've liked a change.

Pearl from Special is also my least favorite, probably because he's much more violent than his other counterparts. He also seems reckless (moreso than Barry).

I didn't like Mitsumi in DP Adventures because of her loyalty issues obviously.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
Least fave charas? In PokeSpecial I strongly disliked the Super Contest Participants. They were nasty stereotyped rich witches (did enjoy seeing Fantina defeat them easily). And Lt. Surge, I felt he had the weakest reason for joining TR of the original Gym Leaders. Sabrina seemed to be crushing on Giovanni, Blaine wanted knowledge and research ops and was first to redeem himself. Oh and the super nerd from Yellow arc, he was obnox. Good strategy w/ Persian, Marowak, & Paras in his first appearance but not enough to offset the crazyness. Altho he was being a pawn for even crazier ppl so I felt kinda sorry for him as well. ^^;
Didn't care for Candice's portrayal in DPA, she seemed rather aloof, not what I expected of her. I would have preffer they give Volkner that role (or any role). And Gengar in Ginji's manga (the one volume dungeon adapt) was a total jerk, just as in the games. I wouldn't go the nine-tails curse route but I still felt he was a crummy to Gardevoir as a human trainer, and just as lousy for being a pokemon by trying to blame Ginji for everything.

Last edited:

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Tucker from Pokemon Special. I hated how rude he was and wished he could have been more like his anime counter part.

The Super Nerd from the Yellow arc was bad too.

Ruby was cool until he decided to lock Sapphire in a car and be the hero all by himself.

Pearl is an okay character, but I don't really like how he's the "boss" instead of Diamond. I feel like their personalitites should be reveresed.

And of course Matsumi from Diamond and Pearl adventures. Like you said, she was incredibly bland in the first few chapters and then they reveales that she was some contest prodigy and next thing you know she's walking around in some scantily outfit and is one of th emost Powerful trainers in the manga. And even after that she still lacks a personality.

Dusk Sweep 0x9

Ready to Battle
Blue. Absolutly hate blue. I just hate how she's so misleading and not even to mention she's a b- oh i have to go.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
I don't really hate or dislike any character, some characters annoy me (Like Hareta and Emerald) I pretty much read the FRLG arc backwards so at first I really hated Carr and wanted to punt the guy across a football field, but then when I red it from the beginning he was cute with his childishness so I ended up liking him despite later turning into a psycho.

NES

Flip me to the side!
I never felt interested into Emerald (pokespecial) he is annoying and his trauma with being short didn't convinced me (felt forced), his mannerisms, overall he made battle frontier less appealing to me (since he plays a big role in it), i didn't like him depending on machines, and not even having pokemon of his own.

Eloi

I dislike uh.....
Um . . . . . .Misty, maybe?
For disrupting my favorite ship (YellowxRed)?
But I actually enjoy reading the conflict. . . . . .
Well, I love everybody in Pokemon Special.
I think my least favorite character is K-2 in Pokemon DP Adventures, perhaps?

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Ruby was my favorite.
I loved his personality, although he hates pokemon battles and loves more pokemon contests.

Eloi

^ This thread is about your least favorite characters. But yeah, Ruby was an interesting character. Tho' I like Sapphire alot more. I liked how they made the girl the trainer and the guy the coordinator. I wish we could see that dynamic more.

JDogindy

I'm glad to see all the responses. I will admit that I started hating Mitsumi when they revealed the "Galactic member" part, and I began really hating her when she rejoined and became the All-Powerful Trainer in the Skimpy Outfit. If you didn't make that case early on, don't bother, as that was the way I felt.

Well, the reason why I stated Koga was that it was probably the best move to make all the three "problematic" Gym Leaders that weren't Giovanni, with that being the ones who sorta give off an antagonistic aura in the video games, Rocket Admins. That said, I felt that Koga was treated as some random ninja.

Also, Ruby did get his head in the clouds when he started acting all "macho" and everything, including the part where he ditched Sapphire. That was just wrong.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
At least Koga had some battling prowess and his ninja tricks helped him be a credable threat. Everyone remembers the Arbok incident, what was Surge's best tactic? Thermal underwear. And even that didn't save him.
Hopefully Koga will get some spotlight in the upcoming HG/SS story (maybe more on him & daughter Janine? They are still the only poison gym leaders IIRC)

Hmm...most unfavorite character. That would most definitely be Ginji from Ginji's Rescue Team. He's the cliche macho rash character with the "don't give up" motto. Sigh...*shakes head*

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I'm glad to see all the responses. I will admit that I started hating Mitsumi when they revealed the "Galactic member" part, and I began really hating her when she rejoined and became the All-Powerful Trainer in the Skimpy Outfit. If you didn't make that case early on, don't bother, as that was the way I felt.

Actually they did. It's referenced as far back as volume 2, when Cyrus shows up in the cave. And Jupiter calls Mitsumi a traitor.

Skimpy outfit? That's not skimpy, it's just form-fitting. All the commanders dress like that (well, except Charon, but he's also not built like the others are).

Darkxninga

Pokespecial manga: My least fav. character is (did not read the whole series in order nor the dp series... btw so this may be editted with add ons) Emerald. He was a bit too weird and it shoulda been Wally in his place. >_> .....His attitude.....annoyed me a bit.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I really don't have a least favorite character. To me they are all unique...(the dex owners in Pokespe) I don't really read dpa, or other mangas too often... If I had to choose someone from PokeSpe, I'd say Carr (he just annoyed me)

Viridian's Yellow

Mmm~♪ Hmm~♪
i dont hate any character.maybe emerald but thats because of a bad hairdo

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
I don't like Mitsumi from the D and P adventure series.
from the Pokemon Special series i don't like Emerald.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Don't really *HATE* anyone in any of the Pokemon manga...

But yeah. Don't like Yellow, Gold, or Silver from Pocket Monsters (Scary Clefairy series)...

Didn't like Gary in Electric Tale until volume 4, really.

And Black from Golden Boys. x.x; Wait, maybe I do hate him.