• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Least Favorite Characters in Pokemon Manga

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
I hate Blue. She's so...just...augh! She leaves in a loss for words! She uses her charm to get what she wants. I just can't stand her! I haven't actually read the Emerald manga but from what I've read about Emerald from Serebii, I don't like him. In Ginji's Rescue Team I hate Alakazam for some reason. I don't have a reason, I just do.

EDIT: Well I DO hate blue alot, but after the Red manga I like her alot. She's nicer after that, sorry, I remember the Red manga more clearly then the Yellow manga

Last edited:

Celest M.

Celestial Mistress~
Like a lot of others on here, I don't downright hate any of the characters. They're all interesting in some way. Although I wasn't crazy about Emerald. I'm not gonna lie, kid looked like a hot mess. xD I also felt that he was somewhat overpowered, and too witty. Most of the characters are witty, but he had some of the strangest tactics...I don't want to say dumb, but definitely strange..

ForteAnly

I can't stand Ruby for some reason.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
In PokeSpecial, the only manga I care about, I'm not a big Sapphire fan, I don't know what it is about her, but living in the jungle with the grass clothes but is actually Birch's daughter, it all just kind of seems overblown to me.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
I wrote here long ago (answers on page 1) but I do realize that I wasn't a huge fan of Charizard in Electric Tale. I know it's a Pokemon, but still. I hated how savagely it tore that other Charizard apart in the Indigo Plateau chapter. I still sigh when I re-read that.

Although I do prefer this scenario to the anime's.

phantom5niper

Glaceon is number 1
lets see green(boy) do to him there are not a lot of luckyshipping story's and i can not stand Ruby i think that has to do to the fact i like Sapphire and red shipping story's and Emerald lets just say don't like him at all i think it has to do with the Emerald on his forehead

Kaiinel

Now isn't the time.
Yellow and Emerald.

Yellow is annoying, and I just don't like Emerald.
I'd rather have Wally in his place.

Last edited:

Mallymkun

A lady who's sure
Now that I think about it, I really dislike Emerald. He seems so...extraneous. Okay, so the writers forshadowed him as early on as the GSC arc, but I hate his obnoxious personality. He's like Gold, except ten times more annoying (eg. stealing Tucker's salamence, ruining the ceremony of the Frontier Brains). Plus, his design is ridiculous. There's reason behind it all, but compared with Yellow, the other original Pokespe character, he looks like a robotic elf.

Hiraki_PokéGirl

Amethyst~ ♥
Poor Emerald, everybody dislikes him! He may seem odd and eccentric, he was even selfish and too proud at the beginning of the Emerald arc... but he's matured, and he's actually very funny! The same goes to Yellow... why people hate her so much? She's kind, nice, funny... and also pretty courageous! She may be shy and too innocent, but at least she isn't useless...

I love ALL the Dexholders, they all have different personalities and still, they're all pretty cool and interesting! I can't say I dislike any of them... and even least, hate! Anyway, if I'd be to choose my least favorite Dexholder, it would be Blue (female). Just like @FireTheAbsolLord said she's always using her charm to get what she wants. It somewhat exasperates me plus it makes her look like a *****, sometimes. What bothers me about that fact in Blue's personality is that she uses her charm even since THE VERY FIRST arc, when she was only 11. Wtf?! Also, she's pretty overrated, in my opinion. Specially from the male side (most boys like her because she wears a miniskirt, you know). Actually, I find other girls way more interesting, specially Sapphire and Crystal.

Not that I hate Blue, I actually think she's funny and nice! (Although I miss the old Blue, when she was sneaky and a cheater). I'm just pointing what I don't like about her.

Eloi

The same goes to Yellow... why do people hate her so much? She's kind, nice, funny... and also pretty courageous! She may be shy and too innocent, but at least she isn't useless...

I agree and would like to add: I've also seen accusations of "Mary Sue" and then accusations mostly in line with her being too emotional about her Pokemon and too sensitive or childish etcetera.
HOWEVER, if she were a Mary Sue the world would bend to her. Society would view Pokemon battling with as much pain as she did. Her empathic abilities would be very useful and healing would come at good times. But she is not a Mary Sue because her abilities are utilized in a fashion that are not always useful.
For example, her empathy makes her almost unable to conduct Pokemon battles, which is a pretty major hindrance in any region outside of those conducted by the Pokemon Rangers (and even then). Sure, childlike innocence is usually a good feature, but when you are trying to coordinate a secret mission, it does not help. Falling asleep in the middle of the battle is also not a good thing.
Thus we can successfully be assured that a character with psychic powers, if they can't be applied everytime in useful situations, are not Mary Sues.
However, does all of the above flaws make her a useless character in the context of the story? Of course not! They make her more of an interesting character, and helps to build a unique personality.
As for Yellow and Red's attraction coming out of nowhere, I think it budded in a dynamic and realistic manner (if it is in fact the case of being a romantic relationship). It seems to be a cycle of them saving each other, which I think is an interesting and little explored dynamic.
So overall, Yellow is awesome.

Ame Kuudere

@Eloi and whoever she quoted

I'm not a big fan of Yellow, mostly because:
1. I just don't like her character archetype (the sweet, nice girl). Sorry, but I just find those kinds of people uninteresting.
2. Her fanbase. Yes, most of her fans are sane and reasonable (as you two are), but then there are those people who obsessively ship or draw fanarts for Yellow, refuse to believe that Yellow is not a beautiful, flawless and omnipotent girl who can do no wrong, and scream and rage at people who don't LOVE LOVE LOVE Yellow. Really, not to be mean, but a lot of the time those people are just projecting themselves on to Yellow. On that note, would you like to give me an instance in which Yellow is particularly funny? If it takes longer than five seconds to think of something, then that should worry you.

I don't DESPISE Yellow. In fact, I liked her in the Yellow and GSC arcs (but much less so in the later arcs). Do I think she's a Mary Sue? Not really. Do I want to rewrite her out of the storyline? Of course not. Do I hate that she's innocent and emotional? No; it's nice to have a character who isn't extra-dynamic and vivacious. Do I think that her entire fanbase is crazy? No, just a few people are. Do I only dislike her because of these people? No, I have other reasons; even if those fans didn't exist, I would consider her my least favorite.

*clears throat*
Anyways, aside from Yellow, I'm not a huge fan of Ruby. Just ... the aircar scene where he locked Sapphire in to go SAVE TEH WORLD by himself - that was terrible. I hated him for that. The rest of the time, he's fine. Sapphire and Emerald were kind of 'meh' for me at first, but I ended up liking both of them.

Eloi

@Eloi and whoever she quoted

I'm not a big fan of Yellow, mostly because:
1. I just don't like her character archetype (the sweet, nice girl). Sorry, but I just find those kinds of people uninteresting.
Well its a matter of opinion, I am not going to try to sway you to like a character you don't, but I am going to point out a sweet, nice tomboy is rather uncommon.
Its usually:
Girly Girl= Sweet, Nice
Tomboy= Tsundere
I think its a bit unique how Pokemon Special writers switched this up.
2. Her fanbase. Yes, most of her fans are sane and reasonable (as you two are),
If there is anything I pride myself on, its my ability not to scream and yell at people via internet.
but then there are those people who obsessively ship or draw fanarts for Yellow, refuse to believe that Yellow is not a beautiful, flawless and omnipotent girl who can do no wrong, and scream and rage at people who don't LOVE LOVE LOVE Yellow. Really, not to be mean, but a lot of the time those people are just projecting themselves on to Yellow.
Her fanbase can be a bit annoying at times, but I wouldn't fault the character for that.
On that note, would you like to give me an instance in which Yellow is particularly funny? If it takes longer than five seconds to think of something, then that should worry you.
2 Seconds: The way she just walks into Oak's lab, takes Pika, and tries to leave was pretty funny.
3 Seconds: All of the later Dex Holders thinking that she is younger than them despite being older.
4 seconds: I always thought how she just could *sleep* in the middle of battle was funny.
5 seconds: She rode around on a Doduo wearing a cowboy like get-up with an oversized straw hat and took down information by using crayons in a sketchbook, and SHE was the one who was supposed to save Red. I find that concept funny in itself, and I like how unlikely of a hero she is.
Just a few off the top of my head.

I don't DESPISE Yellow. In fact, I liked her in the Yellow and GSC arcs (but much less so in the later arcs).
I am going to admit I haven't read as throughly the later arcs. Most of what I know about Yellow is from RGB saga (where she was saved by Red as a little girl), Yellow Saga (where she returned the favor), and Gold/Silver/Crystal (where romance gets played up but she still gets a Big Damn Heroes moment.)
Do I think she's a Mary Sue? Not really. Do I want to rewrite her out of the storyline? Of course not. Do I hate that she's innocent and emotional? No; it's nice to have a character who isn't extra-dynamic and vivacious. Do I think that her entire fanbase is crazy? No, just a few people are. Do I only dislike her because of these people? No, I have other reasons; even if those fans didn't exist, I would consider her my least favorite
And I respect you for all of that.

Last edited:

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Yellow is obviously like least favorite character off the top of my head...

I agree and would like to add: I've also seen accusations of "Mary Sue" and then accusations mostly in line with her being too emotional about her Pokemon and too sensitive or childish etcetera.
HOWEVER, if she were a Mary Sue the world would bend to her. Society would view Pokemon battling with as much pain as she did. Her empathic abilities would be very useful and healing would come at good times. But she is not a Mary Sue because her abilities are utilized in a fashion that are not always useful.

Not really. While there is no concrete definition of what a Mary Sue is, I don't think that's what they were thinking of. Yellow's Mary Sueness comes from more of how "special" she is.

For example, her empathy makes her almost unable to conduct Pokemon battles, which is a pretty major hindrance in any region outside of those conducted by the Pokemon Rangers (and even then). Sure, childlike innocence is usually a good feature, but when you are trying to coordinate a secret mission, it does not help. Falling asleep in the middle of the battle is also not a good thing.

I believe that was just what she decided to do, not because her abilities forced her. See Wataru, he has the same ability yet is fine with battling. Plus, Yellow is fully capable of battling (as shown throughout Yellow and in FRLG), she just chooses not to because she doesn't like it. Her empathy is mostly used for the plot rather than her character anyways. Heck, FRLG made it so her powers can raise her pokemon levels. That doesn't help her character flaws whatsoever.

I agree that her innocence isn't good for secret missions, but... there aren't really any secret missions. And Yellow gets involved in the danger anyways; her childlike innocence is used to be her more "likable" for us and the other characters. And that shows; for everyone that has talked to her, most like her and care for her. So it really isn't a flaw and being liked by everyone that isn't "evil/mean" can be a trait of a Mary Sue.
May I ask what battle? The only time I remember of she falling asleep is in FRLG after being useful for the plot.

Thus we can successfully be assured that a character with psychic powers, if they can't be applied everytime in useful situations, are not Mary Sues.
However, does all of the above flaws make her a useless character in the context of the story? Of course not! They make her more of an interesting character, and helps to build a unique personality.

She isn't useless for the plot, but is quite boring as a character. We know she'll conquer each time and will have people/pokemon behind her. There is nothing interesting about her enough to like her and her powers are more interestingly used by Wataru (or would be if actually had more manga time). Yellow doesn't really have a unique personality (maybe unique in a world where most people battle, yeah) as much as the typical carefree, caring female character.

As for Yellow and Red's attraction coming out of nowhere, I think it budded in a dynamic and realistic manner (if it is in fact the case of being a romantic relationship). It seems to be a cycle of them saving each other, which I think is an interesting and little explored dynamic.
So overall, Yellow is awesome.

Realistic as in completely boring? Saving each other all the time is overused, overdone and shouldn't be used solely for attraction. It's like watching grass grow, you just want something to happen.

I see Yellow as a plot device. Is there any arc, or heck scene other than her just talking where isn't used for plot device?

Eloi

Not really. While there is no concrete definition of what a Mary Sue is, I don't think that's what they were thinking of. Yellow's Mary Sueness comes from more of how "special" she is.
I do believe she acts more like a real person her age than the rest of the cast, and I don't think being interesting is a good reason to call someone a Mary Sue.

I believe that was just what she decided to do, not because her abilities forced her. See Wataru, he has the same ability yet is fine with battling. Plus, Yellow is fully capable of battling (as shown throughout Yellow and in FRLG), she just chooses not to because she doesn't like it. Her empathy is mostly used for the plot rather than her character anyways. Heck, FRLG made it so her powers can raise her pokemon levels. That doesn't help her character flaws whatsoever.
Actually, Yellow raised the levels of her Pokemon during the battle against Lance, that wasn't just a FRLG thing, and because she doesn't like battling she obviously doesn't train her Pokemon, so how else can she gain levels? I don't know what extent she can do it FRLG, but I know in Yellow it was just to make a more interesting climax.
I agree that her innocence isn't good for secret missions, but... there aren't really any secret missions. And Yellow gets involved in the danger anyways; her childlike innocence is used to be her more "likable" for us and the other characters. And that shows; for everyone that has talked to her, most like her and care for her. So it really isn't a flaw and being liked by everyone that isn't "evil/mean" can be a trait of a Mary Sue.
Um, have you read Yellow saga? Green (JP Blue) gave her a secret mission and she went under the alias "Armillo del Bosque Verde" as a boy, but Lorelei saw through it.
May I ask what battle? The only time I remember of she falling asleep is in FRLG after being useful for the plot.
Again, Yellow Saga:
-> In the battle with Lorelei with Bill, she fell asleep after moving the Pokeball on the rod, if I recall correctly.
-> After fighting with Lance she fell out of the sky to be caught by Red and to wake up later.
She isn't useless for the plot, but is quite boring as a character. We know she'll conquer each time and will have people/pokemon behind her. There is nothing interesting about her enough to like her and her powers are more interestingly used by Wataru (or would be if actually had more manga time). Yellow doesn't really have a unique personality (maybe unique in a world where most people battle, yeah) as much as the typical carefree, caring female character.

Who is Wataru? Oh, Lance. I think they are both pretty interesting. really.
Anyway, I don't know what FRLG made her, but she seemed much more dynamic in RGBYGSC, she was tomboyish yet sensitive, mysterious yet open, funny yet can get serious, she was childish yet mature, her dynamics with characters are interesting, and I think she is awesome. She is an original character that doesn't adhere to a video-game archetype like, "Player Character Idiot Hero That Wisens Up" "Rival With Attitude" "Distaff Counterpart to Player Character", and I think because she is an OC, she is disliked.

But I respect your opinions, I might be a bit biased. The very first Pokemon anything I ever had was Volume Four of Pokemon Adventures (Special). I remember, seeing some old lady find some sort of mysterious thing and wondering "Oooh what willhappen", I remember some sort of kid that seemed to be doing well with these interesting Pokemon and I thought he was going to be the hero but *bam* he gets kidnapped or something, and then there was this poor injured Pikachu and this one suspiciously girly boy coming along, doing mysterious stuff and amazing the tough-to-impress professor, carries on the mantle of the previous hero in an interesting quest to find him, she eventually winds up using an interesting plan to defeat Lorelei and the 'Nerd, not only did she use these awesome "Pokemon" guys and psychic powers, she uses her mind and thinks sharply. By the end, we get to know this rival guy and it just left me with so many questions and it was so interesting, I loved the character Yellow and the Pokemon's designs so much that I had to read more.

Realistic as in completely boring? Saving each other all the time is overused, overdone and shouldn't be used solely for attraction. It's like watching grass grow, you just want something to happen.
Um, stuff *does* happen. I mean, you can't get any more overt in terms of romantic attraction when your Pokemon make an egg. I mean...you can't really get any more overt than that in Pokemon media.
Aside from that, it went from Yellow seeing Red as a Mentor, than a friend, than maybe something more. It bloomed all the time in RGBYGSC, again, can't speak for FRLG.

I see Yellow as a plot device. Is there any arc, or heck scene other than her just talking where isn't used for plot device?
I think you are confusing "plot device" with "character who is an actor as opposed to re-actor in the plot".

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Actually, Yellow raised the levels of her Pokemon during the battle against Lance, that wasn't just a FRLG thing, and because she doesn't like battling she obviously doesn't train her Pokemon, so how else can she gain levels? I don't know what extent she can do it FRLG, but I know in Yellow it was just to make a more interesting climax.
Yellow can raise her Pokemons levels to roughly their high 80s in FR/LG if memory serves. Sird/Saki/Storc (whatever you want to call her lol) was actually the one to pick up on that when she became angry her Pokemon levels went up and became more powerful, but it wore her out easily.

Again, Yellow Saga:
-> In the battle with Lorelei with Bill, she fell asleep after moving the Pokeball on the rod, if I recall correctly.
-> After fighting with Lance she fell out of the sky to be caught by Red and to wake up later.
Heck, I can think of one easily: In GSC there was a scene with Crys where she battled and fell asleep.

Um, stuff *does* happen. I mean, you can't get any more overt in terms of romantic attraction when your Pokemon make an egg. I mean...you can't really get any more overt than that in Pokemon media.
Aside from that, it went from Yellow seeing Red as a Mentor, than a friend, than maybe something more. It bloomed all the time in RGBYGSC, again, can't speak for FRLG.
So? My friends' Pokemon and mine can make Pokemon have eggs together and that doesn't suddenly mean we're in love or a couple, and I doubt it even does in the manga universe. To me the most I could see is it being one-sided, with Yellow liking Red and Red not liking her back or having any idea due to being a typical oblivious male protagonist. I just...honestly don't see it.

And well, as much as I like every character in Special to some degree, Yellow is definitely my least favorite of the dexholders.

Last edited:

Ame Kuudere

I mean, you can't get any more overt in terms of romantic attraction when your Pokemon make an egg.

I think it was implied that Emerald's and Red's Snorlaxes, Emerald's and Crys's Mr. Mimes, Emerald's and Gold's Mantines, Emerald's and Gold's Sudowoodos, and Blue's Ditto and Red's Espeon were going to breed. So, umn, either Emerald's the Fandom Bicycle, or Pokemon relationships aren't always metaphorical for those of their owners.
Of course, Specialshipping is hinted at at numerous other times, but like 1dbad, I really can't see it developing much more besides the whole Yellow-admires-him-and-likes-him-a-little-and-Red-is-oblivious.
...wait, when did this become about shipping? >.<

Forretress Fan

Let's Go
I depise Emerald. the R/S volume was very intriguing to start anew and with new goals and pokemon. But Emerald came off as a spoiled brat and I dislike his character design and do not wish to see a return of him.