• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Least favorite gym puzzle in every generation ?

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
What are you most hated gym puzzles in each generation?

Gen 1: Lt Surge (how does he get in there himself before work ?)

Gen 2: Pryce (ice puzzles)

Gen 3: Tate & Liza Ruby & Sapphire

Gen 4: Candice Platinum (that damned ice puzzle)

Gen 5: Clay in Black & White 2

Gen 6: No experience with X & Y but Wallace in Omega Ruby, that last floor is OVER 80 TILES. Took me a reset because the UNAVOIDABLE FAT pokefan lady with glasses on the far left on the top rows moves towards me which is in front of me and i couldn't step onto that next tile correctly. Had to leave the gym to reset her location after beating her.

Gen 7: No experience

Gen 8: There aren't many actual puzzles here but Nessa and her water pipes did test my patience.

Honorable mentions

Gen 4:
Crasher Wake's gym in all versions. Finding the sequence to get to him is annoying enough, and getting out of the gym is another headache.

Elesa: Black & White 2, you are told to go into the old gym if you entered the stage area first. So you go into the old gym, the tracks are slow and when you get to the end you are told that she just left like a jerk.
This means you fought 6 trainers in the roller coaster gym and 4 more trainers on the model stage. Talk about being drained if you didn't visit the pokemon center after beating 10 trainers.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Any puzzles involving ice is a no-no for me, possibly because of traumatic childhood experiences with the Ice Path in the original Silver. I think I spent around half an hour to 45 minutes on both Candice's puzzle in Platinum and Wallace's in OR, the latter because of those ice tiles that break if you step on them. I had to keep leaving the gym and re-entering in the latter case to reset the tiles a few times.

Lt. Surge's puzzle is annoying too, especially in the older games where if you find just one can containing trash, the whole thing resets, and it's random every time. I never played that far in the original Gen 1 games, but I'd imagine Sabrina's puzzle with its teleporting pads was a nightmare for players.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Sabrina’s in Gen I was a nightmare to get past due to how confusing those warp panels and where they end up are. It wouldn’t be so bad if there weren’t so many of them and were all the same distance apart so that you could remember better which ones you’ve tried as all of the separate rooms looked identical other than the trainer sprites. At least with Valerie, you ended up in unique looking rooms which made memorization much easier. After Sabrina the other Gym puzzle I hate is Lt. Surge’s as one mistake automatically resets everything and you need to check every single trash can again which gets tedious after the second time it happens. After that none of the puzzles were really that frustrating other than maybe Norman but that is more from the Trainer battles themselves given that was the puzzle and if you have a strong Fighting type especially in Gen VI if you have a Machop or Machamp with No Guard and a Ghost type, you’ll be okay since the Ghost could serve as a distraction while you heal your Fighting type as the Ghost isn’t very likely to receive any damage due to type immunity and Kabu since his puzzle is points based and the other trainers can have Pokémon that will attack yours.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I just defeated each pokemon that the opposing trainer before capturing a pokemon. Just like team KO-ing jerk .
I do the same but it’s pretty annoying to have to go through. I mean it’s tolerable when compared to Kanto based Sabrina or Lt Surge but the trainers’ Pokemon attacking yours can easily mess up a Nuzlocke or speedrun of the games.

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I remember Morty's original Gen 2 Gym being a terrible thing. Y'know, with the strange floor where stepping on an incorrect tile sends you back to the start? I would spend an unreal amount of time trying to figure out the right path (This was a 8 or so year-old me, who was doing this totally blind...) AND I had to go through all the Trainers, which took a toll on my team. To be honest, fighting Morty himself was a breather in comparison!

MrJechgo

I got 3 from Gen 2:
  1. Whitney's defeat... which you need to talk to her AFTER you won, or else you are not getting the badge.
  2. Jasmine's request to heal her Ampharos for the lighthouse. That might not be hard, but it's a big detour.
  3. Clair's mission AFTER you beat her so you could get her Badge.

TwilightBlade

Gen 1 - Koga's gym because I get lost easily in there
Gen 2 - Chuck's gym puzzle annoyed me for some reason
Gen 3 - Liza and Tate's gym puzzle takes too long to complete in Emerald
Gen 4 - The elevator in Fantina's gym is so slow in DP
Gen 5 - Marlon's lily pad gym puzzle in B2W2 is annoying
Gen 6 - I only remember thinking that Wulfric's puzzle was tedious

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I dont like the random teleport mechanic, I always just randomly go into the portals instead of memorizing.
But it's still better than no puzzles at all

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I dont like the random teleport mechanic, I always just randomly go into the portals instead of memorizing.
But it's still better than no puzzles at all
Valerie did the teleporting Gym puzzle the best because each room was decorated and themed differently so you didn’t need to memorize as much.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I hated the "step on it and fall/go back" puzzles. Really annoying and more time-consuming than challenging.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I hated the "step on it and fall/go back" puzzles. Really annoying and more time-consuming than challenging.
I think Morty’s wasn’t that bad. Once you got the hint from the first trainer in the Gym, it is easy to navigate even in the remakes. It also helped you level up Ghost and Dark types since by the time you face Morty all you have to help train those types against Pokémon weak to them are a bunch of really low level Gastly and the Unown and they aren’t worth battling and Abra just flees. Drowzee can work but it’s not nearly common enough to find in the Wild.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
The Stow-on-Side Gym in Sword and Shield does wind me up, the spinning cup things are hard to steer with your controller and if you get hit by the wrong boxing glove/zombie claw you can get stuck in one place with no way of getting out. I also remember getting frustrated with the puzzle in the Sootopolis City gym in OR/AS, it always took me a few attempts to work out how to get across each floor without falling through one of the tiles. I even rage-quit and deleted my save file once because I couldn't get past this puzzle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Matis (Lt. Surge) had a very irritating Gym puzzle in the earlier games: I always had a hard time solving the trash can puzzle when I was younger. I also dislike Mikuri's (Wallace's) Gym puzzle in the Gen III games since it was easy to mess it up even just by accident by taking a wrong step.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Matis (Lt. Surge) had a very irritating Gym puzzle in the earlier games: I always had a hard time solving the trash can puzzle when I was younger. I also dislike Mikuri's (Wallace's) Gym puzzle in the Gen III games since it was easy to mess it up even just by accident by taking a wrong step.
If Gen III Wallace is bad then try doing his gym in the Gen 6 remakes. The last ice floor area is nearly 100 tiles including trainers that walk in on you on a tile you havent used yet so you have to walk back into a cracked tile. Then leave the gym until both 2 trainers before Wallace have been reset to their original spot and i still had to use a map.
I'm never doing it all over again. The original 3DS screen is too tiny for this.

Gen 6 - I only remember thinking that Wulfric's puzzle was tedious

Yeah that Rubik's cube rotation/disco colored puzzle was annoying. Even with a guide i had to look away for a bit to avoid getting headaches.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Did Valerie's gym puzzle in X/Y give anyone Sabrina flashbacks? That's what it reminded me of the first time.