• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Least favourite gym leader

Shuriken Throw

Here is a thread to discuss our least favourite gym leaders from the Pokemon Anime series.
I'll get started and say that mine is Viola. I did not like seeing Ash struggle with the first Kalos gym, especially since he struggled with that cheap ice field trick.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Marlon. Where do I begin with this guy. We never get a look inside his Gym because the battle takes place outside. We rarely get to see Ash & Co. explore Humilau City or the Marine Tube nearby which is just one of the most graphically and artistically stunning locations of BW2. Also his ace Pokemon shouldn't be Mantine, it should be Jellicent from the games. They don't even treat this guy like a character of the day. They treat him more like a random stranger with almost no character or personality. Still, I did enjoyed the Pokemon battle somewhat but that's about really it.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
Here is a thread to discuss our least favourite gym leaders from the Pokemon Anime series.
I'll get started and say that mine is Viola. I did not like seeing Ash struggle with the first Kalos gym, especially since he struggled with that cheap ice field trick.
It kinda made sense considering he is actually BW Ash, just came from Unova.
That gym battle finally made him question himself which he should have done long ago in the BW series.
He realised(with help from Serena) that he needs to step up.
Thus, we get the competent Ash in XY.
Basically converting BW Ash into XY Ash.
Which is good that the writers didn't suddenly make him turn into a competent trainer.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I really never liked Marlon because he was just so easy to defeat in BW2 and was laughably weak for a final Gym Leader when compared to the likes of Clair and Juan with their Kingdra which was before the Fairy typing existed and Dragon types still pretty rare, Wulfric with his Avalugg that could punish harshly with Avalanche given that it also knew Curse and would most likely be attacking after you go, and Volkner who had Thunder Wave he could abuse. Wallace was also a challenge with his Milotic knowing Recover and the Marvel Scale Ability. With Marlon, all you really needed was a high leveled Pokémon that knew Thunder and/or Thunderbolt. Carracosta’s Sturdy could help it survive the initial attack but if you used a Super Effective multi-strike Attack on it, Carracosta goes down like paper. Even in Hard Mode, Mantine is considered very weak for an Ace if you can take it out with a Thundershock. This is even made worse that on Hard mode, I once nearly wiped out his entire team with a Lv 38 Galvatula with Thunderbolt and a single Volt Switch. That’s just sad.

Last edited:

MockingJ

Banned
Wattson because he lost so fast and his two episodes weren't that great when I think about their content. Also Marlon because Ash and him didn't interact and his episode was wasted on Cameron.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Roxie.
"Hey, let's try to make one of the first two gym leaders in BW 2 work as the final gym leader" "That's a fine idea, let's do it! Nevermind the fact we've got Marlon and Drayden for Ash to fight" "And then let's further pour salt into the wound by making Ash lose to Cheren, and never battle the other two!"

Bleh.
I like Roxie in the games, but she was literally the worst gym leader in Best Wishes! Why couldn't they give Cameron her and let Ash face Marlon instead? Then that new trainer.... whatever her name was from the end, they could have her face Cheren. While Iris beat Drayden. Problem solved, all gym leaders get great focus and don't make Ash or them look awful in the process!

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Misty. Couldn't stand her attitude sometimes.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Sabrina' s abilities were rather ridicolous, too.
I think that was just satire on psychic types in general. Psychic types were the most ridiculously overpowered types in the entire Gen 1 games. It made Gen 4/Gen 5 Dragon look tame in comparison.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Erika was annoying when she kicked Ash out of her Gym just because he insulted her perfume, and her Gloom seemed overpowered, too. Sabrina' s abilities were rather ridicolous, too.

Oh right, she definitely deserved getting her license revoked for that. So he doesn't like perfume, so what? He's a 10 year old boy, what do you expect?
I still say Roxie's the worst, but Erika's up there

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
In the anime, I basically lost all respect for Sabrina and the total garbage reason of how and why Ash got the Marsh Badge. I know it’s not really her fault but that Gym battle ended up being so anti-climatic. First off Haunter was never owned by Ash nor did he catch it. Haunter just decided to follow Ash. Second making Sabrina laugh isn’t the same as defeating her no matter how hard you try. At least with Erika, Ash actually did something of value to get the badge when he ran into the burning Gym to save Gloom. Yeah it was a cop out but not everyone would literally run back into a burning building to save a Pokémon that is trapped inside without the proper training and equipment. With Koga, Ash did have a battle even though it was interrupted by TRio. But there’s no justification for Sabrina.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
Oh right, she definitely deserved getting her license revoked for that. So he doesn't like perfume, so what? He's a 10 year old boy, what do you expect?

Erika denying Satoshi a chance to battle her didn't feel like something that would've been against the rules to me, however. She was in charge of both the perfume shop and the Tamamushi Gym, so if she had an issue with Satoshi's behavior at the shop, then it seemed within her right to also refuse to battle him.

Lunalah

Giovanni because he never got to battle Ash at the Viridian Gym and also because he was dumb for leaving the Gym in the care of the Team Rocket trio. That was like leaving a bull in a china shop.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Why do people keep blaming Erika? It was literally her employees blocking Ash's way. She even told them to step aside because a challenge was a challenge regardless of who it was coming from.

Anyway, the worst one was probably Clay. Complaining about Attract being OP doesn't really make you look intelligent.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Giovanni was straight up dumb for leaving his gym the grunts, but really, OS was a really bad showing for all the Kanto gym leaders. It's part of the reason I'd like a short spinoff series (maybe starring Lillie or Gladion taking on the Indigo league), so they can retcon some of the dumber things about OS.