• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Least Favourite Remake

Which remakes are your least favourites?

• FireRed/LeafGreen

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • HeartGold/SoulSilver

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Let's Go, Pikachu!/Ler's Go, Eevee!

Votes: 35 77.8%

• Total voters

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I never liked the concept of Let's GO so I never bought them. And miraculously, I didn't actually like HGSS in particular and I played them over and over in the past. The level curve was an abomination and it was near impossible to train anything. Basically one of the few games where using a Legendary is probably recommended if you don't want to deal with the hassle of spending hours training your mons in order to prepare for Kanto and I think I'd rather not spend hours grinding with Golbats on Victory Road that has no trainers.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Let’s Go are my least favorite in terms of them being games. They could’ve easily put the Kanto evolutions in and that’d give them games a niche that even FRLG couldn’t. But they went with the most basic approach. Also don’t like how their “we’re trying to keep true to the originals” remark is inconsistent: so Abilties/held items aren’t in because they weren’t in Yellow but I don’t remember Megas, Dark/Steel/Fairy Types, or the physical special split in Yellow either.

In terms of remakes fixing the originals, though, I think HGSS is the worst. Literally none of Johto’s flaws were adjusted

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Lets go was OK for me, but the fact there is barely any post game is just...
I had fun playing them for what they were, but I cant replay it

That's kind of how I feel. But I'm replaying it due to losing my original save.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I will never even touch LGPE with a 10 foot pole, that game is the culmination of nearly every issue with the modern games, too easy, too obsessed with mobile, not enough content, too much Kanto pandering, and then to add insult to injury they restrict to game but nothing but the same 150 Pokemon that have been shoved down our throats for 22 years. Not just in the main game, in the game period. And there's no redeeming factor in this game whatsoever, everything it does remotely well is done better elsewhere. So yeah, complete and utter liability for the series.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In terms of remakes fixing the originals, though, I think HGSS is the worst. Literally none of Johto’s flaws were adjusted
I do agree that HG/SS could've used more tweaking, especially when it came to the leveling curve. A few changes in wild Pokemon encounters in the first half of the games would've been nice, too: I hated that we had to wait so long to capture certain Gen II species such as Delvil (Houndour). And on this subject, I have to admit that the Safari Zone block system irked me a bit.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
HGSS. You can't level up in that game!

Also where Kanto pandering was at its worse.
May I ask why you consider it the worst? Kanto does make up a large part of the games due to the post-game, but I feel that when it comes to unnecessary pandering games like Lets Go or even XY tend to be bigger targets, so I'm curious why HGSS earns more of your ire for it.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
May I ask why you consider it the worst? Kanto does make up a large part of the games due to the post-game, but I feel that when it comes to unnecessary pandering games like Lets Go or even XY tend to be bigger targets, so I'm curious why HGSS earns more of your ire for it.
Xy are pandering games? Lol
U clearly didnt play SM. Alolan forms? Just Kanto. Z moves besides gen 7 monsters? Just Kanto. Etc
The hate for xy in this forum is beyond this world

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Xy are pandering games? Lol
U clearly didnt play SM. Alolan forms? Just Kanto. Z moves besides gen 7 monsters? Just Kanto. Etc
The hate for xy in this forum is beyond this world
I don't hate XY though, I'm not sure what about my post makes you think I hate them, but I never said that and I'd appreciate if you didn't put words in my mouth.

Also, when I wrote that sentence I was not speaking for myself. When I see when people talk about the games being too pandering, XY does pop up as a target for people. Some fans saw things like the abundance of Kanto Megas vs other regions, Snorlax blocking the road, the Kanto Legendaries being thrown into the region instead of its own new set, and felt that the games were trying too hard to appeal to Kanto fans. You obviously don't agree, but that doesn't change what others felt about it.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I don't hate XY though, I'm not sure what about my post makes you think I hate them, but I never said that and I'd appreciate if you didn't put words in my mouth.

Also, when I wrote that sentence I was not speaking for myself. When I see when people talk about the games being too pandering, XY does pop up as a target for people. Some fans saw things like the abundance of Kanto Megas vs other regions, Snorlax blocking the road, the Kanto Legendaries being thrown into the region instead of its own new set, and felt that the games were trying too hard to appeal to Kanto fans. You obviously don't agree, but that doesn't change what others felt about it.
Well the Kanto pandering in SM is clearly bigger. Its true that many Kanto Pokemon got Megas, but there were many from other gens too

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Let's Go, hands down. The most limited dex ever since all it allowed was KANTOOOOO without even cross-gen evolution or pre-evos and only Alolan form as a gimmick to try adding type diversity. The graphics are nice and I like the interactions with the partner but other than that, it's barebones and a cash-grab.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
It's probably a tie between FR/LG & Let's Go

While the Sevii Islands were a nice addition that foreshadowed the events of HG/SS, I just remember how annoying FR/LG were due to the Kanto dex lock and the help screen making the game feel too hand-holdey (even moreso than 3D pokemon games have been). I'm not as mad about the dex limitations in future games, but at the time it was so annoying since I either wanted to try using Johto or Hoenn pokemon on my Kanto journey or I had to deal with all of the times pokemon like Golbat were forced to stop evolving. Plus, the cutscenes for stuff like items & TMs got old really fast.

I'm a little more lenient towards Let's Go since it features Green in the postgame, it has a good balance between being modern and faithful to Yellow, the art style's a great homage to the original Red & Green illustrations, & it's the first game to implement Go transfers. However, the games are still a lukewarm experience overall because of the catching mechanics causing me to spend so much money on pokeballs, the EXP system due to said catching mechanics makes this feels more like a grind to play than any other pokemon game, & Trace being the worst friendly rival in the series. This is actually the first pokemon game I haven't finished, & I'm not sure if I ever will.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Because unlike those games, the actual region of Johto suffers from it alongside having half of the gym leaders using Kanto Pokemon as their aces. They even locked a few Johto Pokemon *postgame*. Funniest part about it is how in the end, Kanto itself still suffered from being a hollow shell. I appreciate them trying to cram a second region in but at that point, you may as well just had Johto be a lot bigger!

XY was only bad in the Kanto pandering when it came to the Megas somewhat namely Charizard and Mewtwo alongside smaller stuff like copy+paste Viridian Forest, forced encounter Pidgey, Team Flare's hideout, and the Mewtwo/birds postgame. I guess it may have been bad in the beginning with also them giving you a Kanto starter but even then, once that is out of the way, I feel like Kalos gets its time to shine.

For LGPE, it's a remake of Kanto. It's expected to feature all of that stuff.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
XY was only bad in the Kanto pandering when it came to the Megas somewhat namely Charizard and Mewtwo alongside smaller stuff like copy+paste Viridian Forest, forced encounter Pidgey, Team Flare's hideout, and the Mewtwo/birds postgame. I guess it may have been bad in the beginning with also them giving you a Kanto starter but even then, once that is out of the way, I feel like Kalos gets its time to shine.
Reading this now makes me see X & Y as the Pokemon equivalent to Star Wars: The Force Awakens since they both incorporated so many parallels/references to their original predecessors

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's probably a tie between FR/LG & Let's Go

While the Sevii Islands were a nice addition that led to some foreshadowing to the events of HG/SS, I just remember how annoying FR/LG were due to the Kanto dex lock and the barrage of tutorials and guide making the game feel too hand-holdey (even moreso than 3D pokemon games have been). I'm not as mad about the dex limitations in future games, but at the time it was so annoying since I either wanted to try using Johto or Hoenn pokemon on my Kanto journey or all of the times pokemon like Golbat were forced to stop evolving. Plus, the cutscenes for stuff like items & TMs got old really fast.
Which "barrage of tutorials" are you referring to? Because I don't remember there being that many: the capture tutorial in Tokiwa (Viridian) City was a standard tutorial that we've also gotten in most other games, or if you're referring to the TV Key Item, I'm pretty sure that watching those guide videos is entirely optional. As for the item usage cut-scenes, those can be skipped by pressing the B button if I remember correctly.