• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Leave your Godzilla jokes at the door; Japan hit by 8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
[imgsize=550]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/2011Sendai-NOAA-TravelTime-Ttvulhvpd9-06.jpg[/imgsize]

Saw that on the KFYI website. Amazing...

Let's see, how many terrible earthquakes have occurred the past two years? I mean, the first big earthquake I remember hearing about this year was in New Zealand about a couple of weeks ago, and though that was bad, and did cause damage, that's nothing compared to this. I can't tell if this was worse than the Alaskan earthquake or not.

What do the waves on the West Coast look like, by the way? It's not as bad as everyone's thinking it is, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_7kpa7fWU&feature=player_embedded

Amazing, but horrifying pictures.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
It's pathetic and ignorant how people are willing to believe that this happened because the Japanese (not my own words, btw) "believed in false gods and idols and not God and Jesus".

Another pathetic thing is that people are arguing about religious standpoints and "judgement day" at a time like this.

Truly pathetic.

My condolonces to those who died, as well as their families. :(

mia100

My thoughts are with all those who are suffering. I saw this on the news this morning before the tsunami hit and was so shocked at the images I have seen since I have got home.
Japan has done so much to protect themselves against the constant threat of earthquakes but how could anyone plan and protect from a tsunami like that? Entire buildings were smashed to pieces and trains and boats swept away. Nothing stood a chance against it. I sadly think the current death toll of 500 will rise quickly over the next few days.
I don't think anyone will be thinking about financial matters over there right now, the cost in lives is much sadder and more important.
I wish there were something I could do but many emergency teams are on stand by including the UK.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
It's pathetic and ignorant how people are willing to believe that this happened because the Japanese (not my own words, btw) "believed in false gods and idols and not God and Jesus".

Another pathetic thing is that people are arguing about religious standpoints and "judgement day" at a time like this.

I haven't heard about the first one-to be honest, who the hell would bring something up like that in a time like this?

I've heard the second one- in 4 days, we are all going to die because the earth is moving postition in gravitional pull, or something like that.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Alongside the US and China, Japan was the only country whose economy grew last year, albeit by only 0.4%.
Ehh, I guess it depends on the fiscal year/quarter.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I was told on the news that the value of the yen fell pretty hard.
Has it? I haven't seen any change yet. (For personal reasons I keep tabs on it) Maybe it'll change tomorrow. Honestly for a long time now the Yen has surpassed the dollar by a lot.
Found out my friend who was staying there is just fine along with a few others. This is really bad but it's amazing how prepared Japan is for something like this.

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
What's horrible is how Godzilla was trending on Twitter

At least people stopped making "Dugtrio used Earthquake!" jokes (knock on wood).

and how people are comparing this disaster with Hurricane Katrina. Good lord.

Okay, what? Katrina was bad, but it was nowhere near the level of this.

(that's used to measure earthquakes)

SPPf's not that stupid. :/

I mean SPPf as a whole is stupid, but it's not that stupid.

e: 4chan thought it'd be funny to start trolling Japanese people about various instances of people dying. Gotta love those fuckasses.

Ugh, that's disgusting.

Goddamn, there's an anime for everything.

I think there's an anime for that too.

I've heard the second one- in 4 days, we are all going to die because the earth is moving postition in gravitional pull, or something like that.

Pfft, every day is the end of the world. There's always some kid on a quest to help the world pull through at the last minute, so we're pretty much safe.

My condolences go out to the people who lost family members and friends. I'll probably donate a few bucks as soon as I find an opportunity to do so. Whatever helps, man.

Last edited:

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
This is horrible. Wish I could do something to help. :(

XXD17

Draco rex
I actually have an aunt, an uncle, and two cousins that live near that region...and they are OK for the time being...let's hope the aftershocks aren't too bad...the poor, poor people :( Tis truly a dark day for the land of the rising sun...

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but is it true that this was even worse than Katrina or Haiti?

Stop comparing natural disasters. Loss of life is the same difference irrespective of scale.

Latest from the BBC;

BBCBreaking BBC Breaking News
Japanese authorities to release radioactive vapour to ease pressure at Fukushima #nuclear reactor, from AP #Japan

BBCBreaking BBC Breaking News
Japan hit by strong magnitude 6.6 aftershock just hours after it was hit by massive 8.9 quake: http://bbc.in/e29Rho

Chris

Old Coot
e: 4chan thought it'd be funny to start trolling Japanese people about various instances of people dying. Gotta love those fuckasses.
The 8.8 jokes started cropping up around the time the quake initially hit. :\

Oh come on!

As a New Orleanian I'll kindly disagree with you
Locke, kindly shut up. Hurricane Katrina has NOTHING on an 8.9 earthquake, followed by a tsunami which was then later followed by a 5.1 aftershock tremor. As someone who experienced Hurricane Andrew, even I can recognize that hurricanes are nothing compared to what Japan experienced. Especially when you HAVE WARNINGS WITH HURRICANES. As I mentioned before, the only real issue that New Orleans had wasn't the hurricane itself, but the aftermath from the government taking its sweet time to respond. That and it didn't help several people were warned to get out before it hit. Both are natural catastrophes, but the effects of this one is much worse.