• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Leave your Godzilla jokes at the door; Japan hit by 8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami.

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
Looked like something off the T.V..

God bless them.

Mysty

I just realized something. In the past 10 years 3 major Subduction zones on the ring of fire have had massive tsunamigenic quakes. *shudder*

Japan convergent boundary
Chilean subduction zone
Sumatran subduction zone

Earth's axis has reportedly shifted ten inches as a result of the quake, and Japan's coast is said to have permanently shifted 2.4 metres.
wow, that's massive; especially when you compare it to the 10cm the chile earthquake moved the axis (this one is 25cm for you americans).

Titan500

Solar Panels
I learned about this when I went on Google yesterday. I hope the Japanese people are okay as well. And I hope that the people that will be affected by the tsunami are going to be safe.

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
Geology major here.

I'm just creeped out because I'm in. Hazards class right now and Wednesday we talked about this type of event in depth. Including the teacher (who has dived on Alvin into this very zone) talking about really cheesy Japanese quake education videos.

This is a subduction zone quake. I'll type more when I get on my actual computer, but basically these zones are the areas capable of the biggest quakes.

There is a zone, called the Cascadia Subduction zone off the coast of Oregon, Washington, and parts of Canada.

Anyways, the subduction zone is an area where oceanic crust is subducted back into the asthenosphere.

Japan is of the oceanic-crust to oceanic crust type of subduction.

Okay, I'll shut up with the scientific junk. I get carried away by geology as geophysics and seismology are my intended fields.

Geology major too. The Cascadia subduction zone pretty much terrifies me since I live close to it and right in the Columbia Gorge... We're screwed if we get a huge tsunami that comes up the river...

I feel bad for everyone affected, the photos/videos are terrifying. It sickens me that people are saying they deserve this. Disgusting.

nunzio722

levitating fetus
My god, this is horrible, my prayers go out to the people of japan, i hope that the American and Japanese governments respond soon.

Also, regarding the asshat trolls from 4chan, i just disgusts me that they can joke about the loss of lives, even if being a sack-of-turdbags is in their nature, i hope they will eventually learn to **** off and stop tormenting the japanese who have lost everything.

TerraWolf

Banned
I'm just saying, Japan is done if they don't accept help from America. All of their Reactors are going to fuck up and their going to die.

GalladeX

I'm just saying, Japan is done if they don't accept help from America. All of their Reactors are going to fuck up and their going to die.

I read that the reactor damage was pretty moderate, actually. I could be wrong, though.

And they`re probably gonna need help from the States irregardless.

nunzio722

levitating fetus
Hopefully the reactor damage isn't too bad, i just saw my local news saying that there may be possible nuclear problems, i say they take care of the reactors first before the actual structural damage, to protect the people.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Just watching the first 5 minutes of footage of the earthquake on CNN was terrible. I can't even think of what the country is going through.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
I just hope everything in Japan like Nintendo, Sega, Game Freak, and every anime are still okay :(

I should be worrying more about the people than the gaming company and studios.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I heard about it this morning when I first logged on the internet. I was really shocked. I was actually pretty upset about it, and these kinds of things normally don't bother me... It's just that Japan is such an important country, world-wide, you know? Not that smaller countries aren't important, but... it sorta hit closer to home, I guess. It's harder to believe, though it probably shouldn't be. I have a strong interest in Japanese culture, anyway, but I didn't think that would make me feel... well, it sort of made me feel connected to it, surprisingly. I guess I feel a fondness for the people who write the manga I read and share an interest in it and who live sort of like my favorite characters do...

I was worried about my Japanese professor... I hoped she didn't have an family there... but she didn't seem upset at all, so I don't think she did... although... it's kind of hard to tell, maybe?

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Arceus Gamer said:
I just hope everything in Japan like Nintendo, Sega, Game Freak, and every anime are still okay
... I hope this a joke, I mean, really?

It sickens me that people are saying they deserve this. Disgusting.

What? who is?

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
I'm worried for the people too you know, I'm just saying that the great stuff we get from Japan are still hopefully okay!

So what youre trying to say is that youre more concerned about Japan's merchandises over the people who are making the merchandises? o.o

Last edited: