• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legend of Korra: Book 4 - Balance - Starts October 3

Navin

MALDREAD
Is any else here fond of the series in general but can't give two s**ts about any of the pairings people are fighting about.(korrasami,Makaorra). I like the series for its chars and story not the pairings.

Well trying to canonize a pairing directly impacted the very end of the show since it moved away from everyone together to Korrasami.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
To keep this thread from drowning...
Which between Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra did you prefer ? Justify your answer a little bit.
I'm not asking you which you think was better written/the best, but which you personally prefered, regardless of what the majority thinks.

I honestly prefered The Legend of Korra over Avatar: The Last Airbender. I just really liked how much more mature this sequel was. There were explicit deaths, PTSD, lots of inner questioning... And let's not forget the whole spirit plot, which truthfully lacked in ATLA. It was overall beautiful. And speaking of beautiful, I have to admit, the sceneries were just amazing, and the animation of the show was simply brilliant. The bending, though, was particularily stunning and much more impressive than ATLA's.

Last edited:

colomb

That was Mike and Bryan's idea actually.

No it wasn't;

Q: Do you guys feel that if you had been given the heads up on a 4 season series rather than just a single season, that the Legend of Korra would be very different from what it is today? For example, would we have gotten a longer arc with Amon and the Equalists?
Bryan: For LOK, Nick wanted to do more standalone-style arcs, and we were happy to do so. After spending so many years with ATLA building up to a showdown with a single villain, we liked the idea of tighter arcs and a new villain for each book. We had originally pitched ATLA to be 12 episodes for each book, but the network wanted 20. So when they wanted the LOK to have shorter books, we were happy. As for Amon, we are pleased with the length of that story arc. Miniseries are where it's at!

To keep this thread from drowning...
Which between Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra did you prefer ? Justify your answer a little bit.
I'm not asking you which you think was better written/the best, but which you personally prefered, regardless of what the majority thinks.

Overall I prefer Avatar. Korra had potential to be better but it was was wasted with too much focus on tedious shipping plots, Korra being far more annoying than any main character in the franchise, and too many characters introduced only to do little to nothing (e.g. General Iroh). I did enjoy some of the best episodes of Korra more than Avatar's best, I feel we got more variety in terms of story-telling and themes rather than the constant threat of the Fire Nation.

Last edited:

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I am still playing catch up but I can comment on parts of the show as a whole. It has probably already been said before but Nick made a colossal blunder by not keeping Korra on tv and online. I guess the darker direction is partly to blame but I count that as a misstep as well. I can appreciate mature plots but The last Airbender managed to walk the line of not getting too serious and was also able to keep things interesting. Then when I hear about characters in Korra getting suffocated and/or electrocuted, that is just pushing the limits too far. What were the people at Nick thinking?

HoennMaster

The two series are too different for me to prefer one over the other. They are set in the same universe, but are drastically different. I enjoyed the direction of them both. Avatar explored the more mythological part of the world while Korra dealt with the more political side, both to fantastic results.

No it wasn't;

Q: Do you guys feel that if you had been given the heads up on a 4 season series rather than just a single season, that the Legend of Korra would be very different from what it is today? For example, would we have gotten a longer arc with Amon and the Equalists?
Bryan: For LOK, Nick wanted to do more standalone-style arcs, and we were happy to do so. After spending so many years with ATLA building up to a showdown with a single villain, we liked the idea of tighter arcs and a new villain for each book. We had originally pitched ATLA to be 12 episodes for each book, but the network wanted 20. So when they wanted the LOK to have shorter books, we were happy. As for Amon, we are pleased with the length of that story arc. Miniseries are where it's at!

That was the initial plan, and they chose to keep it that way upon renewal.

"Then, the network wanted even more Korra, so they picked up another order of 26 episodes. Mike and I wanted to stick with the shorter “books,” so creatively we are splitting the second order of 26 into Books 3 & 4, 13 episodes each."

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Then when I hear about characters in Korra getting suffocated and/or electrocuted, that is just pushing the limits too far. What were the people at Nick thinking?

I don't think that's "pushing the limits too far", to be honest. They were drastic deaths and made a real impact. It adds reality to the events; death can happen at any time on any day. Part of why I liked TLoK so much was because of the increased maturity of the show compared to ATLA, including the fact they did not hold back with the implied deaths. It gives so much feelings when you see that happen for real, and it fits really well in the story, of how some people's ideals can be pushed far.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I finally just managed to watch the finale.

I don't want this to sound the wrong way, but I was not pleased with the ending. I am not against the idea of showing a same-sex couple on TV, my problem is the way it was done. It was very rushed and forced throughout the Season 4, with there being next to no development for it in earlier seasons. In the end, they ended it the way they did purely for the purpose of being provocative, and that bugs me to no end. It should have been about what was best for the story, not what would be most shocking and make the writers look the most daring.

Everlasting

Everything stays.

I don't want this to sound the wrong way, but I was not pleased with the ending. I am not against the idea of showing a same-sex couple on TV, my problem is the way it was done. It was very rushed and forced throughout the Season 4, with there being next to no development for it in earlier seasons. In the end, they ended it the way they did purely for the purpose of being provocative, and that bugs me to no end. It should have been about what was best for the story, not what would be most shocking and make the writers look the most daring.

This is exactly my opinion. Thank you for expressing it that way. I didn't really know to put it in words.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Navarch

I also agree with this. Korrasami is cool and all, but really, Makorra would have made more sense plot-wise.

Also I need more Kuvira whenever we get comics. She is sosososo interesting.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

So it's just like people complaining about the gay option in Mass Effect 3: there wasn't just enough development.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Well, I'm glad they made the whole LGBT thing happen on screen; I think it was quite courageous of them, and hopefully it will help other people conflicted with their sexualities. I just wish the relationship between Korra and Asami was actually romantic, that it developed to be that way. Makorra was developed like it was meant to be endgame. Korrasami should've got that treatment. I didn't like how they threw us Asami simply for the impact on the medias. I think they should've focused on a good ending for their story, as Bguy7 said.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Tbh, even as a gay person myself, I don't see Korra x Asami as courageous or progressive. I see it more as calculated; like it was purposely done to incite controversy, regardless of what the creators have said. Since there was never any real romantic chemistry between the two girls, I find it hard to believe that the ship was planned ahead of time.

HM02gon

Waiting...
Well, I'm glad they made the whole LGBT thing happen on screen; I think it was quite courageous of them, and hopefully it will help other people conflicted with their sexualities. I just wish the relationship between Korra and Asami was actually romantic, that it developed to be that way. Makorra was developed like it was meant to be endgame. Korrasami should've got that treatment. I didn't like how they threw us Asami simply for the impact on the medias. I think they should've focused on a good ending for their story, as Bguy7 said.

I could care less about Korrasami. When's the next season or sequel or whatever?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I could care less about Korrasami. When's the next season or sequel or whatever?

Good point. My vote is for Avatar: Chapter Won

However, with the way that Nick is going, and the fact that Korra was taken off TV, it won't happen for a long time, and that's assuming the best.

Last edited:

HoennMaster

You guys are acting like it was shoved down our throats. All they did was hold hands for Gods sake. And while it may not have seemed romantic to a lot of people, they definitely started building this up at the beginning of Book Three. Unfortunately, when you have shorter seasons you have to pick or chose what you focus on.

Tbh, even as a gay person myself, I don't see Korra x Asami as courageous or progressive. I see it more as calculated; like it was purposely done to incite controversy, regardless of what the creators have said. Since there was never any real romantic chemistry between the two girls, I find it hard to believe that the ship was planned ahead of time.

You may not see it that way, but the fact that major network aimed at children's programming included a same-sex couple is pretty big....granted it would have been bigger had they not been beat to it by Disney.

Mike and Bryan have made it very clear that they are not doing anything Avatar related in the near future. And even if they didn't say that...how are we suppose to know?

colomb

I am still playing catch up but I can comment on parts of the show as a whole. It has probably already been said before but Nick made a colossal blunder by not keeping Korra on tv and online. I guess the darker direction is partly to blame but I count that as a misstep as well. I can appreciate mature plots but The last Airbender managed to walk the line of not getting too serious and was also able to keep things interesting. Then when I hear about characters in Korra getting suffocated and/or electrocuted, that is just pushing the limits too far. What were the people at Nick thinking?

The creators already explained that the Queen's death and whatever had nothing to do with the show being pulled. Why do people not get it? The ratings were barely above 1 million for Book 3 when they pulled it, far from the 3.5 million that book 1 averaged. The creators even mentioned Nick's reasoning for moving it online. http://avatarthelegendofkorraonline...vie-digital-korra-nickelodeon-marketing/6591/

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You may not see it that way, but the fact that major network aimed at children's programming included a same-sex couple is pretty big....granted it would have been bigger had they not been beat to it by Disney.

Just curious, what did Disney do? I don't tend to follow Disney Channel, and thought that Korra was the first to do it.