• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legend of Korra: Book 4 - Balance - Starts October 3

HoennMaster

Episode 1 is online.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just watched the season premiere and I can honestly say I have very strong mixed feelings

It works well as a prologue to help set up the rest of the season, but there are just so many drastic changes here, and it's so painfully to see these characters change & suffer so much, at one point it becomes a little painful to watch. The two hardest characters for me would definitely be Korra and Bolin. While it's obvious that Korra is still broken after her fight with Zaheer and it's natural to see her running away and joining this fighting circuit, it's still disheartening to view at the same time and it feels as if she's never going to get out of this state.

Then there's Bolin. I know that he believes that joining Kuvira's forces is his way of helping people, but I still find it hard to believe that the kindest, sweetest, and most sincere characters in the entire Avatar series is now working with the bad guys!! (Varrick and Zhu Li are part of Kuvira's forces too, but they were already partial antagonists so it's not that big a deal) And on top of that, Opal and Bolin are now having a struggling relationship since she knows what kind of a monster Kuvira really is and Bolin is too blinded to see the truth. I know he'll more than likely turn around by the end of the season, but right now this is more difficult for me to comprehend than anything else.

There are other elements that I wasn't that fond of like how Mako's been forced to serve as the permanent body guard for the new Earth Prince (who's almost even worse than the Earth Queen), but that's nothing compared to Bolin. All I can say is that I hope this season turns around soon since right now it seems too depressing to handle

Grade: C

Last edited:

DasManiac

Could someone tell me what happened to all the episodes on Nick.com? I started watching Book 3 last night but now more than half the season is gone.

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
I just watched the season premiere and I can honestly say I have very strong mixed feelings

It works well as a prologue to help set up the rest of the season, but there are just so many drastic changes here, and it's so painfully to see these characters change & suffer so much, at one point it becomes a little painful to watch. The two hardest characters for me would definitely be Korra and Bolin. While it's obvious that Korra is still broken after her fight with Zaheer and it's natural to see her running away and joining this fighting circuit, it's still disheartening to view at the same time and it feels as if she's never going to get out of this state.

Then there's Bolin. I know that he believes that joining Kuvira's forces is his way of helping people, but I still find it hard to believe that the kindest, sweetest, and most sincere characters in the entire Avatar series is now working with the bad guys!! (Varrick and Zhu Li are part of Kuvira's forces too, but they were already partial antagonists so it's not that big a deal) And on top of that, Opal and Bolin are now having a struggling relationship since she knows what kind of a monster Kuvira really is and Bolin is too blinded to see the truth. I know he'll more than likely turn around by the end of the season, but right now this is more difficult for me to comprehend than anything else.

There are other elements that I wasn't that fond of like how Mako's been forced to serve as the permanent body guard for the new Earth Prince (who's almost even worse than the Earth Queen), but that's nothing compared to Bolin. All I can say is that I hope this season turns around soon since right now it seems too depressing to handle

Grade: C

Something that I think helps me with this is taht its been 3 years right? It's only natural that things would change. I haven't seen the episode yet but we can't expect things to stay the same after such a time shift. If Korra hasn't gotten out of her disheartened state, I'm sure she will as the series goes on, thats the feeling i got from the trailer anyway.

Janovy

Banned
Episode 1 thoughts:

Man, that was a good episode, though I expected more Korra! And damn, things HAVE changed. Kuvira is an antagonist like most of us figured though I am not sure whether she is aligned with Red Lotus or not or whether or not she will be main villain of Book 4.

And I'm actually digging everyone's new hairstyles! Mako, Bolin, Asami - much more mature and sophisticated - fits them a lot!

And it was sad to watch the governor have to pledge to Kuvira, he truly had no other choice.

But what is up with Korra? Where is she? Why did she lie to everyone? Why did she run away? I NEED MORE ANSWERS!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Something that I think helps me with this is taht its been 3 years right? It's only natural that things would change. I haven't seen the episode yet but we can't expect things to stay the same after such a time shift. If Korra hasn't gotten out of her disheartened state, I'm sure she will as the series goes on, thats the feeling i got from the trailer anyway.
I get that, but that's kind of the reason I don't like thime skips, since things change so drastically that's hard to readjust and connect to the characters as much as before.

Plus, while I agree with Korra, I think Bolin's changes are harder for me to cope with. I know he'll still come around in the end, but just thinking that someone like him is now technically one of the bad guys since he's working for Kuvirafeels too uncomfortable for me to handle

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I get that, but that's kind of the reason I don't like thime skips, since things change so drastically that's hard to readjust and connect to the characters as much as before.

Plus, while I agree with Korra, I think Bolin's changes are harder for me to cope with. I know he'll still come around in the end, but just thinking that someone like him is now one of the bad guys feels too uncomfortable for me to handle
Except Bolin is still a good guy. He's doing this for one reason: to help people.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Except Bolin is still a good guy. He's doing this for one reason: to help people.
I know that he's only doing this to help people and, in his POV, he's doing the right thing, but he's still technically one of the bad guys since he's now part of Kuvira's forces. Even Opal sort of pointed this out

Janovy

Banned
I know that he's only doing this to help people and, in his POV, he's doing the right thing, but he's still technically one of the bad guys since he's now part of Kuvira's forces. Even Opal sort of pointed this out
Why do you care about technicalities then? Bolin is still a good guy. They didn't actually turn Bolin in a bad guy.

Unless seeing Bolin work with Kuvira bothers you that much.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!

Keep in mind that Kuvira hasn't actually done anything villainous yet. Thus far she's simply depicted as a stern leader trying to bring the Earth Kingdom some unity. I imagine her intentions will either change, or she will become out of hand with her current plans. Furthermore, Bolin being mixed in with the wrong crowd is hardly enough to call him a "bad guy"

I just need to let all these feelings out okay

That need to readjust and reconnect is normal, yes, and I'll give you how the first episode doesn't really do a great job in doing this, but it looks like they're gonna be approaching this in medias res. For now, we first get a look of what kind of measures the Earth Kingdom has been doing to achieve "balance" these past three years in Kuvira, the air nation, and Prince Wu, and since this is gonna be the central theme of the book I think it's understandable why they'd introduce us to the book with these scenes.

As for the readjusting and reconnection, Bryke already confirmed in an interview that there will be a special episode devoted to what Korra's been up to in these past three years, and judging from the very last scene of this episode, it seems like that's gonna happen in the next few chapters. With Chapter 4 being titled "The Calling," it might be that one, but I don't really know what they would fill the next episodes with. A shot in the trailer shows the Air Babies going to the same swamp where Korra will face her past, so it might be a search-and-rescue type of arc for these first few chapters. And since there's also a shot of Book 3 finale Korra disappearing in what seems like the barracks of a stadium, that might be what would trigger Korra's search for enlightenment.

matt0044

Me after this episode:

tumblr_inline_ncuz1oWdQl1rr58wk.png

Yeah, not like gray morality is a thing in storytelling.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought the episode was good, but I actually missed Korra; she should've been uniting the Earth Kingdom instead of Kuvira, who obviously has her own motives and is conquering the nation. I actually liked Wu; he may be ridiculous, but him being the new Earth King might be a good thing if only because it might slow down Kuvira's plans for domination. Anyway, I didn't care for Bolin and Opal's drama.

Grey Wind

It was decent. Kuvira's sudden importance really came out of nowhere, but I guess we're gonna find out what happened with her and Suyin in a few episodes. The way she's being presented is kind of weird like... do Mako, Lin and co support her? Mako's line about the "Kuvira supporters" kind of implied that he had some negative opinions of her but idk. It's weird.

The rest of the episode was good though, especially the Kai/Opal stuff. It's cool to see them working together. Oh, and Tonraq is really rocking that #daddy look with the grey hair.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Well honestly...I didn't like the book 4 opener as much as book 3's. I think I overhyped this and it brought the actual episode down for me. I was not a fan of the Earth Prince character. Wu, is it? Goodness. There's funny and then there's trying too hard. Imo this character was trying way too hard to be funny and it just came off as forced. It pains me that Mako has to be with him which means the character will get more screentime. I hope the character improves. Because right now I'm hoping one of the airbenders pull a Zaheer. I really hope he gets better.

Then there's Kuvira. I like the character. My only problem is it's a villain we've all seen before. Villain acting like someone who's trying to help but in reality they are power hungry and stab the good guys in the back. Kuvira needs a mustache and she needs to be twirling it every time she talks. But she's not bad. I just see a lot of old villains in her. I like her style of metal bending. You know what would be a real twist? If Kuvira wasn't the villain. Really, just throw that curve ball a us and I'll be shocked. Oh and I so think those bandits are working for Kuvira.

Now for the good. Bolin and Opal was really enjoyable. Bolin working for the villain while thinking he's doing the right thing is very interesting. This is the second biggest interest I have in book 4. Because at some point Bolin will be at odds with Opal and his old friends. So this is looking to be great for development and I can't wait to see how Opal and Bolin handle things when Kuvira really starts twirling her mustache. Kai and Opal are doing well. My favorite scene of this episode has to be when they say Korra was arriving. I loved Meelo, Ikki, and Jinora getting excited but the one that really touched me was Tenzin's smile. It reminded me of the Korra/Tenzin dynamic I love so much. Tenzin looked like a big kid at christmas opening a present when they said Korra was coming. I love moments like this.

And finally about Korra coming, well I stand by what I said at the end of book 3, so what she's doing now makes sense to me. She probably thinks she needs a purpose. Overall a decent opener. I did like everyone's new aged look. Meelo with hair will take some getting use to but it's a nice change.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Damn Kuvira is a beast bender. She makes Lin look like an amateur Metal Bender xD.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So King Kuzco, uh, I mean, Prince Wu is once again a bad relative who doesn't compare to the first Earth Kingdom's king years ago, though his egotistical trait is not as bad as his great aunt Hou-Ting's disdain for animals and unfair ruling. Too bad Mako has to put up with him.

It tears me to see Bolin's relationship with Opal start so rocky and how his good guy attitude isn't letting him see how stern Kuvira is... Speaking of which, damn, Kuvira. I wish we'll get to see how you turned into this from that little appearance you did in the previous episode.

Why, Zelda Williams? Why must you start your voicing career with a bad girl?

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
:mouth starts foaming:

THIS AIN'T ENOUGH! 8@
That was a great start for the fourth Book, though having to wait 20 minutes before finally seeing Korra was really painful... I think this episode is a perfect example of how a season premiere should be. All I want now is to know more, because this episode clearly did not give us many answers.

Prince Wu is borderline-annoying now. Still giving it a few more episodes before giving my judgement. I have great expectations for that guy, somehow. Also, he's apparently the Queen's grand-nephew, which means Hou-Ting had a at least a brother or a sister!

Also guys, KAINORA AND BOPAL CONFIRMED CANON! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

Why, Zelda Williams? Why must you start your voicing career with a bad girl?
You say this like it was a bad thing. Kuvira is like the best thing they've showed so far from Book 4. She's so bad*ss and awesomely powerful! Whoever could get to be her voice actress would be a lucky person.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was impressed by Kuvira's Metalbending at least. She was really quick with dealing with those bandits and I'm eager to see her eventual fight with Korra.