• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legend of Korra: Book 4 - Balance - Starts October 3

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Did you even read the linked posts where they talked about it lol??

Huh, I actually hadn't seen Bryan's interview fully. Well it wouldn't be surprising, they did do a lot to appease fans. Complaints like Zhu-Li being Varrick's personal voiceless slave, Jinora's Deus Ex Machina astro powers, Toph and Katara being inactive, the female characters being a bit problematic, Makorra and other things were quickly being cleaned up to help answer fan complaints. They even referenced it in the show, "At some point you gotta leave it to the kids." using Toph as a mouth piece to tell fans that this show is about Korra and not the original GAang so quit pining for them to go into action. I naturally assumed Korrasami followed the same pattern of fan-pleasing but I guess they did put some loving and caring thought into it which, assuming they're being 100% honest, means a lot.

Togia

The Gawd
Korrasami is officially CONFIRMED by Bryan Konietzko himself on his tumblr.
... and also CONFIRMED by Michael Dante DiMartino himself on his own tumblr page!

Well, that was rather interesting to read. Also glad it's sorted out. To think they didn't intend to make Makorra happen is relatively surprising!
I just wanted an official confirmation. This ambiguity was killing me. Now I can rest easy. :)

From a cultural standpoint I think that depicting a same-sex couple within a cartoon shows progress. Even while reading the writing process I could tell that these guys really wanted to breathe some life into these characters and make the relationships a bit more realistic, which I feel like they did. Maybe one day we as people can stop being so intolerant and be able to allow creators to give us their true artistic vision.

It would also be really good to have post-animation books like with the original series and having the other characters react to Korrasami. I think it would be very interesting to see how the characters in the show react toward a real-life controversial issue. It could even be portrayed in a positive way and have the characters either be supportive, intolerant, or simply not care and just be a bit surprised is all. But that's just the sociologist in me talking.
#WhensSokka

Last edited:

Chris-kun

i still believe
Fine by me.

I still retain my right to call the ship shitastically paced though.

"If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens."

The hints have been there all along, otherwise there wouldn't be so MANY shippers and they'd just have been a crack ship with minority of fans.

EDIT: especially if you rewatch all their scenes and imagine one of them was male. If it had been Mako or Bolin people would have immediately thought it was romantic and no one would be fighting. It's a double standard to say that because they're the same sex none of their scenes could possibly have been building up to a romance.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

So was Bataar Jr. Imprisoned alongside Kuvira? Su forgave him so I could see her pulling some strings and have him pardoned. Or at the very leasg, a lighter sentence.

I wish we got to see him confront kuvira over her betrayal.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So was Bataar Jr. Imprisoned alongside Kuvira? Su forgave him so I could see her pulling some strings and have him pardoned. Or at the very leasg, a lighter sentence.

I wish we got to see him confront kuvira over her betrayal.

I want to believe that he was forgiven for his crimes, but he probably did serve time given his role as Kuvira's lieutenant.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
It's interesting they went this way, but I'm not complaining. To be honest, I didn't expect such a thing to happen. Personally, I wasn't hoping/wishing for not romantic ending. But ah well, it's not bad, either.

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
While I was not too happy with the ending overall, it makes me happy to hear and see that so far the response to it has been positive for the most part, both here and on other sites in regards to the pairing. I wonder what people will say when it airs on tv.

Navin

MALDREAD
I had the very last scene spoiled to me before I marathoned Book 4 the past several days.

Honestly, regarding Korrassami. I can admire what the writers were trying to do, but honestly, the pairing seems a bit forced. Because I had it spoiled, I was expecting more scenes between them, but apart from that one random (and it was random IMO) moment where Korra only wrote to Assami and not Mako/Bolin, it just struck me as friendship otherwise. To be honest, it seemed it was more likely Makorra would happen again considering that pairing just suffered from a series of unlucky misunderstandings, but there was still chemistry to it. I think it would have been refreshing if the protagonist didn't have to (cliche) end up being with someone, and the show ended with the Korra surrounded by all the friends she made over the series.

Anyway, Book 4 was solid. I felt some parts could have been fleshed out more, but it was obvious the show was ending and it was on a limited budget.

Slightly bittersweet the show is over. I hope there will be a future project!

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
It was a simple case of "not being given enough time". According to Byrke, Korrasami was an idea being kicked around during Season 1. But unfortunately because of the world we live in, they of course felt like there was no way in hell Nick was going to go for it. Only to find out later down the line that Nick was in support of it (With with some limitations being placed of course). Had they been told that they could be as explicit as they wanted (And are allowed) from the beginning, I have no doubt that the writers would have given more care and focus that Korrasami deserves and they would have silenced the people who called it "forced" or "out of nowhere" or "they were just caving into shippers" or "It's just fanservice cuz two 2 hot girls" (Although I still believe such people are just wrong and are just looking for any way to explain away their relationship as a means of dealing with it). For what they were able to to do given all the crap the show has had to go through still fits well and just being able to flat out say that Korra and Asami are a couple is huge (Although it shouldn't have to be, but society still has its head up its own *** when it comes to matters such as this).

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
It was a simple case of "not being given enough time". According to Byrke, Korrasami was an idea being kicked around during Season 1. But unfortunately because of the world we live in, they of course felt like there was no way in hell Nick was going to go for it. Only to find out later down the line that Nick was in support of it (With with some limitations being placed of course). Had they been told that they could be as explicit as they wanted (And are allowed) from the beginning, I have no doubt that the writers would have given more care and focus that Korrasami deserves and they would have silenced the people who called it "forced" or "out of nowhere" or "they were just caving into shippers" or "It's just fanservice cuz two 2 hot girls" (Although I still believe such people are just wrong and are just looking for any way to explain away their relationship as a means of dealing with it). For what they were able to to do given all the crap the show has had to go through still fits well and just being able to flat out say that Korra and Asami are a couple is huge (Although it shouldn't have to be, but society still has its head up its own *** when it comes to matters such as this).

I agree that the overall idea of having a BGLT couple on a kid's show like that is... refreshing and moving, but it just didn't work. If I wanted a bisexual couple as Korrasami in the show, I at least would like to have one that is well handled. I blame them for not asking Nick' from the start to see if Korrasami could work out.
I think it's great that Asami and Korra are now open bisexuals, and I kinda expected that sort of sexual orientation from Korra (was she ever taught about sex when she was in the White Lotus's grip ? I don't think so, and since she was never exposed to men or women of her age before, she could just end up being attracted to both of them in the end). It could've been such a nice writing, but again, the Korrasami ending was - I'm sorry - crappy and sudden.
I think they still should've made Makorra endgame, or at least no couples at all, with a shot of the whole Team Avatar in the end. The former because it was well developed and it would've made more sense, and the latter because I believe it means a lot for us that we see the Team Avatar at the end. Bolin didn't even get to say something to Korra in that last episode, and that is just sad.

The ending could've been a lot better.

Last edited:

Lorde

It was a simple case of "not being given enough time".

Tbh, I remember this being used as an excuse since Book 1 in terms of how the pacing of the plot was in general. I thought that it would improve in Books 2-4, but it didn't in my opinion. Korra x Asami seeming rushed and forced is one of the results imo.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I had the very last scene spoiled to me before I marathoned Book 4 the past several days.

Honestly, regarding Korrassami. I can admire what the writers were trying to do, but honestly, the pairing seems a bit forced. Because I had it spoiled, I was expecting more scenes between them, but apart from that one random (and it was random IMO) moment where Korra only wrote to Assami and not Mako/Bolin, it just struck me as friendship otherwise. To be honest, it seemed it was more likely Makorra would happen again considering that pairing just suffered from a series of unlucky misunderstandings, but there was still chemistry to it. I think it would have been refreshing if the protagonist didn't have to (cliche) end up being with someone, and the show ended with the Korra surrounded by all the friends she made over the series.

Anyway, Book 4 was solid. I felt some parts could have been fleshed out more, but it was obvious the show was ending and it was on a limited budget.

Slightly bittersweet the show is over. I hope there will be a future project!

While I'm 100% okay with Korra and Asami getting together, I will also say I'd have been fine if Korra remained single at the end and was just surrounded with all her friends and loved ones at the end. One thing I'll say about the original Avatar, as much as I love it. Aang and Katara hooking up I saw a mile away in Book 1. It was not at all surprising to see. So in that sense, Korra and Asami at least surprised me in a way I never saw coming. So I'm kinda glad they didn't just put Korra back with Mako, aka the obvious route. But the ending with Korra and all her friends together sounds like the better ending overall.

Lorde

I really hope that we get a comic spin-off for this series like we got for ATLA. I really want to see if the Earth Kingdom really will improve without a monarchy, and get closure for certain characters.

HM02gon

Waiting...
Yeah, I agree. TLA only had 3 seasons, but they developed the villains way better in that they lasted the entire series, instead of 1 villain per book. Aang had one big goal at the end of his journey, and that was to defeat the fire lord. But it seemd that Korra lacked one big huge super climax that everyone was waiting for. I guess this may have been because they were only planning to have one season, and I guess Korra's big goal was to mature or whatever.

And I'm sick of all the Korrasami crap. It was interesting at first, but now it's just plain annoying.

Navin

MALDREAD
Yeah, I agree. TLA only had 3 seasons, but they developed the villains way better in that they lasted the entire series, instead of 1 villain per book. Aang had one big goal at the end of his journey, and that was to defeat the fire lord. But it seemd that Korra lacked one big huge super climax that everyone was waiting for. I guess this may have been because they were only planning to have one season, and I guess Korra's big goal was to mature or whatever.

LoK was originally supposed to be a single season; hence why the conflict with Amon resolved in a single series. The show ended up having each villain represent the extremes of different political ideologies: Amon represented communism; Unalaq represented theocracy; Zaheer represented anarchism; and Kuvira represented fascism. Others include: Varrick represented capitalism, the Earth Queen represented monarchism, and Tarrlok represented oligarchism. Aang's story happened during a time of war, while Korra's became a sociopolitical commentary during an era of relative peacetime.

Grey Wind

I think they still should've made Makorra endgame, or at least no couples at all, with a shot fo the whole Team Avatar in the end. The former because it was well developed and it would've made more sense (was putting Korrasami really worth destroying the good writing Makorra had, even though the queer representation Korrasami gives ?), and the latter because I believe it means a lot for us that we see the Team Avatar at the end. Like Bolin didn't even get to say something to Korra in that last episode, and that is just sad.
Yes. Lmao.

Honestly I think you're just biased. Makorra were a predictable trope and took up too much screen time with their angsty antics back when they were a thing. They broke up three years ago in-universe and I really can't see how you can objectively say that they had more romantic development than Korrasami did, especially since the start of book 3 kind of made it clear that Korra was over him. Also, if you're going to write off any Korrasami interaction as moments of friendship then you don't really have any grounds to say that Makorra were being built up. You can be upset about your ship not being endgame if you want but don't try and write off Korrasami as being bad writing because of that.

I do agree that the last shot should have been of team avatar though. Would have been nice to get a final scene with them all together, although tbf they were never really presented as as much of a group as the gaang were (I don't think Bolin even spoke to Korra in the last episode lol).

Last edited:
ATLA>>>>>>LOK group interactions
ATLA>>>LOK storytelling
ATLA>>LOK villains (altough the red lotus couldve been the series main villian just like ozai)
Aang>>>>>>>>>>Korra
in all honestly ATLA was better than LOK