• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legend of Korra: Book 4 - Balance - Starts October 3

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
ATLA>>>>>>LOK group interactions
ATLA>>>LOK storytelling
ATLA>>LOK villains (altough the red lotus couldve been the series main villian just like ozai)
Aang>>>>>>>>>>Korra
in all honestly ATLA was better than LOK

Actually I thought that LOK's storytelling was better, especially when we learned about Wan's backstory and the origin of the Avatar. Otherwise, I agree that ATLA was better.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
The villains and they're conflicts with Korra were a-lot more interesting than Ozai, but I feel the overall situation with the war made for a better journey. It was more cohesive, and the ending was more satisfying and epic because of that.

Korra feels like its telling a couple of different stories per season, all with connecting lessons for the avatar, but no overarching...Arc...And it feels like there's more that should be said or done. In a way its kind of nice, like saying that the Avatar's journey is never quite over, but it just isn't as grand.

Then there's also the matter of nick boning over the creators, so perhaps more really could have been said or done...

I give it like...An 8/10, at least on the matter of story. Being generous, because I know the creators were struggling.

Last edited:

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Korra's storytelling was in a completely different predicament. Both of the series started off with a half season sized stint that was developed to wrap up even if it got cancelled. ATLA got renewed for the rest of its life so they could play out their story in its entirety. Korra got a book 2 so again, it had to wrap it up in that own book. Book 3 and 4 got renewed together and you can easily tell they're stories directly connected to each other. The only open plot point that concerned Korra at the end of book 2 are her lost connections to the previous Avatars (which never even got solved anyway).

HoennMaster

Only reason I'm glad to see this show over is that the fandom can finally calm down. Tired of seeing comparisons with OMG ATLA IS MUCH BETTER.

I just came from the GameFAQs message board, and I'm actually quite pleased how I haven't seen a single homophobic post in this thread.

Lesbo and queer have been thrown around which is basically the same thing in my book.

While I was not too happy with the ending overall, it makes me happy to hear and see that so far the response to it has been positive for the most part, both here and on other sites in regards to the pairing. I wonder what people will say when it airs on tv.

It aired on Nicktoons the same night it was released online.

I really hope that we get a comic spin-off for this series like we got for ATLA. I really want to see if the Earth Kingdom really will improve without a monarchy, and get closure for certain characters.

I believed it was already confirmed by Bryke that comics will come, but who knows how long. Another ATLA trilogy is coming next year.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The problem with Korra is the supporting cast had too many throwaway or useless characters. What was the point of Kai? The kid didn't even speak in the finale. Mako did practically nothing in Book 4 but babysit Prince Wu until the finale. Prince Wu himself was an awful character and a waste of screentime, but I understand they had to show us who the next leader of the Earth Kingdom was.

They just threw in too many characters and didn't get to develop them all. Asami barely got any focus throughout the whole show, there's dozens of episodes she doesn't even appear in or only gets very small scenes.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Yes. Lmao.

Honestly I think you're just biased. Makorra were a predictable trope and took up too much screen time with their angsty antics back when they were a thing. They broke up three years ago in-universe and I really can't see how you can objectively say that they had more romantic development than Korrasami did, especially since the start of book 3 kind of made it clear that Korra was over him. Also, if you're going to write off any Korrasami interaction as moments of friendship then you don't really have any grounds to say that Makorra were being built up. You can be upset about your ship not being endgame if you want but don't try and write off Korrasami as being bad writing because of that.

I do agree that the last shot should have been of team avatar though. Would have been nice to get a final scene with them all together, although tbf they were never really presented as as much of a group as the gaang were (I don't think Bolin even spoke to Korra in the last episode lol).

Predictable, maybe, but better written than Korrasami. Kataang was also very predictable and I think it made sense and their relationship developed well throughout the 3 Books. That doesn't mean I would've liked it (development-wise) if Aang started kissing Sokka at the finale, because it would've been sudden and it would not have made much sense, since they both didn't express any romantic towards each other. And if you want my opinion, while I do think Korrasami got more, Sokka/Aang was close enough to Korrasami, development-wise.

I'm okay with Korrasami. I'm just mad because of how it turned out. It would've been amazing if Korra and Asami actually showed some interest for each other before the last two minutes. It was rushed.

And yes, I believe Makorra got more development than Korrasami. Honestly, what did these two really do to make a significant progress in their LOVE relationship before the big finale ? She complimented her hair, she brang her tea thinking she was cold... Yes, they did hang out with each other, but that clearly isn't the real way to make a love relationship bloom. Even taking a look back at Book 3 won't help you much; their interactions, while cute, were basic friends interactions, with the exception of a few (such as the one at the finale when Korra is in a wheel chair, that concerned look she gives Korra when she's "dying"...).

Now taking a look at Makorra, on the other hand; we clearly know that Mako still loves Korra. He supported her during the whole spirit vine attack case, he spent about half of an episode talking about how she changed his life for the better, that he looks up to her, that she is amazing. We see his worry while they look for Korra shortly after the spirit portal's creation. Why wasn't it Asami ? Clearly it would've been an easy way to see that Asami deeply cares about Korra. But they decided to give all these little pieces of episode to Mako, whose love for Korra is still burning, and it was shown. That passionate hug in Book 3 ? Asami didn't get that. She totally could've. Mako showed so much worry for Korra in Book 3, too, starting from where he knew the Red Lotus was after her. That, too, should be considered. Finally there was his last speech to Korra before the episode ended. This conversation, while small and supposedly "irrelevant" because Korra would hook up with Asami 2 minutes later, was touching and deep. "I'll follow you into battle, no matter how crazy things get. I've got your back, and I always will": he's just SAYING to her that even if she's not with him, he'll always love her (well well, that surely does sound familiar) and that he'll assist her whenever she needs it. Just think about how precious these two lines were. The look she gives him back just shows you that.

Why would they even bother to bring up Mako and Korra's relationship that much in Book 4 if they knew it wasn't going to be endgame ? Mako was almost a non-existant character in Book 4. Why would they give him these feelings towards Korra to make him appear as an important character if "they grew apart and got over their love for each other" ?

I don't think I am biased. It's just bad writing. I might be sad because my favorite ship wasn't endgame, but know that I am a Korrasami shipper too, and I saw a lot of potential for those two. It just didn't cut out to be a romantic relationship. I was disapointed. If there was no way in hell I was predicting a Korrasami ending at the very end, then maybe there was a something wrong somewhere. And then Bryan goes and tell us we've been "watching the show with hetero lens" this entire time. He can't blame us to see Korra with Mako more than Asami if her interactions with Mako are much deeper than with Asami. I was offended. He almost treated us like homophobes, simply to avoid the fact that the Korrasami writing wasn't good enough.

The queer reprensentation is great. I honestly am very happy that they thought about doing this. Yet the reprensentation is weak; I wanted more coming from them. That's why I'm mad, and nothing else. That's why I wanted Korra to be single or with Mako in the end, with that kind of writing, because now I'm stuck with this bitter feeling about the finale for my entire life.

Last edited:

HM02gon

Waiting...
Saying ATLA was better than LOK in everything is the equivalent of being a genwunner.

Chris-kun

i still believe
Now taking a look at Makorra, on the other hand; we clearly know that Mako still loves Korra. He supported her during the whole spirit vine attack case, he spent about half of an episode talking about how she changed his life for the better, that he looks up to her, that she is amazing. We see his worry while they look for Korra shortly after the spirit portal's creation. Why wasn't it Asami ? Clearly it would've been an easy way to see that Asami deeply cares about Korra. But they decided to give all these little pieces of episode to Mako, whose love for Korra is still burning, and it was shown. That passionate hug in Book 3 ? Asami didn't get that. She totally could've. Mako showed so much worry for Korra in Book 3, too, starting from where he knew the Red Lotus was after her. That, too, should be considered. Finally there was his last speech to Korra before the episode ended. This conversation, while small and supposedly "irrelevant" because Korra would hook up with Asami 2 minutes later, was touching and deep. "I'll follow you into battle, no matter how crazy things get. I've got your back, and I always will": he's just SAYING to her that even if she's not with him, he'll always love her (well well, that surely does sound familiar) and that he'll assist her whenever she needs it. Just think about how precious these two lines were. The look she gives him back just shows you that.

Why would they even bother to bring up Mako and Korra's relationship that much in Book 4 if they knew it wasn't going to be endgame ? Mako was almost a non-existant character in Book 4. Why would they give him these feelings towards Korra to make him appear as an important character if "they grew apart and got over their love for each other" .

To play devils advocate if those scenes HAD been Asami instead of Mako they would have been percieved as Friendship, just like any and every other scene they had. Just as if these scenes had been framed about two men, they would only be a small base of yaoi fangirls thnking it was romantic and NO ONE else. Because Mako and Korra are a man and a woman, these MUST be romantic, that's a culturally imposed view point not a logical one. It basically implies Mako has to be in love with Korra to worry over her in the spirit vines, or looking up to her simply because she's a woman, and because she's a woman none of these things can be platonic. Despite both Korra and Mako admitting to each other they didn't work as a couple VERY clearly and overtly in Book 2.

Contrary to popular belief, a man and a woman can be platonic, even if they once had romantic feelings. And none of the things you described are overtly romantic, they could very EASILY be read as platonic.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
To play devils advocate if those scenes HAD been Asami instead of Mako they would have been percieved as Friendship, just like any and every other scene they had. Just as if these scenes had been framed about two men, they would only be a small base of yaoi fangirls thnking it was romantic and NO ONE else. Because Mako and Korra are a man and a woman, these MUST be romantic, that's a culturally imposed view point not a logical one. It basically implies Mako has to be in love with Korra to worry over her in the spirit vines, or looking up to her simply because she's a woman, and because she's a woman none of these things can be platonic. Despite both Korra and Mako admitting to each other they didn't work as a couple VERY clearly and overtly in Book 2.

Contrary to popular belief, a man and a woman can be platonic, even if they once had romantic feelings. And none of the things you described are overtly romantic, they could very EASILY be read as platonic.

That is true. But honestly, seeing all of these little things coming from Asami would still have a been a step forward. While I still think Mako and Korra love each other (without the need of being a couple), it is entirely possible that these moments were also friendship oriented, but that still doesn't excuse how poor the romantic development of Korrasami was. If we take Makorra from Book 1, for example, we can absolutely say without a doubt that Mako and Korra had an attraction for one another (if we, of course, discount the finale where they admit it). Why couldn't we see that type of... interaction between the two girls in Book 3 or Book 4 ? When someone is in love with someone else, we can say through its actions that this person is in love with that other person. That's what I saw in Mako's action, and not Asami, unfortunately...

I don't think if Asami said "I'm here for you", received Korra's hug at Book 3's finale, talked about how Korra changed her life in Remembrances, shown all this worry in Book 3 and 4, made that worried look as Korra was entering Zaheer's cell, we would've perceived it as friendship. Well I can say I would've started to see something bloom between those two that isn't simply friendship. That's what I think was lacking. I wish we had gotten these scenes for Asami instead, knowing how the show ends. It would've been incredible.

Last edited:

colomb

LoK was originally supposed to be a single season; hence why the conflict with Amon resolved in a single series. The show ended up having each villain represent the extremes of different political ideologies: Amon represented communism; Unalaq represented theocracy; Zaheer represented anarchism; and Kuvira represented fascism. Others include: Varrick represented capitalism, the Earth Queen represented monarchism, and Tarrlok represented oligarchism. Aang's story happened during a time of war, while Korra's became a sociopolitical commentary during an era of relative peacetime.

I'm pretty sure they said in an interview that Nick wanted a different villain for every season or something like that.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Whatever it was, it was another case of Nick sticking their thumb in the writers pie, dicking them over once again. It's amazing the show was able to reach a finale considering the **** they had to overcome in making the show. In an ideal world, Korra would have been given 4 seasons with complete funding so they don't have to resort to clip shows in order to keep people on staff, complete creative control on the story and characters so they aren't shuffling villains every season and being able to write a better Korra/Asami relationship without fear of getting pulled or shut down completely (The least they could have said was "Hey, we're cool with you guys writing them as a couple from the beginning. Just no kissing is all. Don't want S&P breathing down our necks is all. ").

But unfortunately that wasn't the case and they were forced to make due with what they could. Nothing worse for a creative mind than executive meddling.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
What's with this whole debate about Korra's villain changing every season ? I honestly thought this was way better than having Ozai the entire time... It opens a lot of doors to opportunities and originality... Ozai was so cliché, too.
I didn't know people actually dislike having multiple villains...

Lorde

What's with this whole debate about Korra's villain changing every season ? I honestly thought this was way better than having Ozai the entire time... It opens a lot of doors to opportunities and originality... Ozai was so cliché, too.

At least Ozai had lots of hype and build up; he was always going to be Aang's final opponent at the end of the series whereas Korra kept getting new villains to fight against that weren't as fleshed out imo.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
To be honest, LOK had different villains. Ozai was treated as the final hurdle that didn't appear as often as Azula.

At least Ozai had lots of hype and build up; he was always going to be Aang's final opponent at the end of the series whereas Korra kept getting new villains to fight against that weren't as fleshed out imo.

Yeah, but still, let's not forget that this entire time the Gaang had to deal with the same Fire Nation troups. Became boring after time. Though I have to admit, ATLA's villains spread was pretty neat. There was this guy, Ozai, who was the biggest threat, and there were the others below; Azula, Hama, Zhao, the Yuyan Archers, Long Feng, the Dai Li...

Still, I think I prefered Korra's villain spread as four main villains who take the shining spot instead. The amount of episodes they have is limited, yet I must they are most of the time at their full potential in every of it, and I liked it that way.

book 1
we had zuko as the primary villian than we had zhao as the secondary villian

book 2
we had zuko and azula as the primary villians than we had the dai li, long feng, mai, and ty lee as secondary villians

book 3
we had azula and ozai as the primary villain than we had combustion man as the secondary villian
we had 9 villians in total 10 if u count jet in ATLA and they werent all fire nation and still received spotlight and spread out

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
book 1
we had zuko as the primary villian than we had zhao as the secondary villian

book 2
we had zuko and azula as the primary villians than we had the dai li, long feng, mai, and ty lee as secondary villians

book 3
we had azula and ozai as the primary villain than we had combustion man as the secondary villian
we had 9 villians in total 10 if u count jet in ATLA and they werent all fire nation and still received spotlight and spread out

I know in book 2 he ended up going back to being a villain at the final, but I always considered Zuko a Anti-Hero in Book 2. He barely ran into Aang and friends during that one. But yeah, this list is pretty accurate. Book 1 Zuko and Zhao were the main villains. Azula pretty much became the main villains for Book 2 and 3, until Ozai finally starts to make appearances in Book 3. As well as all the secondary villains you names that appeared.

Lorde

Is any else here fond of the series in general but can't give two s**ts about any of the pairings people are fighting about.(korrasami,Makaorra). I like the series for its chars and story not the pairings.

I don't care for the pairings either; very few of the characters were dynamic enough to make good couples anyway in my view. Varrick and Zhu Li being the few exceptions.