• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I was thinking about this.

A lot of people have came to the idea that trying to use Solgaleo and Lunala could create eternal day or eternal night.

I would almost like to expand on that idea.

Night and day are created by the world's rotation. It is day time facing the sun, and it is night time away from the sun.

What if disturbing either of them would impair the rotation, causing a surface too hot and a surface too cold. This is similar to how Mercury has a shorter year than day, causing two distinct temperatures.

Then, we might have potential land mass destruction, etc.

I don't think it would go to far to be that dark (no pun intended), but Kyogre/Groudon didn't cause that much trouble in their timeframe off being out and reckless.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
What might be a roaming legendary this time around? Something new, or like X and Y, something old?

Some of the "Island Guardian" pokemon speculated might be roaming, Tapu Koko's description appears to have it linked to the players progression- but other island guardians may have different appearances and catch methods.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
There are also effects if the celestial objects disappear.

The Sun vanishing would stop photosynthesis, and there is no other provided sources of energy, including light and heat.
The moon vanishing is more consequential than people give it credit for. If it vanished, the tides would stop without ocean life, the Earth would be prone to be hit by more meteors, and the days become a lot shorter.

Luthor

Surely it's time for a poison type legendary or mythical pokemon. It's the only type not to get one yet and with all the fairy types around the game could do with something for some balance.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Ok, eternal day or eternal night caused by the Earth stopping its rotation would mark the instantaneous end of the world. The Earth rotates at a Speed of 1,040 mph, meaning that, should it stop, everything would be sent flying with a force of 7.456 x 10^30 Newtons. That is equivalent to 10^22 x the force of a freight train, and about 50% more force than the largest nuclear bomb ever detonated, hitting everywhere on Earth simultaneously.

Mudster

Master of the Legend
Surely it's time for a poison type legendary or mythical pokemon. It's the only type not to get one yet and with all the fairy types around the game could do with something for some balance.

Marshadow to be Psychic/Poison typing perhaps? I think it is a unique type combination. I wouldn't mind seeing it. Give it some renamed version of Levitate to remove the ground weakness and I think that'd be pretty cool.

Luthor

I'd be ok with that but the shadow part of that name makes me think it'll be a Psychic/Dark. I like your idea though as it would be an interesting addition.

Mudster

Master of the Legend
I'd be ok with that but the shadow part of that name makes me think it'll be a Psychic/Dark. I like your idea though as it would be an interesting addition.

I think Solgaleo and Lunala's typing already have shown that the names and looks aren't the give away for the types. At first glance, many thought Fire typing would be in there for Solgaleo, and Fairy or Flying for Lunala. I certainly wouldn't have guessed the typings on first glance.

BlitzGirl41

I think Solgaleo and Lunala's typing already have shown that the names and looks aren't the give away for the types. At first glance, many thought Fire typing would be in there for Solgaleo, and Fairy or Flying for Lunala. I certainly wouldn't have guessed the typings on first glance.
I'm actually not happy about the deceptive typing. I mean, what does being Steel and Psychic have to do with the Sun? At least Lunala's typing makes more sense, though I am getting tired of this overabundance of Psychic Legendaries - we need something fresh, or more simple! (Though of course, I still love Lugia since it was one of the first Psychic Legendaries after Mewtwo.) Solgaleo really should have at least been Fire/Psychic, or Fire/Steel, but there's nothing that can be done about that since what's done is done.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm actually not happy about the deceptive typing. I mean, what does being Steel and Psychic have to do with the Sun? At least Lunala's typing makes more sense, though I am getting tired of this overabundance of Psychic Legendaries - we need something fresh, or more simple! (Though of course, I still love Lugia since it was one of the first Psychic Legendaries after Mewtwo.) Solgaleo really should have at least been Fire/Psychic, or Fire/Steel, but there's nothing that can be done about that since what's done is done.
The Psychic typing comes from the fact that Psychic kind of equals cosmic. Steel comes from the fact that Solgaleo may be based on an alchemy symbol, something about a metal lion eating the Sun.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Solgaleo's Typing making perfect sense when you consider that its focus isn't on the Sun's heat, but its light. Here's a quote from the official site:

"Solgaleo's body holds a vast amount of energy, and it shines with light when it's active."

Light actually fits Steel to a "t". You see, if you think about it, Steel is, in many ways, the un-official "Light-Type"". There are exactly 3 Special Steel moves (Hidden Power not included), and all of them have to do with light:

Mirror Shot: The user looses a flash of energy from its polished body. It may also lower the target's accuracy.
Flash Cannon: The user gathers all its light energy and releases it at once. It may also lower the foe's Sp. Def stat.
Doom Desire (FR/LG onward): Two turns after this move is used, the user blasts the foe with a concentrated bundle of light.

And with Doom Desire, it goes a step further if you look at its description from RSE:

Doom Desire: Summons strong sunlight to attack 2 turns later.

Solgaleo is meant to exemplify the light of the Sun, and this helps to explain its Steel/Psychic Typing (Especially with Psychic being a more cosmic Type, including Pokemon like Deoxys, Solrock, Lunatone, and the Elgyem line, as well as the move "Cosmic Power".)

There's also the alchemical connection, but I'm sure that's already been said to death on here :p

BlitzGirl41

The Psychic typing comes from the fact that Psychic kind of equals cosmic. Steel comes from the fact that Solgaleo may be based on an alchemy symbol, something about a metal lion eating the Sun.

Now I'm just going to think of Fullmetal Alchemist (the second series, not the original one that went off course). :p

However, I always think of Fire when I think of the sun, when it comes to mythological and fantasy types of stories. Heck, I am even working on my own story where the phoenix is worshiped as a god and is said to be born from the sun. So perhaps I'm just a bit biased, lol.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Solgaleo's Typing making perfect sense when you consider that its focus isn't on the Sun's heat, but its light. Here's a quote from the official site:

"Solgaleo's body holds a vast amount of energy, and it shines with light when it's active."

Light actually fits Steel to a "t". You see, if you think about it, Steel is, in many ways, the un-official "Light-Type"". There are exactly 3 Special Steel moves (Hidden Power not included), and all of them have to do with light:

Mirror Shot: The user looses a flash of energy from its polished body. It may also lower the target's accuracy.
Flash Cannon: The user gathers all its light energy and releases it at once. It may also lower the foe's Sp. Def stat.
Doom Desire (FR/LG onward): Two turns after this move is used, the user blasts the foe with a concentrated bundle of light.

And with Doom Desire, it goes a step further if you look at its description from RSE:

Doom Desire: Summons strong sunlight to attack 2 turns later.

Solgaleo is meant to exemplify the light of the Sun, and this helps to explain its Steel/Psychic Typing (Especially with Psychic being a more cosmic Type, including Pokemon like Deoxys, Solrock, Lunatone, and the Elgyem line, as well as the move "Cosmic Power".)

There's also the alchemical connection, but I'm sure that's already been said to death on here :p

Don't forget Luster Purge too.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

League

Master Abra Catcher
Don't forget Luster Purge too.
His argument was not that all light-related moves were exclusively Steel special moves, his argument was that all Steel special moves were exclusively light-related (i.e., all squares are rectangles, not vice versa). There are moves like Solarbeam and whatnot that are light-related.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
His argument was not that all light-related moves were exclusively Steel special moves, his argument was that all Steel special moves were exclusively light-related (i.e., all squares are rectangles, not vice versa). There are moves like Solarbeam and whatnot that are light-related.

Exactly, along with Aurora Beam, Dazzling Gleam, Flash, Confuse Ray, etc. But I've always found it interesting that all Special Steel moves are light-based.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Isn't Solgaleo Steel type because people back in the day thought the sun was a molten orb or iron?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Isn't Solgaleo Steel type because people back in the day thought the sun was a molten orb or iron?

There are lots of different attempts at explaining it. Personally I have yet to find an explanation that pleases me.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
There are lots of different attempts at explaining it. Personally I have yet to find an explanation that pleases me.

Not even that it is based on the purified Virdis Leo? Because that is pretty much spot on when it comes to explaining its Steel Typing.

And I don't know if it's been brought up here, but has anyone mentioned that Lunaala might be inspired by the Great Moon Hoax? If not, I'll happily explain my theory there.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I was surprised when Solgaleo turned out to be Psychic/Steel instead of Fire but it great all the same. I think the third member of the possible trio would be part Psychic at least. Possibly a post game for it since third version games have stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.