• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
I was surprised when Solgaleo turned out to be Psychic/Steel instead of Fire but it great all the same. I think the third member of the possible trio would be part Psychic at least. Possibly a post game for it since third version games have stopped.

ikr? I thought for sure it was going to be fire and steel. The design practically screamed it to me. And I feel like metagross and bronzor line is enough psychic/steel.

I also think it wouldv'e been cool if lunala was ghost/fairy.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Not even that it is based on the purified Virdis Leo? Because that is pretty much spot on when it comes to explaining its Steel Typing.

Is that the alchemy theory? If so, I think it gives a reason for why you might make a Steel-Type Sun lion, but it doesn't explain why Solgaleo itself is a Steel-Type. What I mean is that even after all this time, I can't begin to fathom my Solgaleo is a Steel-Type just by looking at its design. Even if they did draw inspiration from the alchemy theory (or any other theory for that matter), they still could have designed Solgaleo more with the Steel-Type in mind. That's where my problem with Solgaleo's type lies.

And I don't know if it's been brought up here, but has anyone mentioned that Lunaala might be inspired by the Great Moon Hoax? If not, I'll happily explain my theory there.

I have not heard that one. Do tell.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
There are lots of different attempts at explaining it. Personally I have yet to find an explanation that pleases me.

Well I think the main reason is that it's actually made of metal. The real question is why is it made of metal I guess.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Is that the alchemy theory? If so, I think it gives a reason for why you might make a Steel-Type Sun lion, but it doesn't explain why Solgaleo itself is a Steel-Type. What I mean is that even after all this time, I can't begin to fathom my Solgaleo is a Steel-Type just by looking at its design. Even if they did draw inspiration from the alchemy theory (or any other theory for that matter), they still could have designed Solgaleo more with the Steel-Type in mind. That's where my problem with Solgaleo's type lies.

I have not heard that one. Do tell.

To elaborate on the Virdis Leo, which is the alchemy thing, real quick, it is a lion that is typically green (hence the Virdis part). However, once it eats the sun, its body is purified (hence the white coloration), and it glows gold.

As for the Great Moon Hoax, back in 1835, a fake news story was published under the name Sir John Herschel (he was a respected astronomer at the time). However, Herschel did not write the story, it was just written using his name to give the entirely fictitious claim credibility.

The story told of how "Herschel" used a very advanced telescope to survey the surface of the Moon, we he found life. There were goats, bison, beavers without tails that walked on two legs, and the coup de gras, bat people. Keep in mind that this was published in an actual newspaper (funnily enough, the paper was named "The Sun").

Here's a depiction of one of these bat people. Notice any similarities to Lunaala (sans the beard and such)? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...eat-moon-hoax-new-inhabitants-of-the-moon.png

This inspiration would make sense, as both Solgaleo and Lunaala would have taken inspiration from claims derived from debunked psuedo-science.

ikr? I thought for sure it was going to be fire and steel. The design practically screamed it to me. And I feel like metagross and bronzor line is enough psychic/steel.

I also think it wouldv'e been cool if lunala was ghost/fairy.

I like Solgaleo's Typing. It's the same as Jirachi's, which makes sense, seeing as they're both space affiliated Legendaries whose signature moves involve harnessing the power of the Sun :)

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well I think the main reason is that it's actually made of metal. The real question is why is it made of metal I guess.

Well, yeah, it makes sense to assume that if it's a Steel-Type that it's made out of metal. It's just that it doesn't look like it's made out of metal. That's what's still bugging me.

To elaborate on the Virdis Leo, which is the alchemy thing, real quick, it is a lion that is typically green (hence the Virdis part). However, once it eats the sun, its body is purified (hence the white coloration), and it glows gold.

As for the Great Moon Hoax, back in 1835, a fake news story was published under the name Sir John Herschel (he was a respected astronomer at the time). However, Herschel did not write the story, it was just written using his name to give the entirely fictitious claim credibility.

The story told of how "Herschel" used a very advanced telescope to survey the surface of the Moon, we he found life. There were goats, bison, beavers without tails that walked on two legs, and the coup de gras, bat people. Keep in mind that this was published in an actual newspaper (funnily enough, the paper was named "The Sun").

Here's a depiction of one of these bat people. Notice any similarities to Lunaala (sans the beard and such)? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...eat-moon-hoax-new-inhabitants-of-the-moon.png

This inspiration would make sense, as both Solgaleo and Lunaala would have taken inspiration from claims derived from debunked psuedo-science.

Interesting. I'm a total space and astronomy geek who spends a lot of time looking into stories like that, and yet I have never once heard it.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Well, yeah, it makes sense to assume that if it's a Steel-Type that it's made out of metal. It's just that it doesn't look like it's made out of metal. That's what's still bugging me.

Interesting. I'm a total space and astronomy geek who spends a lot of time looking into stories like that, and yet I have never once heard it.

It's an obscure one, but the design totally fits. Way to go GF, pulling out the weird, little-known stuff!

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!

Well besides the mane, it doesn't have any fur. The rest of the body is just smooth. So it's not too hard to imagine that the white body is some sort of pure metal, the paws and belly are a heavy iron, and the claws and other parts are gold. Has some copper in there too.

PS: And it's mouth looks like a furnace with molten metal in it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well besides the mane, it doesn't have any fur. The rest of the body is just smooth. So it's not too hard to imagine that the white body is some sort of pure metal, the paws and belly are a heavy iron, and the claws and other parts are gold. Has some copper in there too.

PS: And it's mouth looks like a furnace with molten metal in it.

Eh...I'm not going to say that what you're saying isn't there, but I'm not sure it's enough. Most Pokemon don't have fur designed on them anyways and have smooth surfaces due to that, so that doesn't automatically make it made of metal. What you're suggesting requires you to go out of your way to imagine it in a certain light.

goodpeople25

Enh I'd say that alot of pokemon need you to to imagine them in a certain light in regards to types but we just don't notice for a number of reasons (colour scheme in particular I think they use a lot to the point that it sometimes backfires) , here I think speculation before hand and the thought of sun= fire overpowers some of the normal acceptance from knowing the type at the same time as the design and the colours scheme
(Or I'm tired and just throwing vauge thoughts I've had together. )

B. Thunder Tiger

Not every Steel type always looks like metal though, nor does it have to be. See Mawilie/Mega Mawile for example. Its a Steel/Fairy, and it sports nothing about having anything metallic about it in a obvious manner/way. Sure, its mentioned that its horn(s) are pure steel, but this could be organic steel/metal. In other words, Mawile still looks organic in appearance. Another example is Jirachi, a Psychic/Steel type, which too has nothing steel/metal like on its body. What I'm trying to say, is that metals don't always have to be obvious, and can be interpreted as organic too. After all, all people/humans have metals inside them as well, as minerals. Technically you could call every human on Earth a Steel-type too, but they don't look like steel puppets or robots/knights, etc to justify said typing.

If Solgaleo is imagined as a organic metallic lifeform, rather than being a literal thick armored robot lion, etc, its easier to swallow the idea its part Steel-type. That said, I don't know how everyone else still feels about my idea/theory that Solgaleo could be more based on the Nemean Lion. I still think its a viable theory as it also still connects with the Alchemy theory too. I just find the whole "Green Lion That Devours The Sun" too vague to be used as its sole inspiration alone, whereas the Nemean Lion is a bit more familiar with people.

Last edited:

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Eh...I'm not going to say that what you're saying isn't there, but I'm not sure it's enough. Most Pokemon don't have fur designed on them anyways and have smooth surfaces due to that, so that doesn't automatically make it made of metal. What you're suggesting requires you to go out of your way to imagine it in a certain light.

It's the best we can do atm until more of it's lore is revealed.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Not every Steel type always looks like metal though, nor does it have to be. See Mawilie/Mega Mawile for example. Its a Steel/Fairy, and it sports nothing about having anything metallic about it in a obvious manner/way. Sure, its mentioned that its horn(s) are pure steel, but this could be organic steel/metal. In other words, Mawile still looks organic in appearance. Another example is Jirachi, a Psychic/Steel type, which too has nothing steel/metal like on its body. What I'm trying to say, is that metals don't always have to be obvious, and can be interpreted as organic too. After all, all people/humans have metals inside them as well, as minerals. Technically you could call every human on Earth a Steel-type too, but they don't look like steel puppets or robots/knights, etc to justify said typing.

You're right, there are other Steel-Type in the same design class of Solgaleo. I think my complaint about Solgaleo comes more from a combination factors rather than just one. A big part of my problem admittedly comes from the fact that they didn't give us the types right away, so the many, including I, assumed that it would be a Fire-Type. Because of that period I'm still stuck in the mindset that Fire makes more sense than Steel. On top of that, as a Legendary Cover Pokemon, I expect more out of the design than Pokemon along the lines of Mawile and Jirachi. I admit I'm being a little petty here, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to fully accept Solgaleo as a Steel-Type.

BlitzGirl41

You're right, there are other Steel-Type in the same design class of Solgaleo. I think my complaint about Solgaleo comes more from a combination factors rather than just one. A big part of my problem admittedly comes from the fact that they didn't give us the types right away, so the many, including I, assumed that it would be a Fire-Type. Because of that period I'm still stuck in the mindset that Fire makes more sense than Steel. On top of that, as a Legendary Cover Pokemon, I expect more out of the design than Pokemon along the lines of Mawile and Jirachi. I admit I'm being a little petty here, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to fully accept Solgaleo as a Steel-Type.

I completely agree with you. If anything, I wish it could be Fire/Steel instead of Psychic. Or even Psychic/Fire, which I don't know if it's been done yet before. Sadly, as much as Solgaleo and Lunala look interesting from a design standpoint, chances are that, regardless of what version I buy, I will never feel compelled to use them in my team. Their typing just isn't useful for me and my playstyle. The last time I ever willingly used a Legendary in my team was Lugia because its typing was incredibly useful, and it replaced whatever Flying type I was using before catching it. But ever since then...most Legendaries feel absolutely useless from a practical standpoint. Just catch them and let them rot in the PC box forever... :(

I wonder if Zygarde will be part of the main story or will be part of the post game? It seems that Lillie may have a Zygarde cell in her bag, so perhaps it comes to play in post game?
I wouldn't be surprised, but that doesn't mean I would approve of it. After all, Zygarde appears to have nothing to do with Alola, so I don't see the connection.

Last edited:

shadowF

I wonder if Zygarde will be part of the main story or will be part of the post game? It seems that Lillie may have a Zygarde cell in her bag, so perhaps it comes to play in post game?

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan

Post game is more likely. The story would be for the mascots in my opinion.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
I wouldn't be surprised, but that doesn't mean I would approve of it. After all, Zygarde appears to have nothing to do with Alola, so I don't see the connection.

The only connection I can see right now is maybe something to do with Z-moves, since 'Core Enforcer' almost appears to be a special Z-Move (beyond the obvious Z shape it makes)

R_N

The only connection I can see right now is maybe something to do with Z-moves, since 'Core Enforcer' almost appears to be a special Z-Move (beyond the obvious Z shape it makes)

Core Enforcer is just a move, not a z move.

BlitzGirl41

Even so, Zygarde's supposed Norse-inspired Formes don't scream "Alola region" to me, so I don't see how this so-called "Legendary" is related to an Alola region gimmick.

I'm not attacking anyone here, I just really, really dislike Zygarde and any other "Legendary" that a) doesn't look like a Pokemon to me (usually any Legendary/mythical Pokemon that looks like a robot/android) and b) does not fit with the region. Zygarde should have been an X/Y-only thing (due to being XYZ).

R_N

I've joked about it before, but I bet
1. There was probably a Z in some form of early development at some point
2. That the scrapped Z stuff will just be haphazardly shoved into SM

It's especially great for Zygarde because his pokedex entries specify him as monitoring Kalos' environment
When the Kalos region's ecosystem falls into disarray, it appears and reveals its secret power.

I fully expect some cutscenes to happen that would be more at home in Kalos to happen and for Kalos-important characters to just so happen to show up but only for the pivotal zygarde climax. Bonus points if characters include random one offs like Sycamore's assistants or any of the friends from XY, who would definitely have no reason to be here.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
The island to the far west - the one that doesn't seem to have any major settlements on it - features both a pedestal (atop which to face the box legend) and a Yggdrasil (which likely has something to do Zygarde).

My guess is the player will reach that island last, and resolve the plots of both legendaries there.

I've joked about it before, but I bet
1. There was probably a Z in some form of early development at some point
2. That the scrapped Z stuff will just be haphazardly shoved into SM

It's especially great for Zygarde because his pokedex entries specify him as monitoring Kalos' environment

I'm still unsure why they would've scrapped it and gone with a new generation, given that NX launches in March. There's no way they drag out Gen VII across the 3DS's bloated, festering corpse, right? Right?

I fully expect some cutscenes to happen that would be more at home in Kalos to happen and for Kalos-important characters to just so happen to show up but only for the pivotal zygarde climax. Bonus points if characters include random one offs like Sycamore's assistants or any of the friends from XY, who would definitely have no reason to be here.

C'mon, try to have some faith in Game Freak.

I'm sure it'll all be explained by Kalos and Alola actually having a secret longstanding mythological connection to each other, just like Kalos always had with Hoenn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.