• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
This.
Though, it'll probably be an event if there aren't any side legendaries introduced outside of the main trio again
Sun and Moon don't sound like something that'd be Poison.

I've been hoping for a Poison type legend as a mascot for a while, and I think I thought of something interesting. I was wondering about Sun and Moon being a new gen still closely connected to Kalos, and what Game Freak could be planning next. What if they reveal the next set of games after Sun and Moon to feature Zygarde complete and 7th gen's third mascot legendary as a pair? Since Zygarde represents order, the other legend could be based off of chaos, and Poison might be fitting for it. Basically just something I thought about and how Zygarde could be left out purposely in order to be featured in the next games after Sun and Moon.

Tiptop

Saved by Hamboning
I have a feeling that the symbols in the logos are the eyes of the legendary Pokémon. To me, the sun one looks a bit fierce and like a cross hairs, while the moon looks to be a cuter eye with some glare on it. They both also look similar to an eclipse event, perhaps hinting at the celestial nature of the Pokémon and story.

Following ORAS, I have my doubts about fire and water legends considering the similarity to Groudon and Kyogre, but I could definitely be wrong. For the moon it would be rad to see a rabbit legend ala Japanese folklore, but for the sun, I'm at a loss for ideas.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Sun game mascot can be Fire consider that the sun provides heat. Moon game mascot can be Dark, Fairy or Rock? A poison type legendary would be nice. Another Dragon would be great.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Would love a dinosaur-inspired legendary. No its not dragon.

I figure that if we get any more dino pokemon, they'd likely be fossil pokemon and not legendaries in my opinion. If these games have Aztec influences like some people predict, then I expect a few legendary pokemon based on Aztec gods like Quetzalcoatl instead.

Shraeder

It's Lit
If there are mascot legendaries, my prediction will be Fire/Dragon and Ice/Fairy or Rock/Fairy. For the Pokemon Sun mascot I chose Fire/Dragon because I've always liked the idea of a serpentine dragon that dwelled on the sun. A cool signature move idea would be Solar Flare(yes I thought of this a while ago lol).

For the mascot of Pokemon Moon I would like to see an Ice/Fairy wolf-like Pokemon. I thought of this earlier as I was looking around and saw that wolves are commonly associated with the moon in mythology. I think it would be Fairy type since moves like Moonblast and Moonlight are Fairy, and Ice is purely because I think it'd be more interesting than another Rock/Fairy

Edit: Also water could be an interesting type for the Pokemon Moon. I'm thinking Fairy is the most likely for one of its types if it is dual-typed and Fire would be the most likely for the Pokemon Sun mascot.

Last edited:

knightwolf09

GaijinGoomba came up with a theory that the new legendaries might be based off of Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi, a sun goddess and moon god in Japanese mythology. If he’s right about the Japanese mythology theory, I think I already came up with the animals the legendaries might be. For Sun it would be a rooster as in japan they are mostly associated with Amaterasu, cause his crowing made her come out of a cave she was hiding in, as I suppose it's symbolism for the sun rising, which is when a rooster crows. As for Moon I think it would be a rabbit, because of the moon rabbit, a creature in many culture's folklore including japanese who is said to live on the moon. There's even a fairytale about it known as The Rabbit in the Moon. They would be rare legendaries if that were the case.

ArtFenix

Ever since Deoxys and Rayquaza I wanted more space lore and Pokemon. And I love dragons (not just in Pokemon, dragons in general), so some space-themed dragons would be awesome! They don't have to be dragons though, if their designs are amazing. Like Yveltal. I love its design but it's not a dragon.

Faster

I know in some lines of Chinese/Japanese mysticism the Sun is associated with the elements of fire and air (fire and flying) and the Moon is associated with water and earth (water and ground/rock).

Also if you are looking at mythology there is Artemis and Apollo. They took over the roles of Helios and Selene in the later Classical period. Apollo is associated with dolphins, cows (red cows) and wolves, while Artemis is associated with hunting dogs and deer.

There is also the Scottish Fairy folklore. You have the seelie and unseelie. Seelie is associated with twilight, while the unseelie are associated with darkness and moonlight. This could lead into the Sun mascot being Fairy based on a seelie fairy, and the Moon mascot being Fairy/Dark and based on an unseelie fairy.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I would like for the "Sun" legendary to be a Fire/Ghost type.

Why? Because the sun is hot so that warrants it being a fire type.

The sun is mostly made up of plasma.

Ectoplasma is that slimy residue ghosts leave behind.

Ectoplasma has the word plasma in it.

I know it's a stretch but Game Freak are always very clever with the names they give to Pokemon and the names are usually an amalgamation of a few words cleverly put together.

Last edited:

Aetius

Well, legendaries based on the sun and the moon are a given, but I don't really know what kind of typing could they have other than the already mentioned ones. XD
Maybe make one a Fire/Electric Pokèmon and the other a Water/Ground one.
I don't know, just sayin': :D

phanpycross

God-king
Fairies already have a pretty large connection to the moon, so I wouldnt be surprised if it turned to be Cover legendary.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
I just hope they don't include too many legendaries and not a legendary gallore like DPPt was.
A trio like the 3 birds, dogs etc, the 2 box legendaries the 3rd instalment of the box legendaries (like Zygarde) and the 600 base power one (Magearna)

jake279

Ice Master
I speculate the moon Legendary will be Dark/Fairy and the Sun Legendary will be Fire/Steel

I definitely think the moon legendary will be dark/fairy or dark/rock too. As in "dark side of the moon". Neither type combos have been done before I don't think.

The Sun legendary will definitely be part fire type, it's secondary type can be one of many choices, though I'd prefer a combo that has never been done before.
It could be fire/fairy or fire/dragon in that case.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I just hope they don't include too many legendaries and not a legendary gallore like DPPt was.
A trio like the 3 birds, dogs etc, the 2 box legendaries the 3rd instalment of the box legendaries (like Zygarde) and the 600 base power one (Magearna)

That's the perfect amount of legendaries for one region imo, similar to Gold and Silver. I wish there was another trio for XY but with only the mascot legends, Zygarde and 3 event Pokemon it just doesn't feel right to me.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I'm just going to bust your bubble straight up, but we need to have a vast amount of Mythicals. We can't just recycle old Mythicals, just like we can do with trio legendaries, the annual movie marketing cycle would not allow for that.

We all should expect at least three Mythicals including Magearna for a two year generation, and four Mythicals including Magearna for a three year generation, much like BW.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I'm just going to bust your bubble straight up, but we need to have a vast amount of Mythicals. We can't just recycle old Mythicals, just like we can do with trio legendaries, the annual movie marketing cycle would not allow for that.

We all should expect at least three Mythicals including Magearna for a two year generation, and four Mythicals including Magearna for a three year generation, much like BW.

A few more mythicals is one thing I'm cool with, but Unova and Sinnoh just went overboard with the in-game legndaries.

Thunderfox

I know most people are somewhat tired of dragon Legendarys, even I am to an extent. But I'd love to see a Queztalcoatl-esque mascot for Pokemon Sun, especially if the new region is based on South America/Mexico.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I know most people are somewhat tired of dragon Legendarys, even I am to an extent. But I'd love to see a Queztalcoatl-esque mascot for Pokemon Sun, especially if the new region is based on South America/Mexico.

I believe we have that in Rayquaza.

Status
Not open for further replies.