• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
I had a discussion about this with a friend the other day, and we thought that it would be interesting to have Sun's legendary based on Amaterasu. And Moon's legendary being a more humanoid Pokemon (as there has yet to be a humanoid Box Legendary to date, from memory) based upon Susano-o, perhaps carrying a large sword-like object.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I had a discussion about this with a friend the other day, and we thought that it would be interesting to have Sun's legendary based on Amaterasu. And Moon's legendary being a more humanoid Pokemon (as there has yet to be a humanoid Box Legendary to date, from memory) based upon Susano-o, perhaps carrying a large sword-like object.

That would be pretty interesting considering that the Strange Souvenir resembles a human face, and it would likely refer to this new region.

I really wished that the mascot legendaries would be revealed yesterday. I'm hoping that the moon legend will be more purple instead of blue

Firebrand

Indomitable
GaijinGoomba came up with a theory that the new legendaries might be based off of Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi, a sun goddess and moon god in Japanese mythology. If he’s right about the Japanese mythology theory, I think I already came up with the animals the legendaries might be. For Sun it would be a rooster as in japan they are mostly associated with Amaterasu, cause his crowing made her come out of a cave she was hiding in, as I suppose it's symbolism for the sun rising, which is when a rooster crows. As for Moon I think it would be a rabbit, because of the moon rabbit, a creature in many culture's folklore including japanese who is said to live on the moon. There's even a fairytale about it known as The Rabbit in the Moon. They would be rare legendaries if that were the case.

We kind of already had that in Lugia and Ho-oh though.

It doesn't have feathers and it is based on Jewish mythology.

Loosely. Very loosely. Groudon and Kyogre were pretty explicitly based on Behemoth and Leviathan, respectively. But Rayquaza has almost nothing in common with Ziz aside from the fact that they are associated with the sky. Honestly, if Rayquaza did have feathers it would be a closer parallel. No, I think Rayqyaza was just based on the fact that it would be really freakin' cool to have a giant dragon that lives in the sky.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
We kind of already had that in Lugia and Ho-oh though.

Loosely. Very loosely. Groudon and Kyogre were pretty explicitly based on Behemoth and Leviathan, respectively. But Rayquaza has almost nothing in common with Ziz aside from the fact that they are associated with the sky. Honestly, if Rayquaza did have feathers it would be a closer parallel. No, I think Rayqyaza was just based on the fact that it would be really freakin' cool to have a giant dragon that lives in the sky.

They are all loosely based on them design wise.

Groudon is clearly not a bull/cow and Kyogre is a whale not a fish.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

More specifically, Green Dragon was one of the original Mirage Monsters, predecessors to the idea of Mythical Pokémon.

Niormon

Hello everyone I'm kinda new user and like everyone I love pokemon since red :) and always wanted to talk to people about anything pokemon
I not good at intros so sorry :(

on topic I'm kinda shocked No one brought up a wolf or a lion since I think they might do that ( at least that what I think )

CaptainSkarr

Lovely Bay
It would be refreshing if there were no legendaries, but that's only a wish.

Hello everyone I'm kinda new user and like everyone I love pokemon since red :) and always wanted to talk to people about anything pokemon
I not good at intros so sorry :(

on topic I'm kinda shocked No one brought up a wolf or a lion since I think they might do that ( at least that what I think )

Wolves was one of the first things that went around. Assuming it could link in with Norse mythology first introduced in XY, and the names of the games being Sun and Moon, it must be noted that there are both a Sun and Moon wolf in Norse mythology.

A lot of exposition coming up...
Skoll (pronounced roughly “SKOHL”; Old Norse Sköll, “One Who Mocks”) and Hati (pronounced “HAHT-ee”; Old Norse Hati, “One Who Hates”) are two wolves who are only mentioned in passing references that have to do with their pursuing Sol and Mani, the sun and moon, through the sky in hopes of devouring them. At Ragnarok, the downfall of the cosmos, they catch their prey as the sky and earth darken and collapse.

It’s not entirely clear which one of them pursues the sun and which pursues the moon. The medieval Icelandic historian Snorri Sturluson, whose works are typically taken at face value in low-quality introductory books on Norse mythology, claims that Skoll chases the sun and Hati the moon.[1] However, Snorri’s source in this passage, the Eddic poem Grímnismál, says the following in the relevant stanza:

Skoll is the name of the wolf
Who follows the shining priest
Into the desolate forest,
And the other is Hati,
Hróðvitnir’s son,
Who chases the bright bride of the sky.[2]

The noun used for Skoll’s prey, goði (“priest”), is masculine, and the noun used for Hati’s prey, brúðr (“bride”) is feminine. Since Mani (the moon) is male, and Sol (the sun) is female, the wording of this stanza strongly suggests that Skoll hunts the moon and Hati the sun.

This same stanza names the father of Hati (and surely, by extension, Skoll as well) as Hróðvitnir. Since another poem in the Poetic Edda, the Lokasenna, uses the essentially identical word Hróðrsvitnir (“Famous Wolf”[3]) as a byname for Fenrir,[4], the arch-wolf, it would seem that Fenrir is their father. This interpretation finds additional support in another Eddic poem, the Völuspá, which states that the children of Fenrir swallow the sun during Ragnarok.[5]

Ultimately, however, proposing a definitive genealogical relationship between Fenrir, Skoll, and Hati is futile. The sources themselves give contradictory interpretations, which reflects the lack of systematization or codification in the Norse religion back when it was a living tradition. As with so many other aspects of Norse mythology and religion, any single, tidy interpretation we might try to foist upon the material today in the interest of resolving its many contradictions is a modern, artificial imposition.

I love Dragon types, but we've received part Dragon type Legendaries from Gen III up until Gen VI. The only legendary dragon I'd yet like to see is a Poison Dragon based on a Leviathan.

Serene Havoc

Steel dragon for Moon version.
Fire Fairy for Sun version

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I would love to see the mascots as dual types so that one of their types can counter each other. Therefore they would be both super effective against each other. Or they can have types that are neutral to each other. I wouldn't mind another Dragon/Steel legendary or just a Dragon legendary.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
I have no speculation on the typings for the two potential new title legendaries. But due to the still unreleased forms of Zygarde and no true storyline in-game for it. I think Zygarde may actually have an expanded role in these games.

Two things might be hints to this, firstly is the design for Perfect Zygarde which has been pointed out before- within it's chest are four 'cores'. The outermost cores match the blue and red colours of Xerneas and Yveltal, whilst the inner two appear orange and light blue. Which are similar if not matching to the Sun and Moon logos. This can easily be seen on the Pokemon XYZ anime poster, just above the Anistar sundial- which might be another hint towards the upcoming games.

The second idea for this connection lies in Zygarde's unreleased moves, and their particular naming. Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. As has already been discussed in the general speculation thread. The Greek God Apollo is a particularly well known god of both the Sun and Archery. Depicted shooting invisible arrows. His counterpart and twin sister in mythology is also Artemis, a god who represents the moon. The move Thousand Waves might be a referral to the resonance tidal effects of the moon, whilst Thousand Arrows of course could relate to the amplication and direction of the suns rays, couple this with Land's Wrath- and they could all be moves that each represent the Sun, Moon and Earth.

The Strange Souvenir depicts an image that seems much more Tiki rather than Greek or Roman- but it's not unreasonable to suggest that perhaps they've drawn from and merged multiple cultures and lore for the design of their legendary Pokemon this time around. If this game does go in the direction of an oceanic/Hawaiian setting, then an interesting character to take note of in Hawaiian Narrative is the ancient hero/chief Māui- who restrained the Sun and set the days in their length across seasons

So for the purpose of these potentially new Legendaries of this expected Generation 7. I would say that both legendary Pokemon are responsible for maintaining the distance and orbit of the Earth around the Sun and the Moon around the Earth respectively. And maintain the equilibrium that allows the Pokemon World(earth) to exist.
Pokemon mythos-wise this should mean they as ancient as Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza, if not a little bit older/recent.

TL/DR / Conclusion:
Given the clues on Zygarde's Perfect form design and it's hidden moves. Perhaps Zygarde is also linked to these "Sun and Moon" pokemon and is responisble for the balance of Earth whilst they maintain the Sun and Moon. Making it the mediator between two legendary trios.
As a bit of a guess- perhaps Zygarde must be transferred from XY or caught in game- then learn the Moves Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves before it can either transform or Mega Evolve into Zygarde Perfect Form.

raichu27

I'd like to see a Poison legendary. And a legendary of a Fire/Ice type, Fairy/Ghost, a pure Bug type, a Fire/Fairy type, and a Fairy/Dark type.

Bus

Personally I'm hoping for only a select few Legends since having a ton of them kinda lessens how special they are (at least for me, anyway). Maybe something like the 2 Mascot legends, a third one to balance the other two (as per usual like Zygarde to Yveltal and Xerneas, or Rayquaza to Groudon and Kyogre), and maybe 2 others.

We dont have a lot to go on, but if Sun/Moon means anything, I'm hoping for some Aztec themed legends; maybe a Quetzocoatl legend or something.

Niormon

Wolves was one of the first things that went around. Assuming it could link in with Norse mythology first introduced in XY, and the names of the games being Sun and Moon, it must be noted that there are both a Sun and Moon wolf in Norse mythology.

A lot of exposition coming up...

I love Dragon types, but we've received part Dragon type Legendaries from Gen III up until Gen VI. The only legendary dragon I'd yet like to see is a Poison Dragon based on a Leviathan.
I see what about the Lion ? ( that animal is the symbol of the sun right ? )

alexterri

TBH I kinda hope the legendaries are bast off of planets. That would be cool c:

As for the mascots, I'm predicting they will be fire/dragon and ice/fairy. I think the Sun mascot will be a cross between a roaster and a dragon. And the moon mascot a cross between a rabbit and a wolf, since both are associated with the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.