• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto24

Wow, I'ts probably purely coz theyve only been revealed a day but I dont see how these 2 are a pair.

Like you could feel the opposite vibes of Groudon/Kyogre, Zekrom/Reshiram etc but I just am struggling to see it with these guys, probs just me though.

Saying that though I do like their designs, I was originally TeamMoon but daaaaamn that Lion! I also need the names asap coz I keep calling them MegaPyroar and MegaZubat coz I have no imagination

Wow, I'ts probably purely coz theyve only been revealed a day but I dont see how these 2 are a pair.

Like you could feel the opposite vibes of Groudon/Kyogre, Zekrom/Reshiram etc but I just am struggling to see it with these guys, probs just me though.

Saying that though I do like their designs, I was originally TeamMoon but daaaaamn that Lion! I also need the names asap coz I keep calling them MegaPyroar and MegaZubat coz I have no imagination

They're most likely going to be Lunaala & Solgaleo because the trademarks, but it isn't 100%.

To be fair, them not being complete opposites makes sense. The Sun and Moon, IRL, aren't opposites, they are both acting forces on the planet Earth, although the Moon is also effected back from the Sun and Earth and the Sun effects the moon. But the way the Sun and Moon are drawn as the same size on the official site makes me think they're defo. going opposites :?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
They're based around the ancient legend of Māui, who used the wing of a moon bird (or bat in this case, because moons) to form the islands and then caught the sun in the form of a lion.

So it may be safe to assume that our "third legend" may be based on Māui himself.

Maybe, I'm just spitballing here.

Lunaala also looks like it's based on a Ghost Bat and a Dreamcatcher as well. Both making sense because Dreamcatchers are to be used at night to ward off nightmares and bats come out at night.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Has anyone noticed how Lunaala looks exactly like Olympia?...the gym leader who can see the future...hmmm...

UmbreonRanger

Pokemon Theorist
I feel that the starry foreheads of the legendaries could lead to the possibility of Cosmic typing being introduced.

Ditto24

They're most likely going to be Lunaala & Solgaleo because the trademarks, but it isn't 100%.

To be fair, them not being complete opposites makes sense. The Sun and Moon, IRL, aren't opposites, they are both acting forces on the planet Earth, although the Moon is also effected back from the Sun and Earth and the Sun effects the moon. But the way the Sun and Moon are drawn as the same size on the official site makes me think they're defo. going opposites :?

Thats a good point about not total opposites, I guess once we deduce what the themes for the mascots are it might make more sense :)

Are we assuming that the 3rd mascot will be something on the lines of an eclipse??

Snoo

Work Hard, Play Hard
Gigareki & Maashadow? Where did you get those names from?

Same trademarks as Solgaleo, Lunaala, and the starter's Japanese names.

Except Gigareki doesn't fall under the same circumstances the way Solgaleo, Lunaala, Mokuroh, Nyabby, and Ashimari are trademarks.

The only Pokemon that fits all descriptions of a trademark Pokemon is Marshadow.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Has anyone noticed how Lunaala looks exactly like Olympia?...the gym leader who can see the future...hmmm...
I noticed that too. I think it may just be a coincidence, though.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG FOR AN AWESOME LION POKEMON. I didn't really want it to be a legendary but I'll take it. Today is a good day.

Did you not like pyroar?

I thought he was pretty awesome and thought it was cool there was such a difference between male and female.

Anyways these legendaries look pretty sweet.

I'm wondering if the moon/bat legendary will be dark/fairy. That would be a cool typing since there are some fairies that evolve with a moon stone.

I think fire electric would be really cool for the sun/lion mascot, however just fire would be okay too to avoid 4x weakness to EQ

Rowlet

I originally told myseld that I would get Pokemon Sun but then I see that Moon has a giant majestic bat as it's mascot and it's got me rethinking my choice

UmbreonRanger

Pokemon Theorist
Imagine the shiny forms of these!!!!!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Read my post at the botom of page 37. GF has always introduced new types for balancing reasons, there's no other reason why they'd need to.

Besides, I'd argue that fairies affected poison types more than dragons.

The knights pretty much always carry fairy enchanted items, however. And there's still 'Dragons get killed in Fairy Tales'.

Now I'm curious. How do you feel about the two prior glorified nerfs? Because that's all Dark and Steel were, lol.

I will hand you a free argument there; not only is it not the fairies in fairy tales that slay the dragons; dragons hardly ever appear in fairy tales, they usually feature in tales about saints.

However in modern-day fantasy there is a trend of Elves/Fairies/Unicorns or altogether whimsical or beautiful creatures triumphing over dragons regularly. so to me it seemed not that unusual to make fairies strong against dragons. Plus Japanese media seem to like putting small, pink things against giant monsters and having the small, pink thing win.
Think Gandalf against the Balrog, the Unicorn against the Red Bull etc. etc.

As others have said, it still makes more sense than Dragon being resistant to Fire, Grass and Water.

So you dislike Dark and Steel as well?

I think Fairy was more than just a nerf (and a boost! don't forget that!) It introduced a completely new element to the pokemon world, no other type quite embodied the essence of the Fairy Type. Andyou know that argument could be turned around as well; what do you we need Dragons for? All the dragons could easily be other types.
What other type embodied light and magic and shimmering and whimsy like Fairy does?

I will admit that it was silly to try to argue logically. My dislike of Fairies stems at least 90% from personal bias. I think that some of my arguments still have merit, but that would lead us into an even bigger and completely pointless argument, so I'm just going to cut it off now. Let's just suffice it to say that I don't like Fairies because I am obsessed with Dragons.

Last edited:

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
I don't have much to say on the new legendaries others than Moon legend is really bizarre and Sun legend is literally Saberleomon. Don't know which game I want now...

Firebrand

Indomitable
I feel that the starry foreheads of the legendaries could lead to the possibility of Cosmic typing being introduced.

Ugh, don't start with this.

I sort of hope they go for an Aztec theme with these legends. I know several Mesoamerican myths deal with bats, and while Aztec mythology doesn't have any lions, they do prominently feature jaguars and cosmology, so the Sun legend could likely fill a jaguar's niche.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Except Gigareki doesn't fall under the same circumstances the way Solgaleo, Lunaala, Mokuroh, Nyabby, and Ashimari are trademarks.

The only one that be categorized as a Pokémon trademark is Marshadow.
Wasn't Xerneas trademarked the same way, though?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Ugh, don't start with this.

You can't totally disregard the possibility of a new typing. Especially one with a space-theme. If they ever wanted to introduce said typing, this would be the best gen to do it what with it revolving around the sun and moon.(And the possibility of D/P being remade)

I mean look at what happened last gen, everyone was in disbelief of the possibility of the new 'Fairy' type when it was rumored and then bam, we now have an abundance of Fairy-Typed Pokemon.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
;210;Looking at the Pokémon Sun mascot I would guess its a fire/psychic type or maybe a fire/fairy type? I don't the fire part is pretty obvious with it being associated with the sun and all.

The Pokémon Moon mascot looks like it could be a dark/flying, fairy/flying, psychic/flying or maybe even a fairy/psychic type? (there've been Pokemon that look like they should be flying types but aren't before, though too be fair they, of the top of my head, consist of Beedrill, Dustox, and Venomoth)

for all I know they could be some new type all together, I shall refrain from saying anymore about "new types" because such a discussion could get ugly, also because I have no ideas for "new types" and because this really isn't the place for such a discussion:593:

;210;Looking at the Pokémon Sun mascot I would guess its a fire/psychic type or maybe a fire/fairy type? I don't the fire part is pretty obvious with it being associated with the sun and all.

The Pokémon Moon mascot looks like it could be a dark/flying, fairy/flying, psychic/flying or maybe even a fairy/psychic type? (there've been Pokemon that look like they should be flying types but aren't before, though too be fair they, of the top of my head, consist of Beedrill, Dustox, and Venomoth)

for all I know they could be some new type all together, I shall refrain from saying anymore about "new types" because such a discussion could get ugly, also because I have no ideas for "new types" and because this really isn't the place for such a discussion:593:

How do you see the Sun legedary as Fairy? I have a hard time seeing it as anything but pure Fire, Fire/Psychic, Fire/Electric and maybe Fire/Steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.