• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
It is likely that these mascots would be getting signature moves. Legendary mascots have been getting signature moves since Gold and Silver. I think new type combos for the mascots would be great.

goodpeople25

Gen 3 was only retroactively though (at the time they did have a rare attack and sig abilities). But yeah they're going to have signature moves.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If I'm right about Solgaleo's signature move (I say if since it wasn't very clear that it was Solgaleo using it), then it's probably a Fire-type. It's mane also resembles a flower (a hibiscus, I think), so my guess is Fire/Grass

I personally buy it being a Grass-Type even less than I do the Fairy and Steel theories. It's always made extremely obvious if a Pokemon is a Grass-Type by their designs, and a vaguely flower-like shape that could easily be a coincidence just doesn't seem like a basis to think it will be a Grass-Type.

Xblade13

Experimentalist
I personally buy it being a Grass-Type even less than I do the Fairy and Steel theories. It's always made extremely obvious if a Pokemon is a Grass-Type by their designs, and a vaguely flower-like shape that could easily be a coincidence just doesn't seem like a basis to think it will be a Grass-Type.

What I don't think anyone is actually taking into account is movesets. While our Sun Lion seems to be part Fire, it is notable that Solarbeam is a Grass type move, and I'd find it very cruddy if the mascot representing the Sun itself couldn't use the most prominently Sun-based move ever as a STAB.

Perhaps a moveset of Sunny Day/ Fire special move/Solarbeam/Synthesis could convince you of a possible Fire/Grass type? And if the ability makes it Sunny by default that can be a coverage move.

Same with the Moon Bat. Fairy type has both Moonblast and Moonlight, so those seem naturally associated with it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
What I don't think anyone is actually taking into account is movesets. While our Sun Lion seems to be part Fire, it is notable that Solarbeam is a Grass type move, and I'd find it very cruddy if the mascot representing the Sun itself couldn't use the most prominently Sun-based move ever as a STAB.

Perhaps a moveset of Sunny Day/ Fire special move/Solarbeam/Synthesis could convince you of a possible Fire/Grass type? And if the ability makes it Sunny by default that can be a coverage move.

That's not good reasoning at all. If they thought it was so important to have STAB on Solar Beam (which it really isn't, because it doesn't matter) then they would have better implemented a Grass-Type motif when designing the Pokemon. As it has no such motif, it is fairly safe to say that they didn't see it necessary to give it STAB on Solar Beam. The design comes first in a Pokemon, not the moveset. They're not going to arbitrarily slap on the Grass-Type to an otherwise non-Grass-Type Pokemon just so it gets a strength boost on a single move. Besides, look at Solrock and Volcarona, they're both Sun Pokemon that can learn Solar Beam, and yet neither of them are Grass-Types. And it's not like this would be the first time that a major Legendary Pokemon learns a powerful move that fits with their lore even if they don't get STAB, see Lugia and Hydro Pump or Groudon and Eruption. Even Black and White Kyurem don't get STAB on Fusion Bolt and Fusion Flare. STAB is far from a primary concern.

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Even Black and White Kyurem don't get STAB on Fusion Bolt and Fusion Flare. STAB is far from a primary concern.

That's kind of irrelevant since their true signatures are Ice Burn and Freeze Shock. Fusion moves are something they inherit from, well, being fused.

Same with the Moon Bat. Fairy type has both Moonblast and Moonlight, so those seem naturally associated with it.

Thing is tough, Synthesis and Solar Beam are based off of an IRL plant's ability to convert solar energy into sustenance for themselves, whilst Moonblast/light seem to be from the moon itself, directly, so it isn't really comparable.

Also doesn't that mean Fire-Types, Noivern, etc have some counterpart to chloroplasts? ewe

B. Thunder Tiger

No, that is not always the case. See Palkia. Palkia is a futuristic space white pink dragon-like creature by appearance. By that alone, most people by default would have classified it as Psychic/Dragon from the outset and I'm pretty sure they have done so in the past, especially for how weird it looks in design. If, way prior to the release of Diamond and Pearl, anyone else had said "No, I think its a Water/Dragon type because of the pearls on its shoulders!", I can bet that almost everyone would have taken down that theory as being something silly and something that "doesn't fit". Guess what, Palkia got revealed as a Water/Dragon type. Same with Lugia. Constantly being associated with the seas and oceans, yet ends up as a Psychic/Flying type. GF logic at its best.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is that looks can fool and that one shouldn't be fooled by a book's cover. Appearance of a Pokémon, especially a Legendary at that, doesn't always give away their type straight away in the most obvious of ways.

Who knows, maybe its not Fire/Grass as you say, and might be another type altogether, but Fire/Grass so far makes a lot more sense theme-wise and its a new typing that you wouldn't expect straight away, especially in a tropical region like Alola. Heck, perhaps Solgaleo could end up as the dreaded "Fire/Fighting" combo. Who knows? I'm just saying that appearance alone doesn't always dictate one's Pokémon types. That said, if the flower mane doesn't really give you that Fire/Grass vibe alone, then I have more reasons here below to make it stronger. Of course, you're free to still disagree with the theory, as for now this is still just speculation.

Fire/Grass:
Fire/Grass is my second most preferred type, which is more focused on associations, rather than appearance. I chose this combo mainly because it was a new type combination not yet used in the franchise, and if there's anything I learned, is to expect that GF is unpredictable with their allocation of typings and that appearance alone doesn't always dictate one's type by sight, whereas Fire/Steel is more focused on its overall appearance. In addition, I have put Fire/Grass because of several other assocations:

1. Its mane looks like a detailed flower, incorporated with a five-pointed star. Could tie in with the Cosmos flower species, being part of the Sunflower family.
2. The Grass type itself is a reference to life in general, but also because plant products, such as vegetables and fruit are healthy for one's person.
3. Flowers are a common aspect of Hawaii, and if Solgaleo is Fire/Grass, it goes well with the overall tropical theme of the region.
4. The Lion is often mistakely called "King of the Jungle". Also, Lions are native in the savannah, a type of grassland, befitting Solgaleo's possible Grass-type.
5. The Fire Element is associated a lot with the passion and power of life, and the sun's light is essential to life in general.
6. Both Grass and Fire types, most of them of them anyways, can learn Solarbeam, a Grass type move, which in turn, ties it automatically with the sun.

Last edited:

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Yeah I really don't see Fire/Grass for Solgaleo.. admittedly, with it being the Sun legendary, part-Grass would have been possible.. but looking at its design I don't think that's the way they went with it.

If you want to see a flower as its mane then it's definitely possible, though that wasn't a thought that came to me when seeing it, it just seems to be a stylised mane, perhaps to separate it from Pyroar that has a pure-hair mane...

(Quick question, do we have a grass type that doesn't have a single bit of plant on it? Or body parts inspired by plants?)

Last edited:

Lugia isn't exactly comparable, it's just a Psychic/Flying type that lives in the ocean with water type moves, it's not any weirder than Slowpoke being a land-based Water-Type who can learn Flamethrower. Palkia is also not comparable due to the fact that it has many, abstract features that make it suitable to be Water-Type. Space is visualized as an ocean by media (for example, having what looks like ocean life in space), pearls are produced underwater, and it may also be part of a theme: Steel = Solid, Water = Liquid, Ghost = Gas.

Whilst I do think Solgaleo has a possibility of being Grass-Type, it's nowhere near as obvious as Palkia being a Dragon/Water-Type.

Also, to counteract some of your points:

2. If the Grass-Type is so life related, why isn't Xerneas, the Life Pokemon, Grass-Type?
3. Flowers are a common aspect of literally nearly any terrestrial biome that receives a substantial amount of rainfall, Hawaii isn't special in that regard.
4. That didn't effect Pyroar's type at all, and as Lugia is the Guardian of the Seas without being a Water-Type, Solgaleo can be based off of the King of the Jungle without being Grass-Type.
6. Solarbeam is based off of taking the sun's power and converting it, not using it in raw form, like Solgaleo most likely can.

B. Thunder Tiger

Yeah I really don't see Fire/Grass for Solgaleo.. admittedly, with it being the Sun legendary, part-Grass would have been possible.. but looking at its design I don't think that's the way they went with it.

If you want to see a flower as its mane then it's definitely possible, though that wasn't a thought that came to me when seeing it, it just seems to be a stylised mane, perhaps to separate it from Pyroar that has a pure-hair mane...

(Quick question, do we have a grass type that doesn't have a single bit of plant on it? Or body parts inspired by plants?)

Virizon and Celebi are the only ones that match of being Grass types without having any actual plants aside their common plant-like green color schemes. There might be more, but I'm not sure.

Lugia isn't exactly comparable, it's just a Psychic/Flying type that lives in the ocean with water type moves, it's not any weirder than Slowpoke being a land-based Water-Type who can learn Flamethrower. Palkia is also not comparable due to the fact that it has many, abstract features that make it suitable to be Water-Type. Space is visualized as an ocean by media (for example, having what looks like ocean life in space), pearls are produced underwater, and it may also be part of a theme: Steel = Solid, Water = Liquid, Ghost = Gas.

Whilst I do think Solgaleo has a possibility of being Grass-Type, it's nowhere near as obvious as Palkia being a Dragon/Water-Type.

Also, to counteract some of your points:

2. If the Grass-Type is so life related, why isn't Xerneas, the Life Pokemon, Grass-Type?
3. Flowers are a common aspect of literally nearly any terrestrial biome that receives a substantial amount of rainfall, Hawaii isn't special in that regard.
4. That didn't effect Pyroar's type at all, and as Lugia is the Guardian of the Seas without being a Water-Type, Solgaleo can be based off of the King of the Jungle without being Grass-Type.
6. Solarbeam is based off of taking the sun's power and converting it, not using it in raw form, like Solgaleo most likely can.

All good counter points. I'm just saying that appearance alone doesn't always give off Pokémon's type, and if it was the case, I'd put my bets on Fire/Steel, or perhaps go for the safest prediction - just mono Fire. As for the Flowers part, I only put that as one of my reasonings mainly because the region happens to be tropical and because we have a Lion Legendary starring in said region. On those points, I like to go further with my predictions and put reasoning behind it. That said, I can be completely wrong, so if Solgaleo ends up being something different than what I or others speculated, I'm not going to feel sour about it. Rest of my reasoning was just stuff I thought was fun to use in said speculation, and thus shouldn't be taken seriously.

Ultimately, at this point no one really knows until GF gets to reveal said types, whether its dual or mono. As for Xerneas not being part Grass-type....ask GF about that, because that's one of the more weirder decisions they made in recent times. I would have loved the deer to be Fairy/Grass. It had all the associations, if not the appearance to be that dual type.

Last edited:

Zealot

If I'm right about Solgaleo's signature move (I say if since it wasn't very clear that it was Solgaleo using it), then it's probably a Fire-type. It's mane also resembles a flower (a hibiscus, I think), so my guess is Fire/Grass

As for Lunaala, its beam attack looked very cosmic, so I think we can assume it's either a Fairy or a Psychic type. It could even be both, although I think it would be either Fairy/Flying or the slightly less impressive Psychic/Flying.

Hibiscus flowers have round petals while Solgaleo's mane is pointed-- if anything, it resembles the sun. But knowing GF, Grass/Fire typing is not far from far-fetched. But it sucks, imo.

I'd be pissed off if that stunning Moon legendary gets an underwhelming (pair of) typing. I hope it's a Dragon/Psychic or a Fairy/Psychic.

Jackjaw

For the Sun legendary I'm getting either a Fire/Steel or Fire/Grass typing. The gold protrusions on its head look, to me, a lot like actual gold- and the black setting at the end of its tail makes me think of iron. Which would be a clever link to astronomy if I remember my stellar life cycles correctly. Essentially the closer a star gets to the end of its life the heavier the elements it begins to fuse in order to generate enough energy to keep from collapsing. If I recall correctly iron is the last element it can fuse to still do this, beyond that it would actually be generating a negative level of output and collapse begins. So for the sun legendary to have iron and other metals on it that'd be a cool indication of a Fire/Steel typing.

My logic for the Fire/Grass typing is less sound and really only sticks to the idea that the majority of plant life on Earth requires energy from the sun so photosynthesis can occur.

As for the moon legend I'm still leaning towards it being primarily Psychic with maybe a Steel or Fairy secondary typing. We already had the double Steel legendaries with Palkia and Dialga, but we've also had so many Dragon legendaries at this point that I don't think it'd matter too much.

But even then they might both be single typings of Fire and Psychic, lol!

I'd be pissed off if that stunning Moon legendary gets an underwhelming (pair of) typing. I hope it's a Dragon/Psychic or a Fairy/Psychic.

Ewwww, hopefully not considering we just got a Dragon bat last gen and I'm pretty sure the majority of people are sick of Dragon mascots (counting Zygarde due to being part of a trio with mascots)

Class Zero

We have arrived.
For the Sun legendary I'm getting either a Fire/Steel or Fire/Grass typing. The gold protrusions on its head look, to me, a lot like actual gold- and the black setting at the end of its tail makes me think of iron. Which would be a clever link to astronomy if I remember my stellar life cycles correctly. Essentially the closer a star gets to the end of its life the heavier the elements it begins to fuse in order to generate enough energy to keep from collapsing. If I recall correctly iron is the last element it can fuse to still do this, beyond that it would actually be generating a negative level of output and collapse begins. So for the sun legendary to have iron and other metals on it that'd be a cool indication of a Fire/Steel typing.

My logic for the Fire/Grass typing is less sound and really only sticks to the idea that the majority of plant life on Earth requires energy from the sun so photosynthesis can occur.

As for the moon legend I'm still leaning towards it being primarily Psychic with maybe a Steel or Fairy secondary typing. We already had the double Steel legendaries with Palkia and Dialga, but we've also had so many Dragon legendaries at this point that I don't think it'd matter too much.

But even then they might both be single typings of Fire and Psychic, lol!

Dragon/Steel and Dragon/Water, not double Steel :D

Ditto24

Day Cat and Night Bat have really stumped me on types, I can only see Fire like most people for Sun. I first though Dark/Fairy for the Moon mascot,but I'm guessing it'll be Flying coz I doubt they'd
give a mascot Levitate

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Day Cat and Night Bat have really stumped me on types, I can only see Fire like most people for Sun. I first though Dark/Fairy for the Moon mascot,but I'm guessing it'll be Flying coz I doubt they'd
give a mascot Levitate

Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina-A all have the generic "Pressure" as their abilities. Along with Mewtwo, Lugia and Ho-Oh who were all designed before Abilities.
Considering Giratina-O had Levitate as it's ability, it shows that Levitate is potential ability for new legendary pokemon. And it does make sense considering that these two legendaries represent celestial bodies above/beyond earth

Status
Not open for further replies.