• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto24

Origin Forme Giratina :p

Omg Touche :p

But you know what I mean, they will probs get a Sig Ability.

Do we know or think that the bat can even land?

Zealot

Ewwww, hopefully not considering we just got a Dragon bat last gen and I'm pretty sure the majority of people are sick of Dragon mascots (counting Zygarde due to being part of a trio with mascots)

That's what you think, but many people don't mind and I'm p sure GF doesn't care.

I am fine with Dragon mascots. And tbh, the Moon legendary is reminiscent of Noivern so it won't be a surprise if it's part-Dragon.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I wonder what the legend's abilities will be? I could see them relating to an eclipse, but given that there was no visible eclipses when they showed the legend I doubt it (unless they didn't add it in yet or something?).

So, maybe we can have them have aura abilities like Xerneas and Yveltal? Would makes sense, especially with more than likely Zygarde return. I can see the Sun legend's being Sun Aura, that strengthens Fire and Grass types, and Moon legend's being Moon Aura that boosts Dark and Fairy (and maybe Water?) types.

It's also worth noting that when they showed the legends that the Sun's was there during the day and Moon's legend at night, so maybe when they're sent out they cause instant day/night?

Do we know or think that the bat can even land?

I'm just imagining it landing on the ground as some sort of flaccid disc thing e_e

That's what you think, but many people don't mind and I'm p sure GF doesn't care.

Really? i've seen a lot of people everywhere complaining about it. And so what if GF doesn't care? It's a speculation forum, I'm speculating and hoping.

I am fine with Dragon mascots. And tbh, the Moon legendary is reminiscent of Noivern so it won't be a surprise if it's part-Dragon.

They literally only look like each other because they're bats lmao, bat =/= dragon

Class Zero

We have arrived.
The kinda electric/technological eyes of both Solgaleo and Lunaala are kinda making me thing they are possibly man-made.. or at least cybernetically augmented by humans..

clbgolden12

Probably not. For all we know, Solgaleo, Lunaala, and Marshadow might not be the actual English names.
Names of legendaries are usually the same for every language.

But I still have my suspicions on Marshadow.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I have given this a lot of thought, and am pretty sure I have got them down.

"Solgaleo" = Flying/Water

"Lunaala" = Ground/Bug

Gabriel Faria

Shall we dance?
Probably not. For all we know, Solgaleo, Lunaala, and Marshadow might not be the actual English names.

It was a "joke" :D

Btw, I hope "Lunaala" is at least Ghost, because it kinda resembles a dream catcher. Also it's body seems like a skeleton and the lower part reminds me of a coffin/sarcofagus.

I know it will probably end up Fairy, which is a shame because we already have 3 Fairy legends in less than 2 gens and it's starting to be like Psychic and Dragon. Well, at least don't make it Dark/Flying as some people suggest...

Last edited:

clbgolden12

I have given this a lot of thought, and am pretty sure I have got them down.

"Solgaleo" = Flying/Water

"Lunaala" = Ground/Bug
Did you mean it the other way around?

Either way, I'm curious where you got Ground/Bug from.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
No, that is not always the case. See Palkia. Palkia is a futuristic space white pink dragon-like creature by appearance. By that alone, most people by default would have classified it as Psychic/Dragon from the outset and I'm pretty sure they have done so in the past, especially for how weird it looks in design. If, way prior to the release of Diamond and Pearl, anyone else had said "No, I think its a Water/Dragon type because of the pearls on its shoulders!", I can bet that almost everyone would have taken down that theory as being something silly and something that "doesn't fit". Guess what, Palkia got revealed as a Water/Dragon type. Same with Lugia. Constantly being associated with the seas and oceans, yet ends up as a Psychic/Flying type. GF logic at its best.

If you reread what I said, I specifically said that It's always made extremely obvious if a Pokemon is a Grass-Type by their designs. I was referring only to the Grass-Type, as the Grass-Type has been one of them ore thematically consistent types and easiest to spot just by looking. Even if we were talking about all types, you really can't use Palkia as a counter because it's more of an exception than a rule. Lugia, on the other hand, fits thematically with Psychic and Flying just as well as Water. If it were to have a third type, it would probably be Water, but as it can't they gave it Psychic and Flying as those two where more important.

Fire/Grass:
Fire/Grass is my second most preferred type, which is more focused on associations, rather than appearance. I chose this combo mainly because it was a new type combination not yet used in the franchise, and if there's anything I learned, is to expect that GF is unpredictable with their allocation of typings and that appearance alone doesn't always dictate one's type by sight, whereas Fire/Steel is more focused on its overall appearance. In addition, I have put Fire/Grass because of several other assocations:

1. Its mane looks like a detailed flower, incorporated with a five-pointed star. Could tie in with the Cosmos flower species, being part of the Sunflower family.
2. The Grass type itself is a reference to life in general, but also because plant products, such as vegetables and fruit are healthy for one's person.
3. Flowers are a common aspect of Hawaii, and if Solgaleo is Fire/Grass, it goes well with the overall tropical theme of the region.
4. The Lion is often mistakely called "King of the Jungle". Also, Lions are native in the savannah, a type of grassland, befitting Solgaleo's possible Grass-type.
5. The Fire Element is associated a lot with the passion and power of life, and the sun's light is essential to life in general.
6. Both Grass and Fire types, most of them of them anyways, can learn Solarbeam, a Grass type move, which in turn, ties it automatically with the sun.

Yes, those are all reasons to design it as a Grass-Type, but they are not reasons that this specific Pokemon with this specific design should be a Grass-Type. They could have used those all as reasons to make it a Grass-Type, but if they did then they would have actually made it look like a Grass-Type.

B. Thunder Tiger

If you reread what I said, I specifically said that It's always made extremely obvious if a Pokemon is a Grass-Type by their designs. I was referring only to the Grass-Type, as the Grass-Type has been one of them ore thematically consistent types and easiest to spot just by looking. Even if we were talking about all types, you really can't use Palkia as a counter because it's more of an exception than a rule. Lugia, on the other hand, fits thematically with Psychic and Flying just as well as Water. If it were to have a third type, it would probably be Water, but as it can't they gave it Psychic and Flying as those two where more important.

Yes, those are all reasons to design it as a Grass-Type, but they are not reasons that this specific Pokemon with this specific design should be a Grass-Type. They could have used those all as reasons to make it a Grass-Type, but if they did then they would have actually made it look like a Grass-Type.

I see. Then I missed noticing you mentioned the whole "type recognition" with the Grass type only. Sorry for that. On the other hand, though, not every Grass type is too obvious in their design. Celebi and Virizon are Grass-types, but don't really have any physical plant attributes to them, unless I missed any. The only thing those two have, however, is that they are both green in their color scheme. So on that case, seeing as every Grass type, most of them anyways, are often green in color, then I agree with you that the Grass is one of the most obvious of types in terms of appearance.

That said, if Solgaleo doesn't happen to be Fire/Grass, other types I think that are much more reasonable, atleast in terms of appearance is:

Fire/Steel, Fire/Electric or Fire/Psychic. Or perhaps mono Fire if I really want to make a safe prediction.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I see. Then I missed noticing you mentioned the whole "type recognition" with the Grass type only. Sorry for that. On the other hand, though, not every Grass type is too obvious in their design. Celebi and Virizon are Grass-types, but don't really have any physical plant attributes to them, unless I missed any. The only thing those two have, however, is that they are both green in their color scheme. So on that case, seeing as every Grass type, most of them anyways, are often green in color, then I agree with you that the Grass is one of the most obvious of types in terms of appearance.

That said, if Solgaleo doesn't happen to be Fire/Grass, other types I think that are much more reasonable, atleast in terms of appearance is:

Fire/Steel, Fire/Electric or Fire/Psychic. Or perhaps mono Fire if I really want to make a safe prediction.

I would argue that both Celebi and Virizion are designed to look as if they were made out of plants. Celebi's head looks like a flower bud/bulb, while Virizion has some flower petal/leaf elements on its body. I do admit that those two have a weaker connection to plants than most, but what they do have combined with their green coloration does firmly connect them to their type.

Personally I find pure Fire or Fire/Psychic to be the only likely ones. Fire/Electric seems a little random to me and the Fire/Steel theories that claim it looks like a mech aren't the most solid, as Lunaala has the same celestial visor thing going on with its eyes and forehead.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I've not really been following things that much this time around, but is Marshadow also a trademarked name like Solgaleo and Lunaala?

I see. Then I missed noticing you mentioned the whole "type recognition" with the Grass type only. Sorry for that. On the other hand, though, not every Grass type is too obvious in their design. Celebi and Virizon are Grass-types, but don't really have any physical plant attributes to them, unless I missed any. The only thing those two have, however, is that they are both green in their color scheme. So on that case, seeing as every Grass type, most of them anyways, are often green in color, then I agree with you that the Grass is one of the most obvious of types in terms of appearance.l
Forget Celebi and Virizion - if I saw a Deerling in the overworld, like we're seeing with this new dog, Grass-type would probably never even cross my mind.

Granted, it's Normal/Grass and the Grass features become much more prominent when it evolves...but still, this dog could be Normal/Grass too. I don't think it's LIKELY, but it wouldn't be the first part-Grass-type to not scream "GRASS!" just from its design (especially an overworld model.)

EDIT: Not sure why I thought this Grass-type-features discussion was about the new dog instead of Solgaleo...when we're in the Legendaries thread. My bad! My point still kind of stands...but we've seen official art of Solgaleo, and in the official art of Deerling, its Grass-traits (the yellow head flower) are a bit more obvious, whereas there's nothing like that apparent on Solgaleo.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Forget Celebi and Virizion - if I saw a Deerling in the overworld, like we're seeing with this new dog, Grass-type would probably never even cross my mind.

Granted, it's Normal/Grass and the Grass features become much more prominent when it evolves...but still, this dog could be Normal/Grass too. I don't think it's LIKELY, but it wouldn't be the first part-Grass-type to not scream "GRASS!" just from its design (especially an overworld model.)

Yeah, Deerling is probably the best case of a Grass-Type not looking like a Grass-Type, especially in it's non-Summer Forms, though even it still has a flower growing out of its head and is colored to look like plants in the various seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.