• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Gengar doesn't really "float" either, but he still has Levitate.

With that said, I'm hoping for new abilities for these legends. As stated earlier, something like Sun Aura and Moon Aura would be cool.

You could still imagine a Genger floating, we even see it floating in the anime rather than walking. I don't know about you, but I can't imagine a Solgaleo floating.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
I'm really curious about the lore of the upcoming legendary pokemon. Are they considered guardians of the sun and moon? or did they 'create" the sun and moon and somehow are kind of offshoots of Arceus.

If they helped create the sun and moon I'm really wondering if they will get a cool ability like Arceus has 'multitype'. Although I feel like they kind of overdid it with Arceus and made a supreme God pokemon too soon. Although they sort of made up for it with primals giving them better stat totals.

Although if they have 'unique' abilities I'm wondering what would fit with these pokemon designs, or if they would save a special ability like multitype for an event only pokemon.

They only had i think 3 event only pokemon in gen 6, but I could see them going really overboard and having an event pokemon for each planet or something since they seem to have really increased the number of events available each generation.

I think an event pokemon for each planet would be really cool and including pluto you could designate 2 plates per planet pokemon that would alter them between two different forms, leaving out the normal type, it would be nice to use the arceus plates for forme changes besides arceus although seems unlikely since there are so many forme change items that are for only one legendary, but would still be cool to tie it in with arceus since the planets, sun and moon, have creation oriented mythos.

B. Thunder Tiger

Updating my predictions/speculative list for what types Lunaala could be:

Updated list of type possibilities for Lunaala:
Fairy= For its magical associations to the moon
Ice = Refers to the lunar water ice on the moon, and ice's capability of reflecting light
Psychic = Used for cosmic/outer space references in general. (Lunar Dance, one of Cresselia's moves, is Psychic type, rather than Fairy type)
Flying = For the mere fact that Lunaala is flying.
Ghost = Refers to the aspects of the night, darkness, shadows, Lunaala's skeletal/creepy appearance, etc. (strongest possibility)
Dark = Refers loosely to the night, but is more associated with foul play, destructive urges, etc. (very unlikely, but still possible)
Water= The Moon is associated with water due to the fact it has the ability to control the tides and ebbs of the ocean via gravity.
Steel = May refer to Lunaala's scythe-like blade wing edges. Metals also reflect light, and Silver is commonly associated with the Crescent Moon.

8 possibilities in total if Lunaala ends up being a Mono Type, instead of Dual type.

Updated list of dual type possibilities for Lunaala:

Ghost type Combos:
Ghost/Ice, Ghost/Psychic, Ghost/Flying, Ghost/Fairy, Ghost/Dark, Ghost/Steel, Ghost/Water

Ice type Combos:
Ice/Fairy, Ice/Ghost, Ice/Psychic, Ice/Flying, Ice/Dark, Ice/Steel, Ice/Water

Fairy type Combos:
Fairy/Psychic, Fairy/Ghost, Fairy/Flying, Fairy/Ice, Fairy/Dark, Fairy/Steel, Fairy/Water

Psychic type Combos:
Psychic/Flying, Psychic/Ghost, Psychic/Fairy, Psychic/Ice, Psychic/Dark, Psychic/Steel, Psychic/Water

Flying Type Combos:
Flying/Ice, Flying/Ghost, Flying/Fairy, Flying/Psychic, Flying/Dark, Flying/Steel, Flying/Water

Dark type Combos:
Dark/Ghost, Dark/Ice, Dark/Fairy, Dark/Psychic, Dark/Flying, Dark/Steel, Dark/Water

Water type Combos:
Water/Ghost, Water/Ice, Water/Fairy, Water/Psychic, Water/Flying, Water/Dark, Water/Steel

Steel type Combos:
Steel/Ghost, Steel/Ice, Steel/Fairy, Steel/Psychic, Steel/Flying, Steel/Dark, Steel/Water

About 56 type combinations for Lunaala if it becomes a Dual Type. Take your pick, I'd say.

My personal picks for Lunaala's typing:
Steel/Flying, Ghost/Ice, Water/Steel, or Fairy/Ice

For Solgaleo, Fire is already pretty much given due to the sun being included and because of its signature move. May be mono type.

Secondary type possibilities for Solgaleo, if it ends up Dual Type:
Grass = May refer to the mane having a possible flowery/star shape. Tail may be a reference of a avocado done in half vertically.
Steel = Solgaleo looks rugged and tough, and futuristic. The sun has elements of iron in itself, but not a lot. The gold bits on its mane may reference to Steel.
Electric = The Sun has a natural electromagnetic field. Further, the gold parts on Solgaleo's mane may hint to Electric type.
Fighting = By far, the least speculated, but fits for Solgaleo's tough, strong look. May go well with the speculated Courage theme, a common lion association.
Psychic = For the fact that Psychic relates to cosmic concepts. Solgaleo's visor face and its fore-head mark make this type as likely possible.
Fairy = Solgaleo somewhat has a mystical look to it overall, and thus may connect to certain possible mythological tales involving lions, hence Fairy type.

To note and make clear, these are just speculations by now, and not considered fact. It includes speculations from both me and from other people.

Last edited:
Psychic = Used for cosmic/outer space references in general. (Lunar Dance, one of Cresselia's moves, is Psychic type, rather than Fairy type)

I'd say Lunar Dance isn't good evidence due to the fact that no legends (and by extension, their sig moves) have been re-typed, even really fitting ones, but it could still be evidence considering Fairy has only been around a while and type boundaries haven't been properly established like for other types. The space ties are still very strong with it, though, especially due to what I call its 'space face' :p

Steel = May refer to Lunaala's scythe-like blade wing edges. Metals also reflect light, and Silver is commonly associated with the Crescent Moon.

I haven't even thought of Steel-Type, but now you point it out, I could see it happening :eek:

So I was looking at Lunaala's in-game appearances so far, and I've noticed something. Those white things on Lunaala's wings (I only circled one because circling them all would be ridiculous :p) have been interpreted as gems, but what if they're meant to emulate bone?

WwRXbHA.png

See how these white areas form a line from Lunaala's the start of Lunaala's 'digits' to where its wing flaps end, with its purple 'skin' skin being stretched over to these golden parts? This is what happens with real bats, with their wings being composed of skin flaps over extremely elongated digits.

Here's a picture demonstrating how Lunala's 'crystals' line up with the golden pieces the purple is stretched between, with it also lining up with the start of Lunaala's digits.

hx5lVUF.png

Here's a bat skeleton to compare it with:

batskeleton.jpg

Here's a live, 'Ghost Bat' to compare it with (note, this isn't the same type of bat as the skeleton, but they're obviously similar.

1418180769293.jpg

Finally, here's a demonstration of how the other bat Pokemon have displayed this:

YUmwub0g.png

So I'm thinking due to all of this, those aren't crystals, but rather, bone peeking through! As for why I'm sure it's bone and not Lunaala's skin in that area being white:

tuMJR86.png

Lunaala's chest, with the shaping and colour of the white areas, is very obviously emulating a rib cage. Thus, I believe that the rest of Lunaala's white areas are meant to be skeletal.

Due to this, I'm a lot more confident that Lunaala's going to be Ghost-Type! I mean yes, Cubone and Marowak were bone based, but they used the bones of the deceased and weren't using their own bones. On the other hand, skeletons are often associated with ghosts, Halloween, dark magic, etc, things that Ghost-Type is tied to, and this is Lunaala's own bones, not those of others.

What do you guys think? :?

B. Thunder Tiger

I'd say Lunar Dance isn't good evidence due to the fact that no legends (and by extension, their sig moves) have been re-typed, even really fitting ones, but it could still be evidence considering Fairy has only been around a while and type boundaries haven't been properly established like for other types. The space ties are still very strong with it, though, especially due to what I call its 'space face' :p

I agree on this. I just added Psychic for a possiiblity.

I haven't even thought of Steel-Type, but now you point it out, I could see it happening :eek:

Funny enough, it only came up in my head today, before I remembered that Silver is heavily associated with the Crescent Moon, and realized the heavier parts of Lunaala's design could have been a sort of metal. Perhaps, Lunaala may be a more defensive oriented Pokémon despite its appearance suggests, whereas Solgaleo might be more offense oriented. That said, if we look at Lunaala again, its body is showcasing what seems to be the Moon, or a reflection of it. If Lunaala happens to be part Steel type, could it be so that Lunaala's body is that of a mirror of which one can gaze into outer space?

More, as Steel Type has a move named Flash Cannon, perhaps Lunaala's signature move may be a buffed up version of it? Also to note is that Pokémon Moon's logo happens to be a Crescent Moon shape. In fact, if one looks closer, the symbol also seems to invoke a flying bat image.

pokemon-moon-logo.png

So I was looking at Lunaala's in-game appearances so far, and I've noticed something. Those white things on Lunaala's wings (I only circled one because circling them all would be ridiculous :p) have been interpreted as gems, but what if they're meant to emulate bone?

WwRXbHA.png

See how these white areas form a line from Lunaala's the start of Lunaala's 'digits' to where its wing flaps end, with its purple 'skin' skin being stretched over to these golden parts? This is what happens with real bats, with their wings being composed of skin flaps over extremely elongated digits.

Here's a picture demonstrating how Lunala's 'crystals' line up with the golden pieces the purple is stretched between, with it also lining up with the start of Lunaala's digits.

hx5lVUF.png

Here's a bat skeleton to compare it with:

batskeleton.jpg

Here's a live, 'Ghost Bat' to compare it with (note, this isn't the same type of bat as the skeleton, but they're obviously similar.

1418180769293.jpg

Finally, here's a demonstration of how the other bat Pokemon have displayed this:

YUmwub0g.png

So I'm thinking due to all of this, those aren't crystals, but rather, bone peeking through! As for why I'm sure it's bone and not Lunaala's skin in that area being white:

tuMJR86.png

Lunaala's chest, with the shaping and colour of the white areas, is very obviously emulating a rib cage. Thus, I believe that the rest of Lunaala's white areas are meant to be skeletal.

Due to this, I'm a lot more confident that Lunaala's going to be Ghost-Type! I mean yes, Cubone and Marowak were bone based, but they used the bones of the deceased and weren't using their own bones. On the other hand, skeletons are often associated with ghosts, Halloween, dark magic, etc, things that Ghost-Type is tied to, and this is Lunaala's own bones, not those of others.

What do you guys think? :?

I fully agree with you on this. I pointed out before that Lunaala's chest area was a sort of rib-cage as shown on a bat's skeletal structure. On that, Ghost type has still been my preferred type. With Steel added as a possible secondary type, we could be looking at a possible Steel/Ghost - Ghost/Steel type. Lunaala would be the second Pokémon with this typing. Its also possible that what you refer as "bone", may in fact be metal, perhaps even silver:

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver
Silver has been used for thousands of years for ornaments and utensils, trade, and as the basis for many monetary systems. Its value as a precious metal was long considered second only to gold. The word "silver" appears in Anglo-Saxon in various spellings, such as seolfor and siolfor. A similar form is seen throughout the Germanic languages (compare Old High German silabar and silbir). The chemical symbol Ag is from the Latin word for "silver", argentum (compare Ancient Greek ἄργυρος, árgyros), from the Proto-Indo-European root *h₂erǵ- (formerly reconstructed as*arǵ-), meaning "white" or "shining".

Another combination I think is viable instead of Steel/Ghost, is Steel/Flying - Flying/Steel. Only has two weaknesses and a bunch load of resistances, and so far, only Skarmory happens to have this type combo. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Skarmory is still highly valued as a OU Pokémon. Now imagine Lunaala, a Legendary with this typing....nightmarish defensive capabilities across the board. More, this typing would work nicely with Solgaleo, if the latter ended up being Fire/Fighting - Fighting/Fire, being weak against Lunaala's Flying type, yet Solgaleo can counter back Lunaala's speculated Steel type with its own primary Fire type.

Last edited:
So I was looking at the GIFs of Solgaleo and Lunaala using their signature moves, and I'm thinking both are definitely special, non-contact moves. Although I doubt most people thought otherwise. Anyways, obviousness aside, am I the only one hoping that they have two signature moves like Reshiram and Zekrom? That'd be pretty cool, IMO. I'm also wondering if Lunaala's sig move is going to involve the moon more clearly later in its animation? I mean Solgaleo obviously summons the appearance of the sun around it.

also i didn't know solgaleo was also cinder fall

Class Zero

We have arrived.
So I was looking at the GIFs of Solgaleo and Lunaala using their signature moves, and I'm thinking both are definitely special, non-contact moves. Although I doubt most people thought otherwise. Anyways, obviousness aside, am I the only one hoping that they have two signature moves like Reshiram and Zekrom? That'd be pretty cool, IMO. I'm also wondering if Lunaala's sig move is going to involve the moon more clearly later in its animation? I mean Solgaleo obviously summons the appearance of the sun around it.

also i didn't know solgaleo was also cinder fall

Looking at the gif, it's hard to tell but does the fire/sun expand from Solgaleo's mane? Or is it behind Solgaleo?

About them having two moves.. Whatever Lunaala is using in that gif, is different to what it uses in the trailer we have (unless it's different parts of the same attack's animation) though I think they are different moves..

Last edited:

Akashin

Looking at the gif, it's hard to tell but does the fire/sun expand from Solgaleo's mane? Or is it behind Solgaleo?

About them having two attacks.. Whatever Lunaala is using in that gif, is different to what it uses in the trailer we have (unless it's different parts of the same attack's animation).

It looks as though Solgaleo consumes itself into a ball of fire that then bursts into a ring of fire behind it that fires the attack.

B. Thunder Tiger

About them having two moves.. Whatever Lunaala is using in that gif, is different to what it uses in the trailer we have (unless it's different parts of the same attack's animation) though I think they are different moves..

For Solgaleo, it appears as if the sun explodes into existence behind the lion, or around him. Hard to tell. For Lunaala, however, that's clearly not a signature move, but rather, its using the Psychic type move - Cosmic Power.

Cosmic_Power.png

Class Zero

We have arrived.
For Solgaleo, it appears as if the sun explodes into existence behind the lion, or around him. Hard to tell. For Lunaala, however, that's clearly not a signature move, but rather, its using the Psychic type move - Cosmic Power.

Cosmic_Power.png

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up! I just assumed it was since Solgaleo was using what appears to be its signature move. :D

Cosmic Power, huh... if it were anything else, I'd say that hints at a possible Psychic typing, but since it's the Moon legendary Lunaala having that move makes sense no matter its type.

storm12

Weather Bearer
You still have yet to tell me why them being the same type makes any difference in regards to ingenuity when they are all completely different Pokemon.

What I am saying is the Pokemon design matters more than Pokemon type.
Lugia being a Psychic-Type makes it no less of its own unique Pokemon, that point is proven by the fact that changing its type wouldn't serve to make it any more unique because it would be exactly the same Pokemon (maybe it would make more sense, but that's not what I'm arguing). My two points do not contradict each other.

As for the bolded part, once again, I am saying that the typing doesn't matter much when we judge what a Pokemon is and how unique/innovative it it. Even if they are just "slapping it on," it shouldn't make us appreciate the design behind that Pokemon any less than if it were another type.

I'm only speculating how they go about making Pokemon, since I have no way of actually knowing, but when they're designing a Pokemon, I would assume there is little conscious effort to think "hey, let's make a Poison-Type Legendary just for the heck of it." They make a design based off of various concepts and lore and the types are a byproduct of that process.

I would think that Dark is a much a better type for a destruction Pokemon than Poison. And it is a Flying-Type because they designed a bird to fit the Y theme. I ask again, should they have scrapped this perfectly good design just to remake it as a Poison-Type, possibly with a worse design? As for Zygarde, I see no way it could be a Poison-Type given its lore. How could one that protects nature be of a type that is heavily related to toxins and pollution? Deoxys may have started as a virus, but that really isn't what it is in the end. It's a cosmic being given incredible mental powers from its mutation.

I'm going to ask the question one last time. How does being a type that has been used before take away from the design itself of a Pokemon? How is Deoxys any less unique for being a Psychic-Type?

EDIT: Let me just say though, I am not arguing that a new and/or more unique typing for Pokemon is not a good thing. I fully admit that it is a pleasure to see a type combination that hasn't or has rarely been used before. That being said though, I do not think it's fair to to say a Pokemon is any less creative (or at least any less enough to matter) because it has a commonly used type, and I certainly do not think it's fair to call Game Freak lazy for it.

Your defense of designs is incredibly odd in my eyes. Every pokemon should be unique, in theory; every design should have ingenuity in some way, that is what makes it a unique pokemon. Furthermore concept/design/type should go hand in hand- in theory- what I am saying that they do not stretch themselves in this regard when it comes to the legendary designs we end up with. This is also where I see the flaw in your logic. Type and design should be inextricable and feed into each other, your viewpoint seems to tell me that design precedes type; tell me how are you supposed to go about designing a pokemon if you do not have at least a rough notion of what typing it will be?

You have so much praise for their use of a single type and the diversity therein, yet what I am stating is imagine the achievable diversity out of so many other types. The nature of pokemon is that there are a million and one possibilities you can have for EVERY type and yet you ask me to see it admirable that they only approach generally approach legendaries with a small handful of them; they can of cause keep going and make a dozen more Psychic types because it's possible, does it mean they should? I disagree with you. Yes a pokemon shouldn't purely be judged based on it's typing but the reality is that we get a fixed number of pokemon each gen and what many fans look forward to is interesting and unique type combos- so to end up with the same types over and over does grate- because pokemon don't exist in isolation, they exist as part of a numbered dex that is seemingly going to get more limited gen by gen- so no matter how well intentioned it is; repetition IS boring. Here is the analogy that is going to knock it out the park for me. Look at the Fire/Fighting starters. Could they in theory have continued to make Fire/Fighting starters? Yes. Could they all be so-called unique and interesting designs in and of themselves? Yes. Should they make more Fire/Fighting starters? 99% of fans would give an emphatic no.

I would also argue that to stretch a type so thin as the Psychic type is actually teetering into bad design when they lump far too much into this typing that only works by internal consistency and not necessarily actual logic. I.E the Psychic type is associated with space generally but this is likely just an extension of the notion of astrology and other psychic disciplines led by astral bodies, anything else is a stretch off from there.

I'm not saying they should necessarily remake designs purely for the sake of it being of another type, I'm trying to get at the ROOT of why these typings are what crop up with designs continuously; again I will use my metaphor of an artist with so many colours at their disposal yet insisting on sticking to a small number of them. I'm going a step further back, before they came up with the physical design of Yveltal there must have been a conceptual stage and in this stage there were far more possibilities. How exactly does Dark fit destruction then Poison hypothetically could? Poison is by it's very nature destructive- to Poison is to spoil, mar, taint, disfigure; destroy. The same with Zygarde, the same with Deoxys; a few steps further back in there design process these typings could have been worked in. They were not. Pokemon surely also don't emerge in a the start they appear in in the games and what we think is a good design, could well have had the possibility of being better. Furthermore why isn't anyone there geared to make a good Poison type legend and NOT just for the sake of doing so? WHY is it that the Psychic type keeps coming up over and over? These are things we can't know though.

I'm not saying a pokemon has a less creative physical design instantly because it is say Psychic, I'm saying what is less creative and unimaginative is that the same few types keep recurring when there are SO many options elsewhere.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Your defense of designs is incredibly odd in my eyes. Every pokemon should be unique, in theory; every design should have ingenuity in some way, that is what makes it a unique pokemon. Furthermore concept/design/type should go hand in hand- in theory- what I am saying that they do not stretch themselves in this regard when it comes to the legendary designs we end up with. This is also where I see the flaw in your logic. Type and design should be inextricable and feed into each other, your viewpoint seems to tell me that design precedes type; tell me how are you supposed to go about designing a pokemon if you do not have at least a rough notion of what typing it will be?

You have so much praise for their use of a single type and the diversity therein, yet what I am stating is imagine the achievable diversity out of so many other types. The nature of pokemon is that there are a million and one possibilities you can have for EVERY type and yet you ask me to see it admirable that they only approach generally approach legendaries with a small handful of them; they can of cause keep going and make a dozen more Psychic types because it's possible, does it mean they should? I disagree with you. Yes a pokemon shouldn't purely be judged based on it's typing but the reality is that we get a fixed number of pokemon each gen and what many fans look forward to is interesting and unique type combos- so to end up with the same types over and over does grate- because pokemon don't exist in isolation, they exist as part of a numbered dex that is seemingly going to get more limited gen by gen- so no matter how well intentioned it is; repetition IS boring. Here is the analogy that is going to knock it out the park for me. Look at the Fire/Fighting starters. Could they in theory have continued to make Fire/Fighting starters? Yes. Could they all be so-called unique and interesting designs in and of themselves? Yes. Should they make more Fire/Fighting starters? 99% of fans would give an emphatic no.

And I do admit that a new type does add to the creativity of a Pokemon. It certainly is not a non-factor. But being that it is only one of many factors that goes into designing a Pokemon, I don't think that gives us the right to complain about types being reused. Maybe if we had a whole bunch of Legendary Pokemon that had the same type, were based off of the same animal/object, had the same mythology/lore, had a similar moveset, and a similar gimmick, then you would have full right to be upset and call them lazy. But when compared to design, basis, lore, and even gimmicks, typing just seems like such a relatively small issue. I can understand being disappointed in seeing Legendary Pokemon of the same type, but I really do think it's overreacting to be upset by it, and I really do not think it's fair to call Game Freak lazy for it at all.

As for your Fire/Fighting Starter point, I would apply the same logic I do to Legendaries to that. Yes, it may be somewhat disappointing to see another one, but is it or should it be enough to make people dislike the Pokemon or think that Game Freak is lazy, absolutely not.

I would also argue that to stretch a type so thin as the Psychic type is actually teetering into bad design when they lump far too much into this typing that only works by internal consistency and not necessarily actual logic. I.E the Psychic type is associated with space generally but this is likely just an extension of the notion of astrology and other psychic disciplines led by astral bodies, anything else is a stretch off from there.

Can you give me an example of a Psychic-Type Legendary Pokemon (besides Lugia, I'll hand that one to you) that shouldn't have that typing and explain a solid reason for why that is the case?

I'm not saying they should necessarily remake designs purely for the sake of it being of another type, I'm trying to get at the ROOT of why these typings are what crop up with designs continuously; again I will use my metaphor of an artist with so many colours at their disposal yet insisting on sticking to a small number of them. I'm going a step further back, before they came up with the physical design of Yveltal there must have been a conceptual stage and in this stage there were far more possibilities. How exactly does Dark fit destruction then Poison hypothetically could? Poison is by it's very nature destructive- to Poison is to spoil, mar, taint, disfigure; destroy. The same with Zygarde, the same with Deoxys; a few steps further back in there design process these typings could have been worked in. They were not. Pokemon surely also don't emerge in a the start they appear in in the games and what we think is a good design, could well have had the possibility of being better. Furthermore why isn't anyone there geared to make a good Poison type legend and NOT just for the sake of doing so? WHY is it that the Psychic type keeps coming up over and over? These are things we can't know though.

First off, I would like to remind you that these were your exact words:
instead they should send these designers back and demand a Poison Legend!
That sounds to me like you're saying they should throw out already created designs in favor of making a new purely for the reason of having a different type.

Anyways, yes, they could have had different designs in mind early in the design phase if that's what they wanted. I would argue that when in that phase, the last thing they are worrying about is whether or not that design's types have been used, they are much more interested in crafting a new Pokemon with a design and maybe a gimmick to fit its lore. Unless they're attempting to make a Legendary of a different type just for the sake of of being different (which you claim you are not arguing for), they have no reason to attempt to purposely make a Poison-Type Legendary, they'll make it when a good enough idea for a design comes to them. Could they have designed Yveltal or Deoxys as Poison-Types, sure. But that wasn't the direction they were inspired to take in making the designs, and that doesn't mean they would have been better if designed as such.

I'm not saying a pokemon has a less creative physical design instantly because it is say Psychic, I'm saying what is less creative and unimaginative is that the same few types keep recurring when there are SO many options elsewhere.

So if an individual Pokemon is no less creative or imaginative because of its type, why does it matter what it's type is in the first place? You've got your creativity and imagination, why aren't you happy with that?

And one final question. Do you know anything about what it's like to design 100+ new characters each with their own unique design that will be seen by millions of people around the world every 3-5 years? Think about how much work Game Freak puts into these games and into the design of new Pokemon. How is it fair to call them lazy when you have never tried to do what they do, and they continue to put so much work into this series?

Seraphen

Ain't bitter
So did anyone discern the real life mythology behind Solgaleo and Lunaala?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

It's too early to say for sure. There are some theories, but nothing solid can be said until we know the actual stories behind Solgaleo and Lunaala. They are likely more complex than just a lion and a bat that represent the Sun and Moon.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Not yet, there are some guesses, but nothing concrete since there are so many Solar and Lunar deities that they could be based off of (if any at all).

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Some generic ideas:

1.Major deities of Hawaii Maui and Hina are sun and moon gods.

2.Creation of day and night in Genesis take place before creation of Land, Sea and Sky(ie. the Weather Trio):

"3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

6 And God said, “Let there be an expanse[a] in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” 7 And God made the expanse and separated the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so. 8 And God called the expanse Heaven.[c] And there was evening and there was morning, the second day."

3.Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi have been suggested, but they are unlikely, since Ho-Oh is partially based off Amaterasu, whereas Giratina is partially based off Tsukuyomi.

4.Some have suggested that Solgaleo might be based off Iran's national emblem. If this is true, Solgaleo might be based off Shamash, whereas Lunaala would be based off Nergal, the other part of Shamash that represents the underworld. These two were of course the basis of the Solaris the Sun God and his other two halves,Iblis and Mephiles, in Sonic 2006.

B. Thunder Tiger

Some generic ideas:

1.Major deities of Hawaii Maui and Hina are sun and moon gods.

2.Creation of day and night in Genesis take place before creation of Land, Sea and Sky(ie. the Weather Trio):

3.Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi have been suggested, but they are unlikely, since Ho-Oh is partially based off Amaterasu, whereas Giratina is partially based off Tsukuyomi.

4.Some have suggested that Solgaleo might be based off Iran's national emblem. If this is true, Solgaleo might be based off Shamash, whereas Lunaala would be based off Nergal, the other part of Shamash that represents the underworld. These two were of course the basis of the Solaris the Sun God and his other two halves,Iblis and Mephiles, in Sonic 2006.

I agree with the possible idea that Solgaleo may be inspired by Shamash. As Shamash is a God of Justice as described there and is symbolized by a star/sun symbol, which perhaps may be similar to the logo of Pokémon Sun, this will fit the idea that Solgaleo being a Fire/Fighting - Fighting/Fire type Legendary. I don't agree with the Nergal part though. Instead, I'd believe that Lunaala is based of Maya mythology, namely from the vague Camazotz - a bat god associated with death, the night and sacrifice. That would technically fit Lunaala if it ended up as a Ghost type as many speculated on.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Aren't the Trio usually based on a single mythology/concept?

Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza were based on the Hebrew legends of Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz respectively.
Dialga, Pakia and Giratina are personifications of Time, Space, and Antimatter respectively.
Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem are personifications of Yin, Yang, and Wuji respectively.
Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde were based on the creatures of the world tree, Yggdrasil -- the four stags, the eagle, and the serpent.

It is entirely possible that Solgaleo, Lunaala, and Marshadow are just personifications of the Sun, Moon, and Eclipse respectively.
No need to dig deep.

Palkia and Dialga are literally based off of nothing but dragons with power over time and space, whereas Giratina is that with some Satan thrown in. As Wulava said, there's no need to dig so deep. Really, only Gens III and VI had the legendaries all be based off of interweaving mythology. I mean Gen II was as simple as 'okay this place in Japan has a golden bird statue and a silver bird statue let's roll with that'.

Status
Not open for further replies.