• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Anybody think that the third eye we see on both of the legends might be an important trait that runs between them (and possibly Marshadow)?

Mokepon22

Anybody think that the third eye we see on both of the legends might be an important trait that runs between them (and possibly Marshadow)?

Yup, since both mascots share a typing I'm expecting that the third member to get that cosmic head thing as well as being part psychic

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
If Solgaleo and Lunala had alternate forms then I think they would be like this:
Solgaleo alternate form - Psychic/Fire or Fire/Steel with Flame Body or some new ability (Fire version of Pixilate maybe).
Lunala alternate form - Psychic/Fairy or Fairy/Ghost with Pixilate.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
My prediction is that we'll get some kind of tiki themed trio of Legendaries. I know it's not very original but that's the best I can come up with.

Actually that sounds plausible to me. I could see a tiki trio representing different resources used in the creation of Alola's islands. Like maybe one member of the trio would represent lava while one represents the ocean and so on. Perhaps the Strange Souvenir foreshadows tiki legendaries. ^^

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Their third eye seems to open when they use their signature move. Lunala's light absorption ability activates and focuses on its third eye. I suspect Solgaleo's light emission ability will start from its third eye as well.

Huh, interesting. At this point, the only likely creator would seek to be AZ himself, or a descendant of his.

That flower-laser blasting arm, 'Soul Blaster' and the general design just screams ultimate weapon and AZ to me.
The flower gun possibly being modeled after the ultimate weapon/eternal flower makes me wonder if there is a chance Magearna will learn Light of Ruin actually.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
The flower gun possibly being modeled after the ultimate weapon/eternal flower makes me wonder if there is a chance Magearna will learn Light of Ruin actually.

New Headcanon: The "Pokéball" part of Magearna houses Eternal Flower Floette

B. Thunder Tiger

Just curious to know myself, what's everyone's personal opinion on the idea/theory that Solgaleo may also be inspired/designed after the Nemean Lion, alongside the alchemical symbol of "The Lion That Devours The Sun"? I mean there's a lot in Solgaleo's design that references a lot to the Leo Zodiac/Nemean Lion theory, not to say, its a known mythical creature and links back perfectly with alchemy and its respective symbol. At least, that is how I see it.

Here's my repost/overview of the theory including the alchemy idea with some small additions:

Here's a more precise lowdown about Solgaleo both being alchemy themed as well possibly being inspired by the Nemean Lion:

In alchemy:

1. Solgaleo is said to be based on the alchemical symbol of "The Lion That Devours The Sun". Goes about purifying metals, explaining the Steel type thematically.
2. Gold is ruled by the alchemic symbol of the Sun, explaining the metallic golden bits on Solgaleo's mane, which again can explain the Steel type.
3. Digestion is one of the 12 core alchemical processes and is "ruled", or "dominated", by the zodiacal sign of Leo.
4. In alchemy, the sun is depicted in three colors, that being black, white and red, which are all present on Solgaleo's design in addition to the gold elements on its mane.

Representing the Leo Zodiac and Nemean Lion:

The Leo Zodiac Itself:
The Leo Sign represents the Nemean Lion, and is linked to the Fire element. Although Solgaleo isn't a Fire-type naturally, I expect it to learn a good number of Fire-type moves due to the link to the sun. Just to be clear; just because its linked to the sun, doesn't mean its a automatic Fire-type.

Solgaleo's Steel Type:
Is a reference to the Nemean Lion's impenetrable hide that is said to bounce off weaponry. Solgaleo's Ability could tie into this thematically. Just replace the term "weaponry" with "stat deduction"

Solgaleo's Star Mane:
May refer to the Leo Constellation, which is the Nemean Lion according to Greek myth. Constellations are groups of stars.

Solgaleo's Psychic Type:
Psychic is commonly associated with astrological and cosmic concepts such as the stars and space. The Leo Zodiac, as such, fits this definition by default.

Solgaleo not being a Fire-type:
The Nemean Lion isn't a fire-manipulating creature by origin. Also, appearance wise, Solgaleo barely has anything that points it to Fire-type.

Solgaleo's Golden Body when it uses its signature attack:
The Nemean Lion's body/inpenetrable hide is said to be golden in color.

Solgaleo's Emissary Role:
The Leo Zodiac, a.k.a the Nemean Lion is a servant of the Sun, which is said to be Leo's ruler, explaining Solgaleo's emissary role.

Links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemical_symbol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestion_(alchemy)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suns_in_alchemy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_(astrology)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemean_lion

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I thought that was just part of its accepted design base.

I came up with it too at least, so I mean obviously I agree.

B. Thunder Tiger

I thought that was just part of its accepted design base.

I came up with it too at least, so I mean obviously I agree.

I was just curious myself, seeing as a lot are hanging on the whole "The Lion Devours The Sun" symbol only, even though, to me, its a pretty vague reference, whereas the Leo Zodiac/Nemean Lion is more familar with people, or so, that is what I think. Regardless, good to know there are other people with similar agreements and thoughts to this theory, so that's good.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Interesting thing about these two.

Though Solgaleo is associated with the sun and Lunala the moon, they are both associated with light.

Is it safe to say the third legendary (Marshadow, is it?) will represent the eclipse? And if this is the case, would this mean the outcome dealing with this third legendary will likely differ between the versions, considering the differences in solar and lunar eclipses?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Is it safe to say the third legendary (Marshadow, is it?) will represent the eclipse? And if this is the case, would this mean the outcome dealing with this third legendary will likely differ between the versions, considering the differences in solar and lunar eclipses?

Unlikely. With the exception of Giratina in Platinum, where you encounter the third legendary doesn't change depending on version.

Gizmoa

Someone may have said this by now, but just in case...

The speculation on the third legendary... it is possible that the third member is actually Zygarde in another form... or a different earth pokemon. The reasoning being that when you have a trio started with sun and moon, the third should be earth... at least if they want to keep that eclipse theme they have in the logos. You need the earth to form a lunar eclipse because that is caused by the earth's shadow being cast on the moon during syzygy. A solar eclipse is when the moon blocks the sun (better known) casting it's shadow on the area of earth experiencing the eclipse.

Anyhow, my guess is if there is a third, it is related to the Earth, or if they use Zygarde as the Earth that they may add a pokemon based on the concept of casting a shadow.

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers

What makes this even more interesting is that in the movie trailer we saw Magearna sprouting actual flowers from its hands. It may indeed have a connection to Eternal Floette...
Adding on to this is Masuda's "flowers" comment last year and the fact that the movie takes place in the "Kingdom of Azoth"

New Headcanon: The "Pokéball" part of Magearna houses Eternal Flower Floette

Pretty sure that's where the Soul Heart is, and timeline evidence disproves that it's Eternal Flower Floette (at least in the modern day).

Dragon Pulse

Clearly, Solgaleo is part Steel because of the whole "lion eating the Sun" alchemical symbol for the purification of metals. Also, I may have figured out why Solgaleo and Lunala are weak to Fire and Dark, the types they should've been respectively.

The Sun is a star. As a star gets hotter and hotter, it's core is getting more dense, getting closer to the end of the star's life. Additionally, in myths and legends, the Moon, when covered by darkness to create Halves and Quarters, it gets weaker.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Pretty sure that's where the Soul Heart is, and timeline evidence disproves that it's Eternal Flower Floette (at least in the modern day).

The soul heart is in it's chest. I think they were referring to it's "skirt" section.

Koumashiki

ポケモントレーナーになる?
Clearly, Solgaleo is part Steel because of the whole "lion eating the Sun" alchemical symbol for the purification of metals. Also, I may have figured out why Solgaleo and Lunala are weak to Fire and Dark, the types they should've been respectively.

The Sun is a star. As a star gets hotter and hotter, it's core is getting more dense, getting closer to the end of the star's life. Additionally, in myths and legends, the Moon, when covered by darkness to create Halves and Quarters, it gets weaker.

Actually, Dark type in Japanese is "Evil" type (hence many Dark type moves are dirty tricks like Sucker Punch, Nasty Plot, Fake Tears...), so the weakness for Lunala isn't really that irony.

But I'm still a bit disappointed by the fact that Lunala doesn't have the Fairy type, considering Gen 6 makes some moon related stuff associated with the type. Moonlight retyped into Fairy, Moonblast is a Fairy move, Clefable line was retyped into Fairy, oh Jigglypuff also becomes a Fairy might be because of the evolution via Moon Stone.

Something like Ghost/Fairy would've been so cool, but of course Psychic has to be there for the cosmic theme right?

B. Thunder Tiger

Clearly, Solgaleo is part Steel because of the whole "lion eating the Sun" alchemical symbol for the purification of metals.

Its more likely that the whole "lion eating the sun" shouldn't be taken too literally, because it has a description that doesn't make it fit with its type combo of Psychic/Steel. The only real part that manages to match is the whole sentence refering to the sun being devoured, which goes along with Solgaleo's description of being "the beast that eats the sun". Now that said, the whole "eating" part can also go along with the core alchemic process of Digestion. In ancient times, this alchemic process was done through the use of sunlight. What's more, is that this alchemic process happens to be linked to the Leo Zodiac, which in turn happens to be the Nemean Lion. Also the sign ruler of the Leo Zodiac is the Sun, and is linked to the element of Fire, explaining Solgaleo's role as "the emissary of the sun".

Long story made short, the Nemean Lion was known for its hard, inpenetrable hide, which in Solgaleo's case, can easily refer to the Steel type, being a much easier connection to make, than the vague "The Lion That Devours The Sun", which until now, I can bet no one knew something like that existed until it was sought out by people to try and explain the Psychic/Steel typing. Its much easier to link Solgaleo to a constellation because it matches both its types, whereas the alchemic symbol only partially supports the Steel-type. But of course, that is how I see it anyways.

Also, I may have figured out why Solgaleo and Lunala are weak to Fire and Dark, the types they should've been respectively.

I fully agree. This makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.