• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
For the same reason why Time is a dragon thing with Marge Simpson hair.

I wouldn't say it's straight up Mars itself, merely a personification of it. Like how Solgaleo and Lunala are the personification of the sun and moon.
Solgaleo and Lunala aren't really the Sun and Moon themselves, though, just their emissaries.

ABC595

Why are we assuming that marshadow is to do with mars? I read it's name as to be to do with marshes (maybe like the primordial Pokemon who oversaw the evolution of humans from swamps?

clbgolden12

Why are we assuming that marshadow is to do with mars? I read it's name as to be to do with marshes (maybe like the primordial Pokemon who oversaw the evolution of humans from swamps?
This is something I considered some time ago. What if Marshadow is just some non-legendary Pokémon that's like a swamp ghost or something?

Orphalesion

It could also be "Mar" and "Shadow" as in "to mar"="to defile, damage" so it could literally be the "Defiling Shadow"

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Solgaleo and Lunala aren't really the Sun and Moon themselves, though, just their emissaries.

Really? I was never the best with understanding terminologies, you see. Marshadow could be the emissary of Mars as it were, if it even relates to Mars to begin with.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
It could also be "Mar" and "Shadow" as in "to mar"="to defile, damage" so it could literally be the "Defiling Shadow"

I believe this is going to be how it is, or at least this is what i hope.

Not sure what mars or marshes have to do with sun and moon, although shadow is obvious. and to mar would begreat if it is evil.

ABC595

This is something I considered some time ago. What if Marshadow is just some non-legendary Pokémon that's like a swamp ghost or something?
yeah I could see that, but why would it be trademarked then unlike all the rest of the Pokemon?
That would be quite a good concept. Maybe similar to the recent mystery dungeon games and feeding off of negativity? But that wouldn't really relate to the legends if it is indeed the third legend.

Orphalesion

That would be quite a good concept. Maybe similar to the recent mystery dungeon games and feeding off of negativity? But that wouldn't really relate to the legends if it is indeed the third legend.

Well, the sun and moon are sources of light. And shadows byt themselves are also a byproduct of light, plus shadow=darkness=opposite of light.

ABC595

Well, the sun and moon are sources of light. And shadows byt themselves are also a byproduct of light, plus shadow=darkness=opposite of light.
Moon isn't a source of light but a massive mirror... But I mean a defileing shadow who destroys everything doesn't have much to do with the sun and moon really.

Orphalesion

Moon isn't a source of light but a massive mirror... But I mean a defileing shadow who destroys everything doesn't have much to do with the sun and moon really.

I know it merely reflects the light, and still it makes the night much brighter, so it is often referred to as a source of light.

Light brings life and is frequently associated with healing, restoration and purity. The opposite of healing, restoration and purity would be marring/defilement.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I know it merely reflects the light, and still it makes the night much brighter, so it is often referred to as a source of light.

Light brings life and is frequently associated with healing, restoration and purity. The opposite of healing, restoration and purity would be marring/defilement.

Ah I love that.

The sun is first one to bring light to the earth, and when the earth has to turn to allow it's underside to also have light,
the moon is there for the ones currently forgotten by reflecting the sun's shine onto them as well,
so the sun and moon work together to ensure no one is in total darkness.

Until marshadow comes along and wreaks havoc, ensuring everyone is in total darkness and that sun and moon will never work together again.
The moon can't do it's job when marshadow is in it's way, causing complete inbalance to the world with excessive sunlight during the day to make up for the total darkness at night.
Two extremes.

Although seems too much like oras that way, except it wouldnt be total darkness only in one version and total light in the other version, it'd just be half total light and half total darkness in each.

ABC595

Sorry if I came off a bit standoffish there, I guess I'm used to people not knowing that I just assumed...

But that actually sounds like a good plot now I know what you are on about.

RzK

Meow
So i suppose my post got buried.. What do you think if Marshadow 's supposedly unique typing is Dark/Dark or something, giving it dual STABs and making every weakness 4X, being the ultimate glass cannon?

.Aerodactyl.

So i suppose my post got buried.. What do you think if Marshadow 's supposedly unique typing is Dark/Dark or something with dual STABs and every weakness 4X, being the ultimate glass cannon?

A double dark? That actually sounds really cool to me if it's supposed to be like an eclipse Pokémon. It would match the concept really nicely. I don't think they'd straight up give it that type, but rather an ability that essentially made it function as such. It would be strong against both mascot legends and absolutely MURDER Lunaala.

clbgolden12

yeah I could see that, but why would it be trademarked then unlike all the rest of the Pokemon?
Well, we can assume that probably all the new Pokémon were trademarked, but the only reason the starters, Solgaleo and Lunala, and Marshadow got recognized is because the starters names were all connected to Grass/Water/Fire, Solgaleo/Lunala because they both have "Sun" and "Moon" on their names (just in Latin), and Marshadow because it's celestial body.

So i suppose my post got buried.. What do you think if Marshadow 's supposedly unique typing is Dark/Dark or something, giving it dual STABs and making every weakness 4X, being the ultimate glass cannon?
That would be... Interesting.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
A double dark? That actually sounds really cool to me if it's supposed to be like an eclipse Pokémon. It would match the concept really nicely. I don't think they'd straight up give it that type, but rather an ability that essentially made it function as such. It would be strong against both mascot legends and absolutely MURDER Lunaala.

ooo yeah, in that sense I could see it being dark/fire with a double dark stab ability that makes it super effective on both other legendaries. Although balancing is something they dont tend to look at apparently.

Orphalesion

Sorry if I came off a bit standoffish there, I guess I'm used to people not knowing that I just assumed...

But that actually sounds like a good plot now I know what you are on about.

No worries dude.

Well the problem with this interpretation would be that there are supposedly no truly malicious pokemon, but on the other hand we do have Geratina, at the very least and pokemon like Yvetal and Drakai who represent very destructive forces. So... maybe a defiling shadow would be alright as well?

To me at least it'd make more sense than randomly trowing Mars (the planet) into the mix...

thenorthernbear

Winter Trainer
I think the most obvious direction, assuming that Game Freak decides to continue the "legendary trio" trend this time around, would be a legendary based on the stars. (Yes, I know the sun is also a star). I mean, sun, moon, and stars? It would make sense. The design opportunity alone is promising.

B. Thunder Tiger

If Marshadow's typing is Dark/Fire as everyone concludes based on the rumored leak, could it be so that its called the Chaos Pokémon, and as such, plays as the prime opposite to Zygarde the Order Pokémon?

That aside, I also like to believe that Mars, the said planet is included in its name, seeing as the Roman God of the same name embodies War, and goes well with the Dark type. In addition, Planet Mars is also associated with the Babylonian God, Nergal, who in turn is known as the god of fire, destruction and war, which could further explain the Dark/Fire typing that Marshadow may have.

ABC595

If marshadow is the triple type some people think a Dragon/Fairy/Steel with an ability similar to levitate would be great for it... But I still doubt that triple type will happen for a good while yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.