• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So I've been looking at Type: Null's official entry and I can't help but think it's a legendary. I mean, it's a chimera and was created by humans for a specific mission. Given how it's composed by parts of different Pokémon, I can't see more than one exist. What do you guys think? Is it a legendary or not?
Given it's not classed as a legendary, I doubt it is, just meant to have power around one of a legendary.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
So I've been looking at Type: Null's official entry and I can't help but think it's a legendary. I mean, it's a chimera and was created by humans for a specific mission. Given how it's composed by parts of different Pokémon, I can't see more than one exist. What do you guys think? Is it a legendary or not?

Nah, I don't think so. Seeing as it is owned by an NPC, I don't think it will be a Legend. Sure, only one may exist, but the same is true for the first member of any manmade Pokemon species (like Porygon or Castform). In fact, in Gen 3, you (as the player) are one of only two characters in the whole game who has/can have a Castform, and not a single trainer uses Porygon in Gen 1. Scarcity just comes with the territory when it comes to the early days of manmade Mons.

Sure, it could be a Legendary, I'm certainly not ruling that out, but I am leaning towards it being a unique non-Legend instead.

Last edited:

Bramblefire

Aura Guardian

As we know it now, no. If Type: Null gets a more powerful form, as its discription implies, then I can see it on par with legends. Either way, I guess time will tell if it gets classified as one.

R_N

It is classified as a normal (...such as it is...) pokemon on both the english (which, admittidly, doesn't put Zygarde, Tapu Koko or Magearna in the Legendary tab) & Japanese site (which is more thorough in its classifications). Just because only one exists doesn't make it a legendary, nor does it being manmade. Porygon's entire line is man made, for example.

Also if anything being a manmade chimera implies there could easily be more of these things. All you have to do is create more using the same process. Assuming Gladion didn't steal this before it could into full production, I could see late-plot enemies using them.

The Super Kid

The Underdog :(
This may have been brought up before, but I'm not prepared to scroll through 125 pages >.< sorry

I was just thinking, yep Ash-Greninja is in the game, but in the same way the Radiant Sun and Full Moon phases are.

We know that Solgaleo and Lunala transforms into Radiant Sun and Full Moon phases respectively "when they release their mighty power". These forms may be Z-forms (hence why I think Ash/Z- Greninja will be in). What I'm saying is that Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam are required for their Z-moves (like Water Shiruken for Z-Greninja), which change them into their Z-forms. We can even see their Z crystals in the logo. However I think this may be another Red Orb/Blue Orb scenario where we have the opposite crystal, which angers the legend of the game (e.g the Moon crystal angers Solgaleo in Sun and vice-versa) which you must defeat. Later on you get the other crystal and can activate their forms to save the world etc etc.

I got a bit carried away towards the end, but that's because I had no better ideas lol.
And I don't know how feasible this is. I just wanted to write it somewhere :3

WilliamGallon

Long time listener, first time caller.

Update me if it's been said before, but I've been thinking about Marshadow.

Assuming that it's the middle legendary, filling an astrologic trident: Sun, Moon, Mars.

Like some user over at Smogon was pointing out, there has been a pattern in middle legendaries: Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, Zygarde.
It's been always Dragon–something until now, and since it's been leaked "it has a very unique type combo", I was thinking about the possibilities.

Mars is commonly associated with red, but also being the Roman god of War, maybe Marshadow will be Dragon/Fighting?
Or, following the literal name, fighting/ghost.

clbgolden12

Long time listener, first time caller.

Update me if it's been said before, but I've been thinking about Marshadow.

Assuming that it's the middle legendary, filling an astrologic trident: Sun, Moon, Mars.

Like some user over at Smogon was pointing out, there has been a pattern in middle legendaries: Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, Zygarde.
It's been always Dragon–something until now, and since it's been leaked "it has a very unique type combo", I was thinking about the possibilities.

Mars is commonly associated with red, but also being the Roman god of War, maybe Marshadow will be Dragon/Fighting?
Or, following the literal name, fighting/ghost.
The problem with the Dragon Trio master thing is that it seems that all the members of our current Trio will have the Psychic typing, so it'd probably have to be either Psychic/Dragon or Psychic/Fighting, both of which aren't unique.

... And just saying, I'm pretty sure Marshadow will represent an Eclipse rather than Mars, especially considering "Sun Moon Mars" isn't really a thing.

goodpeople25

Yeah and the dragon pattern is also kinda inflated by having the shared type for the mascots in the middle of the pattern (IV and V) be dragon anyway.

WilliamGallon

The problem with the Dragon Trio master thing is that it seems that all the members of our current Trio will have the Psychic typing, so it'd probably have to be either Psychic/Dragon or Psychic/Fighting, both of which aren't unique.

... And just saying, I'm pretty sure Marshadow will represent an Eclipse rather than Mars, especially considering "Sun Moon Mars" isn't really a thing.

Seems like Mars to me, since every astro–object is in every name, "Sol", "Luna", "Mar".
And well, "Gold Silver Crystal", "Ruby Sapphire Emerald", "Diamond Pearl Platinum" (!!) weren't really a thing before the games set them as so.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The MAR in Marshadow is most likely referring to lunar mares (the dark spots of the moon). While SHADOW being the result of blocked light.
Both words relate to the Sun & Moon.

Dragon Pulse

I'd love for Marshadow to be Fire/Dark, which are both the types Solgaleo and Lunala are weak to. It'd be interesting.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
I'd love for Marshadow to be Fire/Dark, which are both the types Solgaleo and Lunala are weak to. It'd be interesting.

rotfl, now that you mention it, I realize how funny it is that the sun legendary is weak to fire...

But anyways, fire/dark wouldn't be a very unique typing, which marshadow supposedly has.

Lordpokemaster

I want the legendaria's to have a sun and moon form were Longaleo is a fire/electric and lunala is ghost/dark
while Mar shadow dark/fairy or ghost fighting

sheld999

I want the legendaria's to have a sun and moon form were Longaleo is a fire/electric and lunala is ghost/dark
while Mar shadow dark/fairy or ghost fighting

the two legends already have forms i think or it could be just phairses they use when attacking to make it look like they changing forms

B. Thunder Tiger

The MAR in Marshadow is most likely referring to lunar mares (the dark spots of the moon). While SHADOW being the result of blocked light.
Both words relate to the Sun & Moon.

That makes a lot of sense. More, according to the wikipedia page of Lunar Mares, or Lunar Maria, the word Maria means "Seas". As such, maybe its so that Marshadow is either a Dark/Water orGhost/Water legendary. In addition, seeing as Solgaleo and Lunala are represented by a lion and bat respectively, I can see Marshadow likely being based on a killer whale and/or a shark, that is if my guess of a potential Water/Dark or Water/Ghost type is true, especially if its supposed to beat both Solgaleo and Lunala respectively. In addition, seeing as the Moon is associated with Water, a Water-type would make sense thematically. Another possible type could be Psychic/Dark, as to match with the Psychic typing of Solgaleo and Lunala respectively.

Regardless, if it works out, that would mean that Solgaleo, Lunala and Marshadow symbolically represent certain animals specialized living in the three main natural layers of Nature, each in the following ways:

Solgaleo - Land (Sun):
First off, Steel is a metal, and metals in general, such as iron are derived from the earth. Also, Lions are land-bound animals, and are often represented by the sun in various mythologies and cultures. More, being the emissary of the Sun, it also represents Daytime.

Lunala - Sky (Moon):
Even though Lunala isn't part Flying-type, its still a airborne creature, and being part Ghost type as such, it specifically represents the night/moonlit sky, and bats are flight-bound nocturnal animals. Represents the Moon, which is a symbol of the night. As such, being a emissary of the Moon, it represents Nighttime

Marshadow - Sea (Eclipse):
Mainly due to the word "Mar" being possibly derived the term of Lunar Mares, which in turn is derived from Maria, which is Latin for "Seas", explaining the idea of Marshadow possibly being part Water-type (or Psychic type to match the space theme). In turn, it represents the natural phenomena of eclipses, both of which are caused by the Moon, which is associated with water due to controlling the tides. Finally, its animal symbolism, if its in the same boat as Solgaleo and Lunala's appearances, Marshadow may be shaped into something resembling a killer whale and/or a shark, representing aquatic-bound animals, with the latter fitting a lot with the other meaning of Mar, which translates into "To spoil or damage". The latter meaning would go well with the meaning of the Dark Type, which as we all know, is to bring harm, destruction, playing unfair, etc, whereas the Ghost type represents darkness/night, thus fitting the definition of eclipses. However, if this Legendary ends up being a Shark for the most part, it could be perhaps inspired by Kamihoalii, the Hawaiian shark god. For the rest, the Legendary, in question, would represent/be the emissary and/or the cause of Eclipses.

Links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_mare
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_eclipse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamohoalii

Edit:
Interesting discovery I just made now. Being curious, I looked up the word "Sha" and discovered that the word is chinese for "Shark". The word "Sha" just so happens to be a part of "Marshadow" . Of course, this may be a stretch, so think of it what you will.

http://dictionary.hantrainerpro.com/chinese-english/translation-sha_shark.htm

Last edited:

sheld999

That makes a lot of sense. More, according to the wikipedia page of Lunar Mares, or Lunar Maria, the word Maria means "Seas". As such, maybe its so that Marshadow is either a Dark/Water orGhost/Water legendary. In addition, seeing as Solgaleo and Lunala are represented by a lion and bat respectively, I can see Marshadow likely being based on a killer whale and/or a shark, that is if my guess of a potential Water/Dark or Water/Ghost type is true, especially if its supposed to beat both Solgaleo and Lunala respectively. In addition, seeing as the Moon is associated with Water, a Water-type would make sense thematically. Another possible type could be Psychic/Dark, as to match with the Psychic typing of Solgaleo and Lunala respectively.

Regardless, if it works out, that would mean that Solgaleo, Lunala and Marshadow symbolically represent certain animals specialized living in the three main natural layers of Nature, each in the following ways:

Solgaleo - Land (Sun):
First off, Steel is a metal, and metals in general, such as iron are derived from the earth. Also, Lions are land-bound animals, and are often represented by the sun in various mythologies and cultures. More, being the emissary of the Sun, it also represents Daytime.

Lunala - Sky (Moon):
Even though Lunala isn't part Flying-type, its still a airborne creature, and being part Ghost type as such, it specifically represents the night/moonlit sky, and bats are flight-bound nocturnal animals. Represents the Moon, which is a symbol of the night. As such, being a emissary of the Moon, it represents Nighttime

Marshadow - Sea (Eclipse):
Mainly due to the word "Mar" being possibly derived the term of Lunar Mares, which in turn is derived from Maria, which is Latin for "Seas", explaining the idea of Marshadow possibly being part Water-type (or Psychic type to match the space theme). In turn, it represents the natural phenomena of eclipses, both of which are caused by the Moon, which is associated with water due to controlling the tides. Finally, its animal symbolism, if its in the same boat as Solgaleo and Lunala's appearances, Marshadow may be shaped into something resembling a killer whale and/or a shark, representing aquatic-bound animals, with the latter fitting a lot with the other meaning of Mar, which translates into "To spoil or damage". The latter meaning would go well with the meaning of the Dark Type, which as we all know, is to bring harm, destruction, playing unfair, etc, whereas the Ghost type represents darkness/night, thus fitting the definition of eclipses. However, if this Legendary ends up being a Shark for the most part, it could be perhaps inspired by Kamihoalii, the Hawaiian shark god. For the rest, the Legendary, in question, would represent/be the emissary and/or the cause of Eclipses.

Links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_mare
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale

Edit:
Interesting discovery I just made now. Being curious, I looked up the word "Sha" and discovered that the word is chinese for "Shark". The word "Sha" just so happens to be a part of "Marshadow" . Of course, this may be a stretch, so think of it what you will.

http://dictionary.hantrainerpro.com/chinese-english/translation-sha_shark.htm

a shark legendary will be awesome still

B. Thunder Tiger

a shark legendary will be awesome still

It is, and if Marshadow is truly related to Solgaleo and Lunala, it makes a nice reference to the three main layers of nature. Just to put my case on point though, my idea isn't about representing them as embodiments of the sea, sky and land. Rather, its about how all three celestial-themed legendaries, if my theory were true, would be based on animals that correlate/specialize to one of those three layers of the material world, nothing more or less, regardless of their typing.

That said, I did some more digging for what I think Marshadow could really be, and I came up with some interesting discoveries. First off, most people are theorizing that Marshadow may be based on the planet of Mars. However, there's also the idea that Marshadow is based on the Eclipse phenomena, but as anyone knows, Mars isn't related with eclipses, nor causes them. That said, I myself think that Marshadow may be based on both the planet and the phenomena in question. How does this work you ask? Easy.

Starting off, Eclipses come in two varieties, the first being a Solar Eclipse which is caused by the moon moving into the light of the sun, blocking it. The other variant, a Lunar Eclipse is when the Moon moves into the shadow of the Earth. Now, the latter is the key here, for when a Lunar Eclipse occurs, the moon itself goes from white to blood brownish red. Planet Mars in turn, is known as the Red Planet. As such, I think Marshadow represents Mars through the Lunar Eclipse variant as the reddish moon becomes similar looking to Mars's own color, thus may be mistaken for Mars. In fact, the name "Marshadow" pretty much hints to this through its name, which is made up from the following parts.

Mar, Mars, Sha, and Shadow, - each of these words has a certain purpose and meaning in mind, and may explain why I think GF went with the name "Marshadow" in question:

Mar:
As Wulava pointed out earlier, the word "Mar" may refer to the Lunar Mares, or otherwise the dark shadowy spots on the moon that are mistaken for oceanic bodies, hence why they're called "Lunar Mares", with Mar being derived from the word "Maria", which means "Seas" in Latin. This is what originally made me think Marshadow could be Water-type. Additionally, another meaning for the word "Mar", is that its old english for meaning "to spoil" and/or "to damage", both of which are things associated with the Dark-Type.

Mars:
Represents the planet of Mars, which is often known as the Red Planet, due to its reddish-brown color. Mars as a planet, in mythology, is often associated with Mars, the Roman God of War, but this can also include Nergal, the babylonian god of war, fire and destruction. This fits because in Chinese mythology, Mars is associated with the element of Fire. Closing off, however, is that Mars, as the Red Planet, looks pretty similar to the Lunar Eclipse in appearance, which makes the moon look reddish as the Red Planet itself, being mistaken for Mars.

Sha:
The word "Sha" on its own may not mean much, and indeed it doesn't. However, being curious myself, I looked it up anyways, and discovered that the word is Chinese for meaning "Shark". It is what made me think that Marshadow's design, if its indeed related to the other two titular Legendaries, may/could be based on a aquatic creature, that being the shark, thus completing the Land/Sky/Sea Creature Design theme of the Legendaries. While I, at first, thought this could justify a Water-type, this doesn't have to be the case, nor do I longer think its the case of such. That said, however, this whole part of the word may be a stretch on its own, so take it as how you will.

Shadow:
The term "Shadow" relates to darkened areas that aren't reached by light, yet are caused by it at the same time, the darkened areas providing shelter from the light. This may refer to the Lunar Mares on the moon, a.k.a the dark spots on the celestial object's surface. In full effect, however, it also represent the darkness provided by the eclipse phenomena, mainly the Solar Eclipse, where it appears the sun gets blotted out by the moon, turning it black from a visual standpoint.

Verdict:
Putting all of these pieces together, my final guess is that Marshadow represents both Mars, as well the Lunar Mares of the moon, as well both varieties of the Eclipse phenomena. For a animal design theme, I'm putting my bets on the idea that Marshadow is going to be Shark inspired, based on Kamohoaii, the Shark Deity of Hawaiian mythology. Finally, for exact typing, I'd put my final guess that Marshadow will be Psychic/Dark, with the Psychic type being there to match its celestial theme with Solgaleo and Lunala respectively. That said, however, as it has been noted that Marshadow is rumored to have a unique typing, its possible that maybe Marshadow could be the first Triple Type, which is pretty unique Legendary wise. If so, perhaps Marshadow's type could be "Psychic/Dark/Fire" type, seeing as many people before me speculated a Dark/Fire combination for Marshadow, but that wouldn't fit with the celestial theme unless Psychic was included as well.

Mythology role:
For mythology in Pokémon Sun/Moon lore, I can see Marshadow being venerated as some fearsome shark-like deity Pokémon that appears during any of the two eclipses, being described as the entity that brings despair and chaos whenever it appears. Like how Solgaleo and Lunala each have a unique title, Marshadow's role would gain the same thing, which in this case, it would be nicknamed fittingly as The Beast that preys on the Heavens (the word "heaven" relates to outer space). This would fit because Marshadow would literally black out/prey on the heavens themselves by causing the eclipse phenomena, thus explaining why it may represent the Eclipse, with the Lunar Eclipse making the Moon appear like Planet Mars.

Titles:
Solgaleo - The Beast that devours the Sun
Lunala - The Beast that calls the Moon
Marshadow - The Beast that preys the Heavens (outer space)

Links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_in_culture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse

Last edited:

TyLogic

You know Marshadow's "unique typing"? I've thought this for a while but I saw some "leak" that got me thinking it again.

What if Marshadow is a dual-typed pokemon of the same type. Like Fire-Fire or Dark-Dark. I actually see it as a possibility.

Aetius

You know Marshadow's "unique typing"? I've thought this for a while but I saw some "leak" that got me thinking it again.

What if Marshadow is a dual-typed pokemon of the same type. Like Fire-Fire or Dark-Dark. I actually see it as a possibility.

That wouldn't make any sense. XD
I think that it's more like an unused combination of two types.
Psychic/Poison would be one for example. :D

clbgolden12

Someone actually had this theory a few pages ago. It'd be weird yet still unique if it's actually the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.