• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetius

So, what are the theories on Necrozma?
To me, its cry terribly resembles those of Cosmog and Cosmoem....
Could it be another evolution?
But if that were the case, Necrozma would be appear right next to Cosmoem...
Hmmmm....hmmmmm.

BCVM22

Pokédex position shouldn't necessarily be taken beyond face value. Neither Giratina or Kyurem are next to their paired counterparts in their regional Pokédexes or their sections of the National Pokédex.

Ultimately, the discussion is probably best served to leave the myriad and uneven theories outside, beyond what the game makes obvious about Necrozma.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So, what are the theories on Necrozma?
To me, its cry terribly resembles those of Cosmog and Cosmoem....
Could it be another evolution?
But if that were the case, Necrozma would be appear right next to Cosmoem...
Hmmmm....hmmmmm.

The games seem to stress the fact that it seems to be an Ultra Beast, and one of it's Pokedex descriptions describe it as having come from another world long ago. In this way it is extremely similar to Solgaleo and Lunala. My guess is it had some sort of relationship with them in Ultra Space before they came to the Pokemon World. Another Pokedex description also makes note that it essentially feeds off of light, of which both the Sun and Moon are sources of, so this owuld infer the relationship is either symbiotic or adversarial. That's all we really have to go off of right now.

Speaking of Nocrozma, I was kind of bugged that appeared as a random encounter in grass, as opposed to meeting it in the overworld. I've always felt like half the fun of fighting a Legendary Pokemon is seeing it stand before you right before you fight it. I guess they just didn't want to go through the work of making it an overworld model. Honestly, that seems kind of lazy, but whatever.

BCVM22

Honestly, that seems kind of lazy, but whatever.

Or, it fits better with Looker's description of having seen it flying around, and makes the encounter more suspenseful and less out of place. A beast of Necrozma's twisted visage would look rather odd sitting there in the open in the peaceful canyon meadow at the back of the Hill, waiting for you.

"Lazy" isn't always the answer. Scratch that - it's almost never the sole answer.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Or, it fits better with Looker's description of having seen it flying around, and makes the encounter more suspenseful and less out of place. A beast of Necrozma's twisted visage would look rather odd sitting there in the open in the peaceful canyon meadow at the back of the Hill, waiting for you.

"Lazy" isn't always the answer. Scratch that - it's almost never the sole answer.

Eh, I'm not sure I can fully agree with your reasoning, but whatever, it's not that big of a deal.

BlitzGirl41

I just caught Necrozma yesterday (took four Beast Balls), and to me it is an Ultra Beast. I mean, just look at it: It's physical appearance matches the craziness of the other UBs in the games. Solgaleo and Lunala, while having aspects of "machines" (to me. They look like they do have metal in their design), they feel wayy more natural than any UB. Necrozma looked like a collection of black crystals. But, this is just my personal opinion. I actually had to look it up online to find where to catch it.

I almost don't want to evolve my Cosmog. It's just too cute, even if I will never use it. But it may be one of the only non-headachy ways to give my friend a Lunala, and vica-versa (he has Sun).

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I just caught Necrozma yesterday (took four Beast Balls), and to me it is an Ultra Beast. I mean, just look at it: It's physical appearance matches the craziness of the other UBs in the games. Solgaleo and Lunala, while having aspects of "machines" (to me. They look like they do have metal in their design), they feel wayy more natural than any UB. Necrozma looked like a collection of black crystals. But, this is just my personal opinion. I actually had to look it up online to find where to catch it.

To be fair, looking like an Ultra Beast is a purposeful part of its design. That's why Looker mistakes it for one. Its Pokedex description also specifically mentions this.

BlitzGirl41

To be fair, looking like an Ultra Beast is a purposeful part of its design. That's why Looker mistakes it for one. Its Pokedex description also specifically mentions this.

Well, it still doesn't feel like a Pokemon "Legendary" to me at all. And I don't view Ultra Beasts as "Legendaries". Legendaries and Mythical Pokemon have really disappointed me ever since D/P - I just can't bring myself to enjoy their designs. However, Solgaleo and Lunala do look great and have grown on me. The last good Legendary designs, for me, were Groudon, Rayquaza, Lugia, Ho-Oh, the Legendary Birds, and the Legendary Beasts. Everything else looks "dumb" or like a cyborg or machine.

Aetius

The games seem to stress the fact that it seems to be an Ultra Beast, and one of it's Pokedex descriptions describe it as having come from another world long ago. In this way it is extremely similar to Solgaleo and Lunala. My guess is it had some sort of relationship with them in Ultra Space before they came to the Pokemon World. Another Pokedex description also makes note that it essentially feeds off of light, of which both the Sun and Moon are sources of, so this owuld infer the relationship is either symbiotic or adversarial. That's all we really have to go off of right now.

Speaking of Nocrozma, I was kind of bugged that appeared as a random encounter in grass, as opposed to meeting it in the overworld. I've always felt like half the fun of fighting a Legendary Pokemon is seeing it stand before you right before you fight it. I guess they just didn't want to go through the work of making it an overworld model. Honestly, that seems kind of lazy, but whatever.

I sure hope that the relationship between it and the other legendaries will be explained someday, because it really intrigues me the fact that all of them come from the Ultra Space. :D
As for meeting it in the grass like any other Pokèmon, well, I think that we couldn't have expected anything better honestly, besides Necrozma seems to be avoiding any kind of contact with the populace...
I wonder if it's aggressive in order to not let anyone come closer to it...
And that animation when it powers up....it almost looks like it's suffering...

Azery

Well, it still doesn't feel like a Pokemon "Legendary" to me at all. And I don't view Ultra Beasts as "Legendaries". Legendaries and Mythical Pokemon have really disappointed me ever since D/P - I just can't bring myself to enjoy their designs. However, Solgaleo and Lunala do look great and have grown on me. The last good Legendary designs, for me, were Groudon, Rayquaza, Lugia, Ho-Oh, the Legendary Birds, and the Legendary Beasts. Everything else looks "dumb" or like a cyborg or machine.

Whether you view UB's as legendaries or not, the game does classify them as minor legendaries(on the same tier as the dogs/birds). It being incredibly strange-looking is likely an intentional design choice, after all it is an Ultra-Beast. That being said, I feel like it might be what would have happened to Cosmoem had it lost all of it's energy; after all it has Necro in its name which implies some sort of connection with death. Very interested in where they'll go with this.

BlitzGirl41

Whether you view UB's as legendaries or not, the game does classify them as minor legendaries(on the same tier as the dogs/birds). It being incredibly strange-looking is likely an intentional design choice, after all it is an Ultra-Beast. That being said, I feel like it might be what would have happened to Cosmoem had it lost all of it's energy; after all it has Necro in its name which implies some sort of connection with death. Very interested in where they'll go with this.

Cosmoem has too many rounded, soft shapes to be related to Necrozma. Why can't it be as simple as Necrozma being its own thing? The simplest answer is often the most likely. At least elements of Cosmoem's design actually are apparent in Solgaleo and Lunala.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Cosmoem has too many rounded, soft shapes to be related to Necrozma. Why can't it be as simple as Necrozma being its own thing? The simplest answer is often the most likely. At least elements of Cosmoem's design actually are apparent in Solgaleo and Lunala.
But Necrozma quite obviously has a relation to Solgaleo and Lunala, so I'd expect it to evolve from the same line.

Azery

Necrozma is clearly the 3rd legendary of the group, there's no question about that. It's a fact. Considering Cosmoem evolves into either Lunala or Solgaleo depending on the version, and taking into account the connection those two have with Necrozma(They follow a theme of Radiation, Reflection and Refraction, which is apparent in Solgaleo, Lunala and Necrozma, in that order.)it wouldn't be farfetch'd to say that Necrozma is in some way related to Cosmoem.

Here's something intriguing, a shiny Minior's colours are the EXACT same as the ones that appear on Necrozma....

BlitzGirl41

Necrozma is clearly the 3rd legendary of the group, there's no question about that. It's a fact. Considering Cosmoem evolves into either Lunala or Solgaleo depending on the version, and taking into account the connection those two have with Necrozma(They follow a theme of Radiation, Reflection and Refraction, which is apparent in Solgaleo, Lunala and Necrozma, in that order.)it wouldn't be farfetch'd to say that Necrozma is in some way related to Cosmoem.

Here's something intriguing, a shiny Minior's colours are the EXACT same as the ones that appear on Necrozma....

I'm speaking purely about DESIGN. DESIGN-wise, i see no relation whatsover to Cosmog/Cosmoem/Solgaleo/Lunala and Necrozma. None. Nocrozma looks more like Celesteela than anything else. But if you like Necrozma, good for you. I am free to despise the designs of all UBs and Necrozma. UBs/Necrozma are the only things I hate about S/M. I blew through the post game because I didn't care about them.

goodpeople25

While I think the connection is pretty clear and that it's not really a natural evo I wouldn't really expect it to look like cosmog and it's evo anyway. (I think an in between form is possible to cover that, do you have any ideas of how/if that would work' Blitzgirl41?) being split off of just cosmog evo I think is a bit of a jump, why not "dead" box legends? (That might actually fit the backstory a bit better but then it might not)

Azery

Might have missed that, my bad. From a pure design standpoint, I'd agree with you honestly, there's absolutely no resemblance(Though at this point, the third legendary being extremely odd looking is more of a confirmation that it's getting another form.)

Just being curious here, while I don't care for most of the Ultra Beasts aside from Buzzwole and I guess Xurkitree myself(If only for the extremely clever name. )why do you hate the Ultra Beasts?

BlitzGirl41

Might have missed that, my bad. From a pure design standpoint, I'd agree with you honestly, there's absolutely no resemblance(Though at this point, the third legendary being extremely odd looking is more of a confirmation that it's getting another form.)

Just being curious here, while I don't care for most of the Ultra Beasts aside from Buzzwole and I guess Xurkitree myself(If only for the extremely clever name. )why do you hate the Ultra Beasts?

Personally, if Necrozma is indeed the "third" Legendary that most games get, I don't see why it can't be its own standalone Pokemon. There's nothing that claims it must have come from a Cosmog. Solgaleo and Lunala just set a new precedent for having evolutionary lines. Necrozma may just fall outside of that, but still be considered the third Legendary.

Not a fan of their designs, plain and simple. Pokemon has always been about aesthetics to me. I always pick my team based not only on what type they are, but how they actually look. I just personally find the UBs to be the worst-designed "Pokemon" to date, regardless on whether it was intentional or not. I'm glad that finding and catching them in the post game was easily done in one evening, so I could put it behind me (but then I wish I could start the game over to experience the story and characters all over again :'( ).

Azery

Personally, if Necrozma is indeed the "third" Legendary that most games get, I don't see why it can't be its own standalone Pokemon. There's nothing that claims it must have come from a Cosmog. Solgaleo and Lunala just set a new precedent for having evolutionary lines. Necrozma may just fall outside of that, but still be considered the third Legendary.

Not a fan of their designs, plain and simple. Pokemon has always been about aesthetics to me. I always pick my team based not only on what type they are, but how they actually look. I just personally find the UBs to be the worst-designed "Pokemon" to date, regardless on whether it was intentional or not. I'm glad that finding and catching them in the post game was easily done in one evening, so I could put it behind me (but then I wish I could start the game over to experience the story and characters all over again :'( ).

That's a good point you bring up; most of these assumptions are based on the idea that the 3rd legend is very connected to the 2 other members, and considering gen 7 is breaking a lot of trends, It wouldn't be farfetch'd(Heh)for it to not be for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.