• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Not really. When Steel and Dark-Type were introduced they only changed a few things. Magnemite and Magneton's Type, Bite became a Dark-Type move and that's really it. I could be mistaken though. Also, who said they have to change anything besides the type match ups? Why would they need to change the types of prior moves?

They only changed a few things because Pokemon only had a few things. There are so many more Pokemon and moves now, it would require major re-balancing now to make it all work correctly. If GameFreak just wanted to add new types 'for the sake of adding one' (read: torturing themselves) they would have done so by now, when it was easier.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I just realized why the rainbow deer thing looked so familiar to me; it reminds me of the creature that was on the cover art for Pokemon Jade. Looks like GameFreak took some notes from Princess Mononoke. Oh well. I eagerly await the other Legendary Pokemon. I just hope we don't get a repeat of the Kami Trio.

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
RE adding new types Gamefreak have said in interviews that they don't really have any intention of doing so because of all the work involved, the only reason Dark and Steel were added was to combat existing types which had too much of an advantage, namely Psychic.

Oh yeah, makes sense! Maybe they'll surprise us but yeah maybe not lol!

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
Could the Y legendary be based off Yatagarasu the three-legged crow. If so I'm thinking fire/flying typing since Yatagarasu is believed to represent the sun in some cultures.

Cornwad

I don't know, the chromosome theory doesn't make much sense to me.

As far as I'm concerned the X and Y are stylized because they didn't just want to slap colored letters on there, they wanted to make it slightly stylish. XYZ, actually makes sense in the context of what the game was shown to be about.

How do you get Chromosome when the games are in full 3D, and the legends represent X,Y, which would mean that there would likely be representation of Z, for the 3 dimensional field of X, Y, Z.

DNA would make sense for Pokémon however, I won't deny that, I'll give that to you. Just seems awkward to do it in this particular sense.

Maybe they won't have a Z? They could always do Pokemon X and Y 2. And it's not like X and Y are the only chromosomes, they can always find a gray area between the two. Though while I initially thought chromosomes at first glance, I agree that dimensions makes a lot of sense too.

Cornwad

The rainbow stuff is interesting though, because that's definitely DNA in the logo, and Deoxys has been associated with auroras too, which are rainbow in color. Maybe its a bit of both? You can't really design Pokemon out of coordinates, so they turned to another popular X and Y.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
They only changed a few things because Pokemon only had a few things. There are so many more Pokemon and moves now, it would require major re-balancing now to make it all work correctly. If GameFreak just wanted to add new types 'for the sake of adding one' (read: torturing themselves) they would have done so by now, when it was easier.

I still don't see how it would require MAJOR re-balancing. They don't have to change the Typing of any previous Pokemon or moves. They could just add new Moves and new Pokemon or evolution's with said Typing(s). The only thing that would REQUIRE changing is the Type match-ups. Besides this is a new Gen, meaning new possibilities. Maybe back then they might not have added a new Type(s) but may do so now. There are so may undiscovered Pokemon surely not all of them fall into the category of only those 17 typing's.

G-SANtos

Z is the logical third Pokemon to come, so long as no surprises happen, which who knows anymore. Although it seems DNA is meant to be the theme(Or at least part of it) for them, and I don't think "Z" has any part in that so not sure really.
Not every species has X and Y chromosomes. Ducks (or was it another bird?), for example have W and Z. Maybe we could get W and Z as sequels to X and Y? This way we would have four dimensions: X, Y, and Z for space, and W for time, not sure if any scientific theory actually uses the name "W dimension", but that's the term I'm using here.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I still don't see how it would require MAJOR re-balancing. They don't have to change the Typing of any previous Pokemon or moves. They could just add new Moves and new Pokemon or evolution's with said Typing(s). The only thing that would REQUIRE changing is the Type match-ups. Besides this is a new Gen, meaning new possibilities. Maybe back then they might not have added a new Type(s) but may do so now. There are so may undiscovered Pokemon surely not all of them fall into the category of only those 17 typing's.

I'm not carrying on this conversation any more, maybe someday when you're older you'll understand why you can't just do whatever you want.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The rainbow stuff is interesting though, because that's definitely DNA in the logo, and Deoxys has been associated with auroras too, which are rainbow in color. Maybe its a bit of both? You can't really design Pokemon out of coordinates, so they turned to another popular X and Y.

XY has many meanings.
These legendaries aside from being based on DNAs, are also possibly based on the dimensional plane.

X being a land Pokemon. Y being a sky Pokemon.
Notice that x-axis (horizontal) could represent the lands, and y-axis (vertical) could represent the air.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
XY has many meanings.
These legendaries aside from being based on DNAs, are also possibly based on the dimensional plane.

Notice that x-axis (horizontal) could represent the lands, and y-axis (vertical) could represent the air.

In digital 3D worlds Z is your height, provided I'm remembering my modelling correctly.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
I'm not carrying on this conversation any more, maybe someday when you're older you'll understand why you can't just do whatever you want.

I'm 16 soon to be 17, surely I'm old enough to understand that in some cases you can. But if you wanna end this debate then fine.

Cornwad

XY has many meanings.

Yeah, that sounds pretty logical to me. They're going all out on those double meanings, especially since the X and Y legendaries seem to be feminine and masculine, respectively. Maybe Z is just going to be popping out towards the screen all the time or something, like with lots of spikes.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I can see the comparisons to Dialga that people are making to X, if only for X's stoicism and sleek design from toe to tip.

My personal favorite is X, because I prefer more graceful and sleek designs in Pokemon, like Fennekin, for example. Y is equally impressive for a Pokemon design though, and I think if the final evolutions of these starters indicate the right direction in Pokemon design, I have extremely high hopes for this generation's line of Pokemon.

Emily101

Froakie Trainer

Terrible reply, I was enjoying your guy's conversation until this comment. You should take it back. It's just a discussion, don't get butt hurt.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
If I'm not mistaken, X is length/width. Y is height. Z is depth.

You're totally right, I was just remembering incorrectly again.

So then we could say that both mascot X and Y represent their respective coordinates.

Terrible reply, I was enjoying your guy's conversation until this comment. You should take it back. It's just a discussion, don't get butt hurt.

I've done this too many times, I don't have the time or care to argue with someone who can only see what they want, and not what is realistic. Anyone can make a wishlist, just because someone wants it does not mean it is going to happen, or even should happen.

arawn

How about the Y bird will be Flying/Poison and the X deer will be Grass/Psychic . They balanced each other .
And i think Y is very badass . It has deadly vibe with it . And the X is more peaceful than Y . It has the lively vibe with it .

Status
Not open for further replies.