• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLADEDGE

loves a puzzle
will we see a all female Trio?

Colegoco

Striking Swampert
I had an idea:

So, for the most part we've decided that Xerneas is the Spirit of the Forest that protects the tree of life, and Yevital is the Bird that guards the tree. According to the myth there is a third serpent creature that chews on the roots of the tree.

BUT

Who says that that has to be the 3rd in the trio? The 3rd pokemon could actually be a form of the tree itself, or whatever is inside the tree.

This could lead into a plot where the evil team is trying to awaken the serpent (Like how Arceus was the 4th to that trio), to use it to weaken the tree to a point where they can use it to create a new, perfect pokemon. Then, they loose control of the serpent, and the world begins to decay and you have to stop it.

Just a thought.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I had an idea:

So, for the most part we've decided that Xerneas is the Spirit of the Forest that protects the tree of life, and Yevital is the Bird that guards the tree. According to the myth there is a third serpent creature that chews on the roots of the tree.

BUT

Who says that that has to be the 3rd in the trio? The 3rd pokemon could actually be a form of the tree itself, or whatever is inside the tree.

This could lead into a plot where the evil team is trying to awaken the serpent (Like how Arceus was the 4th to that trio), to use it to weaken the tree to a point where they can use it to create a new, perfect pokemon. Then, they loose control of the serpent, and the world begins to decay and you have to stop it.

Just a thought.

I was actually thinking the opposite of that earlier, with PokéNidhoggr being the third member of the trio and with PokéYggdrasil being the trio's overseer. I think I like that better, because the three creatures draw from the tree, whereas the tree is the source of it all.

Xadium

Poliwhirl Enthusiast
If they do indeed make the third pokemon based on Nidhogg, I wonder how they will interpret him. They'll obviously need to add their own creative twist.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
If they do indeed make the third pokemon based on Nidhogg, I wonder how they will interpret him. They'll obviously need to add their own creative twist.

Early today, I mentioned a serpent-like Pokémon with a helix running across/throughout its body (in keeping with the chromosome theme). I quite like the image of it in my head.

Colegoco

Striking Swampert
One more comment: There's a total of five aspects here:

The Stag
The Squirrel
The Eagle
The Serpent
The Tree

Each of these could correspond to the legendaries in this generation, so three main ones and two off-shoots (The Squirrel probably being one, as it is the messenger) and having the Serpent possibly the the Antagonist, rather than an evil team, you know, changing it up a bit. Lastly, the tree could be the third pokemon in the trio, and we could have a story that is only partially resolved in X/Y and we need Z to finish it?

EDIT: Another possibility is that the evil team Admins and Gym Leaders/Elite Four could all have names derived from the evil/good Norse Gods?

EDIT 2: OR, we could all be wrong, and it could be the Genetics thing or something else. A Stag and a Wyvern/Bird Thing really could be a lot of things.

Last edited:

Shraeder

It's Lit

The Stag
The Squirrel
The Eagle
The Serpent
The Tree

Each of these could correspond to the legendaries in this generation, so three main ones and two off-shoots (The Squirrel probably being one, as it is the messenger) and having the Serpent possibly the the Antagonist, rather than an evil team, you know, changing it up a bit. Lastly, the tree could be the third pokemon in the trio, and we could have a story that is only partially resolved in X/Y and we need Z to finish it?

EDIT: Another possibility is that the evil team Admins and Gym Leaders/Elite Four could all have names derived from the evil/good Norse Gods?

EDIT 2: OR, we could all be wrong, and it could be the Genetics thing or something else. A Stag and a Wyvern/Bird Thing really could be a lot of things.

Maybe the Squirrel will be the "pixie" of this gen? I could see the Tree being like Arceus where it looks over the trio.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Maybe the Squirrel will be the "pixie" of this gen? I could see the Tree being like Arceus where it looks over the trio.

I personally want to the Tree to be a story element and not a Pokemon, but that's just me.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.

The Stag
The Squirrel
The Eagle
The Serpent
The Tree

I really don't feel Yggdrasil being an actual Pokémon. It would do better being just a story element. I really can't picture a tree pokémon without it being extremelly silly.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Mystic Flygon

I really don't feel Yggdrasil being an actual Pokémon. It would do better being just a story element. I really can't picture a tree pokémon without it being extremelly silly.

Sudowoodo, Abomasnow, and Exeggutor say hi.

Colegoco

Striking Swampert
I personally want to the Tree to be a story element and not a Pokemon, but that's just me.

I think it's likely the Squirrel will be the Pixie of this gen...

IDEA HAS CHURNED:

Player starts out in home town, and sees a squirrel, meets professor, asks about it, they don't know, but think it may be... nevermind. They continue the journey, and the Squirrel always appears in or around a place where the Serpent is influencing people as its minions (the evil team).

Eventually, you learn that they have captured one of the two guardians of the great Tree Pokemon (Grass/Ground maybe), the one of your game game, and are going to sacrifice it to the great Serpent. The Squirrel takes you to the tree, where the guardian mascot of the opposite game appears, and picks you up, taking you to where it is being held. You fight through the evil team, and battle your mascot, which is angry and has turned against you. You have two options, KO or Catch. After that, the leader of the teach laughs, and captures the other pokemon. Cutscene where the Legendary Serpent comes out of the ground, and the just KOed or Caught pokemon knocks it out of the way, saving them both. You then have to defeat the Serpent as the final battle, which is a tripple battle where the Squirrel, you, and the opposite legend all right the Serpent, which is defeated for now. You go to the tree and the other guardian returns and thanks you, and says he will send the squirrel if he ever needs his partner if you captured it, or they are both there.

Pokemon Z, the Serpent has awoken again, and the region is dying. One of the guardians has gone missing, and the other has been captured by a new ground of villains. In this game, unlike the last, the team takes control of the Serpent, and has used it to capture the Pokemon that lives within the Tree. The quirrel once again guides you, and you are able to capture the serpent this time around. Post Game adds an additional storyline where you must find the Squirrel and X and Y, who awaken the tree for battle and capture.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Well, those three are kinda silly... in a good way of course. But if there were going to be an Yggdrasil Pokémon, I would want it to be more serious and wise-looking. Although I certainly think that such a thing is doable.

Last edited:

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
I also would prefer for PokéYggdrasil to be a story element and NOT a pokemon. It's a giant, important tree in Norse Mythos, why would you spoil such a great plot element by making it a Pokémon? I do agree that Pokémon Z will be the Nidhoggr, since it make the most sense, it could actually play a Giratina-role in the games. I figure in Pokémon X the evil team uses Xerneas to take control of PokéYggdrasil while in Pokémon Y the vil team uses Yveltal to take control of PokéYggdrasil. Then in Pokémon Z the evil team can use Z****** to take control of PokéYggdrasil but Xerneas and Yveltal both step in to stop the evil team. Sort of like DPPt but I like it.

EDIT: Then we could have Ratatoskr, the Squirrel, would be the 'Pixie' of Gen 6 but please GF, make it cute, but male.

We could have a duo based on the ravens of Odin, Huginn and Muninn.

We could also have another duo, maybe trio with another member, based around Fenrir and Jormungandr.

Last edited:

Mystic Flygon

Well, those three are all a little silly... in a good way of course. But if there were going to be an Yggdrasil Pokémon, I would want it to be more serious and wise-looking. Although I certainly think that such a thing is doable.

When he said silly I think he meant: A stupid idea, similar to how people reacted to garbador and vanillite.

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.

Imagine them as a legendary. They work because they aren't supposed to look threatening or imposing. Think of how a tree pokémon would look alongside Yveltal and Xerneas. It wouldn't quite fit, I'm thinking. But, then again, that's just my opinion!

Colegoco

Striking Swampert
I've sort-of imagined the Tree Pokemon as two forms, one tank form that's agiant quadruped tree (root feet) with branches as arms sticking out of the side, and at the top of the trun ar two eyes as hollows, and it's really big. The other form is a Speed/Special Attack Celebi-like Pokemon.

Also, no reply to my story idea?

Last edited:

RoyalTenrou

Intrigued Trainer
A couple of thoughts :

Jormungandr probably by itself would not be used for the 'Z' pokemon, simply because it is always in the shape of an 'O' (lol I know silly reason but has not been mentioned). If I was making a game and picking a legend to represent the letter 'Z', I would not pick a pokemon that couldn't ever be in the shape of a 'Z' without ending the world lololol (Edit Sidenote: Also Jormungandr is not part of the Yggdrasil mythos, whereas the more likely candadate, Nidhogr, is)

Yggdrasil : There have been tree-related Pokemon before, yes. There's even been a pokemon to represent the entire world, albeit in small form (Torterra). Whether they create a pokemon to represent the tree of life or some aspect of it, I cannot say. I do think it would be silly though simply because of the sheer scale of it in the myths, it basically stretches across the entire universe. I don't predict one pokemon representing all of that, but who knows lol. I am all for the story element idea, and the fact that the trainer is hopping around a GIANT TREE in the trailer is proof enough for me of that idea, at this stage.

New Typings : I am surprised to see this theory still around so many years after it was first introduced, but I really enjoy reading about it haha. My curiosity and wonderment at the possibility of new types gets me pumped up every generation and they never realise them, but its a fun thought. I had never heard the theory of a sound type before, and I think that stretches the boundaries of plausibility way too far, and opens the floodgate of typing possibilities to just about anything. Light type is the oldest theory, and if you view it 'Holy' instead of light as the opposition to the Japanese 'Evil' type, then it makes even more sense, considering a number of traditional elemental systems incorporated a 'Holy' or 'Heavenly' element the same way that 'Void' is (being the absence of anything, analogous to evil in many philosophical structures). That is by no means proof that it will or will not be incorporated into the battle system. The battle system structure as it currently stands is also no means to prove or disprove a new typing. Only GameFreak can decide. But in the meantime, it is fun to speculate - just remember to keep it to the realm of maybe rather than definitely :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.