• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
It's a possibility...but...
...most people have been predicting that this Gen's pixie will be based on Ratatoskr, a squirrel that lives in Yggdrasil. So a squirrel being the offspring of a stag and an eagle wouldn't make much sense.

On a side note, X representing female and Xerneas being based on a stag wouldn't really work out if they made Xerneas female. I know that, at least, female reindeer can have antlers, but only Stags can have antlers and they are only male.

I'd say Xerneas and Yveltal are conventionally genderless. However, they should just represent male and female chromosomes rather than be those genders.

I've also noticed something. If these are supposed to repesent DNA, then could there be a Pokémon representing rNA? RNA copies DNA in mitosis, so this Pokémon can copy DNA of any Pokémon it wants. Maybe GameFreak makes the Ratatoskr the rNA Pokémon in which it can turn into any Pokémon it wants at will. This Pokémon would differ from Zorua and Zoroark in being able to change into both genders of a Pokémon. Furthermore, the rNA Ratatoskr differs from Kyurem and its formes in the way it does not look like a fusion of two Pokémon (although that would be awesome if it did!).

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
I'd say Xerneas and Yveltal are conventionally genderless. However, they should just represent male and female chromosomes rather than be those genders.

I've also noticed something. If these are supposed to repesent DNA, then could there be a Pokémon representing rNA? RNA copies DNA in mitosis, so this Pokémon can copy DNA of any Pokémon it wants. Maybe GameFreak makes the Ratatoskr the rNA Pokémon in which it can turn into any Pokémon it wants at will. This Pokémon would differ from Zorua and Zoroark in being able to change into both genders of a Pokémon. Furthermore, the rNA Ratatoskr differs from Kyurem and its formes in the way it does not look like a fusion of two Pokémon (although that would be awesome if it did!).

I like the idea a lot. So here's some ideas for the pixies: based on Ratatoskr, Psychic/Grass, based on RNA, can turn itself into other Pokémon at will (although that is kind of like Ditto, maybe it can just learn Transform), name could be WXXXXX (since it could be based off of the W chromosome, possibly).

Hrodvitnir

It's a possibility...but...
...most people have been predicting that this Gen's pixie will be based on Ratatoskr, a squirrel that lives in Yggdrasil. So a squirrel being the offspring of a stag and an eagle wouldn't make much sense.

On a side note, X representing female and Xerneas being based on a stag wouldn't really work out if they made Xerneas female. I know that, at least, female reindeer can have antlers, but only Stags can have antlers and they are only male.

As a disclaimer, although I've been keeping up with this thread for a couple of days, I haven't attempted to go through it starting at post 1, so if this has been said before, I apologize in advance.

Although it would be pretty cool for there to be Legends based on Norse mythology in a Pokemon game, there really isn't any supporting evidence that these mascots are based on the nameless eagle and the four hart that live on top of Yggdrasil.

Many people, around the web, have been saying that Yveltal's eyes make it appear blind, but I've personally found no supporting evidence in either the Prose or Poetic Edda (where we get our information on Norse mythology) that the eagle is blind, it does however have a hawk that sits between it's eyes.

As far as Xerneas goes, there are four harts (male deer, specifically red deer) that live on Yggdrasil and feed on leaves from its highest bows. But it seems that many, again not specifically here to my knowledge, have tried to link Xerneas, who is very much in the shape of a deer, possibly a stag, to these four stating that these harts have 4 different colored gems or stones amongst them and that Xerneas' antler's have 4 different colors. Again I've not been able to find anything in the either Edda about the four harts being special other than their location and food.

Now to cover how it would be possible for Xerneas to be female, which although is different from how mascot legends have been handled before, being genderless. But Xerneas could be base on the Ceryneian Hind, which although admittedly was golden, was both female (a hind is a female deer, used often in reference to a red or sika deer) and had antlers, which was not something that the Greeks were accustomed to. The Hind was possible based on reindeer (the females have antlers all year long unlike the males that lose theirs outside of mating times). The capture of Ceryneian Hind was one of Hercules 12 labors. The myth some times involves Hercules capturing the Hind after chasing it from Greece to the land of the Hyperborea (a land located north of Thrace, home of Boreas, god of the North wind, today many believe that this is a reference to an area near or in the Arctic Circle.

The similar sounding name, the high chance that the games are related to their matching chromosomes, and the fact that (I'll admit that I may have missed something in my research) there seems to be no actually supporting evidence that either legend is related to a creature in Norse mythology, leads me to believe that Xerneas is more likely based on the Ceryneian Hind than any of the harts on Yggdrasil. I've still been unable to find a possible base for Yveltal, as its or possibly his name has not given me any possible connections to any creatures from mythology.

Last edited:

firnen67

Master of Yveltal
I have an idea regarding the Yggdrasil tree.It could be some kind of portal that takes you to yveltal's, xerneas' or maybe z*******'s worlds.Like giratina's disortion world.

Kanethedragon

Veteran Pokegamer
As a disclaimer, although I've been keeping up with this thread for a couple of days, I haven't attempted to go through it starting at post 1, so if this has been said before, I apologize in advance.

Although it would be pretty cool for there to be Legends based on Norse mythology in a Pokemon game, there really isn't any supporting evidence that these mascots are based on the nameless eagle and the four hart that live on top of Yggdrasil.

Many people, around the web, have been saying that Yveltal's eyes make it appear blind, but I've personally found no supporting evidence in either the Prose or Poetic Edda (where we get our information on Norse mythology) that the eagle is blind, it does however have a hawk that sits between it's eyes.

As far as Xerneas goes, there are four harts (male deer, specifically red deer) that live on Yggdrasil and feed on leaves from its highest bows. But it seems that many, again not specifically here to my knowledge, have tried to link Xerneas, who is very much in the shape of a deer, possibly a stag, to these four stating that these harts have 4 different colored gems or stones amongst them and that Xerneas' antler's have 4 different colors. Again I've not been able to find anything in the either Edda about the four harts being special other than their location and food.

Now to cover how it would be possible for Xerneas to be female, which although is different from how mascot legends have been handled before, being genderless. But Xerneas could be base on the Ceryneian Hind, which although admittedly was golden, was both female (a hind is a female deer, used often in reference to a red or sika deer) and had antlers, which was not something that the Greeks were accustomed to. The Hind was possible based on reindeer (the females have antlers all year long unlike the males that lose theirs outside of mating times). The capture of Ceryneian Hind was one of Hercules 12 labors. The myth some times involves Hercules capturing the Hind after chasing it from Greece to the land of the Hyperborea (a land located north of Thrace, home of Boreas, god of the North wind, today many believe that this is a reference to an area near or in the Arctic Circle.

The similar sounding name, the high chance that the games are related to their matching chromosomes, and the fact that (I'll admit that I may have missed something in my research) there seems to be no actually supporting evidence that either legend is related to a creature in Norse mythology, leads me to believe that Xerneas is more likely based on the Ceryneian Hind than any of the harts on Yggdrasil. I've still been unable to find a possible base for Yveltal, as its or possibly his name has not given me any possible connections to any creatures from mythology.

Nic work there detective Hrod. You just changed what I originally thought by giving an opinion and supporting evidence. Whilst that doesn't fully explain everything (as you said yourself, you found nothing for Yveltal) still pretty good speculation. Now to see what others add to the pot.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

That's probably the biggest problem I have with the Xerneas=Ceryneian Hind theory, there's no direct connection that can be made to a bird. The closest that I can make is that Apollo's (Artemis' brother who was the co-owner of the animal along with him) sacred animal is a crow/hawk/raven which doesn't take a strong part in any myths. Also Pokemon doesn't usually draw their names from their creature of inspiration (for instance Kyogre isn't named after the Leviathan and Landorus isn't named after Inari) so the name could just be coincidence.

Having said that, you do bring up good counterpoints to the Norse theory. I'm not too versed in Norse mythology though so maybe someone who's more familiar with it could clarify some of the presented aspects of the theory.

Last edited:

Elementer

Sword&Element Master
This almost surely has been pointed out before, but I think it's useful to point out that Xerneas and Yveltal are animals that usually have some relation to life and death. Yveltal, as a vulture that, though perhaps a bit unfairly, is still connected to death in many cultures while Xerneas, a stag with fruits/jewels on its horns, is a really good representation of life.

I mean, if you were to design an animal with a connection to life/death, you could hardly do better than the carrion-eating vulture and the beautiful natural stag.

Hrodvitnir

Well as far legendary Pokemon taking their names from their base idea, there is precedence in Ho-Oh whose name comes an alternate way to write 鳳凰 Hōō, which means Fenghuang, the phoenix of China. But who knows where Game Freak will take them. I just felt that there wasn't much strength behind the basis in Norse mythology, and that maybe someone could, seeing the information I put forth on the Hind, find a base idea behind Yveltal.

shac

I have an idea regarding the Yggdrasil tree.It could be some kind of portal that takes you to yveltal's, xerneas' or maybe z*******'s worlds.Like giratina's disortion world.

I like this. It is very possible IMO.

Also I would like to point out that while pokemon ca be based of certain element of mythology, it does not necessarily have to follow it 100%. I think the creators just take some ideas as inspiration. So trying to fit these two legendaries we have within a certain mythology perfectly is a bit fatuous IMO.

XXD17

Draco rex

I don't want to be a stickler or "that guy" but RNA doesn't copy DNA...DNA is transcribed into RNA by RNA polymerase to later be translated into an amino acid sequence in the cytoplasm after modification within the nucleus...DNA polymerases (a class of 3-4 different enzymes) are what serve to replicate DNA in most cases...your idea, however, can still work...RNA is essentially a messenger (the ones that code for proteins are actually called messenger RNA) that the nucleus sends out to tell the ribosome what protein to make...the messenger concept is still there like that squirrel thing...

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Well as far legendary Pokemon taking their names from their base idea, there is precedence in Ho-Oh whose name comes an alternate way to write 鳳凰 Hōō, which means Fenghuang, the phoenix of China. But who knows where Game Freak will take them. I just felt that there wasn't much strength behind the basis in Norse mythology, and that maybe someone could, seeing the information I put forth on the Hind, find a base idea behind Yveltal.

I'm not saying they don't, the thing is that looking at the Pokemon it isn't consistent enough to really be sure if that's the case. It could derive its name from the Ceryneian Hind, there's definitely a similarity between the names, or GF could've derived their names from different words and sounds like Zekrom's "Ze" and "Kuro."

And I do see where you're coming from, we have to be open to other possibilities since we're playing around with limited information.

Edit: While it's not the Ceryneian Hind, there's one small connection someone presented over at Bulbapedia between the hind and the bird (in this case, hawk) from the same mythology: In Greek Mythology, the patron animals of Artemis and Apollo are the hind and the hawk, the former represents feminine elements and the latter masculine elements which does fit into the X and Y components insinuated. There are a couple problem with this theory however like lacking a true third component for the potential "Z" legendary and some visible cues to the gods they represent (such as Yveltal lacking elements associated with the sun, prophecy, etc.) but it does tie the two animals together while having their potential chromosomes connect.

Last edited:

aerial_ace

I wonder what regional trio of legendaries will be. For some reason since gen 2 trios were horrible. Golems were unexciting, pixies were just terrible, musketeers had terrible design(I'm looking at you cobalion and terrakion) and genies in their base form were almost identical their therian form are great tho. Kanto birds and johto dogs were all amazing and it is a shame ever since trios were no more than a let down for me.

Hopefully they will be dark, electric and water to represent 3 god brothers from greek mythology( hades, zeus and poseidon) but I have no idea how they should look like

Col-Erase

THANK YOU!

Been googling every which way but I can't find anything saying that those deer have colored gems/ jewels/ stones or w/e. The only places I see that say that are ... Pokemon fan sites/ forums all citing the same source.

I think people jump on it because most people (myself included) know nothing about Norse mythology stuff.

And personally I see Yveltal as a Wyvern. I mean, it has horns, clawed wings and a big meaty tail ... with a claw on it. Plus no feathers ... and GF knows how to draw birds with feathers. Plus Wyverns are pretty much the trade mark Dragon for the West.

HDX

As I've only seen this today I haven't checked all the posts so sorry if this is completely out of the loop but,
Have we completely decided against the X and Y meaning axis instead of chromosomes as this makes more sence for pokemon games to me for a few reasons:
1. This would give an easy possibility for the third game in Pokemon Z for the Z axis.
2. Having it about the three axis would go well because it's the first series game on the 3DS which has the Z axis added in.
3. Yveltal is a flying pokemon and so would be the perfect thing to represent height, the Y axis.

Could be completely wrong but it just seems to make sence, and like its been mentioned, genetics and proper science seems a bit too strange for a pokemon game

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
As I've only seen this today I haven't checked all the posts so sorry if this is completely out of the loop but,
Have we completely decided against the X and Y meaning axis instead of chromosomes as this makes more sence for pokemon games to me for a few reasons:
1. This would give an easy possibility for the third game in Pokemon Z for the Z axis.
2. Having it about the three axis would go well because it's the first series game on the 3DS which has the Z axis added in.
3. Yveltal is a flying pokemon and so would be the perfect thing to represent height, the Y axis.

Could be completely wrong but it just seems to make sence, and like its been mentioned, genetics and proper science seems a bit too strange for a pokemon game

Some people say chromosomes and some say axis. Non of us are completely sure of it. We have to wait and see. Both theories have some compelling evidence.

Mudster

Master of the Legend
THANK YOU!

Been googling every which way but I can't find anything saying that those deer have colored gems/ jewels/ stones or w/e. The only places I see that say that are ... Pokemon fan sites/ forums all citing the same source.

I think people jump on it because most people (myself included) know nothing about Norse mythology stuff.

And personally I see Yveltal as a Wyvern. I mean, it has horns, clawed wings and a big meaty tail ... with a claw on it. Plus no feathers ... and GF knows how to draw birds with feathers. Plus Wyverns are pretty much the trade mark Dragon for the West.

If you think that Yvetal is a Wyvern, then maybe we will see Dragon/Dark for Yveltal and Ice/Psychic for Xerneas? They'd cancel each other out that way.

I personally think that Yveltal is a bird, it looks like a horned condor. Game Freak wouldn't be the first to put horns on a bird (see Digimon's Aquilamon).

I like the theory I've seen on Xerneas being based on Ectoderm (nerves, brain), Yveltal being based on Mesoderm (blood vessels, muscle), and 'Z' being based on Endoderm (digestion, lungs).

Based on that, I'd also tie in the Yggdrasil theory to tie in with this, I'm guessing that "Z" is based on Níðhöggr, the Wyvern that chews at the roots of Yggdrasil, which may also link in the digestion part of the endoderm theory. As the wyvern is controlled by Hel in norse mythology, I'd guess that its typing could be dragon/ground or dragon/dark, and I think Xerneas would almost certainly have electric and psychic as its typing, though I really couldn't say about Yveltal. Maybe flying/fighting? That would make a psychic/fighting/dark trio.

Last edited:

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
If you think that Yvetal is a Wyvern, then maybe we will see Dragon/Dark for Yveltal and Ice/Psychic for Xerneas? They'd cancel each other out that way.

I personally think that Yveltal is a bird, it looks like a horned condor. Game Freak wouldn't be the first to put horns on a bird (see Digimon's Aquilamon).

Two words for ya, Star. Raptor. Yeah, it plumage, but its feally not that differently shaped. put two pf them on him, and bingo.

I do kinda like a dragon theory, but i think a lot of prople are gonna stick with scaled bird for a while. And flying dark and ice psychic still cancels out.

It may have been stated before, but there I'm seeing a strong nod at the aspects of Life and Death between these two legnedary Pokemon.

Of the main ones we have
GenI
The seasons(save for Autumn) Moltres, Articuna, and Zapdos
Origins and Science Mew and Mewtwo
GenII
Three(four) natural events Rioku, Entie, and Suicune
Three Guardians, Sky, Sea, and Nature
GenIII
Three eras of humanity Ice, Stone, and the Iron Age
The three spheres of our planet Hydro, Litho, and Atmos
(i have nothing for the eon duo)
Evolution
Gen.IV
Knowledge, Emotion, and Willpower
Time, Space, and Antimatter
The Full Moon and New Moon
Two more Guardians of the sea
The Earths molten Core
(nothing for Regiggigas or Shaymin)
Creation(and Uncreation depending how you look at it)
GenV
(nothing for Victini or the Musketeers)
Wind Lighting and Fertility in the Kami Trio
Ying, Yang, and the absecnce of both
Music/Dance
Science(once again)

GenVI could very well be life and death as it would be a logical step. look at the pictures, X is a deer(or stag) which, if I remember correctly, usually represents life and natural abundance. As well as where Xerneas is located in the photo. Then look at Yveltal. it is in the sky, a place where some people( me included) beleive their spirits go when they die. The sky is also a favorite location of Carrion Birds, which are asociated with death, or death to come. and Yveltal does look alot like a Carrion Bird of some sort.

In short, I agree with Elementer.

Last edited:

fitzy909

Just another guy
You make an excellent point. Life and death would be great to base the legendaries off of. also yveltal looks very dark and sinister (death) and xerneas looks light and bright (life). So what types would you give them?

Status
Not open for further replies.