• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold95

I like both legendaries. Both are a breathe of fresh air from all the past dragon legendaries.
Yveltal's black lines on his body remind me of Groudon.

confuser987

I like both legendaries. Both are a breathe of fresh air from all the past dragon legendaries.
Yveltal's black lines on his body remind me of Groudon.

That's is strange. Yveltal is not a ground-based animal and I say that Xerneas did remind me of Kyogre, but Xerneas is not an aquatic animal lol.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Prediction time:

Xerneas - Ground (horizontal axis)/Psychic (those horns...)

Yveltal - Flying (vertical axis)/Dark

Those types make sense given the design and backstory for the legendaries, though it will mean that Xerneas would be unable to hit Yveltal with either of its STABs. Fighting/Flying would be an interesting type to see for Yveltal; in addition to the Norse mythology basis of the legendaries, the legendaries can be seen to represent the germ layers - muscles and blood for Yveltal, and neurons for Xerneas (with the Z serpent representing the endoderm it would seem). Thus Fighting/Flying would make sense for Yveltal if it is in fact partially based on the muscular system. By the same merit, Electric or Psychic could both work as one of Xerneas's types if it is based on the neuron. Just some food for thought.

jakovu

I don't want Xerneas to be Psychic. We've had WAY too many Psychic legendaries. And Dragon legendaries.

I'll be pissed if they wind up being Psychic/Dragon and Fire/Fighting! XD

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Those types make sense given the design and backstory for the legendaries, though it will mean that Xerneas would be unable to hit Yveltal with either of its STABs. Fighting/Flying would be an interesting type to see for Yveltal; in addition to the Norse mythology basis of the legendaries, the legendaries can be seen to represent the germ layers - muscles and blood for Yveltal, and neurons for Xerneas (with the Z serpent representing the endoderm it would seem). Thus Fighting/Flying would make sense for Yveltal if it is in fact partially based on the muscular system. By the same merit, Electric or Psychic could both work as one of Xerneas's types if it is based on the neuron. Just some food for thought.

Psychic/Electric would be fantastic for Xerneas

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Psychic/Electric would be fantastic for Xerneas

It would be a nice type (and it would be a unique type as well, wouldn't it? I can't think of a Psychic/Electric Pokemon) though then its typing would completely disregard the whole Norse mythology basis of its design. I'm personally hoping - and thinking - that its type as well as Yveltal's type will try and incorporate both of the major bases for their design - the Norse Yggdrasil mythology and the germ layer thing.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
It would be a nice type (and it would be a unique type as well, wouldn't it? I can't think of a Psychic/Electric Pokemon) though then its typing would completely disregard the whole Norse mythology basis of its design. I'm personally hoping - and thinking - that its type as well as Yveltal's type will try and incorporate both of the major bases for their design - the Norse Yggdrasil mythology and the germ layer thing.

I don't get the whole mythology thing...care to explain it to me?

spikyearedpichu

Dawn of the XY Era
What I expect is...

Y Version Mascot - Flying/ Ghost type (Represent the Sky)
X Version Mascot - Ground / Psychic type (Represent the earth)
possible Z Version Mascot - Water / Dark type (Represent the underworld)

~Kari~

Yveltal looks like a Dark/Flying type. Xerneas could be a Ground/Psychic, or Steel/Psychic. I think the Z legend will be Water/Something. It looks like they are based off of Norse mythology. I hope so, that would be awesome.

I'd bet Yveltal is Flying/Dark. It just looks that way and I'd be surprised if it's not.

Xerneas, I have no clue. I look forward to finding out, though. I don't see Steel type in it, I can see Psychic or Ground, but I don't see both against Yveltal. Grass and Electric are also strong possibilities.

I LOVE the designs of these two, I like them a lot more than last generations legendaries.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
Well, judging by the previous mascots of earlier generations, I believe the typings would obviously oppose each other. If not the typings, then by physiology. For example:

Gen. II: Lugia wasn't a water type, but was capable of learning water-type moves and had access to Hydro pump. According to it's Dex entries, it's habitat is underwater. This rivals Ho-Oh, which is Fire/Flying, and can easily be no match for Lugia.
Gen. III: Ground<Water. The difference can easily be identified thanks to the typings.
Gen. IV: With Dialga being Steel and Palkia being Water, there's a very subtle reference to land and sea, but is basically pointed out as Time and Space. But Dragon=Dragon, so it's a tie anyhow.
Gen. V: Zekrom and Reshiram are obviously weak towards each other thanks to Dragon, but Electric and Fire are rivalled forces, according to Flint and Volkner. I could be wrong, but Dragon=Dragon again. Though Kyurem (which we could reference to "Z") is weak to Fire (Reshiram).

So we could say that, if we had Z along with Xerneas and Yveltal, Z would have a typing weakness to one of those legendaries.
So given the information we already have, Xerneas is obviously land-based and Yveltal is Sky-based. So I'm guessing:

Xerneas: Psychic/Steel
Yveltal: Flying/Fire

GerudoPrince

Desert Glider
And yet it's a possibility. Time will tell.

Also remember that the legendaries don't have to be "rivals". They can actually have type combinations, that together give a lot of coverage to DEFEND their land/whatever.

Kurry

I almost want to say Yveltal is Flying/Electric... Again, there's always the hope for a new type to be introduced. I suppose.

Flying/Dark just rubs me the wrong way.

shac

Gen. III: Ground<Water. The difference can easily be identified thanks to the typings.

The 'z' was Rayquaza who is 'flying' thus completing the earth-sea-sky composition. The typing of these three were based on the corresponding myhtological creature.

Gen. IV: With Dialga being Steel and Palkia being Water, there's a very subtle reference to land and sea, but is basically pointed out as Time and Space. But Dragon=Dragon, so it's a tie anyhow.

The 'z' here is Giratina. But of the three Dialga is the strongest type-wise as the other two does not have a type that can hurt it super-effectively. It's steel typing resists dragon.

Gen. V: Zekrom and Reshiram are obviously weak towards each other thanks to Dragon, but Electric and Fire are rivalled forces, according to Flint and Volkner. I could be wrong, but Dragon=Dragon again. Though Kyurem (which we could reference to "Z") is weak to Fire (Reshiram).

Kyurem is not weak to fire. It takes neutral damage from fire, thanks to being part dragon.

So we could say that, if we had Z along with Xerneas and Yveltal, Z would have a typing weakness to one of those legendaries.
So given the information we already have, Xerneas is obviously land-based and Yveltal is Sky-based. So I'm guessing:

Xerneas: Psychic/Steel
Yveltal: Flying/Fire

So no, we could not say anything for certain, since there really has been no solid pattern to go by. But I like the typing you have for X and Y

Status
Not open for further replies.