• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries that aren't unique

Kamajama

Did you guys know that Magikarp is actually a legendary in the 5th gen? Only one you can get is on the Marvelous Bridge.... Must be a legend huh?

VIA

<<< Recent Shiny
Lol no guys. Lucario is not a legendary. A legendary doesn't evolve. You can't breed a legendary. Lucario to me is just another poke. He's the equivalent of togepi to me. The starters are legendarys to then. They have pretty powerful stats and you can only get 1 in the main story of the game. It was a debate. You lost and decided to leave.

EDIT: Yah and Magicarp knows splash, THE MOST POWERFUL MOVE IN THE GAME IT HAS SO MUCH POWER MAGICARP FORSES IT TO DO NOTHING OR THE WORLD WOULD EXPLODE.

Autis-misc

Abridger
Lol no guys. Lucario is not a legendary. A legendary doesn't evolve. You can't breed a legendary. Lucario to me is just another poke. He's the equivalent of togepi to me. The starters are legendarys to then. They have pretty powerful stats and you can only get 1 in the main story of the game. It was a debate. You lost and decided to leave.

Honestly, What the F*ck are you guys thinking? That other person said that, and I told him there are fcking exceptions, so shut the f*ck up and get back on topic.

Someone's very profanic today. . .

I think that all Legendary's are Unique in some way.

Stop feeding the troll, guys.

Anyways, I'll just add that, yup, as far as I'm concerned, legendaries are just really rare Pokemon that have ended up in the mythology of the world. Groudon, for instance, is probably part of a small relict population of poke-dinosaurs, and Kyogre would be a large ocean-going predator (remember, whales were legendary during the Middle Ages). Things like the legendary birds, gerbils and latis are probably rare migrants with breeding grounds outside the game world.

After all, if even garden-variety Pokemon can breathe fire, summon thunderbolts from the sky, and use psychic powers, then something particularly strong would be seen as legendary.

... and Lucario's not a legendary. :p

Victory

Banned
Genesect isn't unique. Another Steel/Bug, whoop dee do!

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Requirements for a pokemon to be legendary:

- Cannot breed to produce more of itself (Manaphy can breed, but can't produce another Manaphy this way)
- Cannot evolve

^ Those are the only two defining factors that all legendaries thus far share. By this logic, neither Magikarp nor Lucario are legendary, because both are part of an evolutionary family and both can breed.

And no, I didn't take that from Bulbapedia. It's not speculation at all. It is a fact that all legendaries share those characteristics. I guess by that logic you could consider Ditto a legendary, but eh, the system can't be perfect. I could always add that only one legendary can legitimately be found in the wild in a game, but I'd need to do more research on the topic before I make that claim.

Anyways, I'll just add that, yup, as far as I'm concerned, legendaries are just really rare Pokemon that have ended up in the mythology of the world. Groudon, for instance, is probably part of a small relict population of poke-dinosaurs, and Kyogre would be a large ocean-going predator (remember, whales were legendary during the Middle Ages). Things like the legendary birds, gerbils and latis are probably rare migrants with breeding grounds outside the game world.

After all, if even garden-variety Pokemon can breathe fire, summon thunderbolts from the sky, and use psychic powers, then something particularly strong would be seen as legendary.

I concur with this. The reason you can't obtain legendaries by breeding is because they have specific environmental conditions that must be met in order for them to breed. This means they can reproduce in the wild, but not in captivity.

Last edited:

Hypno12

Looking at Dartfrogs
Terrakion. I mean, its not really creative, and even though I liked it ingame, its purpose is just horrible.

Genesect isn't unique. Another Steel/Bug, whoop dee do!

Just because a Legendary doesn't have a unique typing doesn't mean its not a legendary. Also if you think about it Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion are like the Guardians of Mountains, Forests, and Caves.

Bushido Bob

Darkwraith
Legendaries can generally be divided by this system:

1. Not Unique. Infallible evidence has been given that there are more than one of these legendaries. Examples are: Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina(Depending on the player)

2. Probably Not Unique. Pokedex entries suggest there's more than one,
though it's never been directly proven. Examples are: Entei, Latios, Latias

3. Neutral. No evidence for or against status as a unique individual. Examples are: Most legendaries

4. Probably Unique: No direct evidence to confirm as such, but backstory and inspiration suggest unique status. Examples are: Kami Trio, Musketeer Trio, Weather Trio

5. Definitely Unique: Status as a unique individual rather than a species has been directly confirmed by the plot. Examples are: Mewtwo, Genesect, Reshiram, Zekrom

Also, it should be noted that the anime =/= games. They're completely separate continuities that tend to be inconsistent with each other more often than not. The above examples were thought of with only the games in mind.

gunbomb90

NickR3ita
Well, sometimes its weird..but legendaries are powerful and have higher stats.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
As for the entire argument about Zoroark/Lucario being a legendary ... you know, people are free to think whatever they want.

However, most people will agree that anything you can mass produce infinitely in a short period of time without resorting to cheating or trading isn't a legendary. Since both Lucario and Zoroark (as well as Phione) can be produced infinitely in a short period of time, many people consider them normal Pokemon.

I mean, if Lucario, Zoroark, and Phione are legendary because "breeding is not 'part of the game'", then all the starters are legendary as well. Any critera you apply to Lucario or Zoroark being legendary is equally applicable to any of the fifteen starters. It can also be applied to Rotom. Also, First Generation had Onamyte, Kabuto, Aerodactyl, Lapras, Mr. Mime, and Jynx. Eevee in every generation up until Fourth Generation, was also limited to one per game. There's also Sudowoodo and Togepi in Second Generation. Third Generation had Lileep and Armaldo. The list goes on. If breeding doesn't count, the list of Pokemon that are only obtainable once extends far beyond just Lucario, Zoroark, and Phione.

There are several celebis, but what other pokemon can travel through time?

I know this is from about 3 pages back but i coudnt let it lie. But Dialga? The definition of 'Legendary' is too be famous and well known and is celebrated in a legend so it could mean that some of the species of each 'Legendary' become legendary so there could be more of each species but only some of them, who performed well known acts which are spoken of in legends, become legendary and the other members of its species are just normal but very powerful pokemon.

Last edited:

xucretis

i think some are unique,some are just rare,i think that the other arceus could be from another dimension brought by palkia or from the past brought by palkia or even himself if he wants too,because i dont believe that the only real god pokemon isnt unique,but latias,latios,the dogs,the birds,the regis,deoxys arent unique,but ho-oh,arceus,mewtwo are.
by the way heatran having sex isnt a great tip that there are more?

Eranu™

They're just unique in terms of stats.
If you look, most legendaries have better stats than normal pokes.

Mewkachu

Sexuality is a cult.
i think the trio pokemon are unique but less so than the other legendaries such as rayquaza. even though he's technically part of a trio in hg/ss and on, before that he was more of a standalone legendary that was intensively harder to get. then you have the superunique ones like "regigas" who are only available if you have the trio. then you have a unique pokemon.
the dual opposite pokemon aren't really unique because so many of them are found. i consider those from events to be the rarest because a lot of people like me don't have a wifi connection to get them and no reason to.
I think that my "legendaries" are unique, like Latias. a lot of em aren't because they're easy catches but i have 3rd tier legendaries that aren't legendary but were at a time or are so powerful they are almost legendary-
unique ones that, even though you get them for free, it takes time and focus to get them to such a high level and evolution that some people giveup
Like my Dragonite
i almost gave up on him but then I took the time to evolute him. he's kind of a legendary on his own, I don't see why he isn't.
EDIT-that brings up the question, why do legendaries never have evolutionary paths? i think it's time for a legendary who can evolute again like Zoroark. it has the standard legendary than BOOM big unique legendary.

Mewkachu

Sexuality is a cult.
Just because a Legendary doesn't have a unique typing doesn't mean its not a legendary. Also if you think about it Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion are like the Guardians of Mountains, Forests, and Caves.
If you think about it each pokemon has something they're guarding or some back story. This kind of makes them un-unique because, well,while they are not at the tier of a low ranked grass-found pokemon or water-found or whatever found that is in the wild they are guarding something. even if they're in legends, that doesn't make them legendary. it just makes them mystical.
C.O.T I.M.O.P: I'm wrong. It does make them legendary.
(COT = Change of Thought; IMOP = In Middle Of Post)

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Victiny looks retarded. And that Meloetta thing.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Some legendaries there are more than one of (like the legendary birds), but others there are only one of (like Mewtwo).

here's how many of each of the legendaries i feel there are:

Legendary birds: 5 or 6 of each
Mewtwo: only 1
Mew: only 1
Legendary beasts: 1 of each
Ho-oh: only 1
Lugia: 4 or 5
Celebi: 4 or 5 (minus time paradoxes)
Laitos/Latias: 4 or 5 of each
Regis: 3 or 4 of each
Groudon: only 1
Rayquaza: only 1
Kyogre: only 1
Jirachi: only 1
Deoxys: at least 5 (since its from space there may be more though)
Lake Spirits: 1 of each
Dialga: only 1
Palkia: only 1
Giratina: only 1
Darkrai: 3 or 4
Cresselia: 3 or 4
Heatran: 3 or 4
Manaphy: only 1
Phione: doesnt count
Shaymin: 6 or 7
Arceus: only 1
Reshiram: only 1