• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendaries too much?

Scaldaver

Limitless
Some people say that Legendary Pokemon add plot and adventure to the game. Some say they are too powerful and make most others redundant. What does everyone else think?
I sort of agree with both. Normally, when a newish player starts to complete a game with their hard earned team of six, they feel the box legend takes presedence and use that against the elite four instead of one of their own. So why waste the time raising your pokemon? On the other hand, Emerald is great with the legendaries as you don't ecounter a legendary unless voluntarily, and they help drive an excellent plot.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
The only legendary I usually use, is Latios in the Battle Tower.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Some legendary Pokémon aren't even that great, so I wouldn't say they all overpower other Pokémon. And I think that they've created too many legendary Pokémon per generation, so they seem to have lost that legendary quality in my opinion.

Scaldaver

Limitless
And I think that they've created too many legendary Pokémon per generation, so they seem to have lost that legendary quality in my opinion.

I agree. I mean:

1st gen - Mewtwo - ULTIMATE clone,

2nd Gen - A bird brings beast BACK TO LIFE!

3rd Gen - CONTINENT MAKER, OCEAN MAKER, LORD OF SKY!

4th Gen - GOD OF TIME, GOD OF SPACE, GOD,

5th gen - nothing much.

Legendaries got so powerful, the rest are terrible.

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
^ What calamity said.

Yes, the number of legendary Pokemon has taken some of the shine off of the name a little bit, but there are still Pokemon who, despite the loss in the shine, still are truly legendary Pokemon (such as Mewtwo, Deoxys, and Rayqaza). Also, yes, Emerald had a great plot in that legendaries were optional to go capture. If they made more like that, then there might not be as many newbies who abuse the power of legendary Pokemon online and expect to win.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Legendaries got so powerful, the rest are terrible.

Legendaries have always been powerful. Mewtwo was crazy back when it was introduced and was virtually untouchable. These days, at least they don't have broken typings and stats to the degree that Mewtwo did.

I used to be irked that fourth gen introduced so many legendaries. Then I decided to take the mentality that legendaries are hardly different from normal pokemon besides their stats. Now I really don't care, which is better than being irritated over things that don't matter.

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
This reminds me a little about my "Move toxic is to common" thread. The most dangerous poison in WORLD and still almost every pokemon can learn in. Anyway i totally agree, it should be like, Get 20k dream points and get the dream legendary! Or, win 3k random battles and get MEWTWO!

Or something like that, i mean it shouldt be like you get 3-4 legendary pokemons in the storyline...

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
I think the legenderies began getting out of hand with the 3rd generation. They became too notionally over-powered and were increased in numbers for each generation. There are simply too many.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I think the legenderies began getting out of hand with the 3rd generation. They became too notionally over-powered and were increased in numbers for each generation. There are simply too many.

Try thinking of legendaries as normal pokemon rather than unique ones. This is pretty easy with legendaries like the Regis, seeing as their stats aren't exactly overwhelming like the mascots.

gliscor&yanmega

I have no problem with the number of Legendary Pokemon(Which I don't think is as many as people make it seem to be). I hope they keep adding lots of Legendary Pokemon.

I like legendary Pokemon. They are fun and add something to the game. Of course if you don't like them then you are not forced to capture them or use them. Mewtwo will always be my favorite legendary!

Scaldaver

Limitless
Try thinking of legendaries as normal pokemon rather than unique ones. This is pretty easy with legendaries like the Regis, seeing as their stats aren't exactly overwhelming like the mascots.

Yeah, but not so easy when you think -

"Ooh, look a rattata. Hey, a caterpie. What's that in the air with that Pidgey? A Rayquaza? How nice."

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Yeah, but not so easy when you think -

"Ooh, look a rattata. Hey, a caterpie. What's that in the air with that Pidgey? A Rayquaza? How nice."

Normal pokemon don't have to include only weak ones such as Rattata, Caterpie, and Pidgey. To most people, this also constitutes pokemon like Archeops, for example. Archeops has an attack stat of 140, while Rayqyaza has an attack stat of 150. That's not a huge difference.

You don't have to think the same way as me, but I prefer to think of many legendaries as normal pokemon. Rayquaza was a pretty bad example, since it's a mascot and consequently has redonkulous stats. Like I said, the Regis are a better example. Regirock has an attack stat of 100. That's very average among physically-oriented pokemon like Zangoose, Conkeldurr, and Gallade for example.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Yeah, I can see your point. Things like manaphy and phione are just dex fillers. Same fore the Regis. But I mean that they've gone so overtop with the 4th gen legends that the rest of the legendaries seem much worse. And not just in battling respect.

Scaldaver

Limitless
And not just in battling respect.

By that I mean that Not just the games and stats and all that. It's a bit hard to top god of space and GOD. Makes shaymin and moltres, etc look like wurmples.

randomspot555

By that I mean that Not just the games and stats and all that. It's a bit hard to top god of space and GOD. Makes shaymin and moltres, etc look like wurmples.

Ugh

Arceus is not "God". It is "Said" to be the creator of Sinnoh, just like cats in ancient Egyptian culture are "said" to be gods worthy of worship.

Do you worship your cat?

Of course you don't.

The Sinnoh Legendary trios (Pixie trio, Dragon trio, and Arceus) are roughly based off of the dieties of the indigenous religion of Japan, Shinto (Shinto, Sinnoh, get it????). Basically, the "creator god" in that religion, like in many religions, is reclusive, creates its dieties and the world, and then secludes itself in a mountain or something and is never really worshiped or talked about...kind of like Arceus.

I don't see anything wrong with the # of legendaries. In D/P/Plat, you are only ever forced into battle with one. Same with Unova. Don't like it? Don't capture it. Ignore them. Trade for the dex entires and never look at them again.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Ugh

Arceus is not "God". It is "Said" to be the creator of Sinnoh, just like cats in ancient Egyptian culture are "said" to be gods worthy of worship.

Well, I just said not just in the games. In the Anime movie he started the Big bang. 'nuf sed.

Larry

I don't care if people use Legendaries in their team or not. If you have a Problem with how people like to play the game, just give up.

pseudoman

I dont think there are too much legendaries, And you always have the option of using them for trade fodder. Honestly, the only problem that i have with some legendaries is that dragon typing is becoming the new norm. While im not surprised, i would like to see more bug, grass and ghost types becoming the main focus of the later generations.

Wouldnt it be weird if you started the game with legendaries and focus the game around starters(like starting off with keldeo and fighting a level 70 emboar later on)? I think charizard and empoleon would fit major roles in the story if this would happen.