• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendary Pokémon Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rio!

Composer
Yes, that's something that's concerned me as well. For individuals with access to all the necessary hardware and software, there is still the 11-year-old WISHMKR Jirachi, but that really gets "old" after a while in the midst of things like Japan's shiny Jirachi distributions. Besides that technically ongoing distribution, the last time Jirachi has seen a fairly wide giveaway was 5 1/2 years ago.

There are a whole host of other Pokemon that it would be great to see again in the "West" (and probably most everywhere else as well too), such as Mew, Manaphy, Arceus, Shaymin, Darkrai, Genesect, Meloetta, and Keldeo. Perhaps there will eventually be an "event-only legendaries" distribution, where shared serial codes will be given out for special versions of every available event Pokemon. With regard to Manaphy in particular, it just passed the 8 year anniversary since it has been made widely available for main-series players.

This would be nice. I remember there being a period in time where there was some sort of 'luck of the draw' event Pokemon for certain TCG packs, but that was in Japan as well *I believe*. xD

@magma grunt edu- I bet it is especially tricky in Asia and Europe simply due to the number of countries that are present, not to mention how it isn't treated as one large region at times. As for the case in Asia, that normally isn't the case at all; you rarely here of events outside Japan and sometimes China happening at all.

As for the other post, I'll edit this one for that one above me once I clear my head a little.

@ Painkiller2001- It is, especially if the physical codes themselves are gone, and you end up missing out on an event that's supposed to last a specific amount of time after already driving to said out-of-the-way location. Driving an hour and a half out of the way with fuel one pays for fill-up with their own money. Working 8+ hour shifts on a regular basis. Full-time post-primary education student (oh yeah, that isn't necessarily free where this person is either). Volunteering. The list actually goes on. Please think twice before assuming a group of people are 'lazy' by your standards for not making it top priority in their lives above all else.

I would address other points as well, but I'll just say this: It'll do for you to not make a group of completely baseless assumptions without knowing the personal circumstance of each and every person you seek to blanket with such a statement. It comes across as being quite rude, no matter how many times you 'apologize' before-hand or afterwards.

If you have anything else that needs clearing up, PMs are always open.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Though I don't have any strong like or dislike about Jirachi, I am kind of disappointed it hasn't been made available again, especially with ORAS rearing up in-between gen.

I could go for another Jirachi event since it's been years since the last NA one. I want a regular, non-Shiny one though unlike the ones Japan recently got.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Events are dumb and we should get them in-game like ORAS Deoxys.

Rio!

Composer
I could go for another Jirachi event since it's been years since the last NA one. I want a regular, non-Shiny one though unlike the ones Japan recently got.
Yes, definitely. The last one was what, during the HG/SS era?

Events are dumb and we should get them in-game like ORAS Deoxys.
Though I agree, it would take some tinkering to manage getting all event pokemon in certain generations. Like Liberty Island which is only accessible via Liberty Pass in Unova. Otherwise, unless another Hoopa-like deal with other Mythical and Legendaries with the whole portal spiel happens, it would end up being extremely random. It worked well with Deoxys but only because of how it was implemented for Hoenn. Then too, who knows what will be upcoming for these future games. ;o

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I agree with most people here. It really feels awkward having to go to the store to get codes, especially when the staff have no idea what you're talking about, which has happened to me on several occasions. While my local store has gotten better about it recently, I always still get that nervous feeling that they don't know about what they are supposed to be distributing.

My local GAME store is only about 10 minutes from where I live, so getting the upcoming Hoopa event is going to be quite easy for me (If my store knows what they're doing that is.) But I feel bad for those who live hours from their nearest store or worse, have their country not distribute it altogether, because it feels unfair to those who do want it.

I've never really liked the idea of event only Pokémon, but unfortunately they won't ditch the concept anytime soon, and this'll likely happen again with the remaining Mythical Pokémon.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
If i lived relatively near a store that had the distribution i would go there every time an event would release. I too am against event-only pokemon but i understand, especially with the gen 6 easy online communication system, that it exists. these go back to gen 1 and mew was the reason pokemon exploded in popularity in japan. It's frustrating when the game required all pokemon, including event-only legendaries, to catch 'em all but now, if they keep having wi-fi distribution of all the event legendaries, and due to their historic relevance to the seires, i'm ok with it.

Rio!

Composer
If i lived relatively near a store that had the distribution i would go there every time an event would release. I too am against event-only pokemon but i understand, especially with the gen 6 easy online communication system, that it exists. these go back to gen 1 and mew was the reason pokemon exploded in popularity in japan. It's frustrating when the game required all pokemon, including event-only legendaries, to catch 'em all but now, if they keep having wi-fi distribution of all the event legendaries, and due to their historic relevance to the seires, i'm ok with it.

Actually, you only need 718 Pokemon to complete the Nat Dex that excludes Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Deoxys, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus, Victini, Diancie, and now Hoopa (I might be forgetting one or two?).

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
Actually, you only need 718 Pokemon to complete the Nat Dex that excludes Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Deoxys, Shaymin, Darkrai, Arceus, Victini, Diancie, and now Hoopa (I might be forgetting one or two?).

I think you got them all!!

I really hate that there's event Pokemon locked in the game. Like Victini for an example. I got him when the event was going on. Then down the road I deleted my file to start a new one due to boredom. I should have just gone out and got White.

I can't wait to get Hoopa. I just hate that NA's event hasn't been announced yet. Why can't they do event Pokemon globally?

BCVM22

It is, especially if the physical codes themselves are gone, and you end up missing out on an event that's supposed to last a specific amount of time after already driving to said out-of-the-way location. Driving an hour and a half out of the way with fuel one pays for fill-up with their own money.

"Phooooone first."

Working 8+ hour shifts on a regular basis. Full-time post-primary education student (oh yeah, that isn't necessarily free where this person is either). Volunteering. The list actually goes on. Please think twice before assuming a group of people are 'lazy' by your standards for not making it top priority in their lives above all else.

All perfectly valid reasons to not travel out of your way for something like this. Truly. When someone says their life is legitimately too busy to drive out of their way for something like this, that's fine. Really. It is. No one's calling you out for having a life.

The issue is that people seem to want it both ways. People seem to want to say "my life is far too busy to drive out of my way to GameStop," and that's fine, and it may mean this event passes you by. That's life. But somehow that's not acceptable to some people, despite this being ultimately meaningless and frivolous when compared to more important things in life. People seem intent on saying "no, I want my busy life and I want this fun thing without going out of my way. Sometimes the neat stuff is a few hours' drive during an otherwise busy time for you, whether that's a sporting event or a concert or whatever other kind of event, and sometimes it fits in the schedule and sometimes it just doesn't. And I would further argue that GameStop locations and what have you are FAR easier to access for a vast majority than a sports stadium or a concert venue.

No, an event Pokémon is not a concert or a sporting event, but the amount of non-driving effort and money you have to put into getting it (very little and none, respectively) is commensurate to that gap.

So which is it? If this particular Pokémon event is THAT important, you'll find time for it, and if you don't, you're still pretty okay, and better yet, there's a very good chance you'll get another opportunity down that may even be EASIER to access.

You can read this and rail against "people making assumptions" or whatever it was that displeased you, but again, it seems sometimes people want neat (if ultimately meaningless) things but don't want to have to go anywhere or do anything for them and choose this particular nugget of culture as the target of their anger with that iniquity.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Tbh getting Gen 6's event Legendaries is so convenient imo. Like, I don't even have to visit GameStop or whatever to get Hoopa for instance: I can just get the code from people online. It saves me a 30-minute drive.

@ Painkiller2001- It is, especially if the physical codes themselves are gone, and you end up missing out on an event that's supposed to last a specific amount of time after already driving to said out-of-the-way location. .

If you have anything else that needs clearing up, PMs are always open.

All I'll say regarding this is that I do admit that that never occurred to me that the stores could run out of codes.
Also, if you see this, your PM box is full and should be emptied, I believe, because I have something you'll want to see.

wilmawong

I just went to Game in Newport Gwent with all 4 games and was told it was only one code per customer. So sick of these pointless in-store events when an online giveaway would be so quick and simple, and I wouldn't have to waste petrol and pay for parking!

BCVM22

It's really a problem that with demand potentially high and their own supply of codes finite, they told you one per customer instead of just handing you four? You don't think that seems a little excessive or even outright greedy on your part?

Furthermore, to call the events "pointless" is to miss the obvious reasons as for why they hold them in-store and aren't likely to change that any time soon. No one is unaware that Wi-Fi events are easier - that's not the point.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Doesn't seem like every GAME store is doing one per customer, as mine didn't do that. I was able to get several codes, and since most of my family play Pokémon too, they can get one too.

I did think we were going to have a problem though; luckily we didn't, so now all my family can enjoy Hoopa.

redsky

Ninja
I used to think that it was awkward to go into a shop and ask for a download code. However, that no longer bugs me since nobody in the shop cares what you're doing. The people in the shop don't find it funny if someone asks for a pokemon code, and they'll forget about you as soon as you've gone. They are just focussed on their job, and you're just another customer.

Still, distributing it over the internet would be much better than a store event. That way, almost everyone would be able to access the Pokemon.

BCVM22

I'm not sure then that you've seen places like this when they DO hold a Wi-Fi event, where a surprising number of people come out of the woodwork to complain that they don't have access to a reliable wireless Internet connection and that Nintendo is mean and evil, etc.

For people to keep saying "YEAH BUT..." about the in-store events misses the point entirely. The fact of the matter is that the point of the events is not to give EVERYONE access because that is patently impossible. The point is to enable access for as many people as possible, and though you would never know it from the complaining, the in-store events accomplish that. Not only do they accomplish that, but they also get you to actually walk into a store. There's a decent chance you won't actually buy anything but that's still higher than the 0% chance of you buying something while sitting on your couch at home with your 3DS and GameStop/GAME/whatever will take that small chance over no chance. And for the minority for whom that does no good, the later second chance Wi-Fi events usually fill in the cracks.

Everything else you said is absolutely spot on though. The employees don't give a damn who you are or that you're asking for a code. The self consciousness factor is one of the silliest complaints against doing the events in-store.

Last edited:

swedefish

Grass Trainer
They obviously also just want pokefans to go to the stores and maybe pick up something else while they're there. I haven't been to my local Game store for some time, but when I went today they had a bunch of Pokemon merch up near the till. Not sure if that was a coincidence or if it was planned around the Hoopa code event...

Akashin

They obviously also just want pokefans to go to the stores and maybe pick up something else while they're there. I haven't been to my local Game store for some time, but when I went today they had a bunch of Pokemon merch up near the till. Not sure if that was a coincidence or if it was planned around the Hoopa code event...

Well, yeah, obviously. Like BCVM22 said, a small chance you might pick something up in the store while you're there for the code is better for them than the 0% chance you'll be getting anything while getting the event over Wi-Fi from the comfort of your home.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I don't know about you guys, but I'm really, really looking forward to Z. I don't know if this is the right forum for prerelease anxiety, but I have a feeling we'll be getting Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde in the next installment. We did receive Palkia, Dialga and Giratina in Platinum, and if you stayed consistent with the B/B2 or W/W2 carts, you also got the three Tao Dragons, just not in the same cart (-_-').

But who knows. I'm just happy to get to return to Kalos with all the enhancements that ORAS brought, plus whatever they add for additional content with Z. I'm hoping that if we get all three legends in one game, that they'll have a similar epic battle intro that both Xerneas and Yveltal had when you found them in the Team Flare base. Might be harder for Game Freak to find the right tone with circumstance... fingers crossed though. Those entrances are AMAZING!

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I don't know about you guys, but I'm really, really looking forward to Z. I don't know if this is the right forum for prerelease anxiety, but I have a feeling we'll be getting Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde in the next installment. We did receive Palkia, Dialga and Giratina in Platinum, and if you stayed consistent with the B/B2 or W/W2 carts, you also got the three Tao Dragons, just not in the same cart (-_-').

But who knows. I'm just happy to get to return to Kalos with all the enhancements that ORAS brought, plus whatever they add for additional content with Z. I'm hoping that if we get all three legends in one game, that they'll have a similar epic battle intro that both Xerneas and Yveltal had when you found them in the Team Flare base. Might be harder for Game Freak to find the right tone with circumstance... fingers crossed though. Those entrances are AMAZING!

Yep, I feel like that would also be the case. If "Z" will end up being a single game, then it would make sense to predict that all three main legends would be obtainable. If it ends up being a pair of games instead, then it may be that the main legends switch places so that Xerneas is available in the 2nd version, while Yveltal is in the 1st. Also hoping that there will be some awesome cutscenes!

ORAS did give us access to most of the legendaries, and seeing how all Pokemon are available between X/Y and the remakes, I have no idea what legends they would include for the next games, or if they'll add any at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.