• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legendary Pokemon becoming less legendary

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!
I think one reason is that the legendary pokemon are reproduceing.Like the episode with the baby Lugia.When I saw that, I was surprise :eek:.

Games =/= anime. In the games, you can't breed the legendary pokemon. And in the games you can only catch one legendary pokemon.

Charizard86

Charizard Champion
The whole point of legendary pokemon is that they have some kind of legend behind them re: Arceus creating the world, Ho-oh resurrecting the legendary dogs, Jirachi's wish making. The whole point of a pokemon being legendary doesn't mean it has to be singular but that there is some kind of myth behind it. In real life a dragon or yeti is a legendary creature, doesn't mean there is just one of them.

empoleon49

Dawn's number 1 fan™
lengendarys arent as creative now days. i never said they were weaker, just not as creative..

xMehx

New Shiny!!!!!!!!:33
I actually agree with Charizard, even though I think they should be singular. I think that the newest legendaries are just overexaggerated. That's just my opinion though...

dinhd101

The thing a lot of you are missing is that in the anime, they come across many legendaries, but that's only them. To the rest of the world, they're still legendary since barely anyone has seen them before. It's not our fault Ash has seen 3 different Articunos.

As for 1 creature/species, this obviously won't work because pokemon grow old, get sick, and die just like everything else in the world. Of course they're gonna reproduce, the species has to survive. The game only puts restrictions on these things so no one has an advantage over another person.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Maybe it's because people haven't heard the legends or something. When Ash saw the ho-oh in the beginning, he didn't leap in amazement at being blessed with this golden opportunity at seeing such a rare pokemon. He just looked, saw a pokemon, and questioned his dex as to what the pokemon could be just like he would any pokemon. So, if they didn't hear the legends, they won't go crazy over them.

But what disturbs me is the fact that now, instead of being incredibly hard to find/catch, you're now GUARANTEED to see these supposedly insanely rare pokemon. In the early games, you'd have to work real hard to find, hunt down and catch pokemon like articuno, raikou and the like. In the later ones, you're much more likely to find the mighty and possibly nonexistant kyogre than a dinky little chimecho or nosepass, because it's your "fate and destiny to discover this amazing pokemon" or something. Oh, sure, I feel special, because I caught palkia, just like all my Pearl owning friends have. It really makes them less exciting.

BCVM22

Come on. There's no way you're trying to say the birds were hard to find, and let's not pretend the birds were really that hard to capture either.

Furthermore, you try and make the case that the Legendaries are "less special" because every gamer has them. You're really trying to say this is a new thing?

-BJ-

Well, Articuno was kind of hard to get to in the Seafoam Islands if you didn't know what you were doing. You could leave the place without ever getting to it. Zapdos was located in a completely optional building that was actually kind of out of the way. I'm not sure on Moltres, but I think its little room in Victory Road was entirely skippable. Then there's the fact that Poke Balls could miss back in the day. I'm not sure on the mechanics of that, but it sure made those birds seem a lot harder to capture.

couldnt the legendary pokemon be called 'legendaries' because
A) They are related to a legend
or
B) They are reclusive, thus the term 'legendaries', but trainers are uncovering more of their hiding places but have not given these creatures a new universal name because the current one works out just fine

viva la johto

Has anyone noticed that Legendary Pokemon today are becoming less and less legendary. I mean, legendaries are usually special Pokemon that humans rarely ever see or even doubt that they even exist, and there's usually only one of that Pokemon. But recently I've noticed that the anime has been treating legendaries like they're no big deal. They say stuff like "Look, it's a Mew." instead of "Look, it's THE Mew." Legendary Pokemon are even appearing in normal episodes of Pokemon instead of movies only, and of course they treat the situation like they would if it was a normal Pokemon. I even remember an episode where Team Rocket just suddenly ran into a Zapdos. What the heck are the odds of that happening? I wouldn't be surprised if they make an episode where Ash and company help a baby Dialga find it's way home. Seriously, it's getting to that point! Does anyone know what I mean?

Edit: It's even come to the point where I doubt if a Pokemon is really legendary or not. Like Shaymin or Phione, because in the anime there were so many of them.

dude i have noticed that too it dosent make sense but i guess they are ledgendary for what they can do. not for their rarity

Paj Meen Ah

In For The Kill
Well, Articuno was kind of hard to get to in the Seafoam Islands if you didn't know what you were doing. You could leave the place without ever getting to it. Zapdos was located in a completely optional building that was actually kind of out of the way. I'm not sure on Moltres, but I think its little room in Victory Road was entirely skippable. Then there's the fact that Poke Balls could miss back in the day. I'm not sure on the mechanics of that, but it sure made those birds seem a lot harder to capture.

I think Moltres was the only one that you had to be really unlucky to miss completely. He's just standing there on a plinth in Victory Road as you walk past, IIRC.

icedarkwatertype

mwahahahahahahahaha
idea

well, I read a fanfic (a really LONG fanfic) and I agree with it. well ash was born while mew was resting in a tree in his backyard or somthing so he was born with a weak aciadental blessing: he subconsiously tracked Legendarys wherever they went and if they were close they would unknowingly be drawn to him. ^_^

Aresol

Caring Wanderer
well, I read a fanfic (a really LONG fanfic) and I agree with it. well ash was born while mew was resting in a tree in his backyard or somthing so he was born with a weak aciadental blessing: he subconsiously tracked Legendarys wherever they went and if they were close they would unknowingly be drawn to him. ^_^

That's a fanfic. A fanfic!
It's not some option to agree with because it's not even canon.
It's created by a fan!
Oh and if you're going to blindly believe something made by a fan of the show then believe something a little better made up.

pokemaster001

It's even come to the point where I doubt if a Pokemon is really legendary or not. Like Shaymin or Phione, because in the anime there were so many of them.
you can have lots of phione and I think shaymin is just having substitutes
or something....
yeah, I don't know really
but I refuse to believe there's more than one legendary
He's just standing there on a plinth in Victory Road as you walk past, IIRC.
yeah, I remember I was like
OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THAT? and I figure out it's moltres
good times
gooood times

Machete

Games=/=Anime

Back on Generation I, the only really legendary pokémon was Mew. Mewtwo was just very powerful, and Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres were just rare, strong bird pokémon.

Now, on Generation IV, they really feel like legendaries. Dialga and Palkia, Heatran, Regigigas, Arceus, the lake trio...

If anything, they're becoming way too legendary. It's not believable that a normal trainer manages to capture Dialga, Palkia, Giratina or Arceus.

teetee99

Pokemon master
One ledgendary is kinda getting old its mew beacause you never even hardly see mew in any pokemon episodes you only see mew in pokemon lucario and the mystery of mew!
But all the other ledgendaries still have a little rareness to em!

BCVM22

It's not believable that a normal trainer manages to capture Dialga, Palkia, Giratina or Arceus.

And now name one thing about the franchise itself, any franchise under Nintendo's auspices or most video games in general that qualifies as "believable."

Machete

And now name one thing about the franchise itself, any franchise under Nintendo's auspices or most video games in general that qualifies as "believable."
That's not what I said. Of course, the whole concept of Pokémon is impossible, but, that's just the base of Pokémon. Some random kid captures small animals who become huge war machines and fights against other people. The thing is that you can believe that, somehow, you can control these powerful monsters, because that's the point of the game. However, even accepting that, it's hard to believe that some random kid can control the creator of the Universe.

It's not like in The Legend of Zelda. In that game, you're the hero chosen by the godesses who has to defeat an ancient demon. Fighting against huge monsters, killing powerful enemies, being able to resist so many hits is not believable in the real world, but it's believable when you consider that Link is the hero.

In Pokémon, you're just a normal kid doing what everybody does: training pokémon. You can believe that he captures rare, powerful pokémon; but it's hard to believe that you, a normal guy, are able to capture pokémon such as Dialga and Palkia.

BCVM22

If you're willing to suspend your disbelief enough to accept everything else about the game, there's no reason you can't believe, that for the purposes of gameplay, that legendarily powerful Pokémon can be captured by the gamer.

Shadow_lugia991

Fish sticks
I dont get the thing with legendaries in the games. YOU CAN CATCH THEM.
In the anime, I didnt see anyone with legendaries except brandon and I dont know what that was about

Last edited: