• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

legendary's

Actually Game Freak probably knows all about Smogon. Its hard to imagine them not being aware of the largest competitive community in the world focused on their game.

I doubt Gamefreak cares about Smogon, but I'm sure they know all about it.

I'd wager that they know about Smogon, but there's probably so many sites dedicated to Pokemon in some form or fashion that GameFreak really just doesn't know much about Smogon on an in-depth level.

On the other hand, I suppose Kyurem might be evidence that they know more than we think.

112_0606_cars_21z+disney_pixar_film_cars+fillmore.jpg

It's a conspiracy, man.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
What is it with you people and dissing the Regis?
Seriously,
Regice now with ice body, can be a great special wall. Weaknesses? Steel is rare, sure, fire is common, but you can't OHKO it's special side. Unless you like what? +4 flamethrower? +2(or +3, depending) fire blast? Then there's rock and stealth rock. Go get a donphan, geez.

Regirock can take it. A physical wall, if used right. Steel? Forget that. Fighting? Unless boosted or special, it ain't going to OHKO. Same with earthquake. Water? Get a poke with water absorb, will ya? Or grass, if you really have fear over being shook up, as well as grass moves.

Registeel best defense combonation, but not that much hp. It can take hits. A lot of hits. Unboosted moves will not KO. And, as a steel type, great resistances. Laughs at scizor, needing banded superpower to bring it down.

Don't dis the automated beings. Except Gigas. He should have got download as his dream world ability. The other three deserve to be in Ou again, not the RU.

Ilan

What is it with you people and dissing the Regis?
Seriously,
Regice now with ice body, can be a great special wall. Weaknesses? Steel is rare, sure, fire is common, but you can't OHKO it's special side. Unless you like what? +4 flamethrower? +2(or +3, depending) fire blast? Then there's rock and stealth rock. Go get a donphan, geez.

Regirock can take it. A physical wall, if used right. Steel? Forget that. Fighting? Unless boosted or special, it ain't going to OHKO. Same with earthquake. Water? Get a poke with water absorb, will ya? Or grass, if you really have fear over being shook up, as well as grass moves.

Registeel best defense combonation, but not that much hp. It can take hits. A lot of hits. Unboosted moves will not KO. And, as a steel type, great resistances. Laughs at scizor, needing banded superpower to bring it down.

Don't dis the automated beings. Except Gigas. He should have got download as his dream world ability. The other three deserve to be in Ou again, not the RU.

Regice:why don't just use blissey? or chansey they are better special walls...

Regirock:credily is much better choice on every set regirock can use and regirock doesn't have recover..

Registeel: it is used in UU.. skarm,ferro and bronzong are better walls though

Vandslaux

TBH, I'd use Light Metal on DW UU Registeel, if only to lower the power of Low Kick.

Sturdy's kinda cool on Regirock, though. Though yeah, most of the made to look scary legends get Unnerve or something, and most of the godlike legendaries like the creation trio get Telepathy.

Sturdy is useless on Regirock..

Clear Body: Protects against drops from Shadow Ball, Crunch, Psychic, Focus Blast, Intimidate and so on.

Sturdy: Useless with rocks down, even more useless on a Pokemon with 80 / 200 / 175 defenses (in sand). Good luck OHKOing that (Even Modest Specs Roserade does not always OHKO).

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Maybe i'm the only one that thinks so, but i find the use of legendary pokemon in any competitive format to be stupid. as everyone knows i'm sure; all legendary's have a significant advantage over most pokemon. Which in turn has the metagame split into many categories and doesn't allow many favorites among the populace to even stand a chance in the higher tiers

In fact the majority of my favorites are in UU and RU, but because i want to be able to use one or two pokemon that are found in OU on my team, i am doomed to be at a major disadvantage because i refuse to use any cheap legendary pieces. Not to mention the aesthetic sense that legendary's don't feel all that "legendary" when your opponent has the same one as you.

I for one, collect legendary pokemon just for sake of having them in my PC box or use them to sweep through the elite 4 without having to waste money on revives and potions.
So what is it about legendary pokemon to you that drives you to use them in combat?

discuss

1. There are a lot other cheap/over powered pokemon then just legendaries these include the Psuedo-legendaries(Hydreigon, Garchomp, Salamance, Metagross, Tyranitar, and Dragonite), and feild effect(Trick room, Sun, rain, sand storm, hail and gravity) users such as DW Politoad, DW Ninetails, Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Hippowdon, Bronzong(not an auto setup but is reliable for trick room), Whimsicott(priority weather abuser.)

2. UU and RU pokemon can hold their own given basic support and wreak havoc on OU teams. A prime example of a pokemon that can take on other pokemon of higher tiers is Rattata with the fear set or Aron with study, endevear, and shell bell. Those two belong in LC but can bring pokemon like Groundon and Kyogre down with litte if any work.

3. I do the same thing with elite four with the uber, special event and RU legendaries.

Zachmac

Sorry to break it to you, but fear is just turning a battle into 5vs5. Oh, and if you fail, for a reason such as fighting a ferrothorn, priority user, or are in a sandstorm, fear will fail.
Maybe i'm the only one that thinks so, but i find the use of legendary pokemon in any competitive format to be stupid. as everyone knows i'm sure; all legendary's have a significant advantage over most pokemon. Which in turn has the metagame split into many categories and doesn't allow many favorites among the populace to even stand a chance in the higher tiers
Let's look at entei. Anything it can do, Arcanine can do better. Arcanine has better coverage moves and a recovery move, mostly. Better abilities to.

Gamefreak made legendaries to be stronger, but as I said earlier, often fail because they don't keep track of the competitive metagame. Terrakion is tough, but it gets it's but kicked by Gliscor and Scizor. People worry more about Ferrothorn then they do about Registeel.
In fact the majority of my favorites are in UU and RU, but because i want to be able to use one or two pokemon that are found in OU on my team, i am doomed to be at a major disadvantage because i refuse to use any cheap legendary pieces. Not to mention the aesthetic sense that legendary's don't feel all that "legendary" when your opponent has the same one as you.
Using a legendary isn't cheap. I usually have only one or two on my team(including pseudos), or none at all. I don't even notice or care, I just choose what works the best for my team. It still ends up like that a lot.

sixonesix

VGC player
I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but you have to realize Game Freak does not give half a sh!t about the competitive ability of the pokemon they make. That's why Garchomp exists.

Well they do, but they just don't necessarily optimize it for singles.

I don't hear people complaining about Garchomp in doubles and triples, do you?

Zachmac

Well they do, but they just don't necessarily optimize it for singles.

I don't hear people complaining about Garchomp in doubles and triples, do you?
Actually, game freak bans are based completely on if they are events or major legendaries. They don't test to see if they are balanced, they only glimpse at their BST. They also create bans just to remove glitches.

I'm assuming events aren't allowed because not everyone can get a hold of them, even if they buy multiple games.

Psycho Cut

Actually Game Freak probably knows all about Smogon. Its hard to imagine them not being aware of the largest competitive community in the world focused on their game.

I doubt Gamefreak cares about Smogon, but I'm sure they know all about it.
Yeah, I remember reading OMN's Black and White preview and in it there were 5 boxes to the side in which were questions posed to the producers (Masuda etc) about various stuff. One of them was 'Balancing The Game' which, as you can probably guess, was asking how GF balanced the game. The relpy mentioned that GF looked at things like tournaments to see which pokemon are heavily used, and then perhaps bring something in to balance that out. Though it did go on to mention how GF didn't generally create pokemon with a specific competetive purpose and that 'it's good to see players come up with sets of their own'

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Sorry to break it to you, but fear is just turning a battle into 5vs5. Oh, and if you fail, for a reason such as fighting a ferrothorn, priority user, or are in a sandstorm, fear will fail.
Let's look at entei. Anything it can do, Arcanine can do better. Arcanine has better coverage moves and a recovery move, mostly. Better abilities to.

While Fear does turn a battle to a five on five, a two on two, or a three on three depending on the type of battle, it can cause massive problems if it takes down a serious threat or a key component in a team.

As for Entei vs Arcanine, If some RNGed their special event Entei(used RNGing to get their special Entei near pefect stats or perfect stats(and lets face it some one has more then likely done this more then once.)) then it would supass Arcanine in 3 categories.

Entei has higher attack so it does a little more damage.
Entei has higher speed so if both use extremespeed it outraces Arcanine(if they have the same natures.)
Entei has higher HP and def(while it does have lower s.def) so it takes a little more damage to KO.

As for the others Gliscor and Scizor are two of the most popular pokemon to use to counter physcial sweeper like Terrakion(both of which are more then capable at holding their own in ubers, while Terrakion is limit to OU(unless pared with an appropiate team mate like Tyranitar).), While comparing Ferrothorn to Registeel is like comparing Gyarados to Magickarp(okay so Registeel isn't that bad but still Ferrothorn is a monster who like Gliscor and Scizor can easily go into the uber tier and cause trouble.)

Zachmac

Entei has higher attack so it does a little more damage.
Entei has higher speed so if both use extremespeed it outraces Arcanine(if they have the same natures.)
Entei has higher HP and def(while it does have lower s.def) so it takes a little more damage to KO.
Offensively, Arcanine's move pool is much better, so a slightly stronger flare blitz won't do much for it, and unlike Arcanine, Entei lacks coverage. Arcanine has intimidate to take physical hits better, and a recovery move in morning sun. It doesn't have a set nature, unlike the event Entei(the only one worth using).
While Fear does turn a battle to a five on five, a two on two, or a three on three depending on the type of battle, it can cause massive problems if it takes down a serious threat or a key component in a team.
In other words, you say save it for later to take out whatever you can't handle? Well then, it'll probably be beaten by the popular stealth rock or sand storm. If it's a lead, you won't have much control over what you take out, so it might not be so useful. Finally, as a "remove one threat" after sacrificing a pokemon, it's better to use a powerful choice scarfer or a Wobbuffet.