• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Autobot N

It is pretty wild that we've only gotten 1 Mythical Pokemon for the entire generation. I wonder if that was always the plan or if Covid messed things up

Red and Blue

It is pretty wild that we've only gotten 1 Mythical Pokemon for the entire generation. I wonder if that was always the plan or if Covid messed things up
Might be due to Covid and the lack of two more animated movies before Gen 9

Pokemon Power

If they decide to update Legends one more time before Scarlet and Violet come out, I'm hoping they add connectivity with regular forms of Hisuian form Pokemon, as well as Alolan and Galarian forms for other available Pokemon in the game. I've been looking to transfer some of the extra Alolan forms I got from the Alolan Diglett side-quest from Sword and Shield's Expansion Pass to Legends, just so there's a spot for them.

PCN24454

If they decide to update Legends one more time before Scarlet and Violet come out, I'm hoping they add connectivity with regular forms of Hisuian form Pokemon, as well as Alolan and Galarian forms for other available Pokemon in the game. I've been looking to transfer some of the extra Alolan forms I got from the Alolan Diglett side-quest from Sword and Shield's Expansion Pass to Legends, just so there's a spot for them.
The same with BDSP.

If Let’s Go could do it, why can’t they?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You know, I was thinking back about what I said about the Volo + Giratina fight. While I might stand by with most of what I said about it, I can at least appreciate the attempt Game Freak made for this type of moment in the game. I can also appreciate the likely fact that different people have different expectations and get something different from the battle. This game doesn't have a whole lot of human battles, so levels may vary. There are also different things people want from this fight. Some people like me would be dissapointed that the Volo proper fight would be too easy or the Giratina segment be too unfairly difficult. Others might see the Volo segment as sort of the preemptive farce segment of the battle and consider Giratina the true battle. I guess what I'm saying here is that your expectations and your own personal tastes can affect how you see this part of the game.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think the biggest thing that made Volo difficult was that you really needed decent ELs for it. And because it's a new mechanic (really an overhauled mechanic, but it's something new that we've never encountered in previous games) and the game didn't explain how they work, a lot of people were caught off guard by how strong Volo's Pokemon might've been compared to theirs. Not having a lot of trainer battles in the game was part of it as well, but most of the trainer battles are relatively easy.

PCN24454

I think the biggest thing that made Volo difficult was that you really needed decent ELs for it. And because it's a new mechanic (really an overhauled mechanic, but it's something new that we've never encountered in previous games) and the game didn't explain how they work, a lot of people were caught off guard by how strong Volo's Pokemon might've been compared to theirs. Not having a lot of trainer battles in the game was part of it as well, but most of the trainer battles are relatively easy.
No they explained how it worked. Their mistake was assuming that players would actually read the instructions.

Kinda explains why they have unskippable tutorials.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Arceus is the last Pokémon I need to catch in the game. I’m currently trying to figure out how to dodge its attacks while throwing the balms at it.

johno1995

You know, I was thinking back about what I said about the Volo + Giratina fight. While I might stand by with most of what I said about it, I can at least appreciate the attempt Game Freak made for this type of moment in the game. I can also appreciate the likely fact that different people have different expectations and get something different from the battle. This game doesn't have a whole lot of human battles, so levels may vary. There are also different things people want from this fight. Some people like me would be dissapointed that the Volo proper fight would be too easy or the Giratina segment be too unfairly difficult. Others might see the Volo segment as sort of the preemptive farce segment of the battle and consider Giratina the true battle. I guess what I'm saying here is that your expectations and your own personal tastes can affect how you see this part of the game.
I like this viewpoint on the Volo + Giratina situation. I will never forget sitting in front of my TV, beating Volo and then SHRIEKING when Giratina came out and I had to keep fighting. It was very unexpected and a really fun moment to share with friends around. I thought it was a huge twist on the formula of villain battles and really added a layer of difficulty and strategy in a game that didn't even really emphasize battling. Wasn't expecting it at all!

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just saw the sales data on the main site. Should we be concerned that BDSP outsold Legends?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I just saw the sales data on the main site. Should we be concerned that BDSP outsold Legends?

No, because BDSP's first-month sales came purely out of hype, and it plummeted immediately after.

In terms of growth, Legends sold WAY better than BDSP.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Not really. BDSP is essentially two games, and that sales data includes people who bought one of each copy.

If they broke things down by BD, SP, and Double Pack, all of those numbers would be a lot smaller.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

No. BDSP had several factors going for it such as benefitting from the holiday season and being the first of the two games releasing, we should've expected it to sell more. The fact that LA sold comparably despite BDSP having those advantages is actually kind of impressive.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The thing about dual releases is that, while I'm sure they increase sales numbers, at the same time, many people are going to buy just one version with two choices causing a decrease in sales for each version separately. Let me put it this way: if you wanted just Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl, like most people, then the sales will be split between the two games. With Legends: Arceus, you don't get a choice, so anybody wanted to buy the game is just going to buy that one game, and the sales won't split and decrease. If there was a Legends Arceus Time and a Legends Arceus Space version, for example, then they would sell individually worse than Legends Arceus did in this present reality.

Edit: I'm going to say that the "dual release multiplier" is between x1 and x2.
The games won't sell worse without it, but they won't sell twice as much or more with it.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
No. BDSP had several factors going for it such as benefitting from the holiday season and being the first of the two games releasing, we should've expected it to sell more. The fact that LA sold comparably despite BDSP having those advantages is actually kind of impressive.

I honestly expected BDSP to hit close to 20 million copies. Talk about miscalculation. lol

The thing about dual releases is that, while I'm sure they increase sales numbers, at the same time, many people are going to buy just one version with two choices causing a decrease in sales for each version separately. Let me put it this way: if you wanted just Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl, like most people, then the sales will be split between the two games. With Legends: Arceus, you don't get a choice, so anybody wanted to buy the game is just going to buy that one game, and the sales won't split and decrease. If there was a Legends Arceus Time and a Legends Arceus Space version, for example, then they would sell individually worse than Legends Arceus did in this present reality.

Edit: I'm going to say that the "dual release multiplier" is between x1 and x2.
The games won't sell worse without it, but they won't sell twice as much or more with it.

Well, no one really counts main series Pokémon games as two titles, not even Nintendo, considering they are quite literally the same game.

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are one game split into two variations. Only among fans is there a significance to which version is purchased over the other.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Well, no one really counts main series Pokémon games as two titles, not even Nintendo, considering they are quite literally the same game.

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are one game split into two variations. Only among fans is there a significance to which version is purchased over the other.
More of my point was that I believe there is a mulplicative effect when these titles come in pairs. Somewhere between selling 1x to 2x as many copies compared to a standalone. Of course, there are other factors, but that is a contributor.