• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Loved, loved, loved the new trailer. I didn't even imagine new forms/Pokémon, and now I'm super excited.

Interesting they didn't show Arceus at the end. Some new form or appearance?

ShadowForce720

So in regards to Hisuian Growlithe do you think it will evolve into a Hisuian Arcanine or will it take a page out of Galarian Meowth’s and Galarian Yamask’s playbook and evolve into a entirely new Pokémon?

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if some brand new Pokémon are introduced that are not regional forms or evolutions to past gen Pokémon.

Luthor

So in regards to Hisuian Growlithe do you think it will evolve into a Hisuian Arcanine or will it take a page out of Galarian Meowth’s and Galarian Yamask’s playbook and evolve into a entirely new Pokémon?

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if some brand new Pokémon are introduced that are not regional forms or evolutions to past gen Pokémon.

Either is possible. My guess at the moment is a Hisuian Arcanine but that's a pure guess based on the limited changes.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles

That may be the case for bosses since the leaked image that showed it does not seem to relate to any current pokemon even though many force the appearance of Farfetch'd on it.

Which I don't get when the boss had axes for hands.

TwilightBlade

Not a fan of the Stantler evo since the original Stantler is such a boring Pokemon and the new evolved form barely fixes that. It looks alot like the Winter Form of Sawsbuck too which makes it look a bit unoriginal.

Really like the new Basculin evo however. I always felt that Basculin on its own was too ugly and boring but the evolved form looks kind of cool plus it being half Ghost type is a nice twist. :]

G-SANtos

I didn't expect Sinnoh to have had a different name in the past, but I guess it makes sense, as Hokkaido used to be named Ezo. This also gives us an easy way to refer to both versions in a conversation, and solves the problem of how regional forms would be named. Seriously, could you imagine "Ancient Sinnohan Growlithe" as an official term?

Makes me wonder about future Legends games. Well, a lot of places in the world had different names through the eras, even countries. And if we ever get an Ultra Space game, will Ultra Megalopolis get a different name?

But now, if Game Freak ever decides to put more anime/movie characters in the games (for, say, a Let's Go sequel), they can't use Hisui (Harriet) from The Power of Us. But what I find curious is the name. "Hisui" means "jade". Are they associating Arceus's green gems with jades? Is Arceus going to get a green jade-themed form. The announcement trailer also had some green lighting at the end, if I remember correctly.

You know what's weird, in the Japanese version the Galaxy Team has the same name as Team Galactic, and yet, Jubilife has a different name. What the heck are the localizers thinking?
EDIT: Nevermind, I mistook the "ko" (コ) in Kotobuki (コトブキ) for a "yu" (ユ) because of the Japanese video's font.

And finally, we have furigana in the main series. I was thinking Game Freak would never do that.

Basculegion probably has a blue form, and the one in the trailer evolves from the Red-Striped form. On the other hand, are we sure the new Pokémon aren't evolving from regional forms? With Sirfetch'd we assumed it evolved from the Farfetch'd we always, but then the game comes out and there's a Galarian Farfetch'd that wasn't in any trailer.

Anyway, I'm now sure new Pokémon mid-Gen will become the norm from now on. Actually, considering Hisui is basically being marketed as its own region, I think the concept of "new region = new Gen" might be dead. We can now have a new region be introduced in the main series without changing Generation. In fact, since SwSh -> PLA has a graphics transition equivalent to that of a Generation jump, I think we can finally retire the very idea of Generations, which was always a fan concept anyway.

And with that said, can we finally kill the theory of Gen 9 coming in 2022? There's no way GF is working on both this super polished masterpiece and a new Gen at the same time. I'm not even sure about 2023 anyway. We might actually get a XY port or Pokémon Z, since it'll be the 10th anniversary of the main series fully going 3D (and Greninja, the most popular Pokémon in Japan, is strangely not in SwSh, even after DLC).

The fact we haven't seen the Starter Evolutions could mean we actually get something new. My theory:
-Rowlet -> Hisuian Dartrox -> New Pokémon
-Cyndaquil -> Hisuian Quilava -> New Pokémon
-Oshawott -> Hisuian Dewott -> New Pokémon

I think not-Samurott will be Water/Fighting because of a Masters-related theory I have that I'll put in another post.
And not-Typhlosion might be a bear. Quilava is a badger, and the Japanese word for that means "hole bear". Bears are sacred in Ainu culture, and Cyndaquil is the odd one out of the Starters, as it's the only one not based on an animal important to Ainu culture.

Everyone is already figuring Denboku (Kamado) and Shimaboshi (Cyllene) are ancestors to Nanakamado (Rowan) and Akagi (Cyrus), but people are apparently having trouble figuring out Laven (Laventon). Well, let me help.

So, Laven seems to be Hapu'u's ancestor, and he's even named after a flower whose name is also the name of a shade of purple, and Poni is Hawaiian for "purple". If he's Hapu'u's ancestor, that probably means he's from Alola. I wonder what implications this will have considering we have Totem-like bosses, Ride Pokémon, the fact Multitype works with Z-Crystals, and also the Strong Style symbol sort of resembles the Z-Move symbol.

With SM apparently having many Sinnoh references (or so I heard), being about other dimensions, and the fact they mention a third Type: Null is missing, almost as if it's to justify you catching in another game, I've been wondering if a Sinnoh remake was originally planned for Gen 7 but got scrapped, maybe for LGPE. With Kusaka strongly implying Moon is Platinum's sister in PokéSpe, and he once said he has access to beta versions of the games (in fact, he even foreshadowed Red becoming a Gym Leader in chapter 38, and we know from the beta leaks this was once planned for GSC), reinforced that belief for me.

But now that we have in Totems and Ride Pokémon in what is essentially a Sinnoh game, I'm fully convinced Gen 7 was once going to have DP remakes. Why? Because we know Game Freak has been reusing scrapped ideas in every game after Gen 6.
Here, the XYSider leak, a March 2014 4chan post that claimed XY was once about aliens and describes scrapped ideas in specific ways that managed to predict future games with too much accuracy to be just a coincidence.
-Sports-themed Gym Leaders? That's Galar.
-Aliens with weird eyes? That's the Ultra Recon Squad, and Xerosicy even has a similar skin color as them.
-Fleur-de-lis (Lysandre) was a researcher possessed by an alien rock? Lusamine is a researcher and gets possessed by Nihilego, a Rock-type alien.
-Pansy (Alexa) was a missing person possibly abducted many years ago? Mohn is a missing person who ended up in Ultra Space many years ago.
-Viola was a ghost photographer? Acerola's trial is about photographing ghosts.
-Mega Stones were broken pieces of AZ's spaceship? Z-Crystals are broken pieces of Necrozma's body and Wishing Stars are broken pieces from Eternatus's body.
-Gojika (Olympia) had something to do with the Legendaries? In the anime, she foresees Zygarde coming.
-Handsome (Looker) was originally in Kalos to investigate aliens? That's literally his role in SM.
-Fleur-de-lis's weird gizmo was made by Citron (Clemont)? In the Pokémon SPECIAL manga, Team Flare kidnaps him and forces him to create said equipment, and I already mentioned the author has access to beta builds.
In terms of plot or design, the only thing on XYSider's post that doesn't have any similarity with any game so far is "Pokémon Professor villain", and it's exactly why I think in Gen 9 the villain will be the Professor, if it doesn't happen in this game (which, by the way, was one of the very first fan theories for LA).

And on XYSider's claim about Fleur-de-lis and Platane (Sycamore) originally being the same character, we know from a different leak (here) that XY was supposed to have two Professors. Look at PokéBeach's post: "The professor’s English name is Patrice.", "Another professor named Sycamore gives you either Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle.". The PokéBeach leak suggests Platane was a secondary Professor, like Araragi Sr. (Cedric Juniper), and pretty clearly says Patrice is the main one. This character was scrapped, and is the only thing in the PokéBeach leak to not be in the final game. The main Professor was scrapped. Why? We don't know, but Hematite on Smogon forums has suggested that this character is the one who was actually Fleur-de-lis, and XYSider mistook someone telling them about "the Professor" as referring to Platane. You can read Hematite's analysis here.

And Dande (Leon) himself seems to be a scrapped idea from SM. The Alolan Hiker in XY says his region's Champion is "really something else", but SM doesn't have a Champion, even though it happens after XY. Then, the very next game introduces an "unbeatable Champion", something that actually fits the description of "really something else". HoopsandHipHop has an entire video about it.

So yeah, there's a very clear pattern here of every game since SM recycling past scrapped ideas, and in this context the Sinnoh prequel having Ride Pokémon and Totem-like bosses, in my opinion, suggests a Gen 7 DP remake was scrapped in favor of LGPE. The fact the USUM trailers used light-themed names for the protagonists, just like Sinnoh, is icing on the cake.

The main/playable characters are named Akari & Rei according to the website
And in Japanese, the boy is Teru (テル) and the girl is Shō (ショウ), which are both derived from 照る / 照 (to shine), keeping Sinnoh's light theme.

I'm assuming Basculegion doesn't have any forms since it incorporates elements from both Basculin forms.
I doubt it. I can kinda see that the side fins resembles the Blue-Striped's fins, but Basculegion has absolutely no blue in it. If they were going to have a two-form Pokémon evolve into a single form Pokémon, I don't think they would use the defining feature of only one form in it, which in this case means they wouldn't have it only have red stripes. They would use both red and blue in the design, or at the ery least mix them into purple.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we'll see a blue form for Basculegion. Alcremie having multiple forms wasn't revealed from the get-go. Not every Pokémon with multiple forms has them all announced together.

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

It looks like we have to catch multiples of the same Pokemon, I hope evolution counts as a capture. Also, I'm going to have to give each one a nickname to distinguish who is who assuming we don't release the extras.

I'm also wondering if the angry Pokemon have any special strengths after they're beaten and captured.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
If we got an alternative evo for Dewott that's Water/Fighting (and hopefully bipedal for cooler action movement), I'm definetely picking it as my starter.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The new Pokemon and variants r cool but I am really not a fan of these games. Seems too creative for my liking and dont feel like Pokemon games, but more as a Botwh spinoff. Atleast DP remakes r released sooner <3

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
The new Pokemon and variants r cool but I am really not a fan of these games. Seems too creative for my liking and dont feel like Pokemon games, but more as a Botwh spinoff. Atleast DP remakes r released sooner <3
You sure do like being a hypocrite regarding “creativity” or whatever considering 75%-90% of your comments are essentially just you complaining about something.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
You sure do like being a hypocrite regarding “creativity” or whatever considering 75%-90% of your comments are essentially just you complaining about something.
Excuse me? I said that it doesnt work for me.
Other people like it? Thats good, I dont have any problem with that and respect hat.
And ur comments 99 % of the time is arguing with ppl. or saying negative stuff. Pathetic

Luthor

One fun thing I noticed is that the Pokedex shows there are two forms for Shinx (which I assume is its gender difference). Now this is not unusual but it shows that despite the Pokedex being much more low tech it still has at least the facility for different forms. So that's good.

MrJechgo

Not a fan of the Stantler evo since the original Stantler is such a boring Pokemon and the new evolved form barely fixes that. It looks alot like the Winter Form of Sawsbuck too which makes it look a bit unoriginal.
We all said that about Farfetch'd... and looked what happened XD
Really like the new Basculin evo however. I always felt that Basculin on its own was too ugly and boring but the evolved form looks kind of cool plus it being half Ghost type is a nice twist. :]
Water/Ghost was also Jellicent only, so getting another rep is cool, not to mention that Basculin also had no evo ;)