• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Oh it's a evolution? Even better. Guess there will be new Pokemon in this game after all
ya Wyrdeer and Basculegion are both entirely new Pokemon evolutions.

LordSerperior

As if the concept of the game wasn't enough to sell this to me, they add some amazing new regional forms and new evolutions. Basculin needed an evolution. I'm assuming Basculegion doesn't have any forms since it incorporates elements from both Basculin forms.

We've finally seen some human characters but I'm still hoping there's some actual trainers outside the village as well. I'm not particularly hopeful as they reiterated that this is a time when the human and Pokemon worlds were separate. Would love to see indigenous Hisuian people working against the foreign expedition (I mean this is clearly a precursor to Team Galactic) but I'm not sure if the game would want to address something as serious as colonization.

Maxim

Beyond repair
I have mixed feelings about the fact that the region is named Hisui.

At one hand, I like it, because it's a reference to how the real-life Hokkaido was also renamed. Before 1869, its name was Ezo.
At the other hand, I feel that they did it to throw most of the present/past equivalencies out of the window. Even the geography doesn't quite match. But the region map does show a bunch of familiar places, so maybe it won't be that bad.

I also don't like the fact that this game uses modern terminology like PokeBalls and PokeDex. I think it would be more fitting if they were call something else, to make it feel more like a predcessor, rather than the same thing. Especially that it was a well-established fact that the one to invent PokeDex was nobody else but Samuel Oak. So, to me it seems like a worldbuilding conflict.

Also, "Hisui" causes one more problem. Sinjoh Ruins... I think we're supposed to forget about them, sadly.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
If anyone wasn’t satisfied with the concept of hand-made steam-powered Pokéballs six months ago, they aren’t going to be satisfied when the games come out. It’s not like they’re showing off a high-tech PC system and cellphones. It’s a very minor technological incongruence at the absolute most, and it’s one that’s necessary to keep the vision and mechanics of the series consistent with prior titles. A core series Pokémon game without the most iconic symbol of the franchise is just not going to be a thing, and this was just about the most realistic way to implement century-old Pokéballs they could have come up with. I don’t see what the problem is.
it's not like you need pokeballs for a pokemon game to work. Since we're going old school here why not come up with a different concept for storing pokemon? Something that serves as a prototype for the "pokeball revolution"

Ultra Beast Lover

I wonder if the townspeople will react if I charge into town with Wyrdeer. I'm also wondering how this'll work. Do we bond with certain Pokemon and call upon them? Do we keep their pokeballs in a special pouch?

Also, we can probably expect at least one more new Pokemon. According to the leaked photos there was a Pokemon we could ride on across the land which is Wyrdeer, a Pokemon who could fly, Braviery, and one that'll climb rocks.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
it's not like you need pokeballs for a pokemon game to work. Since we're going old school here why not come up with a different concept for storing pokemon? Something that serves as a prototype for the "pokeball evolution"

The first problem with that is that it’s been established that modern Pokéballs are at least a century or so old now, with predecessor versions probably extending a good while past that. In the anime, we’ve even seen ancient stone Pokéballs. The form factor has been established as being the historically consistent way to capture Pokémon. Further, though, I’ll mention again that this is a core series game - taking the Pokéball out of the equation just wouldn’t really be likely from a marketing and creative perspective. It’s too inherent to the experience, in my opinion.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
We also see that Galarian Weezing is present at this time due to the pokemon shaped smoke stacks.
Which would make sense given that they're implied to have come into existence during the pokemon world's equivalent of the Industrial Revolution (which likely took place a longer time ago than in our world).
I also don't like the fact that this game uses modern terminology like PokeBalls and PokeDex. I think it would be more fitting if they were call something else, to make it feel more like a predcessor, rather than the same thing. Especially that it was a well-established fact that the one to invent PokeDex was nobody else but Samuel Oak. So, to me it seems like a worldbuilding conflict.
While you may have a point on the pokedex (albeit even then, Oak invented the electronic pokedex, there's no proof he was the first person to ever shorten the name for a book form pokemon index into "pokedex"), when was it ever said that "PokeBall" is a modern term? It's long been established they've existed for quite some time.

<><><>

On another note, the emphasis they put on Cyllene being your ally is interesting, given she's pretty obviously one of Cyrus' ancestors. Assuming it holds true that she's an ally, I expect we'll still get some foreshadowing of the parental behaviors that helped create Cyrus.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I wonder if the townspeople will react if I charge into town with Wyrdeer. I'm also wondering how this'll work. Do we bond with certain Pokemon and call upon them? Do we keep their pokeballs in a special pouch?

Also, we can probably expect at least one more new Pokemon. According to the leaked photos there was a Pokemon we could ride on across the land which is Wyrdeer, a Pokemon who could fly, Braviery, and one that'll climb rocks.
Ya its silhouette was like a mix of Nuzleaf and Gallade, with a knapsack.

The photos leaked did showo a menu where it looked like your team tab and a deer head (which people assuemed to be the ride menu) were seperate. I think it will be just like the Ride Pokemon in gen 7 with you unlocking the ability to use them after catching them.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Which would make sense given that they're implied to have come into existence during the pokemon world's equivalent of the Industrial Revolution (which likely took place a longer time ago than in our world).

While you may have a point on the pokedex (albeit even then, Oak invented the electronic pokedex, there's no proof he was the first person to ever shorten a book form pokemon index into "pokedex"), when was it ever said that "PokeBall" is a modern term? It's long been established they've existed for quite some time.

<><><>

On another note, the emphasis they put on Cyllene being your ally is interesting, given she's pretty obviously one of Cyrus' ancestors. Assuming it holds true that she's an ally, I expect we'll still get some foreshadowing of the parental behaviors that helped create Cyrus.
And it's clear that the electronic Pokedex is not in this game.

Morax

King of heroes
The first problem with that is that it’s been established that modern Pokéballs are at least a century or so old now, with predecessor versions probably extending a good while past that. In the anime, we’ve even seen ancient stone Pokéballs. The form factor has been established as being the historically consistent way to capture Pokémon. Further, though, I’ll mention again that this is a core series game - taking the Pokéball out of the equation just wouldn’t really be likely from a marketing and creative perspective. It’s too inherent to the experience, in my opinion.
Too risky huh? I guess that kills every argument ever.

Ultra Beast Lover

Also, can we just talk about how scary rage mode Ursaring is? The other rage mode Pokemon just have red eyes and fire attacks at you, Ursaring actively chases you down. Drapion chases you to but somehow it's scarier when Ursaring does it. Also, here's a list of all rage mode Pokemon I could find:

Luxray

Gyrados

Ursaring

Drapion

Garchomp

Probopass

Tangrowth

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Technically Corsola beat it, and it appears that Wyrdeer evolves directly from normal Stantler.

Didn't see the Evolution part in the video. Was gonna ask why Wydeer wasn't just a Hisui form.

Does Basculegion evolve from Basculin then too?