• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

NeedsAName

the theory that these starters become secondary dark, fighting and psychic typing may be the case because it was originally the type triangle thought of for the actual starters of gen 4 when Game Freak was conceptualizing the game.

They wanted to get away from grass, fire, water to bring it home that this was a tougher, darker region.
IIRC I'm pretty sure that was an unsubstantiated rumor from 2005 or 2006 before Diamond and Pearl came out.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Then again it wouldn't be unheard of for them to redo starter typings.

*Blaziken-Infernape-Emboar*
I'm still waiting for another Water/Steel type that isn't Empoleon (Don't care if it's a Starter or not)

I love Empoleon but I want something different. Something Faster since Empoleon isn't quite known for having the greastest Base Speed

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I'm still waiting for another Water/Steel type that isn't Empoleon (Don't care if it's a Starter or not)

I love Empoleon but I want something different. Something Faster since Empoleon isn't quite known for having the greastest Base Speed
Kabutops needs more love. Give it a Hisuian form with a new typing (Water/Steel) and a completely different ability.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
IIRC I'm pretty sure that was an unsubstantiated rumor from 2005 or 2006 before Diamond and Pearl came out.

I'm not so sure about that as I recall not long ago (within 5 years at least) reading an interview with Game Freak over the conception of Gen 4.

Went into detail on how the region was pitched (lights off and under desks)
The original starter type triangle
Changing the number of pokemon you could carry
Than going on about the themes about the actual starters

Whish I could back it up though, as it seems that article has been buried by all the recent articles, news, rumours and so forth on the remakes and Legends Arceus.

Orphalesion

I'm not so sure about that as I recall not long ago (within 5 years at least) reading an interview with Game Freak over the conception of Gen 4.

Went into detail on how the region was pitched (lights off and under desks)
The original starter type triangle
Changing the number of pokemon you could carry
Than going on about the themes about the actual starters

Whish I could back it up though, as it seems that article has been buried by all the recent articles, news, rumours and so forth on the remakes and Legends Arceus.

Well that would be somewhat of a coincidence then, because I also remember the fake rumour about the Fighting/Dark/Psychic starters from the Gen 4 pre-release, there was even a picture of fakemon going around; the dark one was some sort of puppy,the fighting one a kangaroo and the psychic one...uh...I think some sort of triceratops?
People really liked those starters, but they were taken from an artist who didn't even know that they were used for a rumour.

Red and Blue

If Samurott did get a Hisuian form that was part Dark that would make me happy. I could use the Dark type coverage on my team

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Well that would be somewhat of a coincidence then, because I also remember the fake rumour about the Fighting/Dark/Psychic starters from the Gen 4 pre-release, there was even a picture of fakemon going around; the dark one was some sort of puppy,the fighting one a kangaroo and the psychic one...uh...I think some sort of triceratops?
People really liked those starters, but they were taken from an artist who didn't even know that they were used for a rumour.
If I remember correctly, the fully evolved Kalos starters are part Fighting, Dark and Psychic respectively.

Moving back to the Gen 4 starters for a minute, both Torterra and Infernape have an advantage over Empoleon for obvious reasons. The same thing can be said for Empoleon and Infernape having an advantage over Torterra and for Empoleon and Torterra having an advantage over Infernape.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Fighting/Dark/Psychic isn't a complete two-way triangle, as Dark is immune to Psychic. Like most of the things that have circulated around the fandom for years and been accepted as "hm, probably," the rumor that Psychic/Dark/Fighting were considered as primary types for the Sinnoh starters doesn't quite hold up when you look closely.

Orphalesion

I really hope they get Hisuian forms though, since I'm not all that much of a fan of Samurott, Thyplosion or Decidueye as they are.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m at least 60% sure the starters will either get Hisuian forms or new evolutions, the thing I’m curious about though if the same thing will be said for their mid stage evolutions.

Dewott’s currently my favorite mid stage starter, though I’d love to see it get a new Water/Dark type design. Plus, Quilava and Dartrix both look pretty cool, though it’s be nice if they got Hisuian forms too

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I would definitely not be opposed to a different Dartrix look....the hair ****ing annoys me. I'm happy I only had Dartrix for like 1 level before getting Decidueye.

Will clarify cause its super fun.

Had an everstone on Rowlet till Totem Mimikyu where within the trial it evolved into Dartrix just before Mimikyu and helped win the battle. Heading back to Aether House, I battled Plumeria and in between her Pokemon, Dartrix leveled up. However Salazzle poisoned it before defeating her and fainted after her Salazzle fainted. Finishing and *winning* the battle.

Then my fainted Dartrix evolved into the secondary ghost typed Decidueye.

Very fitting.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
Am I the only one who doesn't want new starter forms? Like that would open up a can of worms that I don't want open. Like people are gonna beg for more starter changes, or talk about how unfair it was. Or gamefreak will just keep giving starters regional variants, instead of pokemon that need them.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Am I the only one who doesn't want new starter forms? Like that would open up a can of worms that I don't want open. Like people are gonna beg for more starter changes, or talk about how unfair it was. Or gamefreak will just keep giving starters regional variants, instead of pokemon that need them.
I agree. Its not fair that some starters get something (looking at u Kanto starters that also got Mega Evolution AND Gmax) and some don't

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
I don't mind if it's a form identical to Battle Bond, especially if other starters outside Kanto, Hoenn and Galar can potentially have one in an update/DLC... At least Greninja won't have the monopoly of those kind of forms...

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I can't help, but wonder if the Gyarados on the northern-side of the map is a reference to the starting sequence of Diamond and Pearl. It does look like a Shiny.

DPZ89gR.png

Akashin

Ehh, I'm fully on board with it, provided it's done in a way that makes sense (see Wulava's post) conceptually. I don't see a fundamental difference between people clamoring for new Starter regional variants and people making wishlists for prospective regional variants as-is, anyway. It just means that Starters won't necessarily be exempt from those wishlists.

But then, I've never cared the slightest bit about the notion of things being kept fair where the Starters are concerned. Beyond the oversaturation of the Kanto Starters, which has gotten a bit much, I have zero issue with the fact that only two sets of Starters have Megas, or that only the Alola Starters got Z-Moves, or that only Greninja got a new form among the Kalos Starters, etc..