• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
For Rowlet

For Oshawott

For Cyndaquill

I believe that Mythology is a much more likely parallel they'll draw since referencing an era would likely reference the history (Not sure that they would like to show Colonisation in a game for kids). Mythology is much more safer.

Simply put, Owls (Rowlet) provides fortunes. Volcanoes (Cyndaquill) represent life force, and Otters (Oshawott) are a sign of death.

Orphalesion

I am eager to see how much the game will focus on the story. Not having a gym quest and being different to the classic experience, the story is probably going to be treated more prominently. Would like to have a similar approach for a story as the Explorers Mystery Dungeon games.
I'm thinking the opposite, I guess this game will have very little story and will mostly focus on exploration. Maybe some quests relating to legendaries and such.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
I'm thinking the opposite, I guess this game will have very little story and will mostly focus on exploration. Maybe some quests relating to legendaries and such.
If there's zero story to it then the game will get dry quick. You can look at almost every b-list open world game to see how it goes.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I hope Arceus gets a Totem esque fight like Ultra Necrozma. Imagining its theme playing while it’s hovering over Spear Pillar with some hypothetical alternate form is exactly what I wanted as a kid.
This is something I completely forgot about but yes, I would like to see a new form of Arceus. An Ultra Necrozma-esque final boss is the perfect way to end the game.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Most open world games tend to have a pretty shallow story for their main quest, but have a lot of depth in optional sidequests and lore. I would expect something similar here. The main storyline might have a few plot elements in the lakes and maybe Solaceon Ruins and then the climax at Spear Pillar, but that's about it. Anything else is probably going to be optional.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Seeing the older Poke Ball designs and my mentioning of Kurt earlier reminded me of this line Drayden said in B2W2.

When I was little, Poké Balls didn't exist yet. Sometimes Pokémon would run away from awful Trainers who didn't try to understand them.

I wonder if we'll ever get clarification on that line.

Will we get babby Drayden (how old IS he)? Probably not. He's not even from Sinnoh.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Seeing the older Poke Ball designs and my mentioning of Kurt earlier reminded me of this line Drayden said in B2W2.

I wonder if we'll ever get clarification on that line.

Will we get babby Drayden (how old IS he)? Probably not. He's not even from Sinnoh.

Thing is with the pokeball timeline, there could be large gaps between no pokeballs, pre-modern pokeballs and modern pokeballs depending on regions. It wouldn't be a stretch that each region advanced and stayed at different points in the creation and usage of the pokeball.

At one point Sinnoh is using steam-powered pokeballs, while Johto is using hollowed out apricorns and Unova is without.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
Personally this game is looking absolutely incredible and if they pull off even 10% of what they're aiming for, they will propel Pokemon as a franchise truly to the next level. I'm willing to forgive GF a lot given this is their first big bash at a full scale open world AAA console title (I should count SWSH but it pales in comparison to what we saw in the trailer). I only worry that, having become a devotee of Breath of the Wild in recent times and submitting to its sheer incredibleness, Legends Arceus will be held to an impossible standard by the wider community. But it's all to play for at Game Freak!

DanZamVA

Personally this game is looking absolutely incredible and if they pull off even 10% of what they're aiming for, they will propel Pokemon as a franchise truly to the next level. I'm willing to forgive GF a lot given this is their first big bash at a full scale open world AAA console title (I should count SWSH but it pales in comparison to what we saw in the trailer). I only worry that, having become a devotee of Breath of the Wild in recent times and submitting to its sheer incredibleness, Legends Arceus will be held to an impossible standard by the wider community. But it's all to play for at Game Freak!
Some of the shots that they used, definitely didn't help. There were some shots in the trailer that eerily screamed "Look, it's Pokemon Breath of the Wild" and idk if that was a good move to make or not. It's going to depend on how they can pull this off, because it's either going to be a hit or miss I feel. Regardless this is a fantastic move on their part, because once they have everything figured out they can easily improve upon it with future iterations. I'm not expecting this to be Breath of the Wild scale, in fact I'm expecting this to be pretty lackluster. The idea of it is exciting though, because it's something brand new that they haven't experimented with yet. Something fans have been wanting for a long time now.

I too am being more understanding of GF in a situation like this, since it is a drastic change in style for them. I'm willing to forgive and look past some mistakes that they are eventually going to make in this game, especially if it is completely open like it's looking. I can't give them complete leeway though, as because I don't want this to be received poorly because of poor optimization and other issues, and have them be like "Nah, this game flopped. Lets scrap this idea" or think that "hey, people bought and liked this poorly developed game. We can slack off even more". I don't care about the DP remakes, if the people like them great, but I do care greatly about this game getting the criticism it deserves as we see more about it.

If they can take Legends Arceus, and expand upon that idea more and more in the future, Pokemon could see an even bigger boom. Some people dislike open world games, I get it, there is a lot to do, it's easy to get distracted, but they are still some of the most highly anticipated games, because people love getting lost inside of the world. Look how long Skyrim went on, people played that game for years, with it still getting re-released, people still finding new things. It offered a lot in terms of exploration, story, and gameplay, that it was able to keep people coming back and wanting to experience it again and again.

Even taking a look at Breath of the Wild, there are things people can still find out by experimenting, or haven't been, providing a lot to explore. If this is done right, this game could be massive and any future iterations of this game could be huge. Imagine having free reign in a game like this, and like in Breath of the Wild with the dragons, you're exploring and you see Ho-Oh flying overhead like Ash did or you're diving underwater and you see a red glow of eyes in the dark as a Sharpedo darts towards you. Improving on the charging Sharpedos from SwSh. There are so many possibilities that could be done with a game like this, my only concern is if GF is going to be able to actually do any clever ideas and really expand upon this games concept.

Volcarona1994

I have realised the figure climbing up might be Infernape (the "hair" on the wind resembles the flame it has). Btw, do you think we will get to walk in Almia region? If i remember well, Almia is said to be based on the "tailpiece" located in the southwest of Hokkaido and Sinnoh is almost all Hokkaido excepting that part...

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I have realised the figure climbing up might be Infernape (the "hair" on the wind resembles the flame it has). Btw, do you think we will get to walk in Almia region? If i remember well, Almia is said to be based on the "tailpiece" located in the southwest of Hokkaido and Sinnoh is almost all Hokkaido excepting that part...

Too thin to be flames and is not detailed as such. There is also no tail or details that match with Infernape, even the head is wrong.

As for Almia, most likely not.

SoHowAreYou

30% chance you just predicted the DLC with Almia. Personally, the DLC, and there will definetly be DLC, is most likely be Iron Island, but maybe if they have a second one it will be Almia.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I really hope we can actually dive. I loved it in Gen lll & V and it’s such a shame that we can’t do it in the other games. With this presumably being open world I don’t see why not; I can just imagine an area similar to the Abyssal Ruins where we need to get the Splash Plate or something similar.

Yes, I'd love to see Dive back. What would make it even better is if we could swim in 3D, as in, freely diving/surfacing to whatever depth we want like most adventure games instead of just using the field move and automatically teleporting to the seafloor like in RSEORAS and BW.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Some of the shots that they used, definitely didn't help. There were some shots in the trailer that eerily screamed "Look, it's Pokemon Breath of the Wild" and idk if that was a good move to make or not. It's going to depend on how they can pull this off, because it's either going to be a hit or miss I feel. Regardless this is a fantastic move on their part, because once they have everything figured out they can easily improve upon it with future iterations. I'm not expecting this to be Breath of the Wild scale, in fact I'm expecting this to be pretty lackluster. The idea of it is exciting though, because it's something brand new that they haven't experimented with yet. Something fans have been wanting for a long time now.

I too am being more understanding of GF in a situation like this, since it is a drastic change in style for them. I'm willing to forgive and look past some mistakes that they are eventually going to make in this game, especially if it is completely open like it's looking. I can't give them complete leeway though, as because I don't want this to be received poorly because of poor optimization and other issues, and have them be like "Nah, this game flopped. Lets scrap this idea" or think that "hey, people bought and liked this poorly developed game. We can slack off even more". I don't care about the DP remakes, if the people like them great, but I do care greatly about this game getting the criticism it deserves as we see more about it.

If they can take Legends Arceus, and expand upon that idea more and more in the future, Pokemon could see an even bigger boom. Some people dislike open world games, I get it, there is a lot to do, it's easy to get distracted, but they are still some of the most highly anticipated games, because people love getting lost inside of the world. Look how long Skyrim went on, people played that game for years, with it still getting re-released, people still finding new things. It offered a lot in terms of exploration, story, and gameplay, that it was able to keep people coming back and wanting to experience it again and again.

Even taking a look at Breath of the Wild, there are things people can still find out by experimenting, or haven't been, providing a lot to explore. If this is done right, this game could be massive and any future iterations of this game could be huge. Imagine having free reign in a game like this, and like in Breath of the Wild with the dragons, you're exploring and you see Ho-Oh flying overhead like Ash did or you're diving underwater and you see a red glow of eyes in the dark as a Sharpedo darts towards you. Improving on the charging Sharpedos from SwSh. There are so many possibilities that could be done with a game like this, my only concern is if GF is going to be able to actually do any clever ideas and really expand upon this games concept.
“Its their first time doing it so the game might not be that good but we will forgive them”.
This was said about swsh and the wild area. They already had their first experiment and chance

Ultra Beast Lover

I hope we have customization. Also, a kind of interesting note is that the player character isn't smiling. All the other player characters I can think of where you could see their face smiled nearly all the time, the exception being Wes and I think Michael but it's hard to tell with the latter's character model. I doubt it has much to do with the story, just a little detail I noticed

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Now I'll go ahead and preface this by saying that isn't an expectation but a hope.

Yesterday I started a new save on shield and the opening cutscene with rose felt so jarring with the subtitles, without any voice. So I'd like there to be voice acting in Legends Arceus, not instead of subtitles but as well as.