• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Legends: Arceus - General Speculation/Discussion Thread

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
SWSH not having voice acting was just baffling. It didn’t even need to be fully-voiced, it could’ve just been reserved to cutscenes and other cinematic moments. But now they really have no excuse not to implement it in the future, especially when they create scenes with characters like Piers that genuinely need voice acting to make sense.

Ultra Beast Lover

I wonder how dark it'll get. Like, I don't expect there to be a bunch of swearing, blood, and dead bodies but the spin-offs were able to get pretty dark while still keeping it kid friendly. I'd like it to be just dark enough that the game feels like a wild ride, but not so dark that it doesn't feel like Pokemon.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm honestly not a fan of Breath of the Wild because I became sick of everyone saying it's the perfect Switch game & and how any other game that's not like it is garbage (yes SWSH has its flaws, but I never saw it as bad as people made it out to be, especially after the DLC came out to improve those flaws).

However, as a pokemon game, I'm incredibly excited for Legends since this feels like a great new direction for the franchise. I'm hoping they'll keep some aspects of the core formula like turn-based battles & connectivity with Home, but I'm eagerly awaiting to see what new changes the game will bring and how these changes will be brought over to Gen 9 (which is when I think we'll really get the fully-open world pokemon experience everyone wants)

DanZamVA

“Its their first time doing it so the game might not be that good but we will forgive them”.
This was said about swsh and the wild area. They already had their first experiment and chance
Your treating a game that's taking an action rpg open world route and trying to compare it to SwSh which was psuedo open. However a psuedo open area, and an entirely open area in terms of gameplay and design is drastically different. Not to mention the fact they've added rolling, we can see in screenshots they have added riding, climbing, and flying. Don't get me wrong, SwSh was definitely an experimental style, but saying that these are similar experiments is pretty far off especially in regards to game design and overall world view. Especially since SwSh wasn't even marketed as open, and still was being advertised as a regular route based system.

Sure we had glimpses and experiences of the wild area, but it definitely doesn't qualify as an action rpg which Legends is being advertised as. Nor does it qualify as open world, as each individual area in the wild area are treated as minute little sections which is shown simply by the map. From a game design perspective, it's definitely the easiest and most lazy way to approach a psuedo open world without it being open world. However, it's still a shallow and pale imitation of the overarching design perspective of a true open world game.

It would be the equivalent of comparing apples to oranges, and while you could argue there are similarities, such as "they are both round" or "They both have free camera" they still remain drastically different in overall tone and design. Not to mention I feel you are misunderstanding something pretty major in that I intend to forgive every little thing GF is going to do with this title, because it's "different" when that is indeed not the case. What I mean by I am going to be more lenient and understanding, is by the fact I am going to more understanding of overall gameplay mechanics and balances.

Having an open world game is no simply feat, as it requires having tons of things to do, complete freedom of exploration, a wonderfully optimized experience to avoid chugging and frame drops in areas that should feel smooth and enjoyable to explore. There are going to be things that are naturally not going to work 100% right with this being open world, and there are going to be glitches that slip through the cracks, as is the case for EVERY open world game. No game that takes this route is devoid of that, because even big game companies can't test every variable that fans will try and break the game.

That's what I am referring to when I say I will be more understanding of the game, because those types of things aren't easy to account for. What I am going to be more critical of however is going to be how smooth the game runs in certain areas, as GF is notorious for having poor optimization. I am going to be more critical of pop in, as that's detrimental to a game and they already had overworld Pokemon experience like that in SwSh, so i'm not letting excessive or horrible pop in be excusable. This is a big world, how are they going to manage to fill it up and keep people invested. Idc if it's their first time in this regard, as the whole premise of open world is to have unique landmarks, areas to explore, points of interest to make you want to go there. If this isn't there in the release, then to me this already fails at the premise it's setting out to do.

I by no means have 0 expectations to forgive 100% of what they do in this game, and just give them a free get out of jail free card because it's a brand new idea. However, I'm not going to hold them to perfect standards because as I mentioned earlier these types of games are big and require a lot of work and optimizing to make run smoothly that even big game developers struggle with. They NEED to iron out the horrible pop in though, make the world interesting to explore and not empty, and not have horrible stuttering drops at least for me to be more open to the idea of cutting them a bit more slack.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Open World is no achievement or feat after Ubisoft pushed out so many Far Cry's and Assassin's Creed's.

If a company is so behind the time that neither have you ever made a game upto the standards of a decade (or the plethora of games from 2 - 3 decades ago) nor have you catched up with the rest of the industry, then he question of understanding and going with lower expectations doesn't make sense.

You don't get to do a experiment and sell it at 60 $ when one can buy games for lesser which humiliate all the games you have ever made collectively. We're not beta testers.

But what do I know, the fandom somehow forgets any set of standards that Pokemon should be scaled to for a price of a full fledged AAA title. If EA or Ubisoft released a garbage trailer a mere one year before release and hid behind the curtain of "It's Assassin's Creed in Japan. It's a new concept. It's not going to be great. But forgive us because you get to beta test the game and pay 60 for it", then the entire community would have eaten them alive. But as long as the name Pokemon is there, the talk of quality dies down and you get excuses like 'It's a new concept' or my personal favorite 'It's a game for children'.

Either sell your outdated games for 5 $ (Hades, an indie game destroys any Pokemon game in any respect is 20 $) or get with the time and sell your game at 60 $.

Just imagine, Rockstar releases RDR2 for 60$, but instead of what is probably the most detailed open world ever and stunning graphics and what, to me was the best storytelling in a game, we get bad optimisation and an empty desert with no interactions and static NPC's and a bad storyline. When any other company does it, it's a scam. When Pokemon does it, it's a step in the right direction.

DanZamVA

Open World is no achievement or feat after Ubisoft pushed out so many Far Cry's and Assassin's Creed's.

If a company is so behind the time that neither have you ever made a game upto the standards of a decade (or the plethora of games from 2 - 3 decades ago) nor have you catched up with the rest of the industry, then he question of understanding and going with lower expectations doesn't make sense.

You don't get to do a experiment and sell it at 60 $ when one can buy games for lesser which humiliate all the games you have ever made collectively. We're not beta testers.

But what do I know, the fandom somehow forgets any set of standards that Pokemon should be scaled to for a price of a full fledged AAA title. If EA or Ubisoft released a garbage trailer a mere one year before release and hid behind the curtain of "It's Assassin's Creed in Japan. It's a new concept. It's not going to be great. But forgive us because you get to beta test the game and pay 60 for it", then the entire community would have eaten them alive. But as long as the name Pokemon is there, the talk of quality dies down and you get excuses like 'It's a new concept' or my personal favorite 'It's a game for children'.

Either sell your outdated games for 5 $ (Hades, an indie game destroys any Pokemon game in any respect is 20 $) or get with the time and sell your game at 60 $.

Just imagine, Rockstar releases RDR2 for 60$, but instead of what is probably the most detailed open world ever and stunning graphics and what, to me was the best storytelling in a game, we get bad optimisation and an empty desert with no interactions and static NPC's and a bad storyline. When any other company does it, it's a scam. When Pokemon does it, it's a step in the right direction.
This isn't exclusive to Pokemon, you're going to have this with every single game that has issues that range from slight to game breaking. You had people that were defending Cyberpunk tooth and nail, despite the game being a game breaking disaster and even requiring multiple apologies from the company. Yet people were adamant that the game was fine, and that people arguing that it was NOT fine were the problem. RDR2 you had people saying that the game was running fine even though there were horrendous bug issues on certain platforms. Ubisoft you have people who were fine with exp multipliers being added and not being an issue, with others finding the way they added them after a scummy practice.

It doesn't matter if it's Pokemon, Ubisoft, CD Projekt Red, or EA, because as long as there are video games that are being released you're going to have the people who consider the practices shitty and will slowly forgive if they see improvements being made, or the people who are going to sit and claim that everything is fine despite the game breaking glitches or the horrible practices being put into place. This has never been an issue that's exclusive to Pokemon, and has been around for years.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
This isn't exclusive to Pokemon, you're going to have this with every single game that has issues that range from slight to game breaking. You had people that were defending Cyberpunk tooth and nail, despite the game being a game breaking disaster and even requiring multiple apologies from the company. Yet people were adamant that the game was fine, and that people arguing that it was NOT fine were the problem. RDR2 you had people saying that the game was running fine even though there were horrendous bug issues on certain platforms. Ubisoft you have people who were fine with exp multipliers being added and not being an issue, with others finding the way they added them after a scummy practice.

It doesn't matter if it's Pokemon, Ubisoft, CD Projekt Red, or EA, because as long as there are video games that are being released you're going to have the people who consider the practices shitty and will slowly forgive if they see improvements being made, or the people who are going to sit and claim that everything is fine despite the game breaking glitches or the horrible practices being put into place. This has never been an issue that's exclusive to Pokemon, and has been around for years.

NOTE :- I don't want to ruin your fun.

I sure wasn't told by 12 people that I should be grateful that Ubisoft is releasing the next Assassin's creed when I said the combat is stupidly repetitive and the story is lacking.

And there are always people who like the game. There are always people who hate the game. But this concept that I should be forgiving and understanding after I paid 60 $ for the game ?

I said it once and I'll say it again, I'm not a beta tester for your game. You (GF) don't sell me a product at 60 $ and get away with it by saying we will improve later. I paid for this game. I want to play this game. I'm not donating you money.

It's the same company that never once bothered to change it's super exploitable enemy AI or the outdated battle mechanics in 25 years. Legends also has the same system as evident from the UI shown in the end of the direct.

EA has probably become the worst offenders of game companies using unhealthy business practices. But NO, Pokemon is far worse than EA or any other game developer.

EA has atleast published great games in the past. Mass Effect 1 & 2, Titanfall and also released Star Wars : Jedi Fallen Order which is a good game. Not the best of their generation or year, but good games that enough content for 60. Good combat, interesting storylines, great graphics etc.

Pokemon however has never once released a game that is even close to high effort indie games (Hades again, for reference). The only one that was revolutionary was Red and Blue because kids liked the idea of having monster friends. No one would look towards Red and Blue for an RPG adventure when Final Fantasy already existed.

And yes, I do not forgive any company that ever sells a 5$ game for a AAA price. But there is only one company whose fans ask me to be grateful and (not you) tell me to be forgiving for a game company effectively scamming people. My point still stands, if any other company showed that pre alpha footage in a trailer for a game set to release in one year, they would have been the laughing stock of the entire community. It's only Pokemon where everyone somehow lowers their standard so much that some even begin to tell others to be grateful.

Ultra Beast Lover

As long as the game doesn't crash like my Lego Batman 3 game always does after story mode, I'm fine. Seriously, story mode is fine but the moment I get to freeplay mode and have one dance party with the Young Justice crew it crashes but that's for another forum.

Anyways, my point is, as long as there's an attempt at making a quality game with a good story, as few glitches as possible because every game has glitches, decent framerate, and good mechanics I'm fine with them testing the waters with this game.

DanZamVA

NOTE :- I don't want to ruin your fun.

I sure wasn't told by 12 people that I should be grateful that Ubisoft is releasing the next Assassin's creed when I said the combat is stupidly repetitive and the story is lacking.

And there are always people who like the game. There are always people who hate the game. But this concept that I should be forgiving and understanding after I paid 60 $ for the game ?

I said it once and I'll say it again, I'm not a beta tester for your game. You (GF) don't sell me a product at 60 $ and get away with it by saying we will improve later. I paid for this game. I want to play this game. I'm not donating you money.

It's the same company that never once bothered to change it's super exploitable enemy AI or the outdated battle mechanics in 25 years. Legends also has the same system as evident from the UI shown in the end of the direct.

EA has probably become the worst offenders of game companies using unhealthy business practices. But NO, Pokemon is far worse than EA or any other game developer.

EA has atleast published great games in the past. Mass Effect 1 & 2, Titanfall and also released Star Wars : Jedi Fallen Order which is a good game. Not the best of their generation or year, but good games that enough content for 60. Good combat, interesting storylines, great graphics etc.

Pokemon however has never once released a game that is even close to high effort indie games (Hades again, for reference). The only one that was revolutionary was Red and Blue because kids liked the idea of having monster friends. No one would look towards Red and Blue for an RPG adventure when Final Fantasy already existed.

And yes, I do not forgive any company that ever sells a 5$ game for a AAA price. But there is only one company whose fans ask me to be grateful and (not you) tell me to be forgiving for a game company effectively scamming people. My point still stands, if any other company showed that pre alpha footage in a trailer for a game set to release in one year, they would have been the laughing stock of the entire community. It's only Pokemon where everyone somehow lowers their standard so much that some even begin to tell others to be grateful.
I personally disagree, especially since EA didn't even want to do Jedi Fallen Order, especially considering the fact they have come out and stated multiple times they don't believe single player games sell. Granted they are wrong, but that doesn't exactly make them good or better. Also I have zero idea why you're referring to GF as (me) and me trying to sell you the game. I don't give a single care in the world what you think of the game or trying to sell it to you. That's not the slightest bit what I have been doing, and have been merely voicing my opinions and thoughts over the concept and game as an overall whole. You don't like what they are doing, that's fine, that's your prerogative and you are entitled to it.

You however don't need to sit around and make accusations and assumptions that I am personally trying to sell you on the idea of a game, when that's entirely not what I am doing. Especially when I even stated in a previous comment how I am not forgiving or excusing the Pokemon Company for everything they do, and am only going to be more considerate of bugs as I specifically state "If this game is empty, poorly optimized, horrendous pop in, or anything of the sort like that that was like in SwSh and doesn't improve upon those aspects this game is a flop". Yet to me, it sounds like you so conveniently chose to leave out those matters that I spoke of, or only chose to read what you wanted to read.

If the game turns out that it's still this bad closer to release, no way am I going to be sitting and telling people "Oh, it's great" or "oh, you're just being paranoid" because I'm not stupid. I'm here to discuss the overall design of the game, improvements I think can be made, issues I think need to be fixed upon, and things like that. As we know little information, of course I'm not going to make a baseless accusation at the start claiming that the game is due to fail from the get go. I'm going to look into it more as it releases and continue to formulate my opinions based off the actual facts and information we receive, and not just witch hunt them right from the get go all the while keeping my expectations relatively in check, since I know they can fail, which I have mentioned MULTIPLE times on this thread.

If you don't like the stuff a company is putting out, that's fine. You're entitled to that opinion, and can hate what you want. I'm not going to argue with you over game development practices, sales practices, and all of that on a thread just talking about a game that's over a year out with no information other than a small 2 minute trailer with nothing shown. Nor am I sitting here saying "Go out and buy the game. It's going to be great", not once have I stated that this company is excused from all actions that they do because they are Pokemon. I have things I am more lenient on regardless of company when it comes to bigger games, based entirely on how game breaking or poor it ends up being to the overall enjoyability and scale of the game. If you truly think I was trying to "sell" you the game though, then you need to get your priorities straight my friend.

I don't care about "selling" you a game, I care about discussing things with people to figure out more about the games while keeping expectations for myself in check. I am NOT a sales representative for you to assume is trying to sell you a product, when I have mentioned my weariness towards this game. So if you were trying to make a baseless accusation I was trying to sell you this game, then I am going to have to kindly ask you to back off, because I am not about that kind of pity behavior. If you weren't though, then I will apologize first on my account of misunderstanding your use of "(you) GF" and "(not you) telling me to be forgiving". Because it sure sounds like you're putting words in my mouth, which I am not liking.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
I personally disagree, especially since EA didn't even want to do Jedi Fallen Order, especially considering the fact they have come out and stated multiple times they don't believe single player games sell. Granted they are wrong, but that doesn't exactly make them good or better. Also I have zero idea why you're referring to GF as (me) and me trying to sell you the game. I don't give a single care in the world what you think of the game or trying to sell it to you. That's not the slightest bit what I have been doing, and have been merely voicing my opinions and thoughts over the concept and game as an overall whole. You don't like what they are doing, that's fine, that's your prerogative and you are entitled to it.

You however don't need to sit around and make accusations and assumptions that I am personally trying to sell you on the idea of a game, when that's entirely not what I am doing. Especially when I even stated in a previous comment how I am not forgiving or excusing the Pokemon Company for everything they do, and am only going to be more considerate of bugs as I specifically state "If this game is empty, poorly optimized, horrendous pop in, or anything of the sort like that that was like in SwSh and doesn't improve upon those aspects this game is a flop". Yet to me, it sounds like you so conveniently chose to leave out those matters that I spoke of, or only chose to read what you wanted to read.

If the game turns out that it's still this bad closer to release, no way am I going to be sitting and telling people "Oh, it's great" or "oh, you're just being paranoid" because I'm not stupid. I'm here to discuss the overall design of the game, improvements I think can be made, issues I think need to be fixed upon, and things like that. As we know little information, of course I'm not going to make a baseless accusation at the start claiming that the game is due to fail from the get go. I'm going to look into it more as it releases and continue to formulate my opinions based off the actual facts and information we receive, and not just witch hunt them right from the get go all the while keeping my expectations relatively in check, since I know they can fail, which I have mentioned MULTIPLE times on this thread.

If you don't like the stuff a company is putting out, that's fine. You're entitled to that opinion, and can hate what you want. I'm not going to argue with you over game development practices, sales practices, and all of that on a thread just talking about a game that's over a year out with no information other than a small 2 minute trailer with nothing shown. Nor am I sitting here saying "Go out and buy the game. It's going to be great", not once have I stated that this company is excused from all actions that they do because they are Pokemon. I have things I am more lenient on regardless of company when it comes to bigger games, based entirely on how game breaking or poor it ends up being to the overall enjoyability and scale of the game. If you truly think I was trying to "sell" you the game though, then you need to get your priorities straight my friend.

I don't care about "selling" you a game, I care about discussing things with people to figure out more about the games while keeping expectations for myself in check. I am NOT a sales representative for you to assume is trying to sell you a product, when I have mentioned my weariness towards this game. So if you were trying to make a baseless accusation I was trying to sell you this game, then I am going to have to kindly ask you to back off, because I am not about that kind of pity behavior. If you weren't though, then I will apologize first on my account of misunderstanding your use of "(you) GF" and "(not you) telling me to be forgiving". Because it sure sounds like you're putting words in my mouth, which I am not liking.
I was saying that by you I don't mean you but rather GF. I specifically said "Not you" to avoid such confusion.

I am blaming GF for trying to sell me the game. Not you.

This is a mistake on my part if you felt that way. I had no intent of saying that you are trying to sell me the game. I mentioned GF in the bracket to show that I was talking about GF, not that you are working for GF or anything like that.

Just thought that qouting you would make it feel "You" mean yourself. My point was always about GF.

DanZamVA

I was saying that by you I don't mean you but rather GF. I specifically said "Not you" to avoid such confusion.

I am blaming GF for trying to sell me the game. Not you.
In which case that's my apologies, as I wasn't sure over the exact framework over your phrasing. I understood it and took it as you were referring to me and GF which was where I got confused over the message you were trying to convey.

Manbis

Beginning from this Game and Gen 9 i fully expect 100% full Voiceover. Pokemon Sword felt so incredible awkward without Voices especially the intro with Rose and the Gymleader Scene. Its time for pokemon to catch up to videogaming in 202x and not stay behind by 10-15 years in technology.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I mean I'd prefer pokemon and gamefreaks way then CD's way tbh. Show me the game is in progress so that if we get it and it's not up to snuff people can't say they were lied to. CD and EA are way freaking shadier then pokemon. Gamefreak could have pulled a CD and not told everyone about the full dex not being in SS but they told us way before and gave us an option.

If legends is bad in a year, well at least we knew before hand that it was looking a little rough.

Also maybe this is just me, but I don't compare pokemon to other games because it is just so unique so comparing it to Assassins Creed or Breath of the Wild and then being mad that pokemon isn't that just seems weird to me. Pokemon has no real competition in it's market and I can't think of another game like it.

My only standard for pokemon is if it is an improvement over the game before it and if it is, I'm happy.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I mean I'd prefer pokemon and gamefreaks way then CD's way tbh. Show me the game is in progress so that if we get it and it's not up to snuff people can't say they were lied to. CD and EA are way freaking shadier then pokemon. Gamefreak could have pulled a CD and not told everyone about the full dex not being in SS but they told us way before and gave us an option.

If legends is bad in a year, well at least we knew before hand that it was looking a little rough.

Also maybe this is just me, but I don't compare pokemon to other games because it is just so unique so comparing it to Assassins Creed or Breath of the Wild and then being mad that pokemon isn't that just seems weird to me. Pokemon has no real competition in it's market and I can't think of another game like it.

My only standard for pokemon is if it is an improvement over the game before it and if it is, I'm happy.

Same, that and at least 6 new pokemon for me to like.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm hoping that the Pokedex reads like the Spiderwick Chronicles Field Guide. It includes basic information on mythical creatures such as Brownies but it also has little notes on specific instances of the species that Arthur had encountered, these little notes talk about what said creature was like or a funny/creepy thing they did. It also has their "scientific name."

So, for example, Chimchar's page(s) could talk about its behavior, personality, abilities, "scientific name", but little notes scattered on say the second page could say stuff like, "Chimchar is partial to head pats," or, "Chimchar stole another oran berry pancake while I wasn't looking, he appears to be able to eat them without getting sick."

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So when do you guys think we'll hear more news about this game??

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Makes sense well hopefully the DP remakes reveal something interesting about them to hold us over then :/...